Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
Thread started 16 May 2016 (Monday) 19:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

First time wedding

foxhound
795 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Apr 2006

May 16, 2016 19:06 |  #1

I was asked by a friend that had no money for a wedding photographer to please take some shots at her wedding as the alternative was just pictures the guests would be taking, every fibre in my body said NOOO but the softy side of me said i would but that i'm in no way shape or form a wedding photographer, please be gentle with me and tell me i didn't completely screw it up

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

Canon 1D mk3 7D Gripped, [COLOR=Black]40D Gripped, XT Gripped, G10, 100-400L 70-200 2.8L 24-70L 50mm 1.8mk11
28-105 Canon 580 exII
FLICKR (external link)

sponsored links
Cormac
Goldmember
1,025 posts
Gallery: 103 photos
Joined Jan 2014

May 16, 2016 20:29 |  #2

Damn nice car!

These examples look fine to me. I don't really care for the window behind the bride and groom. I shot my first and only (till my daughter gets married) wedding a couple months back. It was fun, I'm glad I did it, and I did learn a few things in the process. Going through the photos, some of which honestly I wasn't happy with, I saw things I should have done different. But the couple was happy with the shots. Nothing else really matters, so long as they are happy! Hard to look at photos the way normal, non photog people do. But I'm sure you did just fine.

Did I mention, nice car?

I want to die peacefully, in my sleep, like my grandfather.
Not screaming, terrified, like his passengers.

neacail
Goldmember
1,188 posts
Gallery: 43 photos
Joined Dec 2013

May 16, 2016 21:17 |  #3

The focus and exposure look good to me. If these photos reflect the rest of the set, I don't think you've completely screwed up.

I've got a really big niggle with the first photo (but it is a processing thing): the red tree in the background. My eye keeps going to the red blob in the background, as it really stands out with the other colours being so desaturated. I'd desaturate that tree, or change the colour of it.

Shelley
Image Editing Okay

texkam
"Just let me be a stupid photographer."
1,373 posts
Joined Mar 2012

May 16, 2016 21:51 |  #4

I suspect they had money for a cake though. smdh

Quality of the shots looks good, although I too, am not a big fan of the processing.

djr01974
Goldmember
1,232 posts
Gallery: 333 photos
Joined Jun 2014

May 16, 2016 23:04 |  #5

Try the first one in straight b&w.

jclaveria1
34 posts
Joined Apr 2016

May 16, 2016 23:14 |  #6

Photo on top shows there might be more than one photographer (pro or not). This happens a lot. However, whenever its a posed shots like this, make sure everyone is looking at your lens unless it's intentional. Not a big fan as well on the post processing color theme on the first shot.

My take is to try to make these black and white with some grain and it will be very classy.

Overall, if these samples represent most of your shots, then you are on your way to become a documentary (journalistic) type wedding pro.

valdano
89 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Jan 2012

May 16, 2016 23:31 |  #7

For a first, these are great.. Wish my first wedding looked like this.. As for the processing, it's something that will come over time (if u do a lot of weddings/portraits). I too had many, and I mean many selective colour images in my catalogue.

Very good effort!

Updated: Nikon D700 || Nikon D700 || Nikon 35 1.8 || Nikon 50 1.8 || Nikon 85 1.8 || Nikkor 70-200 2.8 VRI

foxhound
THREAD ­ STARTER
795 posts
Joined Apr 2006

May 17, 2016 07:59 |  #8

Thanks for the contrutive criticism guys, like I say im not a pro, nor do I profess to be one, I was invited to the wedding wether I had agreed to shoot it or not, I just wanted to do the job justice and not make a complete dogs dinner of it, so far the bride has liked everything she's seen and I guess that's what's important, I know some pros may think I'm amateur stealing pros work but it truly wasn't it was a friend helping a friend

Canon 1D mk3 7D Gripped, [COLOR=Black]40D Gripped, XT Gripped, G10, 100-400L 70-200 2.8L 24-70L 50mm 1.8mk11
28-105 Canon 580 exII
FLICKR (external link)

foxhound
THREAD ­ STARTER
795 posts
Joined Apr 2006

May 17, 2016 08:19 |  #9

heres a few more

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

28-105 Canon 580 exII
FLICKR (external link)

BlakeC
"Dad was a meat cutter"
2,673 posts
Gallery: 372 photos
Joined Jul 2014

May 17, 2016 08:53 |  #10

I think the shots look good. I'm just not a fan of how you de-saturated the car photo but pushed the reds. I can see it in their faces and the tree. They are greyish but you can see the red. I would do a composite on this one or use the adjustment brush to desaturate everything but the car.

I think they will be happy. Make them buy you dinner though! :)

Blake C
BlakeC-Photography.com (external link)
Follow Me on Facebook (external link) , Instagram (external link), or Google+ (external link)
80D |70D | SL1 - Σ 18-35 1.8 ART, Σ 50-100 1.8 ART, Σ 17-50 2.8, Canon 24 2.8 Pancake, Canon 50 1.8 STM, Canon 10-18 STM, Canon 18-135 STM

foxhound
THREAD ­ STARTER
795 posts
Joined Apr 2006

May 17, 2016 10:41 |  #11

Thank you BlakeC, I appreciate the imput, ill try and rework that first shot, ill share one more just cos i love it :)

HOSTED PHOTO

28-105 Canon 580 exII
FLICKR (external link)

BlakeC
"Dad was a meat cutter"
2,673 posts
Gallery: 372 photos
Joined Jul 2014

May 17, 2016 10:49 |  #12

foxhound wrote in post #18009385 (external link)
I was asked by a friend that had no money for a wedding photographer
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by foxhound in
./showthread.php?p=180​09385&i=i17023528
forum: Weddings & Other Family Events

thumbnail
./showthread.php?p=180​09385&i=i59171712

"no money for a photographer" ha
Sorry, it's just funny how some couples' priorities are out of wack. How much do they spend on flowers, decorations, dj, food, drinks, venue, dress? And they didn't think to budget enough money to get the ONE thing that will last? Maybe they just aren't sentimental, but you would think people would want to invest in a photographer to remember the day.

Blake C
BlakeC-Photography.com (external link)
Follow Me on Facebook (external link) , Instagram (external link), or Google+ (external link)
80D |70D | SL1 - Σ 18-35 1.8 ART, Σ 50-100 1.8 ART, Σ 17-50 2.8, Canon 24 2.8 Pancake, Canon 50 1.8 STM, Canon 10-18 STM, Canon 18-135 STM

DThriller
Goldmember
2,031 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2011

May 17, 2016 12:30 |  #13

foxhound wrote in post #18010027 (external link)
Thank you BlakeC, I appreciate the imput, ill try and rework that first shot, ill share one more just cos i love it :)
thumbnail
./showthread.php?p=180​10027&i=i145184901

A lot of lesser photographers would screw up this as a low key exposure so well done. Your posing in the first one is a mess. First timers tend to not pose and set up shots but its really important for formals and anything thats not just covering whats happening.

The one of the bride getting her makeup on... higher angle next time haha

http://www.facebook.co​m/DPhillipsStudios (external link)
http://DPhillipsStudio​s.com (external link)
@DPhillipsStudios
YouTube Channel:
https://www.youtube.co​m …/UCgAZ5-OKdg1YXONAjGu91zQ (external link)

Cormac
Goldmember
1,025 posts
Gallery: 103 photos
Joined Jan 2014

May 17, 2016 13:14 |  #14

foxhound wrote in post #18009893 (external link)
Thanks for the contrutive criticism guys, like I say im not a pro, nor do I profess to be one, I was invited to the wedding wether I had agreed to shoot it or not, I just wanted to do the job justice and not make a complete dogs dinner of it, so far the bride has liked everything she's seen and I guess that's what's important, I know some pros may think I'm amateur stealing pros work but it truly wasn't it was a friend helping a friend

That's really all that matters. If the bride is happy, who cares what anyone else thinks? As for the selective color in the first one. You'd be better served to mask the car in photoshop or whatever pp program you use. So the car pops and everything else is b&w.

Make a copy of the image, desaturate one of the copies and put it on top. Mask the car and remove those bits from the b&w version. viola! A bit more complicated, but it would work well here I think.

I want to die peacefully, in my sleep, like my grandfather.
Not screaming, terrified, like his passengers.

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

May 17, 2016 15:39 |  #15

The second and third one are nice.

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

sponsored links

6,833 views & 19 likes for this thread
First time wedding
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.