Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Architecture, Real-Estate & Buildings 
Thread started 15 Jul 2010 (Thursday) 14:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

A thread for real estate, architectural, and interior design photography

rgs
Goldmember
2,328 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Joined Jun 2007
Post edited over 3 years ago by rgs.

May 02, 2016 07:14 |  #8086

Scott Spellman wrote in post #17992592 (external link)
Much better RE photo, but you have to straighten the verticals, and that is easier when you shoot at eye level and use a bubble level to confirm the camera is perfectly straight.

Agree about verticals but I have found mid chest level is usually best. Eye level makes ceilings too prominent while mid chest emphasizes floors and the room overall. My clients have been quite specific about floors being more important than ceilings. I set my tripod height when I first arrive and usually never change it throughout the house. That gives a consistent look to the set.

Canon 7d MkII, Canon 50D, Pentax 67, Canon 30D, Baker Custom 4x5, Canon EF 24-104mm f4, Canon EF 100mm f2.8 Macro, Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC

The Singular Image (external link)Richard Smith Photography (external link)
Richard Smith Real Estate Photography (external link)500PX (external link)
Fine Art America (external link)

sponsored links
PhotosGuy
75,877 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

May 02, 2016 08:06 |  #8087

Scott Spellman wrote in post #17992592 (external link)
Much better RE photo, but you have to straighten the verticals, and that is easier when you shoot at eye level and use a bubble level to confirm the camera is perfectly straight.

I bought one of those once, & found that it was faster & easier to aim at a point on the opposite wall that was the same height as the camera.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

cccc
Goldmember
2,017 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Joined Dec 2008

May 02, 2016 10:25 |  #8088

rgs wrote in post #17992792 (external link)
Agree about verticals but I have found mid chest level is usually best. Eye level makes ceilings too prominent while mid chest emphasizes floors and the room overall. My clients have been quite specific about floors being more important than ceilings. I set my tripod height when I first arrive and usually never change it throughout the house. That gives a consistent look to the set.

I generally shoot the same way. However shooting too low in kitchens and bathrooms makes it hard to capture the countertops properly - you can lose a sense of depth by not getting the camera high enough!

rgs
Goldmember
2,328 posts
Joined Jun 2007

May 02, 2016 10:27 |  #8089

cccc wrote in post #17992958 (external link)
I generally shoot the same way. However shooting too low in kitchens and bathrooms makes it hard to capture the countertops properly - you can lose a sense of depth by not getting the camera high enough!

Kitchens a re my most common exception.

Canon 7d MkII, Canon 50D, Pentax 67, Canon 30D, Baker Custom 4x5, Canon EF 24-104mm f4, Canon EF 100mm f2.8 Macro, Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC

tytlyf
129 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2015
Post edited over 3 years ago by tytlyf. (2 edits in all)

May 02, 2016 19:26 |  #8090

One from today, 1 exposure + window pull. Hand-held flash bounced behind at walls.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Canon 6D - 16-35 F/4L IS - 24-105 F/4L IS
www.FLREphotography.co​m
flickr (external link)

cccc
Goldmember
2,017 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Joined Dec 2008

May 02, 2016 21:27 as a reply to  @ tytlyf's post |  #8091

Very clean, maybe less "clarity", otherwise a nice shot!

airbutchie
Not too crunchy
12,931 posts
Gallery: 302 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Oct 2006

May 03, 2016 12:07 |  #8092

Inside Staples Center during player introductions....

Thank You Clipper Nation!!!

IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7080/26770671156_a75f1a5d0f_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/GMCF​RN  (external link) Thank You Clipper Nation!!! (external link) by Air Butchie (external link), on Flickr

We've been eliminated by the Portland Trailblazers last week... Womp womp... :( Although the injuries to CP3 and Blake Griffin, in the post season, was a big blow to our team, we fought as hard as they could to stay in the game... Unfortunately it wasn't enough... Our season is done... As well as my yearly contract... Hopefully they liked my work enough to hire me again next season... With that, here's one of my favorite capture during the 2015-2016 season... Great job, fellas... I couldn't be more proud of our team!!!

:D

Hi. My name is Butch...
Complete Gear List | Flickr Vault (external link) | Instagram (external link)

rgs
Goldmember
2,328 posts
Joined Jun 2007

May 03, 2016 12:34 |  #8093

airbutchie wrote in post #17994501 (external link)
Inside Staples Center during player introductions....

Thank You Clipper Nation!!!

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/GMCF​RN  (external link) Thank You Clipper Nation!!! (external link) by Air Butchie (external link), on Flickr

We've been eliminated by the Portland Trailblazers last week... Womp womp... :( Although the injuries to CP3 and Blake Griffin, in the post season, was a big blow to our team, we fought as hard as they could to stay in the game... Unfortunately it wasn't enough... Our season is done... As well as my yearly contract... Hopefully they liked my work enough to hire me again next season... With that, here's one of my favorite capture during the 2015-2016 season... Great job, fellas... I couldn't be more proud of our team!!!

:D

Sounds like fun and I really like that shot. Fortunately my Thunder are still in the hunt. WE have been lucky here to have had CP3 for a couple of years and to watch Blake grow up. Your team has really improved in the last few years. Good luck next year - except when in OKC. :)

airbutchie
Not too crunchy
12,931 posts
Gallery: 302 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Oct 2006

May 03, 2016 15:17 |  #8094

rgs wrote in post #17994554 (external link)
Sounds like fun and I really like that shot. Fortunately my Thunder are still in the hunt. WE have been lucky here to have had CP3 for a couple of years and to watch Blake grow up. Your team has really improved in the last few years. Good luck next year - except when in OKC. :)

Noted, Richard!!! Hehehehe... All the best to OKC against DA SPURS!!!

:)

Hi. My name is Butch...
Complete Gear List | Flickr Vault (external link) | Instagram (external link)

tytlyf
129 posts
Joined Jan 2015

May 03, 2016 16:10 |  #8095

cccc wrote in post #17993755 (external link)
Very clean, maybe less "clarity", otherwise a nice shot!

Thank you. clarity in LR is around 20. I have recently begun 'eyeing' the blacks and dropping them lower than normal. What's a good indicator in the image that shows it's too much clarity for future reference?

www.FLREphotography.co​m
flickr (external link)

mltn
353 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Sep 2010

May 03, 2016 16:30 |  #8096

tytlyf wrote in post #17994800 (external link)
Thank you. clarity in LR is around 20. I have recently begun 'eyeing' the blacks and dropping them lower than normal. What's a good indicator in the image that shows it's too much clarity for future reference?

Obviously I can't speak for Chad, but when you look at the edges of various objects in the image, and you see any kind of artifact or halo, that's a good indicator that you over did it.

If I'm using clarity, it's no more than 5-10, for whatever that's worth. If your glass is sharp, and your focus is good, I don't personally think you need to add any sharpening/clarity.

tytlyf
129 posts
Joined Jan 2015

May 03, 2016 16:37 |  #8097

mltn wrote in post #17994820 (external link)
Obviously I can't speak for Chad, but when you look at the edges of various objects in the image, and you see any kind of artifact or halo, that's a good indicator that you over did it.

If I'm using clarity, it's no more than 5-10, for whatever that's worth. If your glass is sharp, and your focus is good, I don't personally think you need to add any sharpening/clarity.

Thanks for the info. In the image, what stands out to you? I wonder if dehaze would add to that clarity effect?

www.FLREphotography.co​m
flickr (external link)

mltn
353 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Sep 2010

May 03, 2016 17:18 |  #8098

tytlyf wrote in post #17994830 (external link)
Thanks for the info. In the image, what stands out to you? I wonder if dehaze would add to that clarity effect?

Yes I think it would, that also produces artifacts to some degree. If you look at some of the edges in your image, whether it's the window frame, wall corner, etc. some look just a bit too sharp. There's also a very subtle halo on some of these edges, which is caused by adding clarity. The clarity is adjusting local contrast, so finely textured surfaces, such as that carpet may be more prominent than before, which isn't necessarily adding anything to quality of the image.

I'd say use selective clarity with the brush tool if anything. Those edges don't need to be extra sharp, so you can just paint in a little bit on whatever part of the image needs it.

It's a subtle thing for sure, clarity gives you somewhat of an HDR look, which I am personally no longer a fan of. I would have given the opposite answer back in 2010 however.

philmar
Cream of the Crop
7,818 posts
Gallery: 103 photos
Joined Jan 2007

May 07, 2016 12:34 |  #8099

IMAGE: https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1617/26662756181_2e8c8d841e_o.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/GC6A​uM  (external link) Guggenheim museum - Manhattan (external link) by Phil Marion (external link), on Flickr

A photo I took HERE published in National GeographicTime on your hands? Then HERE'S plenty more photos to nibble on (external link):
http://https …photos/phil_mar​ion/albums (external link)

lax2dfw
68 posts
Gallery: 22 photos
Joined Dec 2010

May 07, 2016 21:55 |  #8100

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links

2,058,871 views & 1,711 likes for this thread
A thread for real estate, architectural, and interior design photography
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Architecture, Real-Estate & Buildings 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.