Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 10 May 2016 (Tuesday) 08:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New Camera

98cobra
THREAD ­ STARTER
262 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jun 2009
Post edited over 3 years ago by 98cobra. (2 edits in all)

May 15, 2016 20:43 as a reply to  @ post 18008268 |  #16

After taking a pic in the view it would get very dark the only way to get it out if that was to turn it off then back on to have it nice and clear again. The pics would not be as crisp and clear as they are on my 60D and yes the settings were correct, used a L lens.

sponsored links
drifter106
537 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Feb 2006

May 15, 2016 20:43 |  #17

Have the 7d Mark Ii. As well as the 5D Mark III. 7d Mark ii is a very capable camera. For me it's very similar to the 5D Mark III as far as the controls. I would not give up on the camera and hopefully you can get it fixed or replaced .....you shouldn't have to have a Camera perform like that.

Purchased the 7d mark Ii for the reach and shutter activation and the fact that I would have to learn a new system or get them confused when I switch

Have no regrets in purchasing the 7D mark ii just biding my time to get the right lan just biding my time to get the right lens on it. 100-400 ii

Good luck whatever you do..

Gear
Remember, what is common knowledge to some is a revelation to others.

98cobra
THREAD ­ STARTER
262 posts
Joined Jun 2009
Post edited over 3 years ago by 98cobra.

May 15, 2016 21:13 as a reply to  @ drifter106's post |  #18

Well only getting a week to test it out is not much time for me, since I have a family and full time job. So I did the best I could tried it and was very disappointed. When I did this with my 60D I was happy right away.

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,837 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined May 2011

May 15, 2016 21:15 |  #19

98cobra wrote in post #18008311 (external link)
Well only getting a week to test it out is not much time for me, since I have a family and full time job. So I did the best I could tried it and was very disappointed. When I did this with my 60D I was happy right away.

If you want to try a 7D2 again, you might consider buying it from somewhere like Amazon where you have a 30 day return window.

My first DSLR was a 60D. I have fond memories of it.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

98cobra
THREAD ­ STARTER
262 posts
Joined Jun 2009
Post edited over 3 years ago by 98cobra.

May 15, 2016 21:22 as a reply to  @ Phoenixkh's post |  #20

When I took it back to mikes camera, told them the issues they said ok we will give you your money back, I asked them is there any camera here that would fit my needs and they said nope we will refund your money and this was from the store manager. 7 days is just not enough time for a busy person with a family, fulltime job.

Big ­ Jake
95 posts
Joined Feb 2013
Post edited over 3 years ago by Big Jake.

May 15, 2016 21:44 as a reply to  @ 98cobra's post |  #21

I came from a T3i when I got my 7D mii and at first I was really frustrated. Images were not as good and thinking it was the camera. I did a lot of reading and testing and found it was user error. Not saying that is your case but sharing that it took a bit of time stepping up to a sophisticated camera and AF system. It is an awesome camera capable of great captures. Hope it works out

98cobra
THREAD ­ STARTER
262 posts
Joined Jun 2009

May 15, 2016 22:09 as a reply to  @ Big Jake's post |  #22

I wish I got more time to try it out, but 7 days? Really? I like to order from in town cause I can get a new one right away if it breakers. I took hours reading the manual and setting it up so I am looking for a better camera now that works better than my 60D like high iso and no grain for night shots

jbrackjr
481 posts
Joined Dec 2011

May 16, 2016 01:39 |  #23

98cobra wrote in post #18008383 (external link)
I wish I got more time to try it out, but 7 days? Really? I like to order from in town cause I can get a new one right away if it breakers. I took hours reading the manual and setting it up so I am looking for a better camera now that works better than my 60D like high iso and no grain for night shots

I agree with you that most of us would need more time to test new equipment, especially if it is used as a hobby, due to family responsibilities. However, I too would suggest using a seller that would provide 30 days in which to return the product. Amazon as pointed out above is one of those sellers. I am sure there maybe others as well.

The 7DII is way more camera than the 60D and should provide you with wonderful results. So if I were you, I would purchase another one and give it a second try. It's quite possible the first one was defective. Give Amazon a go.:lol:

Jim
Gear List

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,000 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

May 16, 2016 09:51 |  #24

98cobra wrote in post #18008282 (external link)
After taking a pic in the view it would get very dark the only way to get it out if that was to turn it off then back on to have it nice and clear again. The pics would not be as crisp and clear as they are on my 60D and yes the settings were correct, used a L lens.

From what you say here I think you are referring to the optical viewfinder. I think the 7DII has a similar clever LCD system built into the viewfinder screen as the original 7D. If the camera has the batteries removed this then gets very dark. It sounds to me as if there was a fault with this system. So I would hope with that regard a different body will be better.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

98cobra
THREAD ­ STARTER
262 posts
Joined Jun 2009

May 16, 2016 10:06 as a reply to  @ BigAl007's post |  #25

The gray never happened on the 1st 7D mark ii but it happened on the 2nd body they gave me. So I do not know what to think. My wife even bought warranty with it. So after 2 different bodies with 2 different issue I returned it.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

May 16, 2016 21:48 |  #26

98cobra wrote in post #18008769 (external link)
The gray never happened on the 1st 7D mark ii but it happened on the 2nd body they gave me. So I do not know what to think. My wife even bought warranty with it. So after 2 different bodies with 2 different issue I returned it.

Well, you've certainly had a stroke(s) of bad "luck", no doubt!

We've all heard stories of different camera bodies having troubles. Some problems are from a fault in the manufacturing process, others are a fault in the equipment itself. Some faults cause a large number of problems in a broad "base" of bodies, some will just arise from one element that goes faulty in one body.

But realize that there is a major "process" in manufacturing, then testing and releasing this type of equipment. Modern camera bodies combine digital/computer operations with analog electronic operations, and that is no easy feat, and it especially becomes a challenge when something goes haywire!

Companies such as Canon have a rigorous process of building and testing components and then assembling and testing those components for the final release. Often, problems are detected during that process and are fixed at the lower level of operations.

However, some failures will just get by, and end up in the hands of unhappy users, who have to identify that problem, then report it and send the product back to a Service Department. This is a headache to the poor end user, and of course the headache becomes intensified when more than one product is involved!

On the manufacturing end, the goal is that a very small percentage of shipped units will be defective -- let's say .5%, as in 1 camera out of 200 will tend to have a defect that was not spotted in the assembly/test process. However, when a new unit/version has been developed and released, that estimate goes up to, say, 5% defects in the released units. While these problems are being tested/troubleshooted after the defective units are returned, it's still a real headache -- 5% would be 5 units out of 100 that are defective, returned, and must be not just fixed but analyzed, the defect diagnosed, and then a solution found that would then apply to the thousands of units that have been returned, and the resulting fix put out to the affected manufacturing process.

I've been in the middle of such an operation, and I know: the "team" works hard to put out quality products, and they work hard to solve problems, otherwise why stay in business? But still, when a new body comes out, and people jump on it to get the latest "new thing", well, you run the risk of finding the latest defect! This type of thing has happened repeatedly with cameras, with printers, with lenses, and the list goes on!

Give it time, and as you read the "news" about the Canon 7D Mk II, you will begin to see more good news, and less bad news about defective bodies. It's not just the 7D2, either. A bunch of years ago, maybe 9 years ago, the top-of-the-line Canon 1D Mk III came out as the "heavyweight" in shooting sports, wildlife, birds in flight, other similar demanding photographic fields. And people flocked to it, hey, it pioneered technology that the 7D2 bodies have actually put into a smaller body, but the 1D3 put it into place and we were all excited!

However, as those early days went by, stories kept popping up about problems with the 1D3 when autofocusing in the AI Servo mode, it was very frustrating, especially because the users put in a lot of time and effort to lug the heavy body/lens equipment around to test and try to figure out whether it was a camera problem or a user problem...?

Well, in time, Canon finally found the answer! There was some kind of faulty element in the body, I don't remember the specifics, but they put the fix in place for the newly manufactured bodies and also called for the return of all bodies that were made/released before the "fix" date, and yoo-hoo, they succeeded! I was able to get one of the new bodies via Amazon (before places like B&H/Adorama had them in stock), and I took that puppy out and ran it through pretty thorough tests, and was satisfied!

So, yes you have encountered it looks like problems with two bodies. What you do about it is of course your choice -- move on with other "proven" equipment, or watch and wait until Canon has identified and resolved the problems!

And just know that you are not alone in such things!

And, think twice before jumping for the latest and greatest new thing!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

98cobra
THREAD ­ STARTER
262 posts
Joined Jun 2009

May 17, 2016 15:28 |  #27

tonylong wrote in post #18009518 (external link)
Well, you've certainly had a stroke(s) of bad "luck", no doubt!

We've all heard stories of different camera bodies having troubles. Some problems are from a fault in the manufacturing process, others are a fault in the equipment itself. Some faults cause a large number of problems in a broad "base" of bodies, some will just arise from one element that goes faulty in one body.

But realize that there is a major "process" in manufacturing, then testing and releasing this type of equipment. Modern camera bodies combine digital/computer operations with analog electronic operations, and that is no easy feat, and it especially becomes a challenge when something goes haywire!

Companies such as Canon have a rigorous process of building and testing components and then assembling and testing those components for the final release. Often, problems are detected during that process and are fixed at the lower level of operations.

However, some failures will just get by, and end up in the hands of unhappy users, who have to identify that problem, then report it and send the product back to a Service Department. This is a headache to the poor end user, and of course the headache becomes intensified when more than one product is involved!

On the manufacturing end, the goal is that a very small percentage of shipped units will be defective -- let's say .5%, as in 1 camera out of 200 will tend to have a defect that was not spotted in the assembly/test process. However, when a new unit/version has been developed and released, that estimate goes up to, say, 5% defects in the released units. While these problems are being tested/troubleshooted after the defective units are returned, it's still a real headache -- 5% would be 5 units out of 100 that are defective, returned, and must be not just fixed but analyzed, the defect diagnosed, and then a solution found that would then apply to the thousands of units that have been returned, and the resulting fix put out to the affected manufacturing process.

I've been in the middle of such an operation, and I know: the "team" works hard to put out quality products, and they work hard to solve problems, otherwise why stay in business? But still, when a new body comes out, and people jump on it to get the latest "new thing", well, you run the risk of finding the latest defect! This type of thing has happened repeatedly with cameras, with printers, with lenses, and the list goes on!

Give it time, and as you read the "news" about the Canon 7D Mk II, you will begin to see more good news, and less bad news about defective bodies. It's not just the 7D2, either. A bunch of years ago, maybe 9 years ago, the top-of-the-line Canon 1D Mk III came out as the "heavyweight" in shooting sports, wildlife, birds in flight, other similar demanding photographic fields. And people flocked to it, hey, it pioneered technology that the 7D2 bodies have actually put into a smaller body, but the 1D3 put it into place and we were all excited!

However, as those early days went by, stories kept popping up about problems with the 1D3 when autofocusing in the AI Servo mode, it was very frustrating, especially because the users put in a lot of time and effort to lug the heavy body/lens equipment around to test and try to figure out whether it was a camera problem or a user problem...?

Well, in time, Canon finally found the answer! There was some kind of faulty element in the body, I don't remember the specifics, but they put the fix in place for the newly manufactured bodies and also called for the return of all bodies that were made/released before the "fix" date, and yoo-hoo, they succeeded! I was able to get one of the new bodies via Amazon (before places like B&H/Adorama had them in stock), and I took that puppy out and ran it through pretty thorough tests, and was satisfied!

So, yes you have encountered it looks like problems with two bodies. What you do about it is of course your choice -- move on with other "proven" equipment, or watch and wait until Canon has identified and resolved the problems!

And just know that you are not alone in such things!

And, think twice before jumping for the latest and greatest new thing!

Wow that is really something to think about, right now I am on a hold for buying a new camera. I was very excited to get the 7D2 but having 2 go bad in a row? ouch. You said some really good stuff here and I will prob wait for a bit before I get something new. I thank you so much for this input.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
36,985 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

May 17, 2016 15:35 |  #28

A couple of recent shots from my 7D2 for a portrait and bird test... it is too bad you got 2 lemons in a row, but the 3rd time is the charm!

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
36,985 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

May 17, 2016 15:40 |  #29

2 completely untouched high ISO shots from my 7D2, zero post processing on the resulting JPGs, just to give a basis. I won't bore you with how high the ISO was. I hope this shows that there are indeed good copies out there? :)

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,000 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

May 18, 2016 03:54 |  #30

It seems as if both of your cameras with issues may well have come from the same delivery of stock to the retailer. It could well be that the package was seriously mishandled during the delivery process. A high G impact for example could cause both the issues you had, in one camera maybe it causes a movement of the sensor assembly with regard to the rest of a camera. In the other it affects one of the components that control the VF electronics. You can quite easily get serious impact events that won't show as visible damage to the packaging. Unfortunately there is no way that the poor retailer can know what has happened, his stock arrives looking fine. This is on top of the possibility that by simple bad luck the manufacturer put units with two separate faults in the same delivery of stock. In these situations I normally look at how the retailer behaves towards me when deciding what to do. It looks like yours was pretty good, and dealt with the problems without any problems. Unfortunately having two cameras with two totally different and unrelated faults is simply a case of bad luck, not a real indication that the product is inherently faulty.

It wasn't with electronics, but I did once suffer with a delivery of fragile products that had seemingly been badly mishandled. The product had a normal failure rate of around 5%, and for one delivery that rate went up to over 50%. My problem was that it was a delivery of a pallet with 10000 products. The next delivery went back to the normal 5% failure rate. A very frustrating situation that was never really resolved, as the supplier blamed us for the ongoing problems. Very difficult when there is only one supplier of that product too.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

sponsored links

4,869 views & 11 likes for this thread
New Camera
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.