Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 09 May 2016 (Monday) 14:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New Zealand (south island) Trip Suggestions

TS656577
59 posts
Joined Apr 2009

May 09, 2016 14:45 |  #1

Hey everyone. I'm going to be heading to NZ for work. Sadly it's only for 3 days (2 of which are essentially open to do what I want though). I'll be flying into Christchurch and heading to Lake Tekapo for some meetings at the hydroelectric dam there. I'll be staying in Twizel and have my own car. Can anyone give me some suggestions of things to see/do while I'm there during 2 free days? I also considered doing some fishing. Any help is appreciated!

sponsored links
Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,239 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 2 years ago by Wilt.

May 09, 2016 15:31 |  #2

You are somewhat close to Aoraki Mt Cook, and the Tasman Glacier located near there, and there is a boat tour on Tasman Glacier Lake to icebergs on the water. Unfortunately we were rained out when we visited Mount Cook and could not go on the boat.

Fox Glacier and Franz Josef are a long drive, you have to go south to Wanaka before heading north to Fox Glacier and Franz Josef Glacier. The highway going north from the Franz Josef Glacier along the coast of the Tasman Sea is an absolutely gorgeous drive! Well worth the drive -- if you have time!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,065 posts
Gallery: 140 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

May 09, 2016 16:08 |  #3

If you're into photographing wildlife, you may want to look into opportunities for Red Deer stags. New Zealand has one of the world's most photogenic Red Deer herds, and some of the world's biggest stags. Because they are in the southern hemisphere, I think that your upcoming visit may synchronize quite nicely with their annual rut.

So, you've got one of the world's most striking species of wildlife, at the time of year when they are easiest to photograph and create the most dramatic images. And you just happen to be there at that time.......how fortuitous is that?!!!

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Wilt
40,239 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 2 years ago by Wilt. (2 edits in all)

May 09, 2016 16:29 |  #4

And after you have checked in and dropped off your luggage for your flight from Christchurch, you can walk a short distance to the International Antarctic Centre!
Or you can get back to Christchurch a bit sooner than planned, and spend some time at Ko Tane, a Maori cultural activity.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

TerminalCity
237 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Apr 2013
Post edited over 2 years ago by TerminalCity with reason 'Brain failure'.

May 09, 2016 16:50 |  #5

When are you coming? Two days probably won't leave you a lot of time to do much travel and some spots can be a bit weather dependant. Nice part of the country to travel to though.
If you do Facebook, I'd suggest asking on this group as well and you'll get some more ideas:
Edit: fixed the link :oops:
https://www.facebook.c​om/groups/814054371965​442/ (external link)

TS656577
THREAD ­ STARTER
59 posts
Joined Apr 2009

May 09, 2016 20:19 as a reply to  @ TerminalCity's post |  #6

Yea Im upset it's really only 2 days. But I have to be back stateside by Thursday evening. That's why I was looking for ideas to maximize my time. I'm really excited. It's always been a place I wanted to go and I hope to go back some day for a longer period.

TerminalCity
237 posts
Joined Apr 2013

May 10, 2016 03:12 as a reply to  @ TS656577's post |  #7

Oh crumbs, sorry I meant this group!
https://www.facebook.c​om/groups/814054371965​442/ (external link)

TS656577
THREAD ­ STARTER
59 posts
Joined Apr 2009

May 10, 2016 08:50 as a reply to  @ TerminalCity's post |  #8

Ah perfect, thanks for the help! Is there anything in and around Christchurch worth seeing? And are there any laws or things to look out for while out and about? I plan on be doing mostly landscape/wildlife type pictures.

tim
Light Bringer
50,923 posts
Joined Nov 2004

May 10, 2016 17:45 |  #9

The South Island is bigger than it looks on the map, though Chch to Lake Tekapo is only 3 hours or so.

Fox / Franz Joseph Glacier would be a good idea. Get a helicopter tour, but call the day before and if it's looking like it'll be cancelled then don't bother going. We were there one Christmas (ie middle of summer), it rained for 5 days, washed a bridge out, washed out power and communications lines (but some places have generators), and we didn't get to go up. That whole area is picturesque.

Christchurch is nice, but is still recovering from the earthquake that was around 6 years ago.

Re deer / stags above, I think seeing them could take time and patience. I've never seen any, but I've never looked.

@Antarion recently did a similar tour, he may have some suggestions.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

TerminalCity
237 posts
Joined Apr 2013

May 10, 2016 21:21 as a reply to  @ TS656577's post |  #10

For wildlife close to town, there's Travis Wetland (external link), close to town landscape options are mainly seascape stuff around New Brighton and Sumner / Taylors Mistake areas. Can be hard to find good / unique foreground interest though. The New Brighton Pier (external link) is popular at sunrise.

There are interesting places to be found up in the Port Hills, but better landscape material can be found in North Canterbury - in saying that you'll find a lot on your trip through to Tekapo.
The inner city is a bit of a mixed bag; lots of construction work, safety fences galore and you'll be sick of the sight of road cones by the time you leave! But there are some nice parks, the Botanic Gardens & Hagley Park.

Nothing really to watch out for legally over here for this type of photography; cliff notes: you can essentially photograph anything you can see from a public place. It's generally lawful to photograph people in public places / visible from public land unless they are in a place where they can reasonably expect privacy.
It's ok to take photos on private land unless you've been told you can't / are trespassing. Basically just common sense stuff really, it's a pretty good country for photographers really.

djr81
91 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Nov 2013

May 10, 2016 21:51 |  #11

Would suggest continuing on to Wanaka which is very nice. Also the lakes near Lake Tekapo in the sunshine are just stunning.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

TS656577
THREAD ­ STARTER
59 posts
Joined Apr 2009

May 12, 2016 07:02 as a reply to  @ djr81's post |  #12

Thanks for all of your suggestions! I think I may try to get some night milky way shots if I can. I believe I've read that Mount Cook is a good location for that.

Wilt
40,239 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 2 years ago by Wilt. (4 edits in all)

May 12, 2016 09:44 |  #13

TS656577 wrote in post #18004419 (external link)
Thanks for all of your suggestions! I think I may try to get some night milky way shots if I can. I believe I've read that Mount Cook is a good location for that.

My wife and I did go out at night to view the stars when we stayed at Mt Cook. Not only do you get to appreciate the huge quantity of stars visible in the very dark night sky, but if you are not from the Southern Hemisphere you see a whole new sky which is unfamilar to you! I made no attempt to photograph the night sky, I was too engrossed in simply viewing it in all its wonders. Besides, taking a tripod is problematic, with the weight restrictions in carryon baggage (7kg) that the NZ airline imposed flying from USA

FuzzSummit
882 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined Oct 2009

May 12, 2016 13:59 |  #14

Given where you'll be and the time you have, I'd recommend staying in the area -- there's enough to keep you occupied.

A trip to Mount Cook is a must since you'll be so close. Just the drive up Highway 8 is reason enough:

IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7418/26221933723_749f0839ae_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/FX9g​kz  (external link) Aoraki/Mount Cook (external link) by Faisal Syed (external link), on Flickr

The short walk up Hooker Valley is a must-do:

IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7566/26701379490_6ced73722a_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/GFvx​RU  (external link) Hooker Valley (external link) by Faisal Syed (external link), on Flickr

Great reflections at the end of the walk:
IMAGE: https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8651/16210463028_28d8d9a116_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/qGsR​TS  (external link) First light (external link) by Faisal Syed (external link), on Flickr

The night sky is outstanding (especially in the winter, when the galactic core is up). Chuck in your tripod in your checked luggage -- it's worth it. The lakefront church at Lake Tekapo is a popular spot for Milky Way shots:

IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7701/26701378990_7e23dbc9a2_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/GFvx​Hh  (external link) Southern stars (external link) by Faisal Syed (external link), on Flickr

If you have time and interest, might be worthwhile checking out the Mt. John Observatory night tours. You get a great view of the night sky through the telescopes and a bit of astro education. If you bring your camera, they will put it on a tracking mount and capture some deep space objects for you as well while you're on the tour.

Website (external link) || Instagram (external link) || Facebook (external link) ||Blog (external link) ||
Canon 6D || Canon 16-35/2.8 | Canon 35/1.4 | Canon 50/1.4 | Canon 70-200/2.8 | Sigma 85/1.4

Wilt
40,239 posts
Joined Aug 2005

May 14, 2016 10:34 |  #15

TerminalCity wrote in post #18003014 (external link)
For wildlife close to town, there's ...

Drat, I thought I would learn about a great pub or dance club to visit!

sponsored links

4,308 views & 4 likes for this thread
New Zealand (south island) Trip Suggestions
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.