Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 27 Apr 2016 (Wednesday) 14:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1D X Mark II Owners Unite! Discuss & Post Photos

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,634 posts
Gallery: 1655 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2004

May 28, 2016 14:12 |  #1021

frankchn wrote in post #18021996 (external link)
Yup, already sent emails to Canon CPS and Zeiss. Canon did reply with a generic "sorry, can't support third party lenses, just use exposure compensation" email but we'll see what Zeiss says.

At least the underexposure is consistent under all lighting conditions so it is not too bad of a workaround, just slightly annoying when changing lenses.

It would be funny if Zeiss responds with, "Sorry, can't support third party cameras." :lol:

I hope someone's able to figure out something for you. :)

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

sponsored links
frankchn
460 posts
Joined Jun 2009

May 28, 2016 14:14 as a reply to  @ jwcdds's post |  #1022

Haha thanks! It will probably be a firmware update either on the camera or the lens, so it shouldn't be too bad either way.

bps
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,607 posts
Joined Mar 2007

May 28, 2016 16:38 |  #1023

frankchn wrote in post #18021996 (external link)
Yup, already sent emails to Canon CPS and Zeiss. Canon did reply with a generic "sorry, can't support third party lenses, just use exposure compensation" email but we'll see what Zeiss says.

At least the underexposure is consistent under all lighting conditions so it is not too bad of a workaround, just slightly annoying when changing lenses.

LOL. Zeiss may be a "3rd party" lens, but, as you intimately know, they happen to be amongst the best lenses in the world! It's no surprise that the Tier 1 service rep at Canon sent that response to you, but I'd be shocked if we didn't see a firmware fix down the road. Canon certainly can't afford to snuff at their high-end customers.

It's definitely annoying for you to have to wind up the EV that much every time you use this lens, so my fingers are crossed that we'll see a fix action for you as soon as they're able.

Cheers,
Bryan

My Gear List

buddy4344
Goldmember
1,533 posts
Gallery: 400 photos
Best ofs: 14
Joined Nov 2006

May 28, 2016 16:59 |  #1024

The Solar Impulse 2. I think I'm loving this camera. BTW, next stop NY the across the Atlantic for this solar powered bird.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

Buddy4344

Gear: Canon 1Dx MkII, 7D MkII, Canon Lenses: 100 macro, 100-400 Ver.IIL IS, 24-105L IS, Canon 17-40, Canon 1.4x TCon, Rokinon 14mm. Kenko extension tubes, Kenko 1.4x pro TCon.and Kiboko 30L and 22L+

wallstreetoneil
Goldmember
2,086 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Nov 2014
Post edited over 3 years ago by wallstreetoneil. (3 edits in all)

May 28, 2016 17:03 |  #1025

Met up with a 1DC owner who wanted to compare the 1DC in different video modes
- he is going to do a bunch of comparisons and when he gets the data I will post it here
- i took one shot at the end testing DR & noise at base 100 ISO
- very high DR scenario
- exposed for the sky just clipping (above the tree line)
- LR edits (+2 EV, +100 Shadows, -75 highlights, +20NR (this basically affects the top right corner in the rafters and cleans it up a bit)
- image posted of both cameras and a 1:1 crop in the top right corner (you are seeing it after +20 luminance NR - which is 50% better than before)
- pictures were taken at exactly the same time and two tripods mounted right next to each other - both with 24-70 F2.8 II, 1/500, F5.6, iso100
- from studies posted, this is basically where you can see the real but slight difference in the camera sensors - and that is the DR range has been improved at the lower ISOs and if you lift the shadows, this is where you will see it
- the added benefit, which I don't think other testers are pointing out, is that with the 2 extra megapixels, and with the cleaner noise, you can use that combo to extract a better picture - most of the time you don't see it but in high DR pictures you can for sure

1DX_II sooc

IMAGE: https://c5.staticflickr.com/8/7346/26711635724_74ff4eb3cb_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/GGq7​Fw  (external link) 1DX_II_iso100_original (external link) by Paul O'Neil (external link), on Flickr

1DC - sooc

IMAGE: https://c7.staticflickr.com/8/7195/27290920126_273580ae70_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/HzB6​KC  (external link) 1DX_C_iso100_original (external link) by Paul O'Neil (external link), on Flickr

1Dx_II

IMAGE: https://c5.staticflickr.com/8/7302/27280254556_3bb3f856da_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/HyEr​fu  (external link) 1DX_II_iso100 (external link) by Paul O'Neil (external link), on Flickr

1Dc

IMAGE: https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7694/27243435891_f87355d2fa_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/HvpJ​kV  (external link) 1DC_iso100 (external link) by Paul O'Neil (external link), on Flickr

1Dx_II crop

IMAGE: https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7722/26707149953_2c666054b6_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/GG28​dD  (external link) 1DX_II_iso100_crop_sha​dows (external link) by Paul O'Neil (external link), on Flickr

1DC_crop

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/8/7381/27280258056_fb97dcf5d0_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/HyEs​hQ  (external link) 1DC_iso100_crop_shadow​s (external link) by Paul O'Neil (external link), on Flickr

Hockey and wedding photographer. Favourite camera / lens combos: a 1DX II with a Tamron 45 1.8 VC, an A7Rii with a Canon 24-70F2.8L II, and a 5DSR with a Tamron 85 1.8 VC. Every lens I own I strongly recommend [Canon (35Lii, 100L Macro, 24-70F2.8ii, 70-200F2.8ii, 100-400Lii), Tamron (45 1.8, 85 1.8), Sigma 24-105]. If there are better lenses out there let me know because I haven't found them.

Cicada-
106 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2011

May 28, 2016 17:28 |  #1026

Picked one up while out in Vegas during a trade show. :)

HOSTED PHOTO

-lots of stuff-

focusfirm
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined May 2016

May 29, 2016 00:17 |  #1027

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18019114 (external link)
In a nutshell, based solely on data from this forum/thread, as many as four (or more) new POTN 1Dx 2 owners have found that a small percentage of images taken with the 1Dx2 and written to the CFast card have had corruption within the image data.

Only on the Cfast card has this image file corruption manifested.

There is speculation that it could be the card, the card reader, or the camera's interface with the card.

Based on what I've read, my money is on the cards, or the way that the 1Dx2 writes to the cards. That's only my gut feeling.

I can supply some additional information. It is definitely a problem writing RAW files to SanDisk CFAST 2.0 cards. I have experienced it multiple times. I see a rectangle of garbage in the lower right corner of the image. Now it only happens about 1-5% of the time. I have downloaded the SanDisk CFast Full Format Tool http://kb.sandisk.com …l-format-and-refresh-tool (external link). I can do a full format multiple times with NO errors. I can format in camera without errors. So it is not as if the card is a complete failure - that would almost be easier to deal with.

Today I did one thing different - I had the camera write the RAW files to BOTH a CFAST card and a CF card. Out of 166 shots, two were corrupted on the CFAST card. ALL files were just fine on the CF card.

Here is an example of the corruption:

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Here are some important things to note:
1) The preview of the image on the LCD screen of the camera looks fine - so the JPG preview in the RAW file is OK. But if you go into the camera's Raw Processing menu, you WILL see the rectangle of garbage on the back of the camera.
2) There are no error messages while copying these files or taking the picture. Also, you get no error messages opening these files on LightRoom, Capture One Pro, or Canon Professional. You will see the rectangle of garbage, but the software is behaving like it is supposed to be that way.
3) For me, the size of the rectangle will vary as certainly the precise contents do, but it is always in the lower right hand corner of the image.

So far, Canon support is denying this is a problem, which is not making me feel good at all. I hope this can be a firmware fix and will not end up needing me to send the camera in. But no point in sending it in now until they have a solution. They cannot have a solution if they refuse to acknowledge the issue. That shocks me in such an expensive camera that is supposed to be their flagship.

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,634 posts
Gallery: 1655 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2004

May 29, 2016 00:31 |  #1028

focusfirm wrote in post #18022356 (external link)
I can supply some additional information. It is definitely a problem writing RAW files to SanDisk CFAST 2.0 cards. I have experienced it multiple times. I see a rectangle of garbage in the lower right corner of the image. Now it only happens about 1-5% of the time. I have downloaded the SanDisk CFast Full Format Tool http://kb.sandisk.com …l-format-and-refresh-tool (external link). I can do a full format multiple times with NO errors. I can format in camera without errors. So it is not as if the card is a complete failure - that would almost be easier to deal with.

Today I did one thing different - I had the camera write the RAW files to BOTH a CFAST card and a CF card. Out of 166 shots, two were corrupted on the CFAST card. ALL files were just fine on the CF card.

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by focusfirm in
./showthread.php?p=180​22356&i=i172402501
forum: Canon EOS Digital Cameras

thumbnail
./showthread.php?p=180​22356&i=i155632262

1) The preview of the image on the LCD screen of the camera looks fine - so the JPG preview in the RAW file is OK. But if you go into the camera's Raw Processing menu, you WILL see the rectangle of garbage on the back of the camera.
2) There are no error messages while copying these files or taking the picture. Also, you get no error messages opening these files on LightRoom, Capture One Pro, or Canon Professional. You will see the rectangle of garbage, but the software is behaving like it is supposed to be that way.
3) For me, the size of the rectangle will vary as certainly the precise contents do, but it is always in the lower right hand corner of the image.

So far, Canon support is denying this is a problem, which is not making me feel good at all. I hope this can be a firmware fix and will not end up needing me to send the camera in. But no point in sending it in now until they have a solution. They cannot have a solution if they refuse to acknowledge the issue. That shocks me in such an expensive camera that is supposed to be their flagship.

Well. Here's the thing. You're only working with one CFast card right now. Have you tried testing this out with another CFast card? It's possible that it may be a writing issue with the camera itself. It's just as likely that Canon was supplied a crapload of low-quality CFast card from Sandisk. (assuming you're using the card from the premium kit).

If we entertain the idea that Sandisk had a big batch of sub-standard CFast card that was sent out and packaged into the premium kits... is that really a Canon issue? or would that be a Sandisk issue? Just some food for thought.

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
15,162 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2009

May 29, 2016 00:31 |  #1029

thumbnail

thumbnail

Canon support is just on the front line and have limited information. I asked some detailed questions about iTR. They just read out of the manual and the person said anything else was beyond him. "iTR just makes it better" was the final response.

Like any other company they will be instructed to say nothing even if they have heard about it. Sometimes they slip. Canon will first investigate, verify, etc. If there is an official announcement then they can talk about it. Basic corporate PR and yes it can take too long and is not fair to the consumer.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

frankchn
460 posts
Joined Jun 2009

May 29, 2016 01:44 |  #1030

Yeah, in general I don't expect much of first line support, even at CPS levels. I hope that if this is a wide-spread issue, Canon will receive enough reports to begin seriously investigating this problem.

ross.thomas
70 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2016

May 29, 2016 01:53 |  #1031

Hey guys, quick question for those of you with the 1DX Mark II. I set my active AF point to meter when in spot metering. I typically place it on a forehead or under an eye when I used to used the center spot area to spot meter. Now when I attempt to use the AF point to do the same thing on someone's face, the camera seems to want to underexpose my at least a stop. What am I doing wrong here? So u typically have to attempt to over expose what the meter says is right by about a stop in order to get an accurate exposure when spot metering. But if I move the AF point back to the center, it spot meters perfectly! User error I'm assuming? I know I've successfully activated the feature, but is there a second step?

Ross Thomas
RossThomasPhotography.​com (external link)
https://facebook.com/r​ossthomasphotography (external link)
http://thebrotographer​.com (external link)

cwphoto
Go ahead, make my day
2,158 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined Oct 2005
Location: Kellyville, Baulkham Hills, Cumberland, NSW, Australia

May 29, 2016 02:27 |  #1032

bps wrote in post #18022083 (external link)
LOL. Zeiss may be a "3rd party" lens, but, as you intimately know, they happen to be amongst the best lenses in the world! It's no surprise that the Tier 1 service rep at Canon sent that response to you, but I'd be shocked if we didn't see a firmware fix down the road. Canon certainly can't afford to snuff at their high-end customers.

It's definitely annoying for you to have to wind up the EV that much every time you use this lens, so my fingers are crossed that we'll see a fix action for you as soon as they're able.

Cheers,
Bryan

A Canon firmware update to fix a 3rd-party bug? Two chances..

EOS-1D X Mark II| EOS 5D Mark IV | EOS 80D | EOS-1V HS
L: 14/2.8 II | 17/4 | 24/1.4 II | 24/3.5 II | 35/1.4 II | 50/1.2 | 85/1.2 II | 100/2.8 Macro IS | 135/2 | 180/3.5 Macro | 200/2.8 II | 300/2.8 IS II | 400/2.8 IS II | 500/4 IS II | 600/4 IS II | 8-15/4 Fisheye | 11-24/4 | 16-35/2.8 III | 24-70/2.8 II | 70-200/2.8 IS II | 100-400/4.5-5.6 IS II | 200-400/4 IS 1.4x
Sundry: 600EX II-RT | 1.4x III | 2x III | 12 II | 25 II | OC-E4

wallstreetoneil
Goldmember
2,086 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Nov 2014

May 29, 2016 05:23 |  #1033

ross.thomas wrote in post #18022401 (external link)
Hey guys, quick question for those of you with the 1DX Mark II. I set my active AF point to meter when in spot metering. I typically place it on a forehead or under an eye when I used to used the center spot area to spot meter. Now when I attempt to use the AF point to do the same thing on someone's face, the camera seems to want to underexpose my at least a stop. What am I doing wrong here? So u typically have to attempt to over expose what the meter says is right by about a stop in order to get an accurate exposure when spot metering. But if I move the AF point back to the center, it spot meters perfectly! User error I'm assuming? I know I've successfully activated the feature, but is there a second step?

Two Things:

1) Just want to make sure yo found the Menu item in the 5th Menu Tab, 1st Page, Bottom item to enable or disable the Active AF Point to be used for Spot Metering

2) It works on my camera, I have actively tested it out - but I'm going to assuming to understand that Spot Metering is still Metering to a certain % Grey so that if the thing you are metering isn't that %grey, which it rarely is, you are going to get a result which the camera wants to get but isn't necessarily what you want, unless you are good at using EC to know the correct correction. I'm usually pretty good at certain corrections such a bright whites or dark blacks where I know for the whites I add as much as 1 & 1/3rd stops (i.e. meter the white wedding dress and then set to 1 1/3rd stops higher - or the opposite when metering for blacks.

Hockey and wedding photographer. Favourite camera / lens combos: a 1DX II with a Tamron 45 1.8 VC, an A7Rii with a Canon 24-70F2.8L II, and a 5DSR with a Tamron 85 1.8 VC. Every lens I own I strongly recommend [Canon (35Lii, 100L Macro, 24-70F2.8ii, 70-200F2.8ii, 100-400Lii), Tamron (45 1.8, 85 1.8), Sigma 24-105]. If there are better lenses out there let me know because I haven't found them.

focusfirm
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined May 2016

May 29, 2016 07:03 |  #1034

jwcdds wrote in post #18022359 (external link)
Well. Here's the thing. You're only working with one CFast card right now. Have you tried testing this out with another CFast card? It's possible that it may be a writing issue with the camera itself. It's just as likely that Canon was supplied a crapload of low-quality CFast card from Sandisk. (assuming you're using the card from the premium kit).

If we entertain the idea that Sandisk had a big batch of sub-standard CFast card that was sent out and packaged into the premium kits... is that really a Canon issue? or would that be a Sandisk issue? Just some food for thought.

Actually, I bought additional CFast cards from B&H - 128GB ones. That is where I am seeing the issue. I don't use the little one that came with it much. I agree that bad cards are a possibility, but in 12 years of using SanDisk Extreme Pro products, I have never had an issue. But this is indeed a new technology. The question becomes how do we determine a card is bad? If I can full-format it without error and have some shoots go without error and not have a problem mounting or copying files from the card, what is the likelihood then that it is the card? I am very open to this possibility, but how do I PROVE the card is bad when I get no actual errors using it other than the some of the RAW files having that funny rectangle? And isn't it peculiar the consistency of it always being a rectangle of garbage in the lower right hand corner and nothing else? Maybe someone familiar with the internals of the RAW file can comment on that.

Thanks!

sploo
premature adulation
2,437 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2011

May 29, 2016 07:25 |  #1035

thumbnail

thumbnail

Interesting results. I don't know exactly how the raw data is stored, but if we were seeing truly random corruption then I'd have expected it to have hit the file's metadata at some point (the corruption could come anywhere in the file). That would likely result in a file that couldn't be opened at all - but I don't think I've seen anyone report that. Obviously the actual raw data is the largest part of the file, so I guess it's most likely that a random error would hit that area, but still.

You'd have to assume the camera will prepare a single buffer of the file data before pushing it out to both interfaces (for the two cards) so perhaps there's a timing issue with the CFast interface. Again it would seem likely that you'd end up with a completely corrupt (unopenable) file at some point though.

Do the corrupt files look exactly the same when opened in multiple different raw converters?

It's not impossible that someone on the RawTherapee forum (https://discuss.pixls.​us/c/software/rawthera​pee (external link)) may be willing to take a look at a corrupt file and indicate where or what appears to be corrupted. Might be worth a post?

Camera, some lenses, too little time, too little talent

sponsored links

2,035,946 views & 16,355 likes for this thread
1D X Mark II Owners Unite! Discuss & Post Photos
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.