Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 21 Jun 2016 (Tuesday) 23:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Need Help with an Edit

huntersdad
Goldmember
4,612 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jun 21, 2016 23:49 |  #1

I worked with a family this weekend and delivered their images yesterday. Grandma asked me to do edits on the entire set. The first was simple and done. This one not so simple.

She wants to see this picture without the boy in the front holding his tie out. I did 2 sets of about 10 shots apiece. In the first set, he's not holding his tie, but his cousin on the end is yawning big time. Second set he's got the tie. I started with a layer mask to try and remove the yawning, but the alignment is way off so I can't mask him and the tie off either. I've tried copy/paste of the girls face, but the yawn is so big I can't find her face big enough or natural enough to use dn tried copy/paste on the section with the tie, but that's not working either.

Any other suggestions?

One showing the yawn

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Tie is the issue

HOSTED PHOTO

Facebook (external link)

http://WWW.BLENDEDLIGH​TPHOTOGRAPHY.COM (external link)
1DxII x 2 / 24-70L II / 70-200L II / 85 1.4L / 300 II / AD600Pros

sponsored links
Merlin_AZ
869 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jun 22, 2016 00:40 |  #2

It's possible to copy her face over and use free transform to make adjustments. My selection isn't great, but it's with a lowres copy.

HOSTED PHOTO

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,228 posts
Gallery: 1648 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Jun 22, 2016 01:12 |  #3

Heya,

Face swap with a free transform as mentioned, good results above actually.

But, I have to say, I think the shot with the tie is great. I'd want to keep that one if it were my family. Having a formal with something that breaks the sterility is great. :)

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

huntersdad
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,612 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jun 22, 2016 06:40 |  #4

MalVeauX wrote in post #18046573 (external link)
Heya,

Face swap with a free transform as mentioned, good results above actually.

But, I have to say, I think the shot with the tie is great. I'd want to keep that one if it were my family. Having a formal with something that breaks the sterility is great. :)

Very best,

That's exactly what I told her.

Facebook (external link)

huntersdad
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,612 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jun 22, 2016 06:55 |  #5

Merlin_AZ wrote in post #18046550 (external link)
It's possible to copy her face over and use free transform to make adjustments. My selection isn't great, but it's with a lowres copy.
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Merlin_AZ in
./showthread.php?p=180​46550&i=i37428990
forum: RAW, Post Processing & Printing

Merlin, What was your selection area? I can get her face over there but either the bottom of her chin doesn't get covered or the inside portion of the election is too big. I've tried using the transform tools, but they make things worse.

FWIW, PS isn't a strong point for me.

Facebook (external link)

AnnieMacD
Oops, me again
3,591 posts
Gallery: 627 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Aug 2012

Jun 22, 2016 07:03 |  #6

If you have Photoshop CC, you can use the new Face-Aware Liquify Tool and could probably even close her mouth in the yawn photo without much effort.

flickr (external link)

BlakeC
"Dad was a meat cutter"
2,673 posts
Gallery: 372 photos
Joined Jul 2014
Post edited over 3 years ago by BlakeC.

Jun 22, 2016 07:11 |  #7

The shot with the tie is great.
Next time, I wouldn't put someone w a white shirt in front of someone else w a white shirt. lol. still a cool shot tho! :)

Tell grandma tough.
It's an easy fix though.

What annoys me is the fact that she wants edits on EVERY photo. Tells me she is not reasonable. Did you agree to edits before they booked you? If you do this, she may keep demanding small changes. I dealt with a grandma like this once. She wasn't even the paying client! It was a family of 21 and she didn't like some of the smiles (they were all smiling though) and wanted me to swap a bunch of faces to make the smiles better. I did and she kept asking for more. I finally told her no and that she would have to pay. Since then, all of my contracts state "ALL EDITS ARE FINAL - Any additional edits are at the discretion of the photographer and may incur an additional charge"

Blake C
BlakeC-Photography.com (external link)
Follow Me on Facebook (external link) , Instagram (external link), or Google+ (external link)
80D |70D | SL1 - Σ 18-35 1.8 ART, Σ 50-100 1.8 ART, Σ 17-50 2.8, Canon 24 2.8 Pancake, Canon 50 1.8 STM, Canon 10-18 STM, Canon 18-135 STM

huntersdad
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,612 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jun 22, 2016 07:54 |  #8

AnnieMacD wrote in post #18046739 (external link)
If you have Photoshop CC, you can use the new Face-Aware Liquify Tool and could probably even close her mouth in the yawn photo without much effort.

Tried that, looks weird but may give it another go.

Facebook (external link)

huntersdad
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,612 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jun 22, 2016 07:57 |  #9

BlakeC wrote in post #18046741 (external link)
The shot with the tie is great.
Next time, I wouldn't put someone w a white shirt in front of someone else w a white shirt. lol. still a cool shot tho! :)

Tell grandma tough.
It's an easy fix though.

What annoys me is the fact that she wants edits on EVERY photo. Tells me she is not reasonable. Did you agree to edits before they booked you? If you do this, she may keep demanding small changes. I dealt with a grandma like this once. She wasn't even the paying client! It was a family of 21 and she didn't like some of the smiles (they were all smiling though) and wanted me to swap a bunch of faces to make the smiles better. I did and she kept asking for more. I finally told her no and that she would have to pay. Since then, all of my contracts state "ALL EDITS ARE FINAL - Any additional edits are at the discretion of the photographer and may incur an additional charge"

She's asked me to take the best and make one images, so somewhat reasonable. The problem is that the younger kids either aren't looking, pulling ties, yawning, turned around, looking elsewhere, so on... A couple edits were easy, this one is really getting me. I've even gone as far to try and find another image with her face looking reasonable and bring it in. Nothing gives me an image where her face looks normal.

Facebook (external link)

BlakeC
"Dad was a meat cutter"
2,673 posts
Gallery: 372 photos
Joined Jul 2014

Jun 22, 2016 08:32 |  #10

huntersdad wrote in post #18046775 (external link)
She's asked me to take the best and make one images, so somewhat reasonable. The problem is that the younger kids either aren't looking, pulling ties, yawning, turned around, looking elsewhere, so on... A couple edits were easy, this one is really getting me. I've even gone as far to try and find another image with her face looking reasonable and bring it in. Nothing gives me an image where her face looks normal.

that's just the hazards of photographing children. It also makes the photos better. If they want perfectly posed kids, maybe the should have raised the kids to be obedient emotionless drones....lol
I always warn them that they may end up with the kids doing odd things. It's just how kids are.

Blake C
BlakeC-Photography.com (external link)
Follow Me on Facebook (external link) , Instagram (external link), or Google+ (external link)
80D |70D | SL1 - Σ 18-35 1.8 ART, Σ 50-100 1.8 ART, Σ 17-50 2.8, Canon 24 2.8 Pancake, Canon 50 1.8 STM, Canon 10-18 STM, Canon 18-135 STM

Merlin_AZ
869 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jun 22, 2016 10:14 as a reply to  @ huntersdad's post |  #11

I made a selection of just her head, using a mask to hide the rest.
I lowered the opacity a little to help see how to adjust the size and position so it looked a little better, then returned it to normal.

rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
22,242 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2012

Jun 22, 2016 13:55 |  #12

It's a piece of cake. Just line up the two faces on two layers and erase the face that you don't want.

HOSTED PHOTO

Mark

D ­ Thompson
Goldmember
3,847 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jun 22, 2016 15:21 |  #13

My version. Lined up both layers. Layer with girl yawning on bottom, not yawning on top, masked top layer to reveal no yawn. Cropped slightly.

HOSTED PHOTO

Dennis
Canon 5D 20D
I have not yet begun to procrastinate!

sponsored links

2,545 views & 12 likes for this thread
Need Help with an Edit
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.