Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 15 Jun 2016 (Wednesday) 07:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Emily with sunglasses

this thread is locked
Jeff_56
THREAD ­ STARTER
285 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Jan 2013

Jun 17, 2016 14:43 |  #16
bannedPermanent ban

Just to prove I don't quit even when I start out flaky here's one more attempt at getting it better. Still not perfect but better IMO. I'm still learning the HDR software I'm using.

IMAGE: http://www.a-framevideo.com/Emily%20with%20sunglasses%203-1-2.jpg

sponsored links
AD ­ Campbell
797 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Jun 18, 2016 00:26 |  #17

Jeff_56 wrote in post #18041212 (external link)
Did you look at the original? It isn't a smartphone photo. I shot it with my Canon DSLR. The light just wasn't there for a good quality photo. I could have set the exposure I suppose but I was just shooting family members at a reunion when I shot this. It isn't a posed shot. She's sitting under an arbor so she's sitting in a shadow with a sunlit background. The camera adapted for the background and the result was a photo without enough light. I've been experimenting with HDR for one thing and that has created a good deal of the noise. I had much better luck with landscapes in HDR. Still it did add light that even Lightroom couldn't do. I tried that first.

It is what it is - an under exposed image with an attempt to bring out the natural color of my daughter's hair. It added a lot of noise especially to her skin.

The photo would still work well as a 5X8 hung on a wall where people wouldn't be standing too close. The noise isn't noticeable from a short distance away but the hair color is. So I like it. Photography isn't always about the perfectly shot image. It's about capturing a moment too. And sometimes that means just doing the best you can.

Whooa...ease up, Tiger. You were just given an opinion. That'll happen once you publish to the public.

www.acampbellphoto.net (external link)

Jeff_56
THREAD ­ STARTER
285 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Jun 18, 2016 20:14 |  #18
bannedPermanent ban

Whooa...ease up, Tiger.

Ease up??? On what??? I didn't say anything out of the way. I didn't do anything except explain the situation. You totally misread my attitude friend. I have no problems with anything said here. I was just stating why I did what I did.

98kellrs
841 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Jun 21, 2016 03:26 |  #19

I think I'd stick with the original personally, I wouldn't say it's worth messing around trying to make the most of it.

Ryan
Nikon D800
Fujifilm X-T1
RSK Photography Facebook - Automotive Photography page (external link)
Website (external link)

drew22mader
94 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2006

Jun 23, 2016 11:19 |  #20

I'm trying to figure out what it is you are looking for? Like others have said, it looks like a cell phone shot. I'm not trying to be mean but you're not gonna get anything out of this more than what you've done.

Canon 5D MKIII Gripped - 7D gripped - 100mm 2.8L - 16-35 2.8L II - 24-70 2.8L II - 85 1.2L II - 70-200 2.8L II

Jeff_56
THREAD ­ STARTER
285 posts
Joined Jan 2013
Post edited over 3 years ago by Jeff_56.

Jun 23, 2016 11:30 |  #21
bannedPermanent ban

Did you ever take a photo where the light wasn't good? That's why it looks like it does. Still I like the look of my daughter in this photo. I wanted to bring out her natural hair color. I'm not trying to do anything else. I already did what I wanted to do. Unfortunately there wasn't enough light for this photo and there was a problem with backlighting. It is what it is. I don't know why you're asking me what "I'm looking for". I totally explained the situation. I'm not looking for anything. I didn't ask for help or anything. What makes you think I'm looking for something? I improved a low quality image the best that I could. That's the whole story. I've taken much better photos. I know the difference. I took better photos back in the 1970's actually.

It might help if you looked through my gallery. I don't always post images with noise as a result of light issues.

saea501
... spilled over a little on the panties
6,705 posts
Gallery: 43 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 23, 2016 15:40 |  #22

Jeff_56 wrote in post #18047907 (external link)
Did you ever take a photo where the light wasn't good? That's why it looks like it does. Still I like the look of my daughter in this photo. I wanted to bring out her natural hair color. I'm not trying to do anything else. I already did what I wanted to do. Unfortunately there wasn't enough light for this photo and there was a problem with backlighting. It is what it is. I don't know why you're asking me what "I'm looking for". I totally explained the situation. I'm not looking for anything. I didn't ask for help or anything. What makes you think I'm looking for something? I improved a low quality image the best that I could. That's the whole story. I've taken much better photos. I know the difference. I took better photos back in the 1970's actually.

If that's the case, which I have no doubt that it is, then I guess I wonder why you posted it here in the first place. If it is simply a cute snapshot of your daughter then it's something that is perhaps meant for you and your family and not the general public. By posting a picture here most everyone is going to start picking it apart and offering suggestions, good and bad, on ways to improve it.

You ask above: "Did you ever take a photo where the light wasn't good?" Of course....we all have. And in most cases that picture is crap and gets binned. But if it's a picture that means something to you, as is the case here, then by all means keep it. Make no mistake, there is indeed a place in this world for non award winning family snapshots. I have boxes of them and I most certainly look at them from time to time and I treasure them. But no one other than myself and family members ever see them. But there is no need to post it here and then get upset because several people have said that perhaps it wasn't your best work.

If you in fact don't want anyone to critique or suggest changes you should state that specifically in your initial post.

Remember what the DorMouse said.....feed your head.
Bob
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/147975282@N06 (external link)

Jeff_56
THREAD ­ STARTER
285 posts
Joined Jan 2013
Post edited over 3 years ago by Jeff_56. (2 edits in all)

Jun 23, 2016 16:07 as a reply to  @ saea501's post |  #23
bannedPermanent ban

I knew to expect suggestions to improve the photo. It obviously needed it. I was trying to accomplish a goal that was already accomplished as much as possible. I happen to think the way my daughter looked in this photo was exceptional. Not all photos turn out so well and if I can save one that has that look I'm going to try. I thought there was more to the photo than just a family snapshot. I don't expect to sell it or anything. It's nowhere near good enough for that. But it does have a look that I like and I thought others would too. Plus I was experimenting with HDR and hoped to work out a better way to get what I wanted going that direction. That is something I'm new to.

I don't know why people are making such a big deal about this. I was never offended by anything anyone said. I don't mind criticism if it's constructive. But at this point the issue has been beat to death and there's really nowhere to go from here. We're just rehashing what has been covered. I think the last form of the image worked pretty well actually. I've certainly seen portrait photographers add more distortion to their images than this one has. I still think it's a good image. It's something I could print and hang on my wall (if my printer didn't just die anyway) and no one would notice the grainy stuff if I put it in the right place. Lots of other people have remarked about how well the image looks so it isn't all bad news. And trust me, there are people in my family that are super knowledgeable about such things. I have a niece that has worked as a Madison Ave. model for 15 years. I myself learned photography a long time ago when we used light meters and medium format film.

Why did I post it here? Because there is material there for an excellent photo if I can work out the issues. What better place to find help? It's not all about showing off your best work here. But I don't see any help coming now. All I see are questions that seemingly have criticism in mind rather than constructive criticism. Why do you care so much that I posted it here anyway? And this stuff about me being upset - where's that at? I plainly said before that I was NOT upset about anything said here. That's starting to change though. Your question was useless.

Whatever the case I'm done answering the "why did you post that dog of a photo" questions. Read what was said. I've answered that question often enough already. If you feel the need to make someone look bad feel free to hammer away. I didn't mind when people were helping but asking why I posted it here is NOT helping. I wasn't upset before but this continual hammering about why I posted it sound more like a personal attack than constructive criticism. I plainly said before that I didn't mind the criticism. I guess you didn't actually read the thread or something. You want to know why I posted it here? I want to know why you care so much? Those are troll like questions. And I'm not playing.

JWdlft
314 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Jun 24, 2016 04:20 |  #24

saea501 wrote in post #18048153 (external link)
If you in fact don't want anyone to critique or suggest changes you should state that specifically in your initial post.

I disagree. This is the Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment ➔ People section of the forum, so if you want critique you should ask for it, and preferably in the Critique section of the Talk forum.

AD ­ Campbell
797 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Jun 24, 2016 06:32 |  #25

I'm surprised so many people get upset at saea501. I just assumed he / she was the resident troll and was to be ignored. -?

saea501
6,705 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 24, 2016 06:46 |  #26

AD Campbell wrote in post #18048645 (external link)
I'm surprised so many people get upset at saea501. I just assumed he / she was the resident troll and was to be ignored. -?

Excuse me?

Bob

AD ­ Campbell
797 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Jun 24, 2016 06:57 |  #27

saea501 wrote in post #18048651 (external link)
Excuse me?

Would you like me to repeat myself or clarify? I'll assume you'd prefer the latter.

Of your 3000+ posts, you only have 20 images in your gallery and most of your posts (that I've seen) appear to be snarky nitpicking of other peoples photos without demonstrating that you can do any better. I just assumed trolling is your thing.

saea501
6,705 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 24, 2016 07:27 |  #28

Boy, you're just the real tough guy aren't you?

The only thing more frustrating than slanderers are those foolish enough to listen to them.

Bob

AD ­ Campbell
797 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Jun 24, 2016 07:30 |  #29

saea501 wrote in post #18048667 (external link)
Boy, you're just the real tough guy aren't you?

The only thing more frustrating than slanderers are those foolish enough to listen to them.

Tough guy? Not at all, I'm merely making an observation.

Jeff_56
THREAD ­ STARTER
285 posts
Joined Jan 2013
Post edited over 3 years ago by Jeff_56.

Jun 24, 2016 08:56 |  #30
bannedPermanent ban

I wasn't going to do this but I'm going to say one thing and that's it. Anyone that wonders "why you posted" something isn't doing anyone any favors. It did seem trollish to me especially when you add accusing me of getting "upset" when I had just explained that I was in no way upset. On the troll scale I'd give it a 95 out of 100.

sponsored links

9,052 views & 5 likes for this thread
Emily with sunglasses
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.