Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases 
Thread started 12 Apr 2016 (Tuesday) 16:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How does anyone pack camera gear with carryon for flights?

disneydork06
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,312 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Aug 2006

May 09, 2016 16:00 as a reply to  @ post 18000474 |  #16

I wish I knew how to pack just enough clothing to bring on trips. I always overpack clothes.

Ryan
~AZ POTN Planned Activities (external link)
let me know how I can improve, cause we all know I need it :): Flickr (external link)
myspace (external link) facebook (external link) The Greatest online forum known on Earthtwitter (external link)[URL="http://www.500px​.com/RDimal"]500xp follow me! in something^ you know you want to

sponsored links
Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
6,298 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Jul 2012

May 09, 2016 16:05 |  #17

Pack your clothes and the day before you are going to leave, go in and remove 25% of all clothes, knowing that laundromats are always available pretty much everywhere in a worst case scenario. If you didn't run into trouble, do this again next time.

Sam
5D4 | 6D | 7D2 (2 bodies) | Reasonably good glass
Gear List

flickr (external link)
If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

Archibald
You must be quackers!
8,411 posts
Gallery: 380 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008

May 09, 2016 16:42 |  #18

Scrumhalf wrote in post #18001455 (external link)
Pack your clothes and the day before you are going to leave, go in and remove 25% of all clothes, knowing that laundromats are always available pretty much everywhere in a worst case scenario. If you didn't run into trouble, do this again next time.

I usually pack one set of clothes, plus I have what I'm wearing. That way I don't have to do the laundry with no clothes on.

I heard of a business traveller who travelled lighter than that. On the flight out, a flight attendant spilled a glass of milk all over his pants. The airline offered to have the pants dry-cleaned, but he had to decline because he had nothing else to wear.

Sony RX10 IV, Canon 7D2, Canon 77D, assorted Canon lenses
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
6,298 posts
Joined Jul 2012

May 09, 2016 16:45 |  #19

Yeah, once you have mastered the art of doing laundry in your hotel room and using the clothesline to dry your clothes (works great with synthetic travel garments from a specialized travel store), you pretty much have unlimited range. I did a 15 day business trip once with 3 sets of clothes, including the one I was wearing. Had to do laundry every day and have 1 spare in case of mishaps, but I could have gone indefinitely with them.

Sam
Gear List

flickr (external link)
If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,413 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Mar 2009

May 09, 2016 16:59 |  #20

My g/f also packs thing IN things. Stuffs 2-3 pairs of socks inside a pair of shoes or rolls up several pieces of underwear in a single shirt, for example. Also, not flat-folding; roll things up so they can be stacked in closer and on end. Works best if using travel garments like Sam mentions, as they don't tend to stay wrinkled after this sort of treatment.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

Archibald
You must be quackers!
8,411 posts
Gallery: 380 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008

May 09, 2016 17:08 |  #21

Snydremark wrote in post #18001531 (external link)
My g/f also packs thing IN things. Stuffs 2-3 pairs of socks inside a pair of shoes or rolls up several pieces of underwear in a single shirt, for example. Also, not flat-folding; roll things up so they can be stacked in closer and on end. Works best if using travel garments like Sam mentions, as they don't tend to stay wrinkled after this sort of treatment.

Packing shoes? That's an unknown concept to me.

I have one of those expensive travel shirts, but unfortunately it is wrinkled all the time. It dries fast, but just always looks dishevilled. Maybe it's time to try a different brand.

Sony RX10 IV, Canon 7D2, Canon 77D, assorted Canon lenses
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

TerryMiller
323 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Sep 2013

May 09, 2016 17:45 |  #22

Scrumhalf wrote in post #18001508 (external link)
Yeah, once you have mastered the art of doing laundry in your hotel room and using the clothesline to dry your clothes (works great with synthetic travel garments from a specialized travel store), you pretty much have unlimited range. I did a 15 day business trip once with 3 sets of clothes, including the one I was wearing. Had to do laundry every day and have 1 spare in case of mishaps, but I could have gone indefinitely with them.

This is what you do if you want to not check bags. A briefcase and a carry on with three sets of clothes. A camera bag the size of a briefcase if you want that instead.

my gear: T4i - EF-s 17-55, Ef-s 55-250 is stm, EF-S 10-22 usm, ef 100mm 2.8 macro

disneydork06
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,312 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Aug 2006

May 10, 2016 19:36 |  #23

I just had to pack dress shoes in my duffel for my trip. Took up so much room. Wore my everyday shoes onto the plane. If it wasn't for that then I'd be better off with a lighter pack. I think I need to find a skinnier backpack to lug my camera gear in. My thinktank streetwalker and small duffel are around the same size...

Ryan
~AZ POTN Planned Activities (external link)
let me know how I can improve, cause we all know I need it :): Flickr (external link)
myspace (external link) facebook (external link) The Greatest online forum known on Earthtwitter (external link)[URL="http://www.500px​.com/RDimal"]500xp follow me! in something^ you know you want to

Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
6,298 posts
Joined Jul 2012

May 10, 2016 19:49 |  #24

This site has some good tips, especially in terms of keeping the wrinkles to a minimum. I found it useful years ago when I stopped checking in luggage.

http://www.onebag.com/ (external link)

Sam
Gear List

flickr (external link)

kiapolo
868 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Nov 2010
Post edited over 3 years ago by kiapolo.

May 20, 2016 16:10 |  #25

For me when travelling with my camera gear, my carryon will have my clothes and non-camera equipment. My "personal item" carry on will be my camera gear (of varying size depending on what I'm taking). That usually suffices.

| kiapolo.com (external link) (blog) | Gear List | Flickr (external link) | YouTube (external link) | 2012 Project 366 (external link) |

sponsored links

5,266 views & 8 likes for this thread
How does anyone pack camera gear with carryon for flights?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.