Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 12 Nov 2014 (Wednesday) 14:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7D Mark II - Focus Discussions

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

May 24, 2016 17:42 |  #6271
bannedPermanent ban

daleg wrote in post #18017855 (external link)
thanks Jake (& to other posters who have discussed the 1D4 vs 7D2). living on a bank of a tidal river, I hope to start shooting birds/wildlife this year from a boat - for the first time - mostly w/the 100-400II w/sidekick rigidly mounted to a sirui cf monopod.

I'm considering the 1D4 vs 7D2 as alternatives to my current 1D3 & 70D bodies.

I'm sensing the 7D2 provides today's best AF (this side of a 1Dx/1Dx2) & no real downgrade from a 1D4 in other respects - thinking, primarily, for BIF, wildlife, landscapes & river scenes. seems, if I'm understanding, that the AF concerns have faded. but perhaps new, US stock/authorized dealer - full warranty - would be prudent...

Looks like my 1D3 gets a reprieve, for now. Not so much for the 70D - although I really like the articulating touch screen. Seriously, if Canon can put that technology on the 70D, 80D & even the lowly SL1, why not on the 7D2? baffling...

again, thanks.
dale

That is an easy one. Weather sealing.

sponsored links
Choderboy
I like a long knob
6,748 posts
Gallery: 149 photos
Joined Jul 2005

May 24, 2016 17:57 as a reply to  @ post 18017855 |  #6272

My guess is that Canon service don't know how to resolve AF isues with 7D2. It is just a guess, based on people who did complain but were finally satisfied on 2nd, 3rd or 4th body.
I have had 1D4 for a number of years and 7D2 about 12 months. The past few weeks I have enjoyed one benefit of 7D2, the quiet mirror/shutter. I have been lucky to have four species of small birds regularly come close enough for some decent shots. All of them react to the 7D2 but I usually get 3 or 4 shots before they flee. I'm sure the louder 1D4 would get me less shots. I really like the transmissive LCD of the 7D2 and always have the grid overlay activated. They are both good choices and I can't pick a winner.

Dave
Image editing OK

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
52,157 posts
Gallery: 192 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited over 5 years ago by CyberDyneSystems.

May 24, 2016 18:48 |  #6273

Bassat wrote in post #18017873 (external link)
That is an easy one. Weather sealing.

Although he did mention "articulating" for the 70D, he also mentioned bodies with touchscreen that do not have articulating screen. But yes I read it that way too.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Nordwil57
583 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Sep 2007

May 25, 2016 07:13 |  #6274

RodS57 wrote in post #18017778 (external link)
Top of page 415, Nordwil57 just got his back from Canon and is testing out the AF system. Didn't research to find out why/when it was shipped to Canon.

Focus discussion thread, camera returned 'repaired', testing focus system. Did I jump the gun here and come to the wrong conclusion :-)

Rod

Sorry for not updating on here, it's been busy with work and preparing for Yellowstone.

I haven't had any noticeable issues since I got the camera back from Canon. Like Rod mentioned, the repair order came back saying virtually the same thing it said when I sent it in while still under warranty (electronic issues, minor adjustments made), it just cost me $270 for them to say it this time.

It's easy to complain when not getting good results and shooting is less fun. I'm not above saying my lack of knowledge with the advanced system contributed to my issues, although that doesn't account for a significant drop off of my keeper rate twice before sending it in each time. I don't think I just forgot how to shoot.

On the other hand, I'm so paranoid about it now that issues that AREN'T issues pop up and I panic. (You may have seen my threads about the "automatic card switching" and the "lack of expandable focus points", both of which were graciously answered by POTN members in this forum. I may have said this earlier, but sometimes I feel the need to paraphrase a local icon, "maybe I just need to tip my hat and call Canon my daddy".

I think I'd prefer the Einstein quote, "Once you stop learning you start dying." Hopefully I'm past the worst of it, can concentrate on improving my methods, and get back to having fun!

IMAGE: https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1634/26274364460_fe00f44a53_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://www.flickr.com …460/in/datepost​ed-public/  (external link)
Happy Spring! (external link) by Rick Wilhelmsen (external link) on Flickr

Rick

Gear List

Flickr (external link)

Bassat
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

May 25, 2016 07:42 |  #6275
bannedPermanent ban

Nordwil57 wrote in post #18018446 (external link)
Sorry for not updating on here, it's been busy with work and preparing for Yellowstone.

I haven't had any noticeable issues since I got the camera back from Canon. Like Rod mentioned, the repair order came back saying virtually the same thing it said when I sent it in while still under warranty (electronic issues, minor adjustments made), it just cost me $270 for them to say it this time.

It's easy to complain when not getting good results and shooting is less fun. I'm not above saying my lack of knowledge with the advanced system contributed to my issues, although that doesn't account for a significant drop off of my keeper rate twice before sending it in each time. I don't think I just forgot how to shoot.

On the other hand, I'm so paranoid about it now that issues that AREN'T issues pop up and I panic. (You may have seen my threads about the "automatic card switching" and the "lack of expandable focus points", both of which were graciously answered by POTN members in this forum. I may have said this earlier, but sometimes I feel the need to paraphrase a local icon, "maybe I just need to tip my hat and call Canon my daddy".

I think I'd prefer the Einstein quote, "Once you stop learning you start dying." Hopefully I'm past the worst of it, can concentrate on improving my methods, and get back to having fun!

As someone considering a 7DII, how do I react to this? In to Canon twice for focus issues? Can you provide links to referenced thread? I searched
'Cameras' and didn't find them. I think I remember 'card switching' being caused by leaving camera turned on while changing/removing cards - normal expected behavior. What was the focus points issue?

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
39,176 posts
Gallery: 116 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 5 years ago by TeamSpeed. (5 edits in all)

May 25, 2016 08:03 |  #6276

Bassat wrote in post #18018486 (external link)
As someone considering a 7DII, how do I react to this? In to Canon twice for focus issues? Can you provide links to referenced thread? I searched
'Cameras' and didn't find them. I think I remember 'card switching' being caused by leaving camera turned on while changing/removing cards - normal expected behavior. What was the focus points issue?

RE: card switching

When you pull a card out and close the door, the camera automatically looks for the cards and if the one it was shooting to is gone, it changes over to the other card. Inserting the card you removed doesn't make the camera go back to that slot, it has already moved over to a valid slot with a card and won't go back unless you reset it. Has nothing to do with the camera being on or not, the camera is always on, the ON/OFF switch simply turns off the displays, AF, etc, it still monitors the card slots as you open/close the door.

RE: focus points

Your focus modes and points are dependent on the lenses and TC+lenses you have on the camera. Depending on what you mount, certain AF modes may not be available, etc.

Again it is how Canon works. The point being made is that Nordwil57 is now overly sensitive to anything that doesn't seem right to the point it may appear to be an issue versus that is just way the camera works. However,one should reference the owners manual, because these behaviors are described there.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

Nordwil57
583 posts
Joined Sep 2007
Post edited over 5 years ago by Nordwil57.

May 25, 2016 08:05 |  #6277

Bassat wrote in post #18018486 (external link)

Focus point issue was my lack of knowledge, not realizing that using the 1.4 TC with the 100-400 V1 reduces the light which limited my AF choices. While still focusing fine, I couldn't expand beyond the 4 point surround.

Everybody I've met in the field raves about their 7D2. I initially bought mine back in 2014. I sent it in the first time in July of 2015. I thought I noticed an appreciable difference when I got it back, but my shooting slacked off a bit during the winter and when I thought I was having issues again, it was past the one year warranty on new and 6 month warranty on repairs.

I'd say if you're confident in your shooting abilities you should know pretty quickly where you're at. You mentioned a 30 day no questions asked at Best Buy I believe? Something like that might give you the time to get comfortable with it.

Rick

Gear List

Flickr (external link)

Bassat
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

May 25, 2016 08:16 |  #6278
bannedPermanent ban

TeamSpeed and Nordwil57,

I really appreciate your responses and explanations. Neither issue was a 'problem' inherent in the 7DII, just the way things work. I understand that. It is also helpful to know that Nordwil57's copy of the 7DII is/was two years old. For me, that lends credence to the notion that Canon has 'fixed' something (design, manufacturing, firmware?) in the newer (fewer issues/complaints) 7DII bodies. I am really leaning toward getting a new 7DII from Best Buy. The 30-day thing is good insurance. I am really having trouble pulling the trigger on a 1DIV with 100k+ shots and no warranty - for the same money as a shiny new 7DII.

Thanks.

Nordwil57
583 posts
Joined Sep 2007

May 25, 2016 09:03 as a reply to  @ Bassat's post |  #6279

Good luck and congrats on being a new RN!

Rick

Gear List

Flickr (external link)

05Xrunner
Goldmember, Flipflopper.
5,751 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Joined Dec 2005

May 25, 2016 09:29 |  #6280

Bassat wrote in post #18018516 (external link)
TeamSpeed and Nordwil57,

I really appreciate your responses and explanations. Neither issue was a 'problem' inherent in the 7DII, just the way things work. I understand that. It is also helpful to know that Nordwil57's copy of the 7DII is/was two years old. For me, that lends credence to the notion that Canon has 'fixed' something (design, manufacturing, firmware?) in the newer (fewer issues/complaints) 7DII bodies. I am really leaning toward getting a new 7DII from Best Buy. The 30-day thing is good insurance. I am really having trouble pulling the trigger on a 1DIV with 100k+ shots and no warranty - for the same money as a shiny new 7DII.

Thanks.

I was in the same boat. I was upgrading my 1D3 and was going to do a 1D4 but for the around same price I could get a new 7DII that is current and new with some new tech and 95% of the performance. So i went with the 7DII and have been happy with it.

My gear
Fuji X-T2, Fuji 18-55 2.8-4 OIS, Fuji 35 f2, Fuji 50 f2, Fuji 90 f2, Fuji 55-200 3.5-4.8 OIS
Sony RX100 II

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
I'm a bloody goody two-shoes!
19,555 posts
Gallery: 355 photos
Best ofs: 10
Joined Sep 2008
Post edited over 5 years ago by Levina de Ruijter.

May 25, 2016 09:59 |  #6281

05Xrunner wrote in post #18018586 (external link)
I was in the same boat. I was upgrading my 1D3 and was going to do a 1D4 but for the around same price I could get a new 7DII that is current and new with some new tech and 95% of the performance. So i went with the 7DII and have been happy with it.

This is me also. Having a 1D3 and wanting to upgrade. A 1D4 here can be had for some 1900 euro which is a lot of money still for a very good but also - let's face it - an old camera. Instead I can get a new 7D2 for 600 euro less. But those focus issues scare me and so I'm on the fence. Do I understand correctly that those focus issues are still not resolved?

My flickr (external link)

Bassat
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

May 25, 2016 10:06 |  #6282
bannedPermanent ban

Nordwil57 wrote in post #18018561 (external link)
Good luck and congrats on being a new RN!

Thank you. I won't be 'official' until I pass my state licensing board exam (Indiana, NCLEX), but I have already accepted a job. I start on June 16th. I'm hoping to work about 12 years before retiring for good. Looking forward to the new career. Not looking forward to making 70% of what I made before. But, this time it's 'cuz I wanna, not 'cuz I hafta. Everyone should retire at 56 (59 now) and start a new career. Invigorating!

05Xrunner wrote in post #18018586 (external link)

Thanks. That does seem to be the general opinion of owners of each body. I have seen a few comments that with they'd not made the change from one to the other, but most are happy with either. That is good new about both cameras. One thing I have notice is that NOBODY claims, "I went to the 7DII, and the damn thing can't focus." It does not appear to be a wide-spread prevalent issue. I remember similar comments about the 7Dc when it was released.

Bassat
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Post edited over 5 years ago by Bassat.

May 25, 2016 10:12 |  #6283
bannedPermanent ban

Levina de Ruijter wrote in post #18018608 (external link)
This is me also. Having a 1D3 and wanting to upgrade. A 1D4 here can be had for some 1900 euro which is a lot of money still for a very good but also - let's face it - an old camera. Instead I can get a new 7D2 for 600 euro less. But those focus issues scare me and so I'm on the fence. Do I understand correctly that those focus issues are still not resolved?

I've been doing lot of reading for the last several days. My summation is that the 7DII focus issue WAS real, was extremely limited, and has been rectified without official recognition from Canon. My opinions only. Please investigate for yourself.

EDITED TO DELETE IRRELEVANT INFORMATION.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
39,176 posts
Gallery: 116 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 5 years ago by TeamSpeed.

May 25, 2016 10:58 |  #6284

Bassat wrote in post #18018516 (external link)
TeamSpeed and Nordwil57,

Thanks.

Given your concerns and the history of complaints a ways back, your plan of attack seems very wise. Make sure you get the rewards points on the purchase!

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
I'm a bloody goody two-shoes!
19,555 posts
Gallery: 355 photos
Best ofs: 10
Joined Sep 2008

May 25, 2016 11:11 |  #6285

Bassat wrote in post #18018628 (external link)
I've been doing lot of reading for the last several days. My summation is that the 7DII focus issue WAS real, was extremely limited, and has been rectified without official recognition from Canon. My opinions only. Please investigate for yourself.

What an odd reply. You yourself asked all your questions only yesterday, despite all that reading you say you did the last several days, but when I ask one question, specifically about the subject of this thread, I get told off and should investigate for myself? Wow, this is a new one for me...

My flickr (external link)

sponsored links

1,520,124 views & 2,732 likes for this thread
7D Mark II - Focus Discussions
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.