Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 12 Jun 2016 (Sunday) 11:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I'm new, just starting out and need CC

Sharonshazzy
Hatchling
4 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2016

Jun 12, 2016 11:07 |  #1

I've only just started trying my hand at Photography and am using my Granddaughters for practice . I would like to do this as a Business eventually. Here are a couple of Pictures I did, let me know what you think, good or bad! I need all the help I can get!

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links
FerozeK
250 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jun 12, 2016 12:23 |  #2

Any particular reason why you cropped her hands out in the first image, or placed her in that postion in the the composition.

Love the baby pic...

Sharonshazzy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Jun 2016

Jun 12, 2016 12:27 as a reply to  @ FerozeK's post |  #3

No particular reason..she just happened to look down and I liked the pose and snapped it not realizing I hadn't got her Hands in the pic..thank you for your reply!

FerozeK
250 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jun 12, 2016 12:31 as a reply to  @ Sharonshazzy's post |  #4

The pose is fine except for the hands, I would have jut got her more on the right one third area as then shes looking in towards the the image.

Sharonshazzy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Jun 2016

Jun 12, 2016 12:34 as a reply to  @ FerozeK's post |  #5

I see what your saying and I agree..I have lot's of work and practice to do!

98kellrs
841 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Jun 12, 2016 17:20 |  #6

Definitely consider a wider aperture for the first one if you do that style again. The background is a bit busy so blurring that out with a shallow depth of field would have created a lovely swash of colour behind her. I agree about the composition too.

The second one is nice, very sharp, but again the subject is very awkwardly placed in the frame. Not dead centre, but not to either side either. I think that could be cropped in with some removed from the right and bottom of frame.

Ryan
Nikon D800
Fujifilm X-T1
RSK Photography Facebook - Automotive Photography page (external link)
Website (external link)

beavens
133 posts
Joined May 2015

Jun 16, 2016 08:24 as a reply to  @ 98kellrs's post |  #7

IMO the hands are not necessary in 1 and the crop was done properly without cutting off at a joint. I would look to crop this one tighter. The shot seems a bit soft to me though. +1 @ shooting this wide open to increase subject isolation.

2 is a bit statically composed (too centered) but it's not all that much of a negative, especially with the vignetting. A bit of fill flash or reflector on the baby would add a lot more pop. Also you should minimize the watermark as it's pretty dominant and distracting.

Keep practicing and honing your craft! Don't jump into the business side of things until you are confident in your skills both during the shoot and with post-processing.

Best of luck!

Jeff

mikeinctown
Goldmember
2,100 posts
Joined May 2012

Jun 16, 2016 08:41 |  #8

With the others regarding photo #1. Needed to either back away and get more of her in the photo or zoom in tighter. her skin and dress color seem to blend together as well, which to me looks odd.

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,712 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Jun 17, 2016 07:22 |  #9

cropping on number one is definitely awkward. An attempt to salvage this one might crop above the elbows. In the future, "break the joints". Realizing this is not a posed shot, breaking the joints refers to having the body's joints in any other position than where they would be if you were just standing straight and looking at the camera ... lift arms from body, bend elbows and wrists, etc

two has the blanket encroaching on the face, otherwise a nice photo.

both could use the subject to not be smack in the middle of the frame.

good work, keep it up!

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Sharonshazzy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Jun 2016

Jun 17, 2016 18:22 |  #10

Thank you all!

sponsored links

2,289 views & 0 likes for this thread
I'm new, just starting out and need CC
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.