Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 14 May 2016 (Saturday) 17:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Has anyone bought from Cabela's?

howiewu
629 posts
Joined Feb 2011

May 14, 2016 17:32 |  #1

They seem to be specializing in hunting equipment. While I never hunt (except for bargains  :p), I came across a Manfrotto tripod that they carry whose price beats other retailer's.

It seems that they are quite reputable, but online reviews are few, but mixed.

Has anyone bought anything from them? What's your experience?

5DII, 70D
17-40mm f/4 USM L, 24-70mm f/4 IS USM L, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 IS USM L, 24mm f/3.5 TS-E L, 35mm f/2, 50mm f/1.4 USM, 100mm f/2.8 IS USM L, 300mm f/2.8 IS USM II L, 430 EX II, 270 EX II, 1.4x TC III, 2x TC III, Kenko Pro 300 1.4x TC
Home Page: http://www.travelerath​ome.com (external link), Blog: http://travelerathome.​wordpress.com (external link)

sponsored links
Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
19,066 posts
Gallery: 57 photos
Joined Mar 2009

May 14, 2016 17:52 |  #2

I've certainly purchased clothing and ammo from them in the past; I wouldn't have any qualms about ordering from them.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

Nortonski
603 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Oct 2013

May 14, 2016 18:25 |  #3

Bought a ton of gear through em when in the US, I've never had any issues with them or their after sales.

Perfectly ­ Frank
I'm too sexy for my lens
5,139 posts
Gallery: 95 photos
Joined Oct 2010

May 14, 2016 18:43 |  #4

http://www.resellerrat​ings.com/store/Cabela_​s (external link)

When you see my camera gear you'll think I'm a pro.
When you see my photos you'll know that I'm not.

My best aviation photos (external link)

pat.kane
693 posts
Joined May 2005

May 14, 2016 18:51 |  #5

The low score on resellerratings is shocking to me. This is a very reputable, large company, at least as a bricks and mortar store. I've bought from them online in the past without issue, though it hasn't been frequent.

1Dx Mk II, 5D4 and some L glass (gear list / feedback)
http://MaxPreps.DMVpix​.com (external link)
http://www.DMVpix.com (external link)

JM45ACP
701 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Joined Dec 2011

May 14, 2016 20:01 |  #6

I have one close to me and buy from them all the time clothes,fishing,huntin​g ,shooting ,camping gear etc and never had an issue some of their prices are on the high side but they're return policy is good. I'd have no problem buying from them.
John

5D MARK IV== 7D Mark II==7D == EF 24-105mm f4L IS USM == EF 100mm f/2.8LMacro==70-200mm f2.8L IS II USM == EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM UD == EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM==Speedlite 430 EX II PHOTO EDITING OK

crbinson
614 posts
Joined Jul 2012

May 14, 2016 22:28 |  #7

Another frequent shopper here. Have shipped to home and shopped in store. Never any issues.

My Flickr (external link) | My Gear List

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
51,872 posts
Gallery: 190 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited over 4 years ago by CyberDyneSystems.

May 14, 2016 22:50 |  #8

Cabela's is one of the old names in outfitters and outdoor apparel, sporting goods, etc.\
They've been around long before "Bass pro" shops for example.

10 years ago I would have bet they will treat you very well. Think L.L. Bean

The reseller ratings is indeed shocking. Maybe the economy has pushed them into lower customer service?

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

chevyzen
130 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2012

May 15, 2016 08:10 |  #9

I've never had an issue what with I have purchased from Cabela's in terms of quality. But I haven't bought anything from them in a year now, and don't see that changing. Mostly because of their credit card policy. Without getting into all the details, I cancelled that card, my membership and will never go back. 30 years of managing an excellent credit rating and this is the only card I've ever had an issue with. The customer service was terrible. Nobody knew what was going on, and they just didn't care. I always paid the balance, always. It got to the point, I would check the balance online, pay it, not use the card for the rest of the month, check the balance right before due, pay and extra 200 just because so a credit should show, and it did, and I would still get interest and late payment charges that i'd have to call for. This went on for months. To say I was pissed would be an understatement. I think they overextended themselves on building stores, and now they are short term survival mode, not caring that they're shooting themselves in the foot for the long term. I can't think of why a company that I felt so good about for so long, doesn't act like the store I once knew.

JM45ACP
701 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Joined Dec 2011

May 15, 2016 08:31 |  #10

chevyzen wrote in post #18007591 (external link)
I've never had an issue what with I have purchased from Cabela's in terms of quality. But I haven't bought anything from them in a year now, and don't see that changing. Mostly because of their credit card policy. Without getting into all the details, I cancelled that card, my membership and will never go back. 30 years of managing an excellent credit rating and this is the only card I've ever had an issue with. The customer service was terrible. Nobody knew what was going on, and they just didn't care. I always paid the balance, always. It got to the point, I would check the balance online, pay it, not use the card for the rest of the month, check the balance right before due, pay and extra 200 just because so a credit should show, and it did, and I would still get interest and late payment charges that i'd have to call for. This went on for months. To say I was pissed would be an understatement. I think they overextended themselves on building stores, and now they are short term survival mode, not caring that they're shooting themselves in the foot for the long term. I can't think of why a company that I felt so good about for so long, doesn't act like the store I once knew.

Come to think of it I had their credit card I got it for a promotion they had at Christmas time used it once payed it off and didn't use it again the interest rate was way too high and I didn't feel like dealing with them to try to get it lowered I received a letter in the mail maybe two years or so later that because of inactivity on the card they were canceling it not me. If I remember correctly at the time it was also kind of a pain to pay off they didn't have any provisions for direct pay you had to go on their site and use a debit/credit card to pay the balance. I could be wrong but I believe their credit card is done thru Cabela's and not a bank. Funny part was that even though I didn't use it for some reason it would build up points Id be at the register and the clerk would ask me if I wanted to use my points finally I asked how many are on it I figured about $2 but it was like $45 I went and bought some clothes with it the next time same thing except it was for $70 that and some coupons I used on a Sig P238. That was the last time it happened.

5D MARK IV== 7D Mark II==7D == EF 24-105mm f4L IS USM == EF 100mm f/2.8LMacro==70-200mm f2.8L IS II USM == EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM UD == EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM==Speedlite 430 EX II PHOTO EDITING OK

Capn ­ Jack
Goldmember
4,839 posts
Gallery: 2017 photos
Joined Mar 2010

May 15, 2016 08:35 |  #11

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18007380 (external link)
Cabela's is one of the old names in outfitters and outdoor apparel, sporting goods, etc.\
They've been around long before "Bass pro" shops for example.

10 years ago I would have bet they will treat you very well. Think L.L. Bean

The reseller ratings is indeed shocking. Maybe the economy has pushed them into lower customer service?

I'm a bit shocked at the low seller ratings too. They are near me and have been around a long time. They have been doing quite well. People have been stockpiling ammunition and some firearms. Almost anytime there is a shooting that makes major headlines and get Washington DC interested, people buy more ammo and there is a shortage for a few months.

Having said that, their credit card business, although a cash cow (http://www.omaha.com …21-a168-1ad3bc2f0472.html (external link) ), has been charged with deceptive practices (http://fortune.com …redit-card-ripoff-update/ (external link) )

howiewu
THREAD ­ STARTER
629 posts
Joined Feb 2011

May 15, 2016 09:18 |  #12

Thanks for all the replies! Seems like they only ship to their stores (at least for the tripod I am interested in), but there are no stores near me, so I may have to go with another vendor. But thanks for the info.

5DII, 70D
17-40mm f/4 USM L, 24-70mm f/4 IS USM L, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 IS USM L, 24mm f/3.5 TS-E L, 35mm f/2, 50mm f/1.4 USM, 100mm f/2.8 IS USM L, 300mm f/2.8 IS USM II L, 430 EX II, 270 EX II, 1.4x TC III, 2x TC III, Kenko Pro 300 1.4x TC
Home Page: http://www.travelerath​ome.com (external link), Blog: http://travelerathome.​wordpress.com (external link)

neacail
Goldmember
1,188 posts
Gallery: 43 photos
Joined Dec 2013
Post edited over 4 years ago by neacail.

May 15, 2016 09:48 |  #13

The low Reseller rating doesn't surprise me. There are only 210 reviews (not all of them are negative), and they go back to 2004. Cabela's is a massive, bi-national (at the very least) company. Those 210 reviews don't even amount to a drop in a bucket, and people are much more likely to post a review if they're PO'd about something. I think it would take thousands of negative reviews to indicate an actual problem. And, to further confuse the issue, the location of the reviewer isn't posted that I can see. I don't know if they're Americans or Canadians.

My parents came to Canada in the 1960s from Scotland, mostly for the hunting and fishing opportunities this nation offers. The Cabela's catalogue was our coffee table book while I was growing up. Dad ordered from Cabela's US (before they expanded into Canada) often, and without trouble or hassle.

Now, there were issues when Cabela's expanded into Canada. The service was still mail-order but they had a warehouse in Winnipeg. It could take months to have an order filled, and there could be lots of run around. This issue wasn't Cabela's alone. The same issue existed with another Canadian retailer, so I suspect a lot of it had to do with our draconian firearms laws and general supply issues. There were many of us who were frustrated, and unhappy, and chronically complaining about Cabela's. How many of those 210 reviews are from Canadians who were struggling with the frustrations of the Winnipeg warehouse?

Cabela's now seems to have worked out the kinks on the Canadian end. There are a now nine retail stores, which are stocked pretty appropriately for Canadians. Target should have taken lessons from Cabela's. And, BassPro is still trying to sort out stocking issues in Alberta at the very least (we don't have bass in Alberta, and turkey hunting isn't big on the list, so why are the aisles full of bass lures and turkey hunting gear?), when they've had a big Canadian retail location open longer then Cabela's has.

So, to sum up my wordy post, I think Cabela's is a now great retailer on both sides of the Canada/US border (for shopping in the store and for mail/internet order . . . which I personally do both of). For your purchase experience to not be satisfactory would not be the norm, IMO.

Shelley
Image Editing Okay

neacail
Goldmember
1,188 posts
Gallery: 43 photos
Joined Dec 2013
Post edited over 4 years ago by neacail. (3 edits in all)

May 15, 2016 09:52 |  #14

howiewu wrote in post #18007653 (external link)
Thanks for all the replies! Seems like they only ship to their stores (at least for the tripod I am interested in), but there are no stores near me, so I may have to go with another vendor. But thanks for the info.

Well, that sucks. :( Are you in the US or Canada? If you're in Canada you can have it shipped to the Calgary store and I can pick it up and forward it on to you via Canada Post (providing that the price still worked out in your favour with the extra shipping factored in). I'm a five minute drive from the Calgary store, and I'm there regularly.

Edit: From your website, it looks like you're in Virginia. I can't help across the border. :(

Edit No.2: If you are looking at the BeFree you might also want to have a look at the 190go. I compared the two of them side by side just last week and purchased the 190go. The 190go has the twist lock legs, which are pretty awesome. The 190go may be a touch heavier, but I didn't notice any difference in weight when I compared them without heads attached.

Shelley
Image Editing Okay

tinshield2016
86 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined May 2016

Jun 09, 2016 16:00 |  #15

Great company to buy from.

sponsored links

5,069 views & 1 like for this thread
Has anyone bought from Cabela's?
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.