Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 12 Jun 2016 (Sunday) 03:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Shooting with guests's phones

texkam
"Just let me be a stupid photographer."
1,311 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jun 12, 2016 03:21 |  #1

OK, show of hands...... How many have experienced this?
So as I'm posing up wedding guests for a group shot one of the guest hands me their smartphone and asks me to take a pic with it too. Happened twice. lol

I usually shoot more corporate events, so maybe this is very common now at weddings. I've had the over your shoulder shooters, but don't remember having this happen. Sign of the times, I guess. : /

sponsored links
saea501
... spilled over a little on the panties
6,597 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 12, 2016 05:58 |  #2

Old codger that I am I would probably say '....sorry, no, I'm working.'

Remember what the DorMouse said.....feed your head.
Bob
https://www.flickr.com …282@N06/with/38​203470844/ (external link)

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jun 12, 2016 06:25 |  #3

Nope.

Peter

PMGphotog
342 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jun 12, 2016 07:53 |  #4

A few weeks ago I was shooting a wedding reception and had set up a portrait area for people to come over to get some shots done. One guest handed me their iPhone and wanted a shot then were surprised that it didn't trigger my flash units :)

( I could have put them in slave mode I guess and triggered it from the camera flash, but I had my flashes set as needed and didn't want to change the settings )

Canon EOS 1000d /60d : 18-55mm IS kit lens. Canon 50mm 1.8 MK2. Tamron 55-200mm F4-5.6, battery grip to make my cam look pro..and 30mm Sigma F1.4 recently added
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/patmcguire2011/ (external link)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
9,413 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Jun 12, 2016 08:01 |  #5

not surprising, i guess. I mean, sure i can probably take a better pic with a phone than a non-photog, but i would politely decline.

PMGphotog wrote in post #18036847 (external link)
( I could have put them in slave mode I guess and triggered it from the camera flash, but I had my flashes set as needed and didn't want to change the settings )

i checked this years ago when i first got my phone, the flash was not bright enough to trigger the flash, even with the optical slave very close to the phone. It would also be difficult to set correct exposure with most standard phone camera apps.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jun 12, 2016 21:58 |  #6

We have no problem using a guest phone or camera to snap a quick picture. Probably do it half a dozen times at every wedding. Usually when someone's trying to do a group photo selfie style with to short of arms :)

Now we won't do it during first dance or cake cutting or any of the important moments but why not during the slow points of the reception. Then again there is always two of us working so that might be the difference.

tim
Light Bringer
50,962 posts
Joined Nov 2004
Post edited over 2 years ago by tim.

Jun 13, 2016 20:53 |  #7

Nope, I won't touch anyone's phone or camera. I'll take the photo with my cameras and tell them the B&G can give them a copy. If I was trying to be funny I might say "No sorry, health and safety rules, I might injure my thumb" with a wink ;)

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

jcolman
Goldmember
2,622 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Mar 2008

Jun 21, 2016 10:34 |  #8

Littlejon Dsgn wrote in post #18037480 (external link)
We have no problem using a guest phone or camera to snap a quick picture. Probably do it half a dozen times at every wedding. Usually when someone's trying to do a group photo selfie style with to short of arms :)

Now we won't do it during first dance or cake cutting or any of the important moments but why not during the slow points of the reception. Then again there is always two of us working so that might be the difference.

This. Being kind to guests can go a long way towards getting future work.

www.jimcolmanphotograp​hy.com (external link)

solepatch
Goldmember
1,202 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2012

Jun 21, 2016 10:41 |  #9

I've had it happen before. If I'm not super busy at the moment I'll oblige. If I'm actually posing a shot or if it's a high activity time during the wedding I tell them sorry and to find me later if they still want a shot.

Aaron
Canon 6D | 70D | Σ35 F/1.4A | Tamron 24-70 F/2.8 Di VC USD | 40 F/2.8 | 85 F/1.8 | 70-210 F/3.5-4.5 | Rokinon 14 F/2.8 | 430ex ii | YN-622C | Zoom H4N
Canon EOS M | 22 F/2 Pancake | C/Y Zeiss 50 F/1.4 t*

jackinavox
302 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Jun 21, 2016 16:56 |  #10

I do it if time allows and if its not the appropriate time (due to shooting something important or time critical) I would say 'let me get back to you'.

I agree it goes a long way in having a good relationship with guests. Quite recently I actually had a would be bride who emailed us and her first words were 'You may remember taking a photo of us with our own camera'. And yes, she hired us for her wedding. :)

Candy Capco Photography (external link) | Wellington Wedding & Lifestyle Photographer (external link)
Follow us on Facebook! (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,419 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 2 years ago by Wilt. (3 edits in all)

Jun 21, 2016 18:01 |  #11

Have to wonder...why the heck can't they simply ask another guest standing/sitting nearby, rather than bother the guy hired to shoot for the bridal couple?!
He may be a 'pro' but he still points and shoots a smartphone 'in green box mode' -- just like every other snapshooter!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

solepatch
Goldmember
1,202 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jun 22, 2016 08:36 |  #12

I think most people just assume, and probably rightly so, that most people that are good enough to shoot a wedding with high level gear can probably make a better photo with a smartphone than they can. I blew a friends mind the other day when I showed him that you could change the way his smartphone camera metered a scene by tapping on lighter or darker areas, which unfortunately also changes the focus in his case, but for the sunset he was trying to shoot that's not too big of a deal.

Aaron
Canon 6D | 70D | Σ35 F/1.4A | Tamron 24-70 F/2.8 Di VC USD | 40 F/2.8 | 85 F/1.8 | 70-210 F/3.5-4.5 | Rokinon 14 F/2.8 | 430ex ii | YN-622C | Zoom H4N
Canon EOS M | 22 F/2 Pancake | C/Y Zeiss 50 F/1.4 t*

Roamingbull
628 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Oct 2010

Jun 23, 2016 18:11 |  #13

If a guest who is in the picture I am taking asks that this be done, I will do it but I tell them its after the shot the couple are paying for has been taken. If everyone holds Ill get it real quick. That usually ends it there.

Why don't you take a picture, it will last longer....
My web site is Eternal Reflections (external link)
Gear List: Got lots of good stuff of my own, and I use Borrow Lens.com for the rest.

smorter
Goldmember
4,506 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 04, 2016 01:51 |  #14

I love it when guests ask me to take one with their iphones

That way I don't have to stand awkwardly waiting for their mates to finish so that I can take a shot on my camera (of course...by the time the mate has excruciatingly finished taking a photo, everybody's lost interest and moved off, leaving me with no pic)

Wedding Photography Melbourneexternal link
Reviews: 85LII

iplayazi
546 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jul 05, 2016 23:11 |  #15

I had the brides mom ask my assistant to take her cell phone and take photos with it all day lol

Todd Kwiczak
Canon Gear
www.tkshotz.com (external link)

sponsored links

4,213 views & 3 likes for this thread
Shooting with guests's phones
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.