Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 14 Mar 2014 (Friday) 16:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Wedding picture in night rain help

davidmtml
848 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Jun 2012

May 19, 2016 14:22 |  #16

Not quite as good as some of the others on here, but this is one I did a few years back. Just a single speedlight covered by a ziplog baggie behind them.

IMAGE: http://www.davidrabenbergphotography.com/img/s12/v178/p771792327-6.jpg

sponsored links
Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,263 posts
Joined Feb 2012

May 21, 2016 13:08 |  #17

Packing up the car right now, headed to an outdoor wedding with a 70% chance of rain (in the PNW that's guaranteed rain) and thunderstorms. Fingers crossed for some cool rain photos :)

vanmidd
215 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Jun 09, 2016 22:41 |  #18

Yeah I agree with the others...ziploc bag over the flash. Also, here's a tip: make sure your flash head (facing the couple) is long ways up, rather than sideways. You'll get better results where spill light is concerned. Another thing to consider: you don't need heavy rain; the image I've posted is in the lightest sprinkle, it's just that the flash lights up each drop.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Van Middleton Photography - Byron Bay Wedding Photographer (external link)

smorter
Goldmember
4,506 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jun 11, 2016 07:55 |  #19

I'm going to be a counter and say that what's been discussed so far is not enough.

It's fine to get the odd "backlit kissing" shot in the rain - but clients want (or at least hope) for more than just this. What about the cookie cutter shots like:
- Bride and Groom looking into the camera
- Natural emotion eliciting interaction between the Bride and Groom
- Bride with Bridesmaid
- Groom with Groomsmen
- Bride with each Bridesmaid
- Bride/Bridesmaids solo
- Groom with each Groomsmen
- Groom/Groomsmen solo

It gets repetitive when backlit flash is used over and over for cookie cutter shots.

The reality is we're often screwed unless we find covered locations, or massive umbrellas which can be removed at the last moment for shots.

Wedding Photography Melbourneexternal link
Reviews: 85LII

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,263 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jun 11, 2016 08:43 as a reply to  @ smorter's post |  #20

We have matching black umbrellas enough for a party of 20 we pack if we even think there will be rain. Between some back lighting and fill flash there is lots that can still be done. Sure it's not as easy as a soft overcast day but that's why we get paid right

davidmtml
848 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jun 12, 2016 13:40 |  #21

smorter wrote in post #18035937 (external link)
I'm going to be a counter and say that what's been discussed so far is not enough.

It's fine to get the odd "backlit kissing" shot in the rain - but clients want (or at least hope) for more than just this. What about the cookie cutter shots like:
- Bride and Groom looking into the camera
- Natural emotion eliciting interaction between the Bride and Groom
- Bride with Bridesmaid
- Groom with Groomsmen
- Bride with each Bridesmaid
- Bride/Bridesmaids solo
- Groom with each Groomsmen
- Groom/Groomsmen solo

It gets repetitive when backlit flash is used over and over for cookie cutter shots.

The reality is we're often screwed unless we find covered locations, or massive umbrellas which can be removed at the last moment for shots.

The way I understood it, OP was not asking for advice on how to shoot the entire wedding, but how to potentially capitalize on the rain to create "some potentially cool pictures in the rain of the bride and groom". Certainly you will not be doing backlit shots for the entire wedding day...

smorter
Goldmember
4,506 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jun 12, 2016 22:37 as a reply to  @ davidmtml's post |  #22

My list wasn't the entire wedding, just some shots that you'd typically get during the "location shot" - I guess I was just saying that technique only works for one specific shot, but doesn't address the rest of the shots I describe

How would you address the rest of those shots without moving it indoors? I'm not sure to be honest.

Wedding Photography Melbourneexternal link
Reviews: 85LII

davidmtml
848 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jun 15, 2016 14:46 |  #23

On a related note...I've got a wedding this Saturday, and it's supposed to rain all day!

sponsored links

7,133 views & 3 likes for this thread
Wedding picture in night rain help
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.