Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 14 Jun 2016 (Tuesday) 22:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Question, I don't even know how to title this

Josilou
56 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2009

Jun 15, 2016 14:38 |  #31

Why not consider paying for the past equipment, course and anything else out of the "Profits" once you have made some. Your loan is a start up cost isn't it?

I agree with the others that having your own bank account for your business is important. It's not going to work otherwise if you mix business and family money.

Did you plan on being a photographer in a partnership? If you want to work for yourself, just as yourself, you'll need to have a different arrangement, and may need to consider not sharing all the information with someone else who does not have the best interests of your business or yourself at heart.

Canon EOS 70D EOS Digital Rebel XT / EOS 350D / Kiss Digital N EOS 5D Mark III | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 II EF 100-300mm f/4.5-5.6 USM EF 35-80mm f/4-5.6 III USM EF 85mm f/1.8 USM EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM EF 17-40mm f/4L USM | Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG APO OS HSM | Canon Speedlite 430 EX

sponsored links
Archibald
You must be quackers!
7,744 posts
Gallery: 319 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008
Post edited over 2 years ago by Archibald.

Jun 15, 2016 15:17 |  #32

atsilverstein wrote in post #18040333 (external link)
I don't qualify for a business loan because I haven't had the business open for at least a year. And since I've been a SAHM for the past several years I could only qualify with combined household income. I am assuming loan qualifications have gotten more stringent since the collapse of the financial market 2008.

OK, if nobody will give you a business loan, and if you must have gear now, then you have to underwrite it yourself. And that will stress the family finances.

Financial institutions know that starting up a business is risky. If they won't give you a loan, take that as wise counsel. You are too high a risk to them.

An alternative way to build a business would be by bootstrapping - start with the gear you have and fund new acquisitions with earnings from your photography work. There is much less risk that way.

Your new business seems to be in conflict with what hubby wants. That is going to make things difficult for both of you. Unfortunately we at POTN can't do anything about hubby's viewpoint. So for that reason alone, it is probably best to keep that talk to a minimum.

Sony RX10 IV, Canon 7D2, Canon 77D, assorted Canon lenses
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

Scott ­ Spellman
203 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Oct 2015

Jun 16, 2016 08:31 |  #33

atsilverstein wrote in post #18039757 (external link)
I am in the process of going pro and so I am starting my own LLC. I've taken out a 10k loan, $7500 of which is for new gear and equipment that will be enough to work a wedding I have booked in August. I also have a couple of smaller jobs before then. The rest of the loan amount is to give me some cushion while I am starting up. My monthly bills for everything including the loan is under $500. My husband wants me to pay him back for the prior things that have been bought for the photography, which he then wants transferred into the business as business assets. Has anyone else done this? I understand it's just swapping things around but I'd rather not use the loan funds to pay ourselves when I haven't even officially started.. basically he was saying that I owe him that money back. Help.

Get a professional accountant to setup your accounts properly and make proper decisions based on expert advice instead of amateur whim.

AZGeorge
Goldmember
2,461 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 16, 2016 18:06 |  #34

You may want to search out a good marriage counselor and, unless you pretty certain your spouse would participate willingly, make the first appointment a solo.

What seems to be coming off as selfish and controlling may (or may not) be based or perceived (or even real) business acumen. A safe place in which to explore might be worth the time and effort.

In any event best wishes for your new business.

George
Democracy Dies in Darkness

Capn ­ Jack
Goldmember
2,267 posts
Gallery: 995 photos
Joined Mar 2010
Post edited over 2 years ago by Capn Jack.

Jun 16, 2016 21:16 |  #35

Also consider a bookkeeping class, or a financial accounting class. This will let you set up accounts properly so that it is easier to handle your taxes, if nothing else. I also agree with keeping the business account separate from personal accounts. Even if you follow the advice above about getting an accountant accountant to set up initial books, it will be a great help in understanding why he set things up as he did and enable you to ask better questions about the arrangement of the accounts.

I hope you get things worked out at home and I hope your business is a success.

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,954 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 17, 2016 05:54 |  #36

Here in the UK we have local Enterprise services, my local one being the Norfolk &Waveny Enterprise Service (I think thats the full name, they go by NWES most of the time). They offer free courses on setting up your own business. These cover all the important stuff like finance, tax registration, costings and even producing a business plan. Along with the courses they also have support and mentoring services. I did their seting up a small business course a few years ago, and it was really helpful. I am sure that you must have similar services over in the USA.

From what you have said here I think that at this moment in time taking out a significant personal loan to finance your business is not the cleverest of ideas. I second the idea of going to marrage guidance. I can say that as unpleasant as it can be to confront those things now can be, the later regret at not dealing with it can end up being even worse.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

ThreeHounds
830 posts
Gallery: 76 photos
Joined Mar 2014
Post edited over 2 years ago by ThreeHounds.

Jun 17, 2016 07:28 |  #37

BigAl007 wrote in post #18042080 (external link)
Here in the UK we have local Enterprise services, my local one being the Norfolk &Waveny Enterprise Service (I think thats the full name, they go by NWES most of the time). They offer free courses on setting up your own business. These cover all the important stuff like finance, tax registration, costings and even producing a business plan. Along with the courses they also have support and mentoring services. I did their seting up a small business course a few years ago, and it was really helpful. I am sure that you must have similar services over in the USA.

Alan

Yes, here we have the SBA (Small Business Administration). They can be very informative and helpful for people starting on the path for the first time. Lots of local retired people are more than willing to mentor in adition to the program.

Link (external link)

5D MkIII | 7D | Bronica ETRS
EF 24-105 f/4 L | EF 85mm f/1.8 USM | EF 17-40 f/4 L | EF 70-300 f/4 L | 105 f/3.5 Zenzanon | Tamron SP90 f/2.8 Di Macro VC USM
flickr (external link)

atsilverstein
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,254 posts
Gallery: 46 photos
Joined Mar 2015

Jun 17, 2016 07:53 |  #38

I am doing everything through Legalzoom to set everything up and to make sure taxes are taken care of. I'm setting up my business bank account today and will transfer the remaining loan balance into it.

I tried going through the SBA but apparently it depends on the state how robust the program is.

It matters not how strait the gate, How charged with punishments the scroll. I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.
- William Ernest Henley

joedlh
Cream of the Crop
5,275 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Dec 2007
Location: Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.

Jun 17, 2016 08:06 |  #39

I didn't read all the responses. However, I think there are aspects to this situation that go beyond what a bunch of photographers or small business owners can help you with. Your husband's actions bespeak of other underlying issues that should be taken up with a counselor.

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​t (external link)
Editing ok

mikeinctown
Goldmember
2,075 posts
Joined May 2012

Jun 17, 2016 10:22 |  #40

atsilverstein wrote in post #18042149 (external link)
I am doing everything through Legalzoom to set everything up and to make sure taxes are taken care of. I'm setting up my business bank account today and will transfer the remaining loan balance into it.

I tried going through the SBA but apparently it depends on the state how robust the program is.

Legalzoom is for documents. What you really need to do is sit down with an accounting professional and find out what is legal in your state as far as deductions, how to handle sales, collecting sales tax, etc. The accountant will help you far more than you may think. If you haven't already, you'll need to seek out several photography contracts and also go through the forum here to get ideas on what to add to that contract. Don't do any job without a contract in place as you'll only wind up creating more of a hassle for yourself. Have a lawyer look over anything you come up with and approve or help you make changes.

I think as you go along you will find that the actual photography aspect of the business is by far the smallest part of running that business. Take care of the really important stuff and the artistic side will fall into place.

rob0225
268 posts
Joined May 2011

Jun 21, 2016 21:08 |  #41

Bounce this bozo. If he is being this much of a jerk instead of trying to help you in your venture (as a husband should). You don't need him, find someone who will treat you like a wife should be.

http://www.randsphoto.​com (external link)

rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
22,160 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2012

Jun 21, 2016 21:17 |  #42

rob0225 wrote in post #18046395 (external link)
Bounce this bozo. If he is being this much of a jerk instead of trying to help you in your venture (as a husband should). You don't need him, find someone who will treat you like a wife should be.

Such good advice Dr. Freud.:rolleyes:

Mark

sponsored links

5,574 views & 26 likes for this thread
Question, I don't even know how to title this
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.