Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Astronomy & Celestial Talk 
Thread started 03 Jun 2016 (Friday) 23:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

iOptron Skytracker

strider42
188 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2016

Jun 03, 2016 23:59 |  #1

Hi guys, I'm quite new to astrophotography so please bear with me if this is a dumb question : )

I just saw an exceptional shot of the milky way the other day and couldn't believe how clear it was, so I contacted the photographer and he said he'd used one of these devices. But this was a shot just of the milky way alone.

My question is, can this be used to take landscape pictures somehow? I suppose that because it moves the camera to follow the stars, it would be enough motion to blur the landscape as a result. But maybe in post processing?

I'm having a hard time figuring how search terms to look, so if anyone can point me to any tutorials on doing this or explain it to me, I"d be very grateful, thanks!

sponsored links
TCampbell
452 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Jun 04, 2016 11:50 |  #2

The ground will blur. Here's an example:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

This is is an 8 minute exposure of the Orion region shot from inside Science City on Haleakala (Maui, Hawaii).

Though the stars are sharp, you can clearly see the observatory in the foreground is not. This was just a test exposure as I was checking alignment so I didn't care about the foreground (and the lens is stopped down to take a longer image).

If you want the foreground, you'd probably want to shoot a still (non-tracking) image of that separately and just let the stars make trails, then shoot a tracked image of the sky. Then you'd probably just need to mask and merge the two images so you get a steady foreground with a steady sky.

Celestron
Cream of the Crop
8,641 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jun 04, 2016 15:57 |  #3

TC you from Hawaii ?

TCampbell
452 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jun 05, 2016 12:38 |  #4

Celestron wrote in post #18029159 (external link)
TC you from Hawaii ?

No, but a club member (who lives here in Michigan near me) owns a place on Maui and he and his wife spend their winters roughing it on Maui. He invited me out for a week. He belongs to a couple of astronomy clubs in Hawaii, one of which is the Haleakala club and their observing site is inside Science City.

I will say that the images come out of the camera looking like they almost need no processing at all. At home, we have to do a lot of processing to deal with light pollution and enhance the details. But out there the skies are so dark that you don't really need to do much... what are normally "faint fuzzies" for us come out with very nice contrast for them.

Here's a single untouched frame out of the camera. I did shoot this as RAW using my 60Da (so the reds for Ha are much more prominent then they would be in an unmodified camera) and I resized this to be 1024 pixels along the longest edge and converted it to JPEG (to make it forum-friendly) but otherwise have not touched the image in any way. This literally is the contrast that comes straight out the camera -- this isn't even a "stretched" image.

I could get spoiled doing astrophotography from a place like this. I'd never get anything close to this imaging near home.

(I did take some longer images as well as some shorter images so I could HDR the M42 region -- this is just a single frame. I still need to shoot some even shorter images of the M42 region to add to the data... that'll be a job for next winter.)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Celestron
Cream of the Crop
8,641 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jun 05, 2016 14:04 as a reply to  @ TCampbell's post |  #5

WOWY WOWY WOWY !! How long was exposure for this ? That's more BC than I ever got with stacked images !!

TCampbell
452 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jun 05, 2016 15:36 |  #6

Celestron wrote in post #18030078 (external link)
WOWY WOWY WOWY !! How long was exposure for this ? That's more BC than I ever got with stacked images !!

That's 1 minute at f/2 (Canon EF 135mm f/2L USM lens on the 60Da)

I just noticed that the website's EXIF simply reports it as "bulb" but my computer shows it was in bulb shooting mode, but the actual exposure duration was 64 seconds.

sponsored links

2,567 views & 4 likes for this thread
iOptron Skytracker
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Astronomy & Celestial Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.