Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 07 Jun 2016 (Tuesday) 07:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Credit Card Fees

huntersdad
Goldmember
4,582 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jun 07, 2016 07:48 |  #1

Wondering how you guys account for credit card fees in your pricing structure. Do you add a line item on your invoices? Do you eat them as a CODB? They're relatively low considering you get immediate payment, but I can see how they could really add up over time.

Facebook (external link)

http://WWW.BLENDEDLIGH​TPHOTOGRAPHY.COM (external link)
5D4 / 35 F2 / 50L / 85 1.8

sponsored links
DagoImaging
Goldmember
1,908 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Nov 2012

Jun 07, 2016 07:52 |  #2

My prices have them figured in, that way the customer doesn't think he's being charged for them. I think a separate line item makes them feel you're needling them for every penny.

Sony a6300/ 16-70/4 / 70-200/4 G / Sony HVL-60M
https://designcostello​.com/ (external link)

moose10101
registered smartass
1,642 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined May 2010

Jun 07, 2016 08:49 |  #3

That would be considered a surcharge for using the card. While there is no longer any federal prohibition against that, some states still don't allow it (California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Kansas, Maine, Massachusetts, New York, Oklahoma and Texas).

Even if you're not in one of those states, build the fees into your pricing structure. If you like, you can offer a discount for cash payment.

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Jun 07, 2016 09:16 |  #4

moose10101 wrote in post #18031861 (external link)
That would be considered a surcharge for using the card. While there is no longer any federal prohibition against that, some states still don't allow it (California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Kansas, Maine, Massachusetts, New York, Oklahoma and Texas).

Even if you're not in one of those states, build the fees into your pricing structure. If you like, you can offer a discount for cash payment.

Some gas stations in northern Indiana do this. Quite popular. It usually runs between 2-3% of the per/g price.

mikeinctown
Goldmember
2,096 posts
Joined May 2012

Jun 08, 2016 09:32 |  #5

Offer a cash discount if you want, but don't add the fee on top. To me that would be like you going to Walmart and getting $100 worth of groceries and then Walmart charging you an extra $3 when you swipe your card. Most people wouldn't put up with it.

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jun 08, 2016 23:52 |  #6

Build it into your prices. It's a CODB

kjonnnn
Goldmember
1,204 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jun 12, 2016 16:59 as a reply to  @ mikeinctown's post |  #7

Many businesses do just that for online payments. Its called a convenience fee.

moose10101
registered smartass
1,642 posts
Joined May 2010

Jun 13, 2016 08:53 |  #8

kjonnnn wrote in post #18037266 (external link)
Many businesses do just that for online payments. Its called a convenience fee.

We're advising to NOT show it as a separate fee. And not many businesses do that for online payments; aside from a rent payment, I haven't seen any business charge a convenience fee.

mikeinctown
Goldmember
2,096 posts
Joined May 2012

Jun 13, 2016 09:48 |  #9

moose10101 wrote in post #18037823 (external link)
We're advising to NOT show it as a separate fee. And not many businesses do that for online payments; aside from a rent payment, I haven't seen any business charge a convenience fee.

Companies which got you by the nuts will do this. For example the electric company here will charge you a $9 "service fee" if you want to use a credit card rather than your bank account. Since I already owe them and I have zero choice of other suppliers, I have to follow their rules.

For a business in competition with others, I would not do this as it just makes you look cheap and money hungry.

jmweb
518 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jun 20, 2016 22:04 |  #10

CODB. I'd rather 99% of something then 100% of nothing.
And people spend more when they can buy on a credit card.

STPimages
35 posts
Joined Dec 2015

Jun 29, 2016 13:09 |  #11

It also depends on your volume of client purchases on credit cards. I am a niche photo studio and I don't have a huge number of transactions every month, but each one is larger than an average photography invoice. When it is time to pay the invoice, I urge my clients to use checks to pay me as it saves me on credit card fees. Most of my clients are sympathetic to a small business person and they are also sensitive to the degree in which credit card clearing houses disproportionately penalize small business (ESPECIALLY American Express).

In Fiscal Year 2015, I paid just short of $2,000.00 in credit card fees to card clearing companies for the "convenience" of having my clients use credit cards. This $2,000.00 number is smaller than it WOULD have been due to the fact that I am able to convince roughly half of my clients who initially pull out a credit card to put the card back up and to write me a check.

I have several invoices a month that are between $1,000.00 and $2,000.00. When someone asks if they can pay with a credit card, I cringe. When you see the line item credit card fees for each $1,000.00+ transaction on your monthly statement, it puts the impact of credit card fees to your bottom line into perspective quickly.

Summarily, my prices are set to factor in all fixed and variable costs, including my annual credit card fees. These fees are ultimately an ugly CODB that we all must bear, so price accordingly.

Todd Parker, CPP
STP Images
Houston, TX

CheleA
354 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jul 2014

Jun 29, 2016 13:28 |  #12

We do have a business, not photography, and can tell you that clients don't appreciate surcharges -- you should just adjust for it in your invoices as a CODB. A surcharge might have a negative impact on your business. Back when gasoline prices were very high, some gas stations had a separate(higher) price for credit cards, you could clearly see those stations had much less customers than the ones that had the same price for cash/credit --- even if the prices were the same as the ones adding the surcharge. It seems to be a mentality/culture things:(

moose10101
registered smartass
1,642 posts
Joined May 2010

Jun 30, 2016 09:54 |  #13

CheleA wrote in post #18053375 (external link)
We do have a business, not photography, and can tell you that clients don't appreciate surcharges -- you should just adjust for it in your invoices as a CODB. A surcharge might have a negative impact on your business. Back when gasoline prices were very high, some gas stations had a separate(higher) price for credit cards, you could clearly see those stations had much less customers than the ones that had the same price for cash/credit --- even if the prices were the same as the ones adding the surcharge. It seems to be a mentality/culture things:(

It's a "be honest about the price" thing.

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,402 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Jun 30, 2016 10:46 |  #14

CheleA wrote in post #18053375 (external link)

All of the gas stations in our region are back to doing this; it drives me batty

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Jun 30, 2016 12:41 |  #15

moose10101 wrote in post #18037823 (external link)

You've obviously never ordered pro sports tickets online.

I get Cubs tickets twice a year. Ticket price + convenience fee (~$15) + delivery (~$10 EACH, then they mail all tickets in one envelope for $0.79), + at least three different Illinois taxes.

sponsored links

3,872 views & 2 likes for this thread
Credit Card Fees
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.