Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 09 May 2016 (Monday) 19:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

When do you stop buying gear?

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010
Post edited over 3 years ago by nathancarter.

May 10, 2016 11:29 |  #16

Luckless wrote in post #18002099 (external link)
Flip the question around.

When do you buy new gear/upgrade existing gear?

- When your current gear isn't enough to help you achieve your goals.

Yeah, pretty much this.
My gear isn't really limiting me right now; my "vision" and my skill at lighting, set design, pose direction, and retouching are my limiting factors.

New gear won't make a difference that's noticeable to my clients or subjects. Photographers might notice a difference, but impressing other photographers is very low on my list of priorities.

I could get incremental improvement by upgrading my aging 24-70 to a 24-70 vII. It's not as sharp as it could be.

I could get some OK improvement with a 135L or 85L. Or even a 85mm f/1.8 might be fun. But I already have those focal lengths covered with my extremely reliable and sharp 70-200 f/4L, and the results won't be markedly improved over the results I'm getting with that lens. Might get better bokeh, I guess. I don't need a shallower DOF.

I could get a "different" lighting look with a huge parabolic umbrella. Different isn't necessarily better, and my style tends more toward edgy, hard, dramatic lighting anyway. (still, this is one of the things on my shortlist)

I think my next purchase will be a Vagabond - so that I can take my higher-powered strobes out of the studio.

Also need to replace some aging & broken cheapo lightstands with some sturdier ones.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

sponsored links
garbidz
Goldmember
1,722 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2005
Post edited over 3 years ago by garbidz.

May 10, 2016 12:10 |  #17

Just moven into a smaller apartment and took sort of a critical look at all the possible and impossible photo related gadgets I had stored in various places in the house. It is clear the quality of my pictures would somehow improve if I had more 'stuff'. It isnt so. Better pictures is not the only reason to buy more stuff. It might not even be the most important one. There is a certain satisfaction in handling quality equipment. There is a certain satisfaction in owning it also though that seem to be getting less with age. Nowadays I am embarrassed if somebody comments about my camouflage-clad 5DIII with the Tamron 150-600 (also in camo) attached. The camo thing started up as a joke but people seem to think it looks very 'professional' whatever dirty thing that might mean.

It is dangerous to hang out on the photographic sites. Having got caught in a conversation your mind may start running in a 'got to have it'-circle and you end up ordering yet another 'best of the category' thing that you really did not even want before logging in. That's what happened to me with the TS-E 24mm. What a lovely piece of optical engineering! How I enjoyed figuring it out and the quality of the pictures it turned out. Just that it is heavy and when you make the compromise of what you want to carry along, it got left home a bit too often and I sold it.

So when will I stop buying more stuff? I felt I passed a certain level when I got the 50mm f/1.2 and the first pictures turned out exactly as I wanted them. Looking at the future, I could see myself getting the 6DII or the 5D IV at some point. But other than that, I feel that my buying spree has now come to an end.

It might have to do with the numbers my accountant presented to me for the fiscal year 2015.

bag

Casey ­ Jones
34 posts
Joined Jan 2010

May 11, 2016 10:36 |  #18

never - I'm always planning my next purchase... stupid budgets...

Canon 5DII | 70-200mm f/4L | 17-55mm f/2.8 | Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6 EX DC | 430 EX II | Yongnuo YN-486

njstacker22
703 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Mar 2014

May 11, 2016 10:41 |  #19

Last week after I bought an A7Rii... two months after I bought my A7ii.... a year and a half before I bought my 70D.

Yup, it's never ending!

Sony A7ii [Sony FE 16-35mm f/4] [Sony FE 28-70mm] [Rokinon 135mm F2] [Sony 50mm 1.8]
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/djbigley/ (external link)

flyfisher
Goldmember
1,048 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2004

May 11, 2016 11:39 |  #20

NEVER or When the wife says no and you have to Waite until her next extravagant purchase.

Steve

Canonuser123
709 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Dec 2014

May 11, 2016 12:51 |  #21

maverick75 wrote in post #18001741 (external link)
Whenever I run out of money.

Or I run out of old stuff to sell to get more money. I bought my 7D mark II and my Sigma 150-600mm by selling off old stuff, some of which I bought for very little money at thrift shops over the last 30 years.

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

May 12, 2016 10:10 |  #22

nathancarter wrote in post #18002368 (external link)
I think my next purchase will be a Vagabond - so that I can take my higher-powered strobes out of the studio.

Oops, just bought a Vagabond. This is a purchase that actually will improve my results :)

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

aladyforty
Goldmember
4,169 posts
Gallery: 281 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Dec 2005
Post edited over 3 years ago by aladyforty.

May 12, 2016 10:30 |  #23

Over the years Ive slowly upgraded both my crop and full frame cameras and purchased several great lenses. For a lot of years our income was great and we could afford this but about 18 months ago we took a huge hit and our income is now less than half what it was previously so no more new gear. I even had to sell a couple of lenses when times were really tough, something I now regret a lot so I'm pretty sure I will not sell anymore camera equipment. Have to say I'm very happy with the gear I have and just hope it holds out for a lot more years as I cant afford anymore upgrades. Guess if I could Id be looking at a 5D4 when it comes out but that will not be happening and to be honest I really think I get perfectly fine images from my 5D3 and 7D2 so its probably a good thing I cant upgrade and will have to use these two cameras for a long time

5D3 7D2 Canon G1X Fuji X100 Fuji X10 canon glass & the odd other brands https://500px.com/alad​yforty (external link)
My youtube channel https://www.youtube.co​m …wlc4zg?view_as=​subscriber (external link)

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,840 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined May 2011

May 12, 2016 11:18 |  #24

I just bought a 5Dc from a fellow POTN'er. It won't show up until mid next week.... but I'm excited. I know it's old and no longer supported by Canon..... I'm still looking forward to it. I upgraded my lenses after I sold my 7D2 so they'd work with my 1D IV. I'm looking forward to using my landscape lenses on an actual full frame camera.

I always budget money for camera gear. That's about all I spend money on. Every so often, I need a new shirt or a pair of shorts but other than that, most of my extra cash goes into camera gear. We already have enough other stuff, ala George Carlin's bit.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

aladyforty
Goldmember
4,169 posts
Joined Dec 2005

May 12, 2016 21:10 |  #25

Phoenixkh wrote in post #18004637 (external link)
I just bought a 5Dc from a fellow POTN'er. It won't show up until mid next week.... but I'm excited. I know it's old and no longer supported by Canon..... I'm still looking forward to it. I upgraded my lenses after I sold my 7D2 so they'd work with my 1D IV. I'm looking forward to using my landscape lenses on an actual full frame camera.

I always budget money for camera gear. That's about all I spend money on. Every so often, I need a new shirt or a pair of shorts but other than that, most of my extra cash goes into camera gear. We already have enough other stuff, ala George Carlin's bit.

You will like the 5DC, I had one and loved it. I was going to go with a 1D4 but got the 7DII instead, have found it a wonderful camera, most of my images are close to 5DIII quality, best decision in a crop camera I ever made

5D3 7D2 Canon G1X Fuji X100 Fuji X10 canon glass & the odd other brands https://500px.com/alad​yforty (external link)
My youtube channel https://www.youtube.co​m …wlc4zg?view_as=​subscriber (external link)

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,840 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined May 2011

May 12, 2016 21:14 |  #26

aladyforty wrote in post #18005167 (external link)
You will like the 5DC, I had one and loved it. I was going to go with a 1D4 but got the 7DII instead, have found it a wonderful camera, most of my images are close to 5DIII quality, best decision in a crop camera I ever made

I had problems with my 7D2... enough so Canon replaced it. I'm a bit anal retentive so I knew I'd be second guessing the new 7D2 instead of enjoying it. I had purchased my 1D IV while my 7D2 was back at Canon's repair center in NJ. I really only got it to make sure I wasn't imagining things with my 7D2. Long story short, I ended up keeping the 1D IV and selling the new replacement 7D2. I still subscribe to the main 7D2 thread here and I know it can be a stellar camera. Lots of great photographs show up on that thread.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

aladyforty
Goldmember
4,169 posts
Joined Dec 2005

May 12, 2016 21:19 |  #27

Phoenixkh wrote in post #18005171 (external link)
I had problems with my 7D2... enough so Canon replaced it. I'm a bit anal retentive so I knew I'd be second guessing the new 7D2 instead of enjoying it. I had purchased my 1D IV while my 7D2 was back at Canon's repair center in NJ. I really only got it to make sure I wasn't imagining things with my 7D2. Long story short, I ended up keeping the 1D IV and selling the new replacement 7D2. I still subscribe to the main 7D2 thread here and I know it can be a stellar camera. Lots of great photographs show up on that thread.

Yes I know with many cameras it seems it is pot luck with some of them. I have been lucky with every one Ive owned from way back in 2004, I loved my 1DIII but sold it to help finance 5DIII :-)

sponsored links

4,733 views & 17 likes for this thread
When do you stop buying gear?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.