Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 06 Jun 2016 (Monday) 07:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Camera for portraits - FF or Crop

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,408 posts
Gallery: 1737 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013
Post edited over 3 years ago by MalVeauX. (2 edits in all)

Jun 06, 2016 23:14 |  #16

britt777 wrote in post #18030740 (external link)
I currently own 1D Mark lll and I absolutely love it. My style of shooting has always been sports and wildlife. My question is, my first Grandchild is coming and I know I will be taking a ton of pictures...lol. Wondering if a FF camera would be better for this style shooting.
I have a many different lens, but none I think are good for portraits on a crop camera. 85mm is way to long.
I am looking at the 6D and the 5D Mark lll. If I go FF. My 85 will see a lot more use and was thinking of also picking up the 50mm 1.8 STM lens.
Any suggestions for good lens to use if I just use the 1D and don't go FF would be great.
All suggestions welcomed, thank you.

Heya,

TL,DR Version:

1D3 + 24mm / 35mm / 50mm (or 24-70 / 28-75) would be my suggestion, and an ETTL flash (bounce). No need for a full frame at all for this at all. Not important. Makes no difference.

Flash makes the difference.

Stress on the ETTL Flash. Flash is the single more important thing, ever, when it comes to grabbing photos spontaneously inside where you want clean images to remember faces of kids from. ETTL bounce flash makes this super easy. You flick it on, and shoot. Indoor houses are dark, way dark for cameras. Natural house light is awful for photos too. Some houses are better for light, but let's say it's early morning or late evening and there's no awesome window light going on, just house lights, it's gross--you want a flash. A good flash will save your bacon and get you more memories than any other lens or sensor will, a flash is the bang for buck when it comes to spontaneous indoor photos and kids. I can't stress it enough! Natural light just never has the "pop" that a well placed bounced flash shot does.

Willing to read version:

So, a 50mm on your 1.3x APS-H will look very similar to what 70mm on full frame would look like. Quite similar to 85mm on FF. Perfectly good for headshots, busts, baby shots, etc. When the kid(s) are older and running around, it's perfect for outdoor full body shots, etc, without having to be way far away, and still has a pleasing isolation from F1.8. The 50 STM is fantastic regardless and is excellent for these things, and cheap (and quiet!).

I use 1.3x APS-H, 1.6x APS-C and Full Frame with the same lenses for portrait with my kid. Makes no difference. All that matters is working distance really, and how close you want to have to be, versus how far away you could be, etc. The sensor and focal length together really just influences working distance if you think about it. It doesn't inherently matter what you use, it's what you combine. There will be minor depth of field differences, but beyond that, no other real difference honestly for portrait in most aspects of it. Even then, that's assuming environmental/ambient/​spontaneous portrait, and not just studio setups where it absolutely matters not at all what sensor you're using, shooting at F8 with lights, etc, or something like that. For natural light, spontaneous, around the house, etc, a fast lens with less reach might be preferred to be able to be "in the moment" instead of having to be 20 feet away to get a full body shot, etc.

There is no focal length that is "portrait." It's all about working distance. There's no lens focal length that causes distortion either, it's distance to subject that causes distortion. People use more telephoto focal lengths traditionally with classic portraits because it forces a longer working distance--and that distance, being farther from the subject, means no distortion. A 35mm for example will not make a bulbous nose on someone on a portrait inherently, but if you do it at very close distance, then it will--because of the distance.

One of my favorite around the house lenses for my kid on a crop (APSH & APSC) is the 35mm, and I often am using a flash too (bounce).
On my full frame, I use anything from 35mm, 50mm and 90mm depending on my goal (with or without light).
And I prefer full frame outdoors with 90mm or 200mm depending on my goal (with or without light).

I do a lot of spontaneous around the house chasing with the kid.

I also do formal setups and do outdoor strobe portraits and indoor strobed portraits in a studio setting (less often, but we do formals at mile stones).

I honestly don't recommend getting a full frame just for shooting portraits of kids around the house. It's literally kind of pointless unless you're trying to get the thinnest depth of field possible, and you want to combine it with F1.2 or F1.4 glass, etc, or if your glass was all already telephoto (85mm and longer only) it would make sense. But really, for around the house shooting of a kid on a crop, I'd look at APS-H & APS-C + 28mm, 35mm or 50mm and be good to go. Or just use a fast 24-70 F2.8 zoom with that and be good to go.

You don't want ultra thin depth of field on a moving kid--you will have a lot of stuff out of focus and you can't get that shot back, they grow up over night (as you well know I'm sure!). So shooting at F2 or F2.8 would be as wide as I'd suggest to anyone with kids starting out who are not already well accustomed to it.

+++++++++++

Examples from a crop of spontaneous around the house stuff:

I used my 1Dc & 1D II a lot with my daughter (~2 years old) as well as XSi, T4i, EOS-M, etc.. Favorite lens was easily 35mm, but also used 22mm, 40mm (pancake) & longer (85, 90 & 200) But I've used anything from 35mm to 200mm with my daughter running around.

1Dc (4MP!) + 35 F2 IS + bounced flash --- Flash made this photo happen, it was late night in the house, dark, and the flash just made it work.

IMAGE: https://c7.staticflickr.com/6/5699/22188938414_9e60ce5677_z.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/zNL7​kG  (external link) 225H7332_mark (external link) by Martin Wise (external link), on Flickr

1Dc + 35 F2 IS

IMAGE: https://c8.staticflickr.com/6/5807/22577249567_63a0374545_z.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/Ap5i​Hz  (external link) 225H7534 (external link) by Martin Wise (external link), on Flickr

1D II (8MP!) + 200 F2.8 (natural light, just getting face shots outside while playing with supreme isolation and close range)

IMAGE: https://c3.staticflickr.com/1/717/22283908698_46bebb2fd5_z.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/zX9R​Go  (external link) LE1M3923 (external link) by Martin Wise (external link), on Flickr

1D II + 35 F2 IS

IMAGE: https://c8.staticflickr.com/1/736/22447476815_d1019ef06d_z.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/AcBb​Nk  (external link) LE1M3809 (external link) by Martin Wise (external link), on Flickr

Or, more studio approach indoors with lights:

APS-C + 35mm + Flash

IMAGE: https://c6.staticflickr.com/4/3732/12757093845_0f3758e910_z.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/krir​xT  (external link) DPP_0630 (external link) by Martin Wise (external link), on Flickr

APS-C + 35mm + Flashes

IMAGE: https://c3.staticflickr.com/1/712/22704523402_effc9bc13d_z.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/AAjB​N3  (external link) IMG_9321 (external link) by Martin Wise (external link), on Flickr

++++++++++++++

So again, summary:

Any focal length. Whatever you need for working distance. 24mm, 35mm, 40mm, 50mm are all safe bets. Sensor size doesn't matter. What matters is the relationship of sensor size and focal length and the effect on distance to subject for field of view.

More important: get comfortable and skilled with ETTL bounced flash inside so that you can always get the shot with the right light, far, far, superior to house light! Outdoor isn't a problem, inside is the issue. You want flash.

One last thing: flash. ;)

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

sponsored links
absplastic
Goldmember
1,643 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Jun 06, 2016 23:39 |  #17

Yeah, flash is definitely a must-have. If you don't already have a flash, go right for something as strong as a 580 or 600 series or equivalent, because you'll want to bounce and diffuse it, and you can't have too much power with E-TTL, only too little (especially when using HSS).

5DSR, 6D, 16-35/4L IS, 85L II, 100L macro, Sigma 150-600C
SL1, 10-18 STM, 18-55 STM, 40 STM, 50 STM
My (mostly) Fashion and Portraiture Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link) (NSFW)

britt777
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,142 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Jun 07, 2016 07:04 |  #18

Thank you so much for all the feed back,tips,suggestions and photos . I just picked up the 50 1.8 STM from best buy:-D Now I just need to start shooting.

I bought the 7D II about six months ago and I really wanted to like that camera, but I was having terrible issues with the Focusing. Went through 3 bodies, but that camera would have been great! Especially for video. Oh well, time to keep shooting.

Brittany
www.shutterprophotogra​phy.com (external link)

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,408 posts
Gallery: 1737 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Jun 07, 2016 07:20 |  #19

Heya,

Regardless of sensor size, taking photos of your family moments is about actually capturing the moment, and has nothing to do with the sensor--it's about having the equipment ready, knowing how to use it for the task, and to me, more importantly than anything, getting the exposure nailed every time, or at least very close, so that you have a good file to work from. I prioritize having a camera setup with flash for "anything" at home. I put importance on flash first (this supports exposure 100%), exposure second-first (exposure is everything), composition (this is second-everything), then little fun things like depth of field or other stuff like that. I use a lot of thin depth of field outdoors, but inside, I don't worry about it, I just use light to isolate. Capturing a family moment photograph/portrait isn't about getting one of those well-thought-out well-situated portraits you see of kids in the grass with bubbles and stuff using HSS strobes and fast primes. Capturing family portraits is about capturing the day, the experience, more like family journalism, but you want to be in it--not just watching it. For this, I really enjoy a light camera with a small, short prime, and a flash. Ready to go. Make it simple so that someone else can point it at you with the kids!

Here's some from last night. Around mid-night we decided to make a cake. When I came to see how it was going, I found a sugary mess and her mother was laughing. I walked away and grabbed my 5Dc + 40mm pancake + flash (cheap old stuff!). Nothing amazing, but the memory is of course priceless for the family, as this was not planned, it just happened. Being able to capture a few moments and then join in and play is what it's all about.

IMAGE: https://c7.staticflickr.com/8/7428/27421489902_56a14d4f9b_z.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/HM9i​AE  (external link) IMG_3545 (external link) by Martin Wise (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/8/7188/27243710640_5397e93508_z.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/Hvr9​1Y  (external link) IMG_3559 (external link) by Martin Wise (external link), on Flickr

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

britt777
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,142 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Jun 07, 2016 08:08 |  #20

Great shots!

Brittany
www.shutterprophotogra​phy.com (external link)

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Jun 07, 2016 09:12 |  #21

britt777 wrote in post #18031780 (external link)
Thank you so much for all the feed back,tips,suggestions and photos . I just picked up the 50 1.8 STM from best buy:-D Now I just need to start shooting.

I bought the 7D II about six months ago and I really wanted to like that camera, but I was having terrible issues with the Focusing. Went through 3 bodies, but that camera would have been great! Especially for video. Oh well, time to keep shooting.

I appreciate this post. I've been trying to convince myself to buy a 7DII. Lately I've been leaning more toward the 1DIV as an upgrade to my 1DIII. Your post tears it. I just bought a 1DIV.

Chet
my rates fluctuate
43,229 posts
Gallery: 130 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jun 07, 2016 10:31 |  #22

Bassat wrote in post #18031875 (external link)
I appreciate this post. I've been trying to convince myself to buy a 7DII. Lately I've been leaning more toward the 1DIV as an upgrade to my 1DIII. Your post tears it. I just bought a 1DIV.

What did you pay for the 1DIV?

Curator of the Bob's Pickle Emporium experience. -As always, One location to serve you better!
~Feel good today and donate to this great forum~ LINK
My Gear List

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,197 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 3 years ago by TeamSpeed.

Jun 07, 2016 10:34 |  #23

Bassat wrote in post #18031875 (external link)

Congrats! You will love it over the 1D3. I even bought another 1D3 while having the 1D4, and there was nothing to draw me to the 1D3, the 1D4 was simply better in all regards.

So $1500 from a fellow POTNER? https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1450033

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

Bassat
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Post edited over 3 years ago by Bassat.

Jun 07, 2016 11:27 |  #24

$1,300. 88,000+ clicks. Includes a RRS L-Bracket (whatever that is). Yes, another POTN'r.

EDIT:
TS, just saw your link. Not that one. Someone responded to POTN WTB 1DIV post. OP didn't want it. I did. I'll post the CL listing, if that doesn't violate any POTN rules or etiquette.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,197 posts
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 3 years ago by TeamSpeed. (2 edits in all)

Jun 07, 2016 11:38 |  #25

If I had to be stuck with just one camera with a budget of $1500 or less, the 1D4 is my choice. Fortunately, we are blessed and I don't have that restriction. I will undoubtedly end up with a 1DX2 at some point, and sell off what I have, but it is still too new a body at this point. (unless the 5D3 replacement is a killer body at a lower price point)

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

absplastic
Goldmember
1,643 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Jun 07, 2016 12:30 |  #26

Bassat wrote in post #18032022 (external link)
Includes a RRS L-Bracket (whatever that is). Yes, another POTN'r.

Really Right Stuff bracket for mounting the camera on any tripod with an Arca-Swiss type clamp, in either landscape or portrait orientation. That's a very nice to have add on from a top brand!

5DSR, 6D, 16-35/4L IS, 85L II, 100L macro, Sigma 150-600C
SL1, 10-18 STM, 18-55 STM, 40 STM, 50 STM
My (mostly) Fashion and Portraiture Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link) (NSFW)

Bassat
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Jun 07, 2016 13:33 as a reply to  @ absplastic's post |  #27

That sounds like a really nice explanation... if I knew what an Arca-Swiss thingy was. Will that mount on my tripod?

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,197 posts
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 3 years ago by TeamSpeed. (3 edits in all)

Jun 07, 2016 13:37 |  #28

Google your vanguard model # and arca to see if it does? I can't quite make out the vanguard number on your ballhead.

Assuming that is the SBH100, it looks like yours doesn't, it uses QS-39 Vanguard plates.

http://www.dpreview.co​m/forums/thread/379114​2 (external link)

However there might be a change you can make.

https://www.flickr.com …2/sets/72157629​165938602/ (external link)

Bassat
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Post edited over 3 years ago by Bassat.

Jun 07, 2016 13:39 as a reply to  @ TeamSpeed's post |  #29

SBH-100. The camera plate is marked: 1/4 x 20.

EDIT:
I guess it is not compatible. Anyone need RRS L-bracket for a 1DIII/IV? What I have works for me. I don't use a tripod very often.

sponsored links

5,136 views & 6 likes for this thread
Camera for portraits - FF or Crop
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.