Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
Thread started 02 Jun 2016 (Thursday) 00:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Question on Flickr

seaninsa
Goldmember
1,558 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jun 02, 2016 00:37 |  #1

I was just curious is it worth still posting on Flickr? If you do post on Flickr, should I post a link in the discussion threads or post individual pictures? By doing individual pictures it seems to me that I will have to go back through a lot of my pics and create smaller ones to post on Flickr. Would love anyways advice regarding Flickr.

sponsored links
DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,014 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Jun 02, 2016 01:08 |  #2

i still post on flickr...if you're trying to share a photo on here it's pretty easy...you can just grab the BBCode for the size you want, and it will re-size the picture for you...so no need to bother with smaller sizes

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

seaninsa
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,558 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jun 02, 2016 09:54 as a reply to  @ DreDaze's post |  #3

But to put my pics in a group I would have to upload them all to that group right?

DreDaze
18,014 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Jun 02, 2016 10:45 as a reply to  @ seaninsa's post |  #4

A group on flickr? You can just upload whatever and then pick and choose what goes to the group

Andre or Dre
gear list
flickr (external link)

Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Jun 02, 2016 11:12 as a reply to  @ seaninsa's post |  #5
bannedPermanent ban

The files don't get uploaded to groups: they're uploaded just once to your account space and then just referenced. That's why you can remove your photos from groups (the files themselves aren't touched).

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

seaninsa
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,558 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jun 02, 2016 11:36 as a reply to  @ Alveric's post |  #6

I have a Zenfolio website. Is there anyway possible to upload the pics from there to Flickr? I don't want to spend hours going back through all my pics and making smaller ones and putting watermarks on them.

Is Flickr worth having your pics on?

Thanks

Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Jun 02, 2016 11:43 |  #7
bannedPermanent ban

seaninsa wrote in post #18026884 (external link)
I have a Zenfolio website. Is there anyway possible to upload the pics from there to Flickr? I don't want to spend hours going back through all my pics and making smaller ones and putting watermarks on them.

Thanks

That depends on what you want. For an ego trip, it might be worth it. From a business perspective, maybe but probably not.

Flickr is fickle. I know of some people who have been spotted by potential clients via their Flickr photostreams and have sold licences, so in those cases Flickr did work as a business tool. Yet, there are countless others who have never sold a thing or who might even have had their photos lifted by someone they can't sue. There's also the fact that Flickr is far from a reliable 'quality thermometer': plenty of garbage gets 'Explored' and even featured in their Flickr Blog, whilst myriad of good images are never ever noticed.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

Bcaps
I was a little buzzed when I took this
818 posts
Gallery: 70 photos
Best ofs: 16
Joined Jun 2003

Jun 02, 2016 13:36 |  #8

seaninsa wrote in post #18026884 (external link)

Thanks

If you are using LR, there is a Flickr plugin and you can upload all of your photos with a watermark at whatever size you want with essentially one click.

- Dave | flickr (external link)
Nikon D810
14-24mm f/2.8 | 16-35mm F/4 | 24-70mm f/2.8 | 70-200mm f/4 | Sigma 150-600mm

DreDaze
18,014 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Jun 02, 2016 13:47 |  #9

I don't know why you'd have to make them smaller...you can also make it so people can't download/use them

Andre or Dre
gear list
flickr (external link)

seaninsa
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,558 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jun 02, 2016 13:55 as a reply to  @ Bcaps's post |  #10

Thanks didn't know that.

seaninsa
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,558 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jun 02, 2016 13:56 as a reply to  @ DreDaze's post |  #11

Thanks..I know nothing about Flickr.

seaninsa
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,558 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jun 02, 2016 14:55 |  #12

Before it looked like you could export from Bridge but now you can no longer correct?

shumicse
160 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Jun 08, 2016 03:59 |  #13

I am still using Flickr as its free to use and quite good for me.

kjonnnn
Goldmember
1,204 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jun 11, 2016 19:49 |  #14

I find your phrase "still worth" curious. What were your previous thoughts about Flickr? And yes, I use Flickr.

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,194 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Jun 13, 2016 00:48 |  #15

So I set up my Flickr account years ago but never used it. Last year I set up an Instagram account and at about the same time started using my Flickr account.

So both accounts are basically new and I have hardly any followers - other than having links here in my sig I don't promote either account, I don't buy followers or even swap Likes/Follows. Any followers I have are just people who have organically decided to follow me.

My unscientific comparison is....
1. There is a lot more interaction on Instagram. I post the same images on both and get more likes and a few comments on Instagram. Well over half of these Instagram accounts appear to be businesses or people promoting stuff and the likes occur soon after posting so I assume they may be bot driven, responding to particular search terms.
2. Flickr I get the occasional image that is added to someone else's favourites but much less so than Instagram. Many of the Flickr groups also seem to be inactive or people just post their photos but never interact.
3. If I post food photos or dog photos on Instagram I get likes and comments but no followers. When I post B&W images I get likes and followers. People seem to Like the fluffy stuff but Follow the more serious stuff.

I use Flickr mostly as a photo sharing site... as in a place to put my images so I can easily share them to forums etc. I don't use it to interact as I don't find the community to be overly interactive.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

sponsored links

2,497 views & 4 likes for this thread
Question on Flickr
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.