Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 19 May 2016 (Thursday) 16:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

another senior portrait. second attempt.

jon1977
50 posts
Joined Sep 2012
Post edited over 3 years ago by jon1977. (2 edits in all)

May 19, 2016 16:36 |  #1

Looking for some CC on my second attempt at senior photography. Sony a6000, 50mm 1.8 off camera flash camera right using hss. Nissan di700a + air commander. Flash at camera right. I think it was f2.2 Iso200 1/500

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links
Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jan 2011

May 19, 2016 17:30 |  #2
bannedPermanent ban

The image has way too much green and yellow. I looked at your other post and it's got the same problem. Is the colour cast intentional?

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

jon1977
THREAD ­ STARTER
50 posts
Joined Sep 2012

May 19, 2016 19:29 as a reply to  @ Alveric's post |  #3

No it's not intentional. I edit with Lightroom. Not sure how I got too much yellow.

flowrider
Goldmember
3,586 posts
Gallery: 124 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Dec 2009
Post edited over 3 years ago by flowrider.

May 19, 2016 22:27 |  #4

Is your monitor calibrated?

~Steve~
~ My Website-stevelowephoto.com (external link) ~ Facebook (external link)
Feedback Feedback Feedback

Tedder
378 posts
Joined Jan 2009
Post edited over 3 years ago by Tedder.

May 19, 2016 23:54 |  #5

The subject, the clothing, and the brick background are all interesting. I'd like to see more room above the subject's head, though. Also, it might have been nice for her to be positioned somewhat differently such as slightly to her right with her left shoulder nearer the wall. This, combined with the photographer positioning himself a half-step to his right, would use the horizontal mortar lines to better advantage. In any case, I think positioning her off center might look better. Although I like that she's holding onto the fur vest, the positions of her hands seem a bit awkward, and my eyes are drawn to them.

I agree with the comment above concerning color. Also, the darks strike me as a tad too dark.

Tedder Stephenson's Flickr (external link)
Various Items (external link) Mineral Matters (external link) The Bench (external link) Tracks (external link) Cars and Stripes (external link) Behind the Wheel (external link) Shadows of Turning (external link) Circles of Confusion (external link) Waterous Disturbulations (external link)

mike_311
Checking squirrels nuts
3,761 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2011

May 20, 2016 07:45 |  #6

jon1977 wrote in post #18012539 (external link)
No it's not intentional. I edit with Lightroom. Not sure how I got too much yellow.

try calibrating your monitor.

see if its on this list and set it accordingly.

http://www.tftcentral.​co.uk/articles/icc_pro​files.htm#h (external link)

Canon 5d mkii | Canon 17-40/4L | Tamron 24-70/2.8 | Canon 85/1.8 | Canon 135/2L
www.michaelalestraphot​ography.com (external link)
Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | About me

mikeinctown
Goldmember
2,109 posts
Joined May 2012

May 21, 2016 06:24 |  #7

Yeah everything is yellow. I've never seen a yellow brick wall unless it was painted that way. Maybe make a slight correction so the wall looks straight as it looks tilted to me right now? (and she looks tilted to the right. -her left) This one is much better to me than the other one you had posted, though I agree with the poster above about the hands.

Micro5797
487 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Dec 2013

May 21, 2016 17:53 |  #8

Here is the image with a pretty close WB. I just added a photo filter via Photoshop. Cooling filter (82). This why you can compare the two.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Bcaps
I was a little buzzed when I took this
914 posts
Gallery: 84 photos
Best ofs: 16
Joined Jun 2003

May 21, 2016 22:56 |  #9

Alveric wrote in post #18012436 (external link)
The image has way too much green and yellow. I looked at your other post and it's got the same problem. Is the colour cast intentional?

The image as posted does not have an embedded color profile so it's hard to tell just how the image truly looks. OP, I would suggest you repost with an embedded sRGB color profile.

- Dave | flickr (external link)
Nikon D810
14-24mm f/2.8 | 16-35mm F/4 | 24-70mm f/2.8 | 70-200mm f/4 | Sigma 150-600mm

chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

May 23, 2016 19:43 |  #10

FWIW...the concrete comes close to the proper gray for color correction.

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43 (external link)

DThriller
Goldmember
2,040 posts
Gallery: 81 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2011

May 27, 2016 20:43 |  #11

Its an ok shot. Its hard to tell from one shot how your shoot went. It seems you were getting too fancy with hss. What was the point of being at 1/500?

http://www.facebook.co​m/DPhillipsStudios (external link)
http://DPhillipsStudio​s.com (external link)
@DPhillipsStudios
YouTube Channel:
https://www.youtube.co​m …/UCgAZ5-OKdg1YXONAjGu91zQ (external link)

sponsored links

2,650 views & 0 likes for this thread
another senior portrait. second attempt.
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.