Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
Thread started 07 May 2016 (Saturday) 20:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Just acquired the New Version of Canon 100-400mm

Bogino
472 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Sep 2011
Post edited over 2 years ago by Bogino. (2 edits in all)

May 07, 2016 20:13 |  #1

Can someone suggest an option for that particular lens whereby portability is also taken into account as I'll be traveling to Costa Rica & Brasil and be lugging it around with me on long hikes. Thank You.

My question was not very clear. Must have been the Rum. I meant to specifically to ask about a Tripod. A Tripod that would be a good fit for the 100-400mm I just bought. Considering this is a "Tripod" forum I just assumed that readers would understand. Thank You.

Canon 7D Mark II; Canon 70-300mm "L"; Canon 100mm Macro; Tamron 24-70mm; Tokina 11-16mm 2.8

sponsored links
sawsedge
766 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2011

May 07, 2016 21:39 |  #2

This seems pretty interesting... http://www.the-digital-picture.com …t-Gear-BackLight-26L.aspx (external link)

- John

Lt ­ Colonel
613 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined Dec 2013

May 07, 2016 22:01 |  #3

I'm curious to see replies to your post. I too have been looking at the Mindshift Backlight 26L. I have the Think Tank Street Walker Pro and really like it for traveling. It fits nicely in overhead bins and snugly under the seat on all the aircraft I've traveled on so far. This bag is also really good for working out of when working out of an automobile or at a function. However, I find that it doesn't wear well, if that makes sense. Not that I'm into hiking, but the Backlight 26L looks like it would be a great option for carrying gear when rambling about looking birds and wildlife. Unfortunately, none of my local shops carry Mindshift gear.

5DIII, 6D, 7D2, 5DMKIV,1DMK4,EOS-M,1DX
https://woodawg.smugmu​g.com/ (external link)

fotopaul
495 posts
Joined Jul 2015

May 08, 2016 00:56 |  #4

Mindshift comes from thinktank... It's their brand targeted towards hiking/outdoor/adventu​re etc.

Considering the reputation quality and lifetime warranty Thinktank has i would pick up mindshift in a heartbeat if it fit my purpose.

Instagram (external link)
Blog (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
48,949 posts
Gallery: 152 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited over 2 years ago by CyberDyneSystems.

May 08, 2016 02:20 |  #5

Bag suggestions, this is the Tripod forum.

Can you clarify your question?

I usually just use a neck strap, but a monopod can be very handy as well.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Bogino
THREAD ­ STARTER
472 posts
Joined Sep 2011

May 08, 2016 14:24 as a reply to  @ CyberDyneSystems's post |  #6

My oversight. I edited my question.

Canon 7D Mark II; Canon 70-300mm "L"; Canon 100mm Macro; Tamron 24-70mm; Tokina 11-16mm 2.8

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,323 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Mar 2009

May 08, 2016 14:47 |  #7

What sort of shooting are you expecting to do on those hikes? If you're doing long ones, a tripod may be extra weight/space that you don't need to pack for. As Jake mentioned, a monopod (preferably one that can double as a hiking pole) may be a better option, depending on the shoot.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
48,949 posts
Gallery: 152 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited over 2 years ago by CyberDyneSystems. (2 edits in all)

May 08, 2016 18:53 as a reply to  @ Bogino's post |  #8

No problem, it was certainly not your mistake, but it seemed the replies were confused :)

With the amazing 4 stop IS, and the action oriented shooting I tend to do, I shoot this lens hand held most often. (easily 90%)
The only exception is when I like a steady rest, in which case I use a Monopod.

If your type of shooting requires the use of a tripod, an appropriately sized tripod for this size lens would be something along the lines of an Induro 2 series. For weight savings carbon fiber;

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …203_2_stealth_c​arbon.html (external link)
http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …t203_2_grand_st​ealth.html (external link)

Similar in design, features and build quality of a Gitzo, at considerably lower cost.
A 3 series would be better overall, and allow more leeway for future heavier gear, but will weigh more for a trek.

For a Monopod, lightweight CF solution is this one on sale;
http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …04l_3_stealth_c​arbon.html (external link)
or the 2 series;
http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …04l_2_stealth_c​arbon.html (external link)

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

sawsedge
766 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2011
Post edited over 2 years ago by sawsedge.

May 08, 2016 20:32 |  #9

I must have that backpack on my mind... :rolleyes: :lol:

So, I have that lens too.

For the tripod, I use a Gitzo 3-series with a Arca-Swiss Z1 ballhead. It may be overkill but I never have any worries about using it. Anything equivalent to that setup will be plenty solid enough, but probably anything equivalent to a 2-series Gitzo will be fine too. If the Gitzo were to break, I think I'd go for a Feisol, but from the sounds of it Induro is just as good and even less expensive.

I quit using monopods as I found they slow me down when photographing birds and such. I just handhold now for most wildlife. (But back in the day) I used an old Bogen 3218 monopod. It was aluminum and plenty strong (it could hold my weight easily without collapsing) but loud if I wasn't careful opening it. If I ever want another, it'll be carbon fiber for sure. The Induro 3-series Jake listed sounds about right.

- John

Ahazra
87 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Dec 2013

May 20, 2016 17:35 |  #10

Having done the Costa Rica trip earlier this year and Brazil 2 yrs back, here is my take on the tripod conundrum.
For Costa Rica I carried both a tripod and a monopod (I was carrying multiple bodies). After lugging the tripod (with the gimball head) on day one through 4+ hours of hiking (birding), I switched to the monopod for the rest of the trip.
From day 2 onwards, 75% of my shots were on the monopod and the rest were handheld.

I'm planning to go to Costa Rica again in November and will carry only the monopod and a small lightweight tripod (for sunset photos).

For Brazil, I carried only a lightweight tripod and that worked out very well for me, as I was shooting a lot indoors (church, cathedral, etc) and a lot of sunsets

I'm very happy with my Induro tripod and monopod.

Canon 6D, Canon 7D II, Canon 7D, 24-105 L, 70-200 f2.8 L, 400 mm f5.6 L, 500 mm f4 IS L, Canon 100-400 f5.6 II, Sigma 35 mm f1.4 ART, EF 1.4 xII, Rokinon 24mm f1.4, Rokinon 14mm f2.8, 580 EXII, 430 EXII

Bogino
THREAD ­ STARTER
472 posts
Joined Sep 2011

May 22, 2016 10:58 as a reply to  @ Ahazra's post |  #11

Good Luck on your trip in November, however, November is typically the most rainy time of the year in CR (which I guess can have its advantages). If I don't make it to Pantanal this year then I will almost certainly head back to Osa Penisula in December.

sponsored links

2,935 views & 2 likes for this thread
Just acquired the New Version of Canon 100-400mm
FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.