Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
Thread started 09 Oct 2014 (Thursday) 05:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

General SOCCER Photography Thread

JoeLopez
474 posts
Joined Jun 2009
Post edited over 2 years ago by JoeLopez.

May 27, 2016 05:56 |  #301

agrandexpression wrote in post #18020235 (external link)
Where's the night shots? I'm curious if your "struggle" looks like my struggle at night under the lights!

Here is one example from 8:44 PM ET
Grant it, there was usually smoke rolling through the field from the spectator smoke bombs, but the image just seems flat. It is cropped a bit as well.

You seem to have an image or two just above with darker skies and lights, very sharp images. May I ask the settings used there?

IMAGE: https://c3.staticflickr.com/8/7472/27132212442_7160da5213_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/HkzF​uf  (external link) Detroit City F.C. 2016 Home Opener (external link) by Joe Lopez (external link), on Flickr

D7100 | 35/50/85 1.8G | Tamron 17-50 2.8 & 70-200 2.8 VC | Tokina 11-16 f2.8 DX II
Fujifilm X100T | Nikon F3/T | Minolta XG1 & X-570 | Yashica Electro 35 GSN
Gear List
Detroit Imagery (external link) - Detroit area photographer : Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
tmalone893
Goldmember
1,992 posts
Gallery: 54 photos
Joined Jan 2006

May 27, 2016 11:09 |  #302

I haven't posted in a while, so here are some of my favorites from the past season of the HS team I cover.

IMAGE: http://www.maloneactionshots.com/img/s4/v63/p1939086896-4.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.maloneactionshots.com/img/s4/v63/p1906465613-5.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.maloneactionshots.com/img/s5/v130/p1989170213-5.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.maloneactionshots.com/img/s7/v153/p1889384403-4.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.maloneactionshots.com/img/s4/v62/p2038907433-5.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.maloneactionshots.com/img/s7/v155/p2052327286-5.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.maloneactionshots.com/img/s5/v124/p2007491935-4.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.maloneactionshots.com/img/s2/v73/p1982402069-4.jpg

Name: Theron
MaxPreps Profile (external link)
My Gear

flickr (external link)
https://www.instagram.​com/theronmalone/ (external link)

agrandexpression
446 posts
Joined Apr 2015

May 27, 2016 16:36 |  #303

JoeLopez wrote in post #18020587 (external link)
Here is one example from 8:44 PM ET
Grant it, there was usually smoke rolling through the field from the spectator smoke bombs, but the image just seems flat. It is cropped a bit as well.

You seem to have an image or two just above with darker skies and lights, very sharp images. May I ask the settings used there?

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/HkzF​uf  (external link) Detroit City F.C. 2016 Home Opener (external link) by Joe Lopez (external link), on Flickr

Typically, I shoot f2.8 (sometimes 4.0 when it's still plenty of daylight) and 1/1000 (dropping down to 1/750 when it's getting really dark), with my ISO on auto.

The shot you're referring to (I think this is the one) is f2.8, 1/750, ISO 2000

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Tareq
"I am very lazy, a normal consumer"
17,818 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2006

May 27, 2016 18:23 |  #304

I shoot all my soccer at evening time, almost before the sunset for first half and after sunset of the 2nd half, and another games they are all at night, so i also have difficulties, but good that some clubs have good lights, my town club has good light so i can easily use ISO 1000-2000 with high speed minimum 1/640 and f2.8-f3.5, the better the light is the less extreme settings i can use, but i will tell you that my key is to use higher speed as much as i can so i can have sharper shots, then i can use some noise reduction apps or setting to a point and add sharpness to have good sharp overall result, and i remember i was struggling in a bad light club with my older cameras such as 30D/1D2n and even 1D3, but 1D3 was the beginning of solving the problem until i bought 1DX then never look back.

Galleries:
http://hamrani.deviant​art.com/gallery/ (external link)
Gear List
Facebook (external link)

JoeLopez
474 posts
Joined Jun 2009

May 27, 2016 20:59 |  #305

agrandexpression wrote in post #18021096 (external link)
Typically, I shoot f2.8 (sometimes 4.0 when it's still plenty of daylight) and 1/1000 (dropping down to 1/750 when it's getting really dark), with my ISO on auto.

The shot you're referring to (I think this is the one) is f2.8, 1/750, ISO 2000

Exactly the shot, I appreciate the info. I've avoided Auto-ISO, but it might be worth trying next time out - Thank you :)

Tareq wrote in post #18021169 (external link)
I shoot all my soccer at evening time, almost before the sunset for first half and after sunset of the 2nd half, and another games they are all at night, so i also have difficulties, but good that some clubs have good lights, my town club has good light so i can easily use ISO 1000-2000 with high speed minimum 1/640 and f2.8-f3.5, the better the light is the less extreme settings i can use, but i will tell you that my key is to use higher speed as much as i can so i can have sharper shots, then i can use some noise reduction apps or setting to a point and add sharpness to have good sharp overall result, and i remember i was struggling in a bad light club with my older cameras such as 30D/1D2n and even 1D3, but 1D3 was the beginning of solving the problem until i bought 1DX then never look back.

Sounds like I'll bump the SS and deal with any potential corrections in post next time - thank you :)

D7100 | 35/50/85 1.8G | Tamron 17-50 2.8 & 70-200 2.8 VC | Tokina 11-16 f2.8 DX II
Gear List
Detroit Imagery (external link) - Detroit area photographer : Flickr (external link)

Tareq
17,818 posts
Joined Jan 2006

May 27, 2016 21:22 |  #306

JoeLopez wrote in post #18021309 (external link)
Exactly the shot, I appreciate the info. I've avoided Auto-ISO, but it might be worth trying next time out - Thank you :)

Sounds like I'll bump the SS and deal with any potential corrections in post next time - thank you :)

This is what i do always, who cares that i must have the shots right out of the camera without corrections?

Galleries:
Gear List
Facebook (external link)

agrandexpression
446 posts
Joined Apr 2015

May 27, 2016 21:24 |  #307

JoeLopez wrote in post #18021309 (external link)

I feel like I'm pretty much forced to use Auto-ISO when the lights come on due to the inconsistent lighting across the field. My unscientific evaluation is it can be 2/3 stop of light difference from the center of the field to the sidelines, and even more when you get to the corners.

I'm way too focused to on keeping track of the action to adjust shutter speed or ISO. Maybe that's something I'd get better at while I continue to gain experience.

agrandexpression
446 posts
Joined Apr 2015
Post edited over 2 years ago by agrandexpression. (2 edits in all)

May 27, 2016 21:43 |  #308

Tareq wrote in post #18021336 (external link)
This is what i do always, who cares that i must have the shots right out of the camera without corrections?

I hear ya, but USL requirements for game photography don't allow for alot of time post-production. Honestly, most of the time if feels like it's barely enough time to download photos...cull...quick crop and exposure adjustment...and upload them to the photo repository. It might seem that minor adjustments shouldn't be a big deal, but they do add up...and add up quick when the clock is ticking. This is for both halftime and fulltime.

Again, I'm sure the seasoned vets get through the process much quicker than me...it's been hard for me to turn off the mentality of "ok, that might be useful as a b&w...that one isn't exactly composed as I like, but if i crop it better it could still be salvageable" to a straightforward "yes/no". The experience so far has helped me cull my non-sport sessions quicker...but I still could be faster on gameday.

We've been wanting to take the laptops with us while on the field and downloading cards during the game while shooting with other cards, but nearly every home game so far has either rained or threatened rain...so that route is eliminated.

agrandexpression
446 posts
Joined Apr 2015

May 27, 2016 21:54 |  #309

tmalone893 wrote in post #18020810 (external link)
I haven't posted in a while, so here are some of my favorites from the past season of the HS team I cover.

Good stuff! I noticed most of your shots are stopped down slightly from wide open on the 400mm. Is that for a little wiggle room on DOF, or not sold on the sharpness wide open?

The short time I got to borrow a 400mm 2.8, I was impressed at it's performance wide open...but maybe I was just oogling over it's reach and not being truly subjective on it's performance.

Tareq
17,818 posts
Joined Jan 2006

May 28, 2016 01:21 |  #310

agrandexpression wrote in post #18021371 (external link)
I hear ya, but USL requirements for game photography don't allow for alot of time post-production. Honestly, most of the time if feels like it's barely enough time to download photos...cull...quick crop and exposure adjustment...and upload them to the photo repository. It might seem that minor adjustments shouldn't be a big deal, but they do add up...and add up quick when the clock is ticking. This is for both halftime and fulltime.

Again, I'm sure the seasoned vets get through the process much quicker than me...it's been hard for me to turn off the mentality of "ok, that might be useful as a b&w...that one isn't exactly composed as I like, but if i crop it better it could still be salvageable" to a straightforward "yes/no". The experience so far has helped me cull my non-sport sessions quicker...but I still could be faster on gameday.

We've been wanting to take the laptops with us while on the field and downloading cards during the game while shooting with other cards, but nearly every home game so far has either rained or threatened rain...so that route is eliminated.

I agree, luckily that i don't work for press, and i try if i shoot for any authority or organisation or whomever so i shoot with RAW+JPEG with dual cards with individual format in each card, and sure i try to have the settings right, actually even with what i talked about above for PP i still try to get the shots right or proper as possible, because i don't like to spend long time in pp, i do minor pp, and i know what kind of adjustments or workflow i do so i can work quick, the only wasting time for me is about choosing the best shots out of many which means i have to look at each photo or zoom in the file browser and try to see which is getting my vote then move/transfer them to a new separate folder without deleting them from original folder and work only on those selected ones.

Also, members posting here means they have the photos and they have time to edit/pp them, if it is for press i know there is no time much left until you submit them during the game and after the game, but when i go back home and i have the photos and time to edit it, then this is what i talk about that i always pp them before i post them here.

Galleries:
Gear List
Facebook (external link)

agrandexpression
446 posts
Joined Apr 2015

May 28, 2016 07:18 |  #311

Tareq wrote in post #18021502 (external link)
I agree, luckily that i don't work for press, and i try if i shoot for any authority or organisation or whomever so i shoot with RAW+JPEG with dual cards with individual format in each card, and sure i try to have the settings right, actually even with what i talked about above for PP i still try to get the shots right or proper as possible, because i don't like to spend long time in pp, i do minor pp, and i know what kind of adjustments or workflow i do so i can work quick, the only wasting time for me is about choosing the best shots out of many which means i have to look at each photo or zoom in the file browser and try to see which is getting my vote then move/transfer them to a new separate folder without deleting them from original folder and work only on those selected ones.

Also, members posting here means they have the photos and they have time to edit/pp them, if it is for press i know there is no time much left until you submit them during the game and after the game, but when i go back home and i have the photos and time to edit it, then this is what i talk about that i always pp them before i post them here.

I see what you mean. The stuff I post on this thread is what I submit for the games...I don't touch them after I get home. I figure, if these are what's getting used - then this is what I'll share.

I guess if there comes a time I'd put a sports action portfolio together...I'd give them another once-over. That time hasn't come yet though.

Canon ­ Amateur
251 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Aug 2010

May 29, 2016 13:58 |  #312

I do consider posting this in the sportsballet thread

HOSTED PHOTO

Canon EOS 1D Mark IV / Canon EOS M3 / Lytro illum

JoeLopez
474 posts
Joined Jun 2009

May 31, 2016 06:23 |  #313

Canon Amateur wrote in post #18022838 (external link)
I do consider posting this in the sportsballet thread
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Canon Amateur in
./showthread.php?p=180​22838&i=i136606667
forum: Sports

LoL - great snap :)

Gear List

agrandexpression
446 posts
Joined Apr 2015

Jun 05, 2016 19:42 |  #314

More USL soccer in Pittsburgh. Seriously, if you guys are getting tired of these...just tell me stop. Critique is welcomed.

So I used a 2x teleconverter on my 70-200/5D III setup, but was really having trouble with focus. I've used the 2x before, but don't recall having that much trouble the first time.

I was considering looking into the 1.4 teleconverter since you only lose 1 stop of light. Anyone else have any feedback with teleconverters for action sports?

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

agrandexpression
446 posts
Joined Apr 2015

Jun 05, 2016 19:44 |  #315

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

sponsored links

149,656 views & 389 likes for this thread
General SOCCER Photography Thread
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.