Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Performing Arts 
Thread started 10 Jul 2015 (Friday) 12:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

High school dance show

trythis
363 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Jul 10, 2015 12:43 |  #1

I photograph my daughter's high school dance program every semester. I do ok with the pieces with white light, even when the light is very low.

And if the dancer is a silouette I can sometimes catch a good image.

But when the stage is bathed in oversaturation of colored light, I have a hard time.

The time between the pieces is fast, and I don't have time to change my white balance. But if I did, what should i use?
And if I can't change my white balance, what setting should I use on the camera, and what post processing would you recommend?

I hate the way the red photos just look so grainy.

IMAGE: http://jennifersilas.smugmug.com/Dance/Brookwood-Dance/Score-5-8-15/i-f79M67g/0/M/IMG_9989-M.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://jennifersilas.s​mugmug.com …M/IMG_9989-M.jpg&lb=1&s=A  (external link) on Smugmug

IMAGE: http://jennifersilas.smugmug.com/Dance/Brookwood-Dance/Score-5-9-15/i-9CX66BR/0/M/IMG_0767-M.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://jennifersilas.s​mugmug.com …M/IMG_0767-M.jpg&lb=1&s=A  (external link) on Smugmug

IMAGE: http://jennifersilas.smugmug.com/Dance/Brookwood-Dance/Score-5-8-15/i-dr3n3xH/0/M/IMG_0369-M.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://jennifersilas.s​mugmug.com …M/IMG_0369-M.jpg&lb=1&s=A  (external link) on Smugmug

Canon 60D|Canon Rebel EOS T1i|50mm f/1.8|28-70mm f/2.8|18-55 f/3.5-5.6|70-200mm IS f/2.8 |600EX Speedlite
http://jennifersilas.s​mugmug.com/ (external link)

sponsored links
hennie
Goldmember
1,250 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Oct 2007
Post edited over 4 years ago by hennie.

Jul 10, 2015 16:40 |  #2

Allways shoot in RAW and tune the WB during postprocessing, in worst cases convert to B&W.
A good starting point will be Tungsten, but that is not really important.
That will free up time during the performance and most likely even give better results.

BJWOK
Cream of the Crop
6,203 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 10, 2015 02:53 |  #3

Looks like a real tough shoot with sketchy lighting. The best part about this is you shoot the event every semester so you have loads of time to tweak, modify and get better results each time :)

My name is Benon (BJWOK are my initials) :)
www.bjwok.com (external link) <<-- NEW LIGHTROOM CC & LIGHTROOM CC CLASSIC PRESETS FOR MUSIC PHOTOGRAPHERS
Benon Koebsch - Photographer (external link) (Facebook)
Gives A Minute (external link) (YouTube channel)

PhotosGuy
75,826 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Sep 10, 2015 08:16 |  #4

hennie wrote in post #17627338 (external link)
Allways shoot in RAW and tune the WB during postprocessing, in worst cases convert to B&W.
A good starting point will be Tungsten, but that is not really important.
That will free up time during the performance and most likely even give better results.

I agree, RAW + Tungsten WB. Plus, go to the dress rehearsal, put the camera on full "M" (NO Auto ISO), & fine tune your exposure for each piece using the histogram. When you get home, look at the images, find the best exposures, & take notes. Now you're ready to shoot the event.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

werds
"Yes, Sire. You'll shut your trap!"
613 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Mar 2014

Sep 11, 2015 10:07 |  #5

PhotosGuy wrote in post #17702024 (external link)
I agree, RAW + Tungsten WB. Plus, go to the dress rehearsal, put the camera on full "M" (NO Auto ISO), & fine tune your exposure for each piece using the histogram. When you get home, look at the images, find the best exposures, & take notes. Now you're ready to shoot the event.

This! Once you get used to changing the white balance presets in the Develop module of lightroom you will more easily "fix" some of the bad scenes. Then after that is getting comfortable with working from the presets to using the temperature slider in white balance to make it colder or warmer. I usually choose to tweak my white balance based on one of the specific dancer's skin tone.

Also using manual is a great way to keep a baseline as it makes edits easier, once you get the white balance correct you can batch sync those edits. If you use auto-iso you can still do similar but it adds more work as you then have to usually find groups of shots with similar matching ISO's. But it does make the editing simpler.

Also - if you get the opportunity set your custom dial to a secondary setting. For example I have myself in manual mode with settings geared towards a mostly lit stage and then in one of my custom settings I have settings for specific situations/ like for example silhouette shots with small or very little light sources, or I have one setting for when the stage is washed out with light etc. It is based on a use case that when I see it happen in the performance a quick flip of the knob I can get the type of shot I want without losing the moment, then go back to my baseline.

Gear: Nikon D750, Nikon D7200, Sigma 17-50 2.8 OS, Sigma 50-150 2.8 OS HSM EX , Nikon 70-200 2.8 VR1, Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, Tamron 70-200 2.8 VC, Tamron 28-300mm Di VC PZD, Tamron 16-300mm VC PZD, Tamron 150-600 VC, Nikon AF-S 50mm 1.8, Nikon SB-900
POTN Seller Feedback (and other)

AlFooteIII
444 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jul 2013

Sep 12, 2015 13:09 |  #6

PhotosGuy wrote in post #17702024 (external link)

Seconding (thirding?) this. I do my best not to "fix" lighting when there is a lighting designer involved -- I want to honor their craft. I will fix exposure -- as that's mostly my or my camera's fault, but I rarely change color.

Specializing in Theatrical Photography. See my work at:
www.alfoote3photograph​y.com/ (external link)
www.facebook.com/alfoo​te3photography (external link)

werds
"Yes, Sire. You'll shut your trap!"
613 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Mar 2014

May 16, 2016 08:28 |  #7

Hmm I know this was last year... but wondering how the OP has been doing?

Gear: Nikon D750, Nikon D7200, Sigma 17-50 2.8 OS, Sigma 50-150 2.8 OS HSM EX , Nikon 70-200 2.8 VR1, Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, Tamron 70-200 2.8 VC, Tamron 28-300mm Di VC PZD, Tamron 16-300mm VC PZD, Tamron 150-600 VC, Nikon AF-S 50mm 1.8, Nikon SB-900
POTN Seller Feedback (and other)

hennie
Goldmember
1,250 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Oct 2007

May 16, 2016 16:16 |  #8

AlFooteIII wrote in post #17704741 (external link)
Seconding (thirding?) this. I do my best not to "fix" lighting when there is a lighting designer involved -- I want to honor their craft. I will fix exposure -- as that's mostly my or my camera's fault, but I rarely change color.

Some fixing will not dishonor the craft of the lighting designer, during the performance the eye of anyone in the audience will do some "auto white balancing", ie color cast will show much worse on pictures than you would imagine during the actual performance.

sponsored links

3,657 views & 1 like for this thread
High school dance show
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Performing Arts 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.