Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Forum Talk 
Thread started 24 Apr 2016 (Sunday) 19:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Classified: For Sale (slow down)

Hawk's ­ Feather
306 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 24, 2016 19:50 |  #1

Does anyone else seem to think that the Classified: For Sale posts are not selling like they have in years past? Maybe it is just me, but several years ago it seemed like anything that was even remotely fairly priced sold fairly quickly.

Could it be that people just want new or something else. I am not looking to start any wars or anything, I am just wondering.

Jerry
Jerry Latta Photography (external link)

sponsored links
Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Apr 24, 2016 21:01 |  #2

Oh, I've noticed it, too. I think it has a much to do with pricing as anything else. I've posted and sold in the last 3 months:

50 1.4 with bad AF
Tokina 11-20
10-18 STM
70D / 18-55 STM / 270 EX II kit
1D
1D II
BG-14
BG-13
SX260HS
Tamron 24-70 VC

I price aggressively, but do not give stuff away. I don't see the point of trying to squeeze the last 5% of value out of something I want to move. I just sold a 70D (for what I asked for it) in less the 48 hours while 5 other 70Ds are still on the 'for sale' forum. Price matters.

Some folks just don't pay attention to the market, either. 5Dc bodies are not selling for $600. 100-400L will never sell at $900. If I can get it on E-Bay, from a reputable seller, for $600, I ain't paying $800 for it on POTN.

Lots of folks price higher than Canon refurb. Why bother listing it? Not many folks will pay more for gear without a warranty than for gear with a warranty.

I always include PP fees and USPS Insured shipping in the price. Just makes things easier. The only thing to discuss is price.

maverick75
Cream of the Crop
5,707 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2012

Apr 24, 2016 21:09 |  #3

It's slowed down a lot, I just usually sell stuff on ebay. Even pricing it up to 50% more it will still sell on there.

- Alex Corona Sony A7, Canon 7DM2/EOS M, Mamiya 645/67
Flickr (external link) - 500px (external link) - Website (external link)- Feedback -Feedback

Rittrato
Goldmember
1,224 posts
Joined May 2010

Apr 24, 2016 23:58 |  #4

I think ever since mirrorless blew up, the demand on Canon or DSLR related gear have fluctuated. You have to understand most people in this board are amateurs/hobbyists so the value isn't there anymore for DSLR's.

Years ago, a 6 month old USA copy of Canon 50L for $925 with shipping and fees included wouldn't even last a day. Nowadays, it takes days, weeks to even sell it. Same with some of Canon's most popular lenses (35L, 135L, 85L, 70-200 II)... I think the 5D Mark III and 6D at a reasonable price are the only remaining hot seller for the used Canon market.

Bassat
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Apr 25, 2016 00:39 |  #5

Rittrato wrote in post #17983946 (external link)
I think ever since mirrorless blew up, the demand on Canon or DSLR related gear have fluctuated. You have to understand most people in this board are amateurs/hobbyists so the value isn't there anymore for DSLR's.

Years ago, a 6 month old USA copy of Canon 50L for $925 with shipping and fees included wouldn't even last a day. Nowadays, it takes days, weeks to even sell it. Same with some of Canon's most popular lenses (35L, 135L, 85L, 70-200 II)... I think the 5D Mark III and 6D at a reasonable price are the only remaining hot seller for the used Canon market.

Six years ago Sigma and Tamron weren't making lenses to compete with those listed. That has to figure into it.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,344 posts
Gallery: 143 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 25, 2016 01:19 as a reply to  @ Bassat's post |  #6

I agree with you; I think it is the high asking prices that keep things from selling here on our classified boards.
Then the "price drops" that are minuscule - I mean, if something didn't sell in a week at $900, does anyone seriously think that knocking $25 off the price is going to suddenly make anyone want to buy it?

It does seem that overall our boards' asking prices are noticeably higher than FM, and there is really no justification for it; perhaps astute buyers have figured that out.

When I try to sell something here I look at what the going rate for that item is and then ask about $50 or $75 less than that. Why? Because I actually want to sell it, not just have it sit in the classifieds indefinitely. If there are already three 100-400 v1 lenses here, all for about $800, and I had one to sell, then why would I ever list it for the same $800 asking price? That would be asinine. Obviously there is more supply than demand at the $800 price point, so I'd be a fool to think that mine would sell quickly for $800 while three others have sat at that amount unsold for weeks.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Bassat
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Apr 25, 2016 05:55 as a reply to  @ Tom Reichner's post |  #7

A follow-up to Tom Reichner's post, above. When I list something relatively new, I first check Canon refurbished. If it is available there (not everything is), I undercut that price by 10-15%. People buy used to save money, DUH! My next step is to search that item on the FS boards here. For example, I saw 5 active, open listings for 70Ds. I believe the lowest price was $750, body only. High? Maybe $850. Canon sells it refurbished for $699. I added a lens (18-55 STM to sweeten the deal, and listed it $50 below the cheapest active listing. After two days with no action (I still hadn't posted photos yet), I added a 270EX II unit to the listing. In less than an hour, I got a full-price offer for the package. The entire point of listing an item is to sell it. The stuff I list sells.

If I am selling something that is NOT available refurbished, I check E-Bay "SOLD" listings, average the last 10 sales, and undercut that by 10%. The internet allows me to advertise to the entire country. The price I pay for that is S&H, and PP fees. That is just part of doing business. If you want to sell something, price it like you want to sell it. If you want top dollar for your used stuff, be ready to sit on it for awhile.

Perhaps sales are slowing down, here. I'm not seeing it. Everything I list sells. Price it right. They will come.

Pekka
El General Moderator
17,753 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Mar 2001

Apr 25, 2016 06:39 |  #8

People are more careful about spending money, recession and lost jobs matter. Also, in last couple of years camera bodies have been so good there is no pressing need to upgrade all the time.

You can do of course some detective work on the differences between "DONE DEAL" and not done, why some are sold and others not. A few pages into it the majority is sold https://photography-on-the.net …display.php?f=1​71&page=11

When the price is right, it will sell.

The Forum Boss, El General Moderator
AMASS 2.1 Changelog (installed here now)

Bassat
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Apr 25, 2016 07:39 |  #9

Pekka wrote in post #17984120 (external link)
People are more careful about spending money, recession and lost jobs matter. Also, in last couple of years camera bodies have been so good there is no pressing need to upgrade all the time.

You can do of course some detective work on the differences between "DONE DEAL" and not done, why some are sold and others not. A few pages into it the majority is sold https://photography-on-the.net …display.php?f=1​71&page=11

Also significant! But not totally true, either. The 1D3 I just bought is a better camera (to me) than the 70D is just sold.

FEChariot
Goldmember
4,422 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Sep 2011

May 15, 2016 07:38 |  #10

Actually it seems to me like the entire forum has slowed down since about the time new forum software came out. I'm not suggesting causation there because the new software has been pretty great, it just seems to be the timing.

Canon 7D/350D, Σ17-50/2.8 OS, 18-55IS, 24-105/4 L IS, Σ30/1.4 EX, 50/1.8, C50/1.4, 55-250IS, 60/2.8, 70-200/4 L IS, 85/1.8, 100/2.8 IS L, 135/2 L 580EX II, 430EX II * 2, 270EX II.

Bassat
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

May 15, 2016 08:18 |  #11

Pekka wrote in post #17984120 (external link)

Revisiting just the highlighted statement.

Three weeks into owning my 'new' 1DIII, I have to completely agree with this statement. I bought the 1DIII as an action/AI-Servo camera. It has a few antiquated features: no focus in LV, no video, crappy rear screen, only 10MP (crop-ability), no Auto-ISO. But, I only paid $600 for it. So far, it runs circles around my previous 7D and 70D wrt AF and AI-Servo performance, and the programm-ability/customization is still better than all but the 1D(4, X, XII), 5D3, and 7D2. This 8 year old body still outperforms any Canon XXXD or XXD body available, for less money.

mikeinctown
Goldmember
2,100 posts
Joined May 2012

May 18, 2016 09:17 |  #12

I've noticed the forum seems to have less traffic than it used to. Not sure if that has any truth to it at all since I don't see the traffic numbers, but the posts in some areas are few and far between.

When I started, everyone and their mom had to get the 70-200II, then the 24-70II came out and that was nuts too. (and the 5D3 then which seemed revolutionary compared to previous models) Now new releases are just ho-hum and what seems like minor improvements over old stuff, so people don't feel the need to upgrade.

Personally I'm glad as I'm hoping to buy a used 1Dx fairly soon. Less buyers mean better prices. Canon refurb is still $4k, but used is closer to $3k.

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
15,767 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

May 18, 2016 11:10 |  #13

FEChariot wrote in post #18007571 (external link)
Actually it seems to me like the entire forum has slowed down since about the time new forum software came out. I'm not suggesting causation there because the new software has been pretty great, it just seems to be the timing.

+1, the gear forums seem to slow down a LOT. It can go many hours without a post, which doesnt seem right, it's as if theres the same amount of people but less engagement. I pretty much stick with the sony thread, which seems to have a good amount of traffic for a single thread.

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - CV 21/3.5 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

FEChariot
Goldmember
4,422 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Sep 2011

May 18, 2016 16:17 |  #14

Charlie wrote in post #18011113 (external link)
+1, the gear forums seem to slow down a LOT. It can go many hours without a post, which doesnt seem right, it's as if theres the same amount of people but less engagement. I pretty much stick with the sony thread, which seems to have a good amount of traffic for a single thread.

The EOS body and EF lens sections are the 2nd and 3rd largest by number of posts. It used to be that a single day's worth would take well into the second page in both sections. Now the camera section goes back 2 days and the lens section goes back 6 days.

Canon 7D/350D, Σ17-50/2.8 OS, 18-55IS, 24-105/4 L IS, Σ30/1.4 EX, 50/1.8, C50/1.4, 55-250IS, 60/2.8, 70-200/4 L IS, 85/1.8, 100/2.8 IS L, 135/2 L 580EX II, 430EX II * 2, 270EX II.

Pekka
El General Moderator
17,753 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Mar 2001
Post edited over 3 years ago by Pekka.

May 18, 2016 16:45 |  #15

FEChariot wrote in post #18011398 (external link)
The EOS body and EF lens sections are the 2nd and 3rd largest by number of posts. It used to be that a single day's worth would take well into the second page in both sections. Now the camera section goes back 2 days and the lens section goes back 6 days.

Some insights:

- Few million existing posts on EOS cameras means that perhaps people do not need to ask that same "should I get..." question over and over again. I'd rather see quality than quantity any day.

- Follow notification system keeps people on certain threads quite effectively. New threads are not so frequent when few large threads cater for daily needs.

- People seem to rely a lot on email notifications for followed threads, and they are not available here yet. So basically there has been zero "reminder" emails sent, which means if you do not visit the site "manually" you won't know about new posts. Reasons for not doing that feature yet are explained many times, too, and also that next version will have it. It will be interesting to see how it affects.

- things like US elections, sports championships, bad economy (for many) and good/bad weather matters, too.

The Forum Boss, El General Moderator
AMASS 2.1 Changelog (installed here now)

sponsored links

3,847 views & 6 likes for this thread
Classified: For Sale (slow down)
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Forum Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.