Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 04 Mar 2016 (Friday) 17:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I HATE EBAY

ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
23,083 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2005

May 14, 2016 14:35 |  #76

so what difference does it make really? amazon would never do this this :rolleyes:

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L III, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15mm FE, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L + markins Q20, gitzo GT 1545T + markins Q3T, gitzo GM4562

sponsored links
TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 22, 2016 19:21 |  #77
bannedPermanent ban

Wish me luck. I just listed another item on Ebay because I am not getting interests here..... Maybe because people here do not shoot Nikon??? LOL LOL Oh well....

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

werds
"Yes, Sire. You'll shut your trap!"
613 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Mar 2014

May 22, 2016 19:49 as a reply to  @ TooManyShots's post |  #78

I think the Nikon contingent here is still growing. So since most of us are infrequent buyers and the group is so small here it can feel that way. Honestly even using FM as a barometer when I WANT something it can sometimes take a few weeks for what I want to show up and in the condition price range I was looking for, and that is a much larger Nikon contingent there. But since I started as a Canon shooter I hang around here and I honestly love how welcoming it is here and I have gained a wealth of technical knowledge through this forum.

Gear: Nikon D750, Nikon D7200, Sigma 17-50 2.8 OS, Sigma 50-150 2.8 OS HSM EX , Nikon 70-200 2.8 VR1, Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, Tamron 70-200 2.8 VC, Tamron 28-300mm Di VC PZD, Tamron 16-300mm VC PZD, Tamron 150-600 VC, Nikon AF-S 50mm 1.8, Nikon SB-900
POTN Seller Feedback (and other)

Nethawked
797 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2014

May 23, 2016 11:04 |  #79

Timphoto wrote in post #17984485 (external link)
I'm not a high volume buyer or seller, but both times I've been burned, its been through eBay. The latest one was a listing for a legacy lens, where I clearly stated As Is, Where Is and No Returns. It was priced accordingly and bought by a high volume eBay seller who subsequently demanded a return because "the lens is decentered" and shipped the lens back without asking, or providing proof that it was in fact decentered.

I would not authorize the refund, which resulted in a bunch of emails from eBay demanding I act on the refund. I had the lens checked by a local photo repair shop and it was NOT decentered. I sent the repair shop report to the buyer and eBay + Paypal resolution channels. They refunded his money anyway. I suspect since he had thousands of sales/purchase transactions on eBay and I had less than 3 dozen (all 100% by the way) they weren't going to back me.

I cancelled my eBay and PayPal accounts. YMMV but it'll be a cold day in the netherworld before I use eBay or PayPal again.

I've had a similar experience, clear evidence that there is no protection as a seller on eBay. I sold a lens to someone who bid in the last few seconds, a power buyer and seller. I waited a couple of days with no payment and sent an invoice. The guy returned my message and paid, stating that he felt he paid too much.

A week later the guy opens a case on ebay stating that the lens was not excellent as described - because the lens cap had a nick out of it. He said the lens appeared fine and he was pleased with the images, but challenged my assertion of quality. I offered to replace the lens cap, telling him I had a box of them. He then opened a case stating that the zoom had severe play, and even told eBay he drive 90 miles to B&H photo to have the lens checked out and they said it was defective. He couldn't provide proof, any written statement or a name. I knew the lens was in excellent shape, it was my favorite when I was shooting APS-C (EF-S 15-85mm). So, I challenged him. Long story short, big mistake. My feedback rating went from 100% to 91%, I've not had a sale since. The frustration just isn't worth it.

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 23, 2016 11:59 |  #80
bannedPermanent ban

Nethawked wrote in post #18016258 (external link)
I've had a similar experience, clear evidence that there is no protection as a seller on eBay. I sold a lens to someone who bid in the last few seconds, a power buyer and seller. I waited a couple of days with no payment and sent an invoice. The guy returned my message and paid, stating that he felt he paid too much.

A week later the guy opens a case on ebay stating that the lens was not excellent as described - because the lens cap had a nick out of it. He said the lens appeared fine and he was pleased with the images, but challenged my assertion of quality. I offered to replace the lens cap, telling him I had a box of them. He then opened a case stating that the zoom had severe play, and even told eBay he drive 90 miles to B&H photo to have the lens checked out and they said it was defective. He couldn't provide proof, any written statement or a name. I knew the lens was in excellent shape, it was my favorite when I was shooting APS-C (EF-S 15-85mm). So, I challenged him. Long story short, big mistake. My feedback rating went from 100% to 91%, I've not had a sale since. The frustration just isn't worth it.

In your case, you should take it back but insisted that he has to pay for the return shipping. That should deter him from returning it if he values his time and money. Two, if he really wants the lens to begin with. Fortunately, my asking price is always a bit below average or on average. I don't do auctions because I always suspect that you may not be able to sell it at your desired price. Two, these last minute bids would tend to keep the selling price low enough.

Facebook (external link)

moose10101
registered smartass
1,659 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2010

May 23, 2016 12:50 |  #81

TooManyShots wrote in post #18016301 (external link)
Nethawked wrote in post #18016258 (external link)

In your case, you should take it back but insisted that he has to pay for the return shipping. That should deter him from returning it if he values his time and money. Two, if he really wants the lens to begin with. Fortunately, my asking price is always a bit below average or on average. I don't do auctions because I always suspect that you may not be able to sell it at your desired price. Two, these last minute bids would tend to keep the selling price low enough.

Once the buyer opens a "not as described" case, as this buyer did, return shipping is the responsibility of the seller. I'm sure the buyer knows that, being a "power buyer and seller". There's no point bluffing when the other guy can see all of your cards.

Nethawked
797 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2014

May 23, 2016 13:55 |  #82

moose10101 wrote in post #18016356 (external link)
Once the buyer opens a "not as described" case, as this buyer did, return shipping is the responsibility of the seller. I'm sure the buyer knows that, being a "power buyer and seller". There's no point bluffing when the other guy can see all of your cards.

Correct. Like I said, there is no protection whatsoever for the seller. We can and should expect to be abused.

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 23, 2016 17:14 |  #83
bannedPermanent ban

Nethawked wrote in post #18016420 (external link)
Correct. Like I said, there is no protection whatsoever for the seller. We can and should expect to be abused.

What about seller claiming that they can charge you restocking fee??? How's that going to work???

Facebook (external link)

moose10101
registered smartass
1,659 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2010

May 23, 2016 22:00 |  #84

TooManyShots wrote in post #18016648 (external link)
Nethawked wrote in post #18016420 (external link)

What about seller claiming that they can charge you restocking fee??? How's that going to work???

A restocking fee can't be charged if a "not as described" case is opened. It can be charged if the buyer is returning the item because they've just changed their mind.

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 25, 2016 00:22 |  #85
bannedPermanent ban

Yes...another successful listing...hehehe... Got a bit worry since I have over 16 watchers with less than 20 hours left....finally, the lens got sold....

Facebook (external link)

sponsored links

14,206 views & 50 likes for this thread
I HATE EBAY
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.