Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 07 Jun 2016 (Tuesday) 15:58
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Should have switched to FF a long time ago

urbanfreestyle
I am a squirrel who loves rubbing bottles and I have Nuts in my drawers, too!
2,046 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Jun 10, 2016 09:28 |  #16

mikeinctown wrote in post #18034967 (external link)
Yes FF is usually better than crop. As you have seen, the exception is with the 1D series cameras. They are made for professional users and have excellent AF systems and FPS which something like a 5D2 cannot touch. If you are coming from any Rebel series camera, a FF camera is going to make your eyes open wide as you stare at the difference. The one thing that bugged me about my crop cameras is the crappy ISO performance. I think Canon is finally starting to step up, but still lagging begind by a good margin.

yeah i went from a 5D2 to a 1D3 and was glad i made the switch, Now i shoot Sony A6k but i'm happy with the results i have got.

Facebook (external link)
Canon 1D Mk IV | Canon 50mm 1.8 Mk1 | Sigma 'Bigma' 50-500 | Fuji XE1 | Helios 44/m | 50mm 1.4 | Manfrotto 055CX PRO3 | 3LT Mohawk ballhead | Lubitel 2 med format camera |

sponsored links
TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,737 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 2 years ago by TeamSpeed. (2 edits in all)

Jun 10, 2016 09:54 |  #17

A few of you moved from a 60D to a 6D. The 6D is a newer generation FF, and the 60D is 7 year old tech for an APS-C. Of course the 6D is better IQ-wise than the 60D. When comparing crop to FF, and finding that FF yields better IQ, it matters what generations of each you are comparing.

I can guarantee you that the 7D2 ISO performance is better than the 5D, which is FF. In fact, I would put it against the 5D2, and the 5D2 won't have the edge. The 7D2 does better with shadow noise than the 5D2, and has more range, IMO. The 7D2 beats out the 5D3 in astrophotography as well, with its long exposure shadow noise performance.

So not in all cases is FF better than APS-C, IQ wise. There are trade-offs and other considerations than just IQ or ISO that drive somebody one way or another.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

Archibald
You must be quackers!
8,380 posts
Gallery: 380 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008

Jun 10, 2016 10:28 |  #18

Bassat wrote in post #18034910 (external link)
I briefly considered the 7DII before buying the 1DIV. The AF issues, while few and far between, are still being reported.

I have followed those threads about AF issues with the 7D2, and every time I read a post it made me question my 7D2. I scrutinized my photos looking for focus failure. My advice is to stay away from those threads unless you are pretty sure you have a problem.

My 7D2 is fine.

In the end, all those problems that some people have with the 7D2 (or 1D3 or whatever other camera) just make no difference to us if we don't have those problems.

Sony RX10 IV, Canon 7D2, Canon 77D, assorted Canon lenses
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Post edited over 2 years ago by Bassat.

Jun 10, 2016 12:07 |  #19

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18035042 (external link)
A few of you moved from a 60D to a 6D. The 6D is a newer generation FF, and the 60D is 7 year old tech for an APS-C. Of course the 6D is better IQ-wise than the 60D. When comparing crop to FF, and finding that FF yields better IQ, it matters what generations of each you are comparing.

I can guarantee you that the 7D2 ISO performance is better than the 5D, which is FF. In fact, I would put it against the 5D2, and the 5D2 won't have the edge. The 7D2 does better with shadow noise than the 5D2, and has more range, IMO. The 7D2 beats out the 5D3 in astrophotography as well, with its long exposure shadow noise performance.

So not in all cases is FF better than APS-C, IQ wise. There are trade-offs and other considerations than just IQ or ISO that drive somebody one way or another.

Agreed. My 60D was better at 3200 than my 5Dc. Not even a contest.

Archibald wrote in post #18035071 (external link)
I have followed those threads about AF issues with the 7D2, and every time I read a post it made me question my 7D2. I scrutinized my photos looking for focus failure. My advice is to stay away from those threads unless you are pretty sure you have a problem.

My 7D2 is fine.

In the end, all those problems that some people have with the 7D2 (or 1D3 or whatever other camera) just make no difference to us if we don't have those problems.

I believe about 99%, maybe more, of 7DII owners would agree with you. I have no first hand knowledge, having never touched one.

Excuse me. My 1DIV just got here. So far, I am happy. Shutter count lower than promised, and unmentioned extras in the box. Very good start!

Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
6,298 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Jul 2012
Post edited over 2 years ago by Scrumhalf.

Jun 10, 2016 12:20 |  #20

What Archibald said. Manufacturing line controls at these kinds of reputable manufacturers are very tight these days with SPC and such. Of course there is always a possibility that a malfunctioning camera slips through the QC process but any perceived lack of performance can almost always be attributed to user error and/or lack of experience.

Sam
5D4 | 6D | 7D2 (2 bodies) | Reasonably good glass
Gear List

flickr (external link)
If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,829 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined May 2011

Jun 10, 2016 12:48 |  #21

Bassat wrote in post #18035172 (external link)
Agreed. My 60D was better at 3200 than my 5Dc. Not even a contest.

I believe about 99%, maybe more, of 7DII owners would agree with you. I have no first hand knowledge, having never touched one.

Excuse me. My 1DIV just got here. So far, I am happy. Shutter count lower than promised, and unmentioned extras in the box. Very good start!

Happy, Happy, Tom.... congrats. I look forward to seeing the results you get.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

drmaxx
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,116 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Jun 10, 2016 12:57 |  #22

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18035042 (external link)

Very true and I do realize that I am a little too enthusiastic about the substantial sensor improvement:-P. I did check the noise comparison of 6D and the new 80D and it seems that there is still a substantial difference. As choosing the right glas - the camera needs to fit your personal style. I don't need speed but low light performance and it seems that the 6D gives me the best bang for the buck.

Donate if you love POTN

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,737 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 2 years ago by TeamSpeed.

Jun 10, 2016 13:28 |  #23

drmaxx wrote in post #18035242 (external link)
Very true and I do realize that I am a little too enthusiastic about the substantial sensor improvement:-P. I did check the noise comparison of 6D and the new 80D and it seems that there is still a substantial difference. As choosing the right glas - the camera needs to fit your personal style. I don't need speed but low light performance and it seems that the 6D gives me the best bang for the buck.

The 6D even bests the 5D3 by a little ISO-wise, it will take another couple of years before crop bodies get pretty close to the 6D and 1DX series. If the 80D does have the new sensor though, it should beat out the 6D pretty noticeably with a wide DR scene where the shadows can be pushed 3+ stops and still have detail, no banding, etc. The 6D is no slouch, but that might be the only place where the 80D would do better.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

kf095
Cream of the Crop
6,426 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Jun 13, 2016 15:55 |  #24

Good move to move from 60D to 6D. For high ISO for sure.
Personally after owning of 5Dc and 5DMII now...I don't know anymore. My 500D ISO 6400 isn't much worse of ISO 6400 from 5D MKII.
Maybe I'll switch to 6D one day...

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

Silver-Halide
810 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2015

Jun 13, 2016 22:03 |  #25

Welcome to the new world order :-)

Yes, you can now shoot in even moonlight without the need for flash, but don't throw your speedlites in the garbage just yet. They're still important for sculpting and direction shadows across a subject/person, which can't be replaced with an infinitely high ISO/DR.

Echoes in Eternity LLC | Tucson and Southern Arizona Wedding Photographer (external link)

sponsored links

5,477 views & 12 likes for this thread
Should have switched to FF a long time ago
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.