Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 28 May 2016 (Saturday) 04:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Film for a Canon A1 recommendation - Australia

George ­ Zip
My neighbours are looking at me a bit strangely
1,388 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Joined Aug 2015

May 28, 2016 04:12 |  #1

My friends dad gave me his old Canon A1 camera and a couple of lenses.

So I thought I should get some film and take some shots.

I am 47 and remember film well enough, but I never ventured from point and shoot cameras. So I am starting from scratch essentially.

So looking online at eBay etc, it is easy enough to get some film. But what would you recommend. Keep in mind I am not looking to set the world on fire here, just enjoy learning.

Also where is a good place to get film developed with an option for getting a digital copy of the image in Australia.

Thank you.

sponsored links
kjonnnn
Goldmember
1,204 posts
Joined Apr 2005

May 28, 2016 12:15 |  #2

The last film I really liked before going digital was Velvia. Its a slide film but you can still get prints from it.

bildeb0rg
Goldmember
2,794 posts
Gallery: 228 photos
Joined Oct 2006

May 28, 2016 12:38 |  #3

why not try black and white and havee a go at developing it too??:-)

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 28, 2016 15:30 |  #4
bannedPermanent ban

Fuji Superia 400. Is cheap in the US. About $2 per roll, 36 exposures. For slower film speed and less grains, try the Kodak Ektar. About $3ish per roll, 36 exposures.

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008
Post edited over 2 years ago by TooManyShots.

May 28, 2016 15:32 |  #5
bannedPermanent ban

bildeb0rg wrote in post #18021930 (external link)

That's usually more involved....the OP has to commit in film for him to buy all the chemicals and to learn how to develop his negatives. Even then, he has to digitize them...that's another story all together....

Facebook (external link)

Mark0159
I say stupid things all the time
12,875 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Mar 2003

May 28, 2016 16:07 |  #6

there are plenty of options available to you. I use Ilford 400, but Kodak still makes colour and b&w film

here is a list of all the film that ilford makes http://www.ilfordphoto​.com …3&t=Black+%26+W​hite+Films (external link)
and kodak film http://imaging.kodakal​aris.com …aphers/professi​onal-films (external link)

I would recommand you go in to a few camera stores and see what they sell and talk to the people behind the counter. If it's a good store they will have knowledgable people that can help.

but I would start with at least ISO 400 film. it's a general use ISO. just remember tho you can't change the ISO setting on the camera once the film is loaded.

Mark
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/52782633@N04 (external link)
Canon EOS 6D | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 17-40mm f/4L USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM | Tamron SP 35mm F1.8 Di VC USD | Canon Speedlite 550EX -|- Film | Canon EOS 3 | Olympus OM2 | Zuiko 35mm f2

MichiTimm
837 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Dec 2009

May 28, 2016 16:08 |  #7

I'll second the Fuji Superia recommendation. Good quality, doesn't cost much. And 400 is a very versatile speed.

The last five or six rolls I've shot have all been Superia 400.

George ­ Zip
THREAD ­ STARTER
1,388 posts
Joined Aug 2015

May 28, 2016 18:22 |  #8

bildeb0rg wrote in post #18021930 (external link)

I would love to try that.

When I was a kid a family friend used to develop his own film and the process fascinated me

George ­ Zip
THREAD ­ STARTER
1,388 posts
Joined Aug 2015

May 28, 2016 18:22 |  #9

Thanks for your reply folks

George ­ Zip
THREAD ­ STARTER
1,388 posts
Joined Aug 2015

May 28, 2016 18:25 |  #10

TooManyShots wrote in post #18022053 (external link)
Fuji Superia 400. Is cheap in the US. About $2 per roll, 36 exposures. For slower film speed and less grains, try the Kodak Ektar. About $3ish per roll, 36 exposures.

Jeez we get bent over in Australia.

$10.00 bucks a roll on ebay over here.

http://www.ebay.com.au …Fuji+Superia+40​0&_sacat=0 (external link)

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 28, 2016 20:10 |  #11
bannedPermanent ban

George Zip wrote in post #18022142 (external link)
Jeez we get bent over in Australia.

$10.00 bucks a roll on ebay over here.

http://www.ebay.com.au …Fuji+Superia+40​0&_sacat=0 (external link)

Heheheh....you can also shoot in 24 exposures too...

This isn't bad. I think the price went up now....

http://www.ebay.com.au …59f55e:g:6TEAAO​SwPhdVNm~T (external link)

This store also ships to Australia too...

http://www.freestyleph​oto.biz/ (external link)

Facebook (external link)

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 28, 2016 20:23 |  #12
bannedPermanent ban

I think you have to shop locally if you want a cheaper price because shipping to Aus from the US is a bit expensive. Some ebay sellers charge you $10. Anyone in the US shipping a package to Aus is $22 First Class International mail....

Facebook (external link)

ejenner
Goldmember
3,739 posts
Gallery: 73 photos
Joined Nov 2011

May 28, 2016 21:16 |  #13

It's not cheap here in the US either, especially with processing and if you want it digitized. Personally I prefer color slide film which I digitize but taking a photo of the slide with a macro lens. Actually works pretty darn well if you can get a nice neutral light source behind it. Better than just getting 4x6 prints from negatives or paying to get all those scanned - at least for my purposes.

Digital copies you get from inexpensive labs are usually (IME) really poor. Essentially just about OK-ish for viewing on a laptop.

For color slide film, Velvia is often a favorite because of the high saturation, but I like Provia for a more subdued look.

It's great to wonder what your images will look like and then getting them back perhaps weeks after taking them.

I used the A1 when I was younger (and developed and printed my own B&W), and the most surprising things about it when I started using it again was the max shutter speed (1/1000s) and only being able to set whole stops. The camera does meter in 1/3 stops in a semi-auto modes, but you can only set aperture or SS as whole stops.

Edward Jenner
5DIV, M6, GX1 II, Sig15mm FE, 16-35 F4,TS-E 17, TS-E 24, M11-22, M18-150 ,24-105, T45 1.8VC, 70-200 f4 IS, 70-200 2.8 vII, Sig 85 1.4, 100L, 135L, 400DOII.
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/48305795@N03/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/edward.jenner.372/p​hotos (external link)

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,974 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 03, 2016 09:01 |  #14

I would suggest the B&W route too. It's usually not too hard to find someone selling up darkroom equipment on the Bay, and you really only need a dev tank with a 35mm spool. I would recommend using Ilford FP4+ it is a very nice ASA/ISO 125 film, well the older non plus was, and was the film along with HP5 (ASA/ISO 400) that I cut my photographic teeth on back in the 70's. As for digitising the negs there are some very cheap scanners available now in a reasonable resolution, or you can use a DSLR to do the job, there have been several threads recently on here that have shown good cheap DIY rigs for this. Or just go the whole hog, and do your own prints in the darkroom.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

Stregone
232 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Joined Apr 2008

Jun 03, 2016 13:45 |  #15

I will Nth black and white. Its so much cheaper to shoot because you can develop it yourself. If you don't shoot a ton I highly recommend using kodak hc-110 developer. It comes as a thick syrup that you are supposed to mix into a batches of gallons at a time but when you mix developer shelf life goes down a lot. So what you do is get a tiny syringe and measure out like 10 or 15ml of the syrup at a time for each batch of developing you do. In undiluted syrup form it lasts a super long time. I have never actually used up a bottle. Once it gets about a year old I tend to toss it and buy a new one, its cheap. I've heard of people successfully using 2 or 3+ year old hc-110 though.

flickr (external link)
500px (external link)
[Youpic] (external link)

sponsored links

3,918 views & 7 likes for this thread
Film for a Canon A1 recommendation - Australia
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.