Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 19 May 2016 (Thursday) 08:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

iPad for backing up photos?

alan_potter
wireless groping system
2,311 posts
Gallery: 164 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2005

May 19, 2016 08:20 |  #1

I'm trying to organise myself for my upcoming holidays, and also I fancy buying myself a new tablet.

What I would like to do is to be able to back up my photographs to HDD while I am on holiday without needing to bring a laptop with me. The workflow being something like:

• Plug CF adapter into tablet
  • Plug CF card into adapter
  • Copy photos from CF to tablet
  • Unplug CF adpter, plug in USB (separately-powered) HDD
  • Copy photos from tablet to HDD

I would prefer to do this with Apple, because my family are all Apple fans and I don't want to be left out.

It doesn't seem an unreasonable thing to want to do, but does anyone know if it's possible without jailbreaking my iPad?

• Falkirk, Scotland.
    Project 365 Blog (external link) | flickr (external link)

sponsored links
    cuongduong
    197 posts
    Joined May 2008

May 19, 2016 09:52 |  #2

You will need a jailbroken iPad and an Apple Lightning to USB Camera Adapter

I carry a Picture Porter with me when I'm on a short trip that I don't need to bring my laptop. On longer trip, I carry a 2.5" external hard drive and my Surface Pro 4.

wunhang
    672 posts
    Joined Nov 2009

May 19, 2016 10:20 |  #3

There isn't a solution for doing exactly what you want.

I don't know if you have any budget for another device, but may I suggest a device that will facilitate drive to drive capabilities with the iPad as an interface. The device I use is the"Sanho HyperDrive iUSBportCAMERA2 Wireless Transmitter" (external link) which allows me primarily to control the camera from my iPad/iPhone but will also function as a drive to drive file transfer/backup system since it has 2x 2.0 USB ports.

My only complaints on this device is that the app is finicky and crashes on occasion and the documentation is VERY skimpy.

Canon 5D IV | Canon 5D II | XSI (Infrared modified) | SL1 | 16-35mm L f/4.0 IS | 24-70mm L f/2.8 II | 40mm f/2.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-200mm L f/4.0 IS | Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 | C/Y 28mm f/2.8 | Tamron 35mm f/1.8 VC | C/Y 50mm f/1.7 | Zeiss 100mm MP
    ::SmugMug (external link)::

MalVeauX
    "Looks rough and well used"
    12,709 posts
    Gallery: 1101 photos
    Best ofs: 3
    Joined Feb 2013

May 19, 2016 10:35 |  #4

Take a look at this:

http://www.nextodi.com​/product/en_nd2730.htm​l (external link)

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

ShotByTom
    Goldmember
    2,975 posts
    Gallery: 10 photos
    Joined Aug 2005

May 19, 2016 16:07 |  #5

This is what I use, it works with your iPad or iPhone.. http://www.wdc.com …cts/products.as​px?id=1330 (external link)

Gear
    Website (external link)

alan_potter
    THREAD ­ STARTER
    wireless groping system
    2,311 posts
    Joined May 2005

May 19, 2016 17:47 |  #6

Thank you for the suggestions - I'll investigate and let you know what I come up with!

Falkirk, Scotland.

wunhang
    672 posts
    Joined Nov 2009

May 19, 2016 17:52 as a reply to  @ alan_potter's post |  #7

Just be aware that a LOT of the solutions out there make it difficult to work with CF cards. I found out the hard way that only one of the ports works with my specific card reader.

Canon 5D IV | Canon 5D II | XSI (Infrared modified) | SL1 | 16-35mm L f/4.0 IS | 24-70mm L f/2.8 II | 40mm f/2.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-200mm L f/4.0 IS | Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 | C/Y 28mm f/2.8 | Tamron 35mm f/1.8 VC | C/Y 50mm f/1.7 | Zeiss 100mm MP
    ::SmugMug (external link)::

alan_potter
    THREAD ­ STARTER
    wireless groping system
    2,311 posts
    Joined May 2005

May 19, 2016 17:56 |  #8

Yeah, none of it really feels all that satisfactory - the fact that I need CF rather than the far more common SD format is an extra impediment.

The whole thing is really frustrating - it's hard to believe that what I want to do is ridiculously uncommon, but it's obviously not in apple's "designed for" list of tasks

Falkirk, Scotland.

alan_potter
    THREAD ­ STARTER
    wireless groping system
    2,311 posts
    Joined May 2005

May 19, 2016 17:57 as a reply to  @ ShotByTom's post |  #9

Tom, does the iPad software transfer CR2 files over to the Passport drive?

Falkirk, Scotland.

Stevegg
    38 posts
    Joined Sep 2013

May 20, 2016 01:30 |  #10

Get an USB OTG cable (stands for USB on the go) for an Android phone or tablet and a small powered USB hub. You can then connect a suitable card reader CF, SD or both and an external hard drive and transfer the files from the card to the HD using the file manager app that comes with Android. You can buy a RAW viewer app if you also want to view the files on the tablet. Providing you've got a suitable portable hard drive already this is by far the cheapest solution.

It is frustrating that you can't do this on an IPad, but a cheap android tablet does the job well.

6d, 7d, 50 f1.4, 100 f 2.8 L, 17-40, 24-105, 70-200 f4, 400 f5.6
    Flickr (external link)

John ­ from ­ PA
    Cream of the Crop
    7,944 posts
    Joined May 2003

May 20, 2016 07:48 |  #11

Connectivity has not been one of Apple's strong points since day 1 and recent announcements would indicate the issues will continue. I would read the content at http://www.dpreview.co​m/forums/thread/350732​7 (external link) and consider a Samsung product. I use the SD version of what the person recommends for CF and transfer without any issues. In addition most of the Samsung line has an microSD slot that can really increase capacity.

A side benefit of Android is the Apple people will leave you alone!

Tom ­ Reichner
    "I am a little creepy"
    11,948 posts
    Gallery: 138 photos
    Joined Dec 2008

May 20, 2016 19:06 |  #12

I would suggest calling apple Care (Apple's support program) and asking the fine folks there how this may be accomplished. That is, if you bought Apple Care for you iPad. I have found, on many occasions, that the support folks at Apple are really incredibly helpful, and bend over backwards to make sure that what you want to do gets done, even when it involves third party products and software.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
    "They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
    "Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Submariner
    Goldmember
    3,028 posts
    Joined May 2012

May 20, 2016 19:13 |  #13

alan_potter wrote in post #18011940 (external link)
    I'm trying to organise myself for my upcoming holidays, and also I fancy buying myself a new tablet.

What I would like to do is to be able to back up my photographs to HDD while I am on holiday without needing to bring a laptop with me. The workflow being something like:

• Plug CF adapter into tablet
  • Plug CF card into adapter
  • Copy photos from CF to tablet
  • Unplug CF adpter, plug in USB (separately-powered) HDD
  • Copy photos from tablet to HDD

I would prefer to do this with Apple, because my family are all Apple fans and I don't want to be left out.

It doesn't seem an unreasonable thing to want to do, but does anyone know if it's possible without jailbreaking my iPad?
  • The problem you have is the lightening cable is painfully slow - tried it, as I have the stuff.
    Think Apple sell a 32Gb upgrade for £100
    I bought a beautiful, tiny, Sandisk 64Gb superspeed usb 3.0 stick direct from Amazon for £11.34 delivered.
    They are just never going to give way, and put in a superspeed usb 3.0 or 3.1 connector!

Canon EOS 5DS R, Canon EF 70-200 F2.8 L Mk II IS USM, Canon EF 70-300 F4-5.6 L IS USM, EF 40mm F2.8 STM , RC6 Remote. Canon STE-3 Radio Flash Controller, Canon 600 EX RT x4 , YN 560 MkII x2 ; Bowens GM500PRO x4 , Bowens Remote Control. Bowens Pulsar TX, RX Radio Transmitter and Reciever Cards. Bowens Constant 530 Streamlights 600w x 4 Sold EOS 5D Mk III, 7D, EF 50mm F1.8, 430 EX Mk II, Bowens GM500Rs x4

lilkngster
    721 posts
    Gallery: 5 photos
    Joined Sep 2010

May 23, 2016 19:23 |  #14

Thanks for the ideas

6dII/80d/1dIII|8mm to 400mm|Pro-10/100

Village_Idiot
    GREATEST POTN MEMBER EVER
    3,694 posts
    Joined Jan 2007

May 26, 2016 06:45 |  #15

Honestly I go with a Surface for this. It only has one USB plug, but with an adapter you can plug in multiple devices and Windows is much friendly for trying to copy and move files than iOS. I still have an iPad but it's because of one app I need that's only available for iOS.

My village called. I was told that they missed me.

Speedotron users, untie!

sponsored links

2,119 views & 0 likes for this thread
    iPad for backing up photos?
    FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
    AAA
    y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
    Register to forums
    Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
    Privacy policy and cookie usage info.