Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 08 May 2016 (Sunday) 20:09
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Recommendation for inexpensive ~38" softbox for outdoor use?

kv968
159 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jul 2014

May 11, 2016 07:19 |  #16

MalVeauX wrote in post #18002408 (external link)
Heya,

I just looked on amazon (searched: grid brolly box) and they are available apparently (I don't have grids). (LINK) (external link).

I probably should sell my Fotodiox. It's bowen's mount. Great shape. I just have to find a way to box & ship it, because I'm sure the shipping would cost more than what it's worth to truly buy it used. It's on Amazon for $100 new basically. It would no doubt cost way too much to ship to be worth it to someone, which is why it just collects dust with me. Unless you know a better way to ship something that doesn't cost $60+ for something that big, since I don't have contracts with UPS, etc, like these companies do.

Very best,

The only problem is that's a 31" grid and we're talking 46" here. I'm not even sure if I would need one but I'd like the option and was just making sure that the Neweer had velcro on the inside rim to hold a grid and I guess it does.

And yeah shipping costs can cause a problem with buying certain items but I figured I'd just throw the offer out there if you were ever thinking of selling it. I can see by recent posts though how it looks like that Fotodiox can put some stress on the strobe at certain angles which I don't really like. However it does have an available grid which is a plus. Now if the 46" just becomes available on Amazon is a different story. I really don't need either but I'd just like to have a big octo just in case.

Kevin

instagram.com/shooting​anything (external link)

smaeda
Goldmember
1,290 posts
Joined Aug 2012

May 11, 2016 11:12 |  #17

MalVeauX wrote in post #18002786 (external link)
I do. It's good.

But it's also heavy, hangs on the end of the light, introduces a lot of torque and weight, and I work with it primarily outside in the wind. It puts a lot of weight and torque on the boom stand too, and I cannot reliably put it as high as I would like--I don't have an assistant, I work solo. Very well made modifier. Great output light. But, it's just the lack of portability, weight, and being front mounted makes it a lot harder to use reliably the way I work. I found the brolly boxes to be way, way lighter weight, centered on the light and boom, so no torque added, which puts less strain on the mount & boom arm, and I can get it higher, reliably, and get similar enough light output that I'm happy enough with the portability and light weight benefits that I'm willing to use a "lesser" product instead. Just my experience so far.

Ah that makes sense. I use the 48 Fotodiox currently and was thinking of getting a boom arm to get better angles but after reading your post makes me re-think my option. Thanks for the input!

https://instagram.com/​shintarodesign (external link)
www.shintarodesign.com (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/shintarodesign (external link)
Sony A7iii, Irix 15mm f2.4, Tamron 28-75mm f2.8, Zeiss 55mm f1.8, Sony FE 85mm f1.8, Sigma 135mm f1.8

Masa ­ Yume
36 posts
Joined Jun 2012

May 13, 2016 00:22 as a reply to  @ post 18002857 |  #18

Hi david, I read the article that you linked to, and I was thinking of buying the ad600/cheetah 600x with a fotodiox box, but I had a question.

You wrote "One word of caution, if you get the EZ-Pro boxes, get the Bowens S mount adapter from Cheetahstand. The EZ-Pro adapter ring places the flash tube about a 1/2 inch farther back in the box. Which I think is detrimental to good light from the modifier."

Are you saying that you use the AD600 Extension Head with the Cheetah Speed Pro S bracket? Or are you saying that you use the Cheetah Bowens Speedring in your Fotodiox box?

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

4,339 views & 3 likes for this thread
Recommendation for inexpensive ~38" softbox for outdoor use?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.