Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Kids & Family 
Thread started 18 Jun 2016 (Saturday) 01:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My daughter - 10 minutes before her first dance class

jebrady03
164 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Jan 2014

Jun 18, 2016 01:52 |  #1

My daughter, Kyla, has always been a little on the reserved side when it comes to new things, new people, etc. With my wife and I, she's not even a little bit shy. Ever. She's a tad bossy, if I'm being honest! lol

Recently, my wife floated the idea of signing Kyla up for dance classes, to see if she liked it. My wife danced and I played a variety of sports growing up, and we want our kids to have active, out of school activities for a variety of reasons. So, we asked Kyla if she'd like to do it and she (literally) jumped at the idea! So we signed her up for a 6 week class, bought all the requisite clothing, and then waited. :-) lol

While waiting for the day to roll around when she could start, we would often ask her about her expectations and fill in the blanks for her, hoping that she'd jump right in and get the most out of it. Well, our conversations just served to excite her even more! Finally, Thursday rolls around, my wife leaves work early to pick up Kyla to get her to the class and we were planning to take her to a really great area with lots of beautiful pockets of light and big, beautiful, mature oak trees beforehand to take a few pictures but as it turned out, traffic wasn't cooperating so we were stuck with a few snapshots in the parking lot of the dance studio.

The first two pictures were on a (somewhat) grassy area separating two parking rows. It was about 6' wide or so. Definitely not ideal. But hey, I worked with what I had!
Both were taken with the 5D Mark III and EF 200mm f/2.8L II, wide open

IMAGE: https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7321/27742170825_39042646b2_c.jpg

IMAGE: https://c7.staticflickr.com/8/7273/27641666302_86407b5850_b.jpg

Once we grabbed 3 different poses there, plus the headshot, it was time to take her to class! On the way, she was SO excited. She was overflowing with energy and anticipation and she was showing us her best "moves" :-) lol So, I swapped on the EF 135mm f/2L and captured a few of her moves for the sake of posterity and teenage coercion :-)

IMAGE: https://c5.staticflickr.com/8/7703/27464181860_bc11231bca_b.jpg

IMAGE: https://c8.staticflickr.com/8/7444/27742170615_c94816c633_b.jpg

For anyone wondering what's in her hands, those are her ballet slippers. The nice young woman who helped us pick them out made Kyla promise not to wear them anywhere but the dance studio, so she carried them inside while wearing her sandals :-)

At this point, I peaked out from behind the camera and said: "hey Kyla, show me how happy you are without jumping around", and this was the result.

IMAGE: https://c8.staticflickr.com/8/7669/27667555991_14d56338e2_c.jpg

She did incredibly well in the class. Following all of the teachers instructions and she actually managed to do quite well with the physical moves. After class she just kept repeating "I did what the teachers did!!!!"

Overall, a GREAT experience and she can't wait for next Thursday :-)

Hope you enjoyed!

longbeachgary
Redwood Original
583 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Aug 2003

Jun 19, 2016 13:50 |  #2

Nice work.

Canon 1DX, Canon 1D Mark iii, 20 F2.8, 100 F2.0, 200L F2.8, 300L F4, 400L 5.6, 17-40 F4, 24-70 F2.8L, 70-200 F2.8L, 70-200 F4 IS, and the 2nd 3rd party lens I've ever owned - Sigma 150-600 f5-6.3 Sport.

George ­ Zip
My neighbours are looking at me a bit strangely
1,307 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Aug 2015

Jul 01, 2016 06:41 |  #3

God bless her

frayne
157 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2013

Jul 01, 2016 07:00 |  #4

Great pics and real memory makers.

The only thing a golfer and photographer needs is more light.
Canon G9/5D/6D/70D Lenses 100-400L IS/17-40L/24-105L IS/100L IS/85 USM

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,561 views & 14 likes for this thread
My daughter - 10 minutes before her first dance class
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Kids & Family 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.