Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 17 Jun 2016 (Friday) 15:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Bowens Gemini 500r questions

Milutiche
819 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Jun 17, 2016 15:13 |  #1

I picked up a set of these lights a while back and I've only ever used them hard wired via a hot shoe cord to my 6d, what do I need to set them up wireless? and what kind of lighting meter should I buy?

Thanks

www.actionimages.net.n​z
Gear List
Sports Photos on Facebook (external link)
Sports Photos on Instagram (external link)

sponsored links
Alveric
Goldmember
4,590 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jan 2011
Post edited over 2 years ago by Alveric.

Jun 17, 2016 15:40 |  #2

Bowens has its own radio triggers: http://www.bowensusa.c​om/pulsar-tx.html (external link)

Usually, it's best to use the manufacturer's own radio transceivers as you can dial in power values from the camera position: any other radio triggers will require you to walk up to the light and turn the dial to make adjustments.

For lightmeters, you can't go wrong with the Sekonic L-758DR which comes already with a PocketWizard-compatible radio trigger. If you, however, won't use PocketWizards but the Pulsar or any other radio triggers, you'll have to trigger your lights manually for metering. A bit of a hassle, but nothing you can't get used to.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

Milutiche
THREAD ­ STARTER
819 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jun 17, 2016 15:46 as a reply to  @ Alveric's post |  #3

Cheers Alveric, with the bowens pulsar trigger it appears I would also need the appropriate receiver unit for at least on one of my lights. I guess the other option is to use a small speedlight?

www.actionimages.net.n​z
Gear List

Alveric
Goldmember
4,590 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jan 2011
Post edited over 2 years ago by Alveric.

Jun 17, 2016 16:04 |  #4

You can use a flashgun at minimum power aimed carefully so that its light does not illuminate your subject or scene to trigger the monolights by means of their optical sensor, yes. I've used this arrangement, when I didn't have the cables for my PocketWizards yet. There's nothing like having the right implements, though; and if you're taking them outside in bright daylight, the optical triggers might not work. (I don't have these lights, so I can't tell for certain).

Additionally, you can use a PC cable if your camera has the port and if the monolights came with one, and if you don't have to be more than 5 metres away from one of the lights.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

mmmfotografie
hanging up-side-down in a cave
2,114 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Jun 18, 2016 04:50 |  #5

Also some more info in this thread:

https://photography-on-the.net …showthread.php?​p=17805756

Milutiche
THREAD ­ STARTER
819 posts
Joined Jul 2010
Post edited over 2 years ago by Milutiche.

Jun 20, 2016 13:39 |  #6

I don't use my studio lighting all that often but it would be nice to have less cords laying around, are there any aftermarket triggers that you'd recommend? I can see various options on a specific Chinese website starting at $10 obviously you get what you pay for but I have had reasonably good experience with other Chinese knock offs

edit: To use the Yongnuo YN560-TX to trigger my Bowens lights, I'm guessing I'd still need the wireless receiver cards?

www.actionimages.net.n​z
Gear List

mmmfotografie
hanging up-side-down in a cave
2,114 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Jun 20, 2016 14:13 as a reply to  @ Milutiche's post |  #7

You can use the most dimple trigger for that flash. You can use this type op sets:

https://www.fasttech.c​om …-433mhz-16-channel-studio (external link)

You need one set and the second flash have to be set yo slave to trigger on the same time.

Stan_Fox
121 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jun 22, 2016 06:37 |  #8

You can purchase the receiver cards for the lights or run the Pulsar transceivers via cord on each head. The best part about having individual triggers on each head, is that you can operate them one at a time while metering (start with your main light to establish exposure, then add additional lights one at a time).
The high end Sekonic is very nice, but most photographers don't ever use them to their potential, so I would recommend finding a used Sekonic 358. They are very reliable, waterproof, and easy to use. If you go with Pocket Wizards, the 358 accepts a trigger card. If not, you can either trigger your lights with another transceiver manually or run a small cord to the meter and set the meter for corded firing.
There are literally hundreds of options, but I have found the old school Pulsars to be very reliable and you can use them with any camera (as long as it either has a hotshoe or a pc terminal).
Good luck!

Chief Bottle Washer
www.foxworthystudios.c​om (external link)
www.fromthefox.wordpre​ss.com (external link)
"A life lived in fear is a life half lived" - Strictly Ballroom

Milutiche
THREAD ­ STARTER
819 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jun 22, 2016 13:35 as a reply to  @ Stan_Fox's post |  #9

Thanks Stan, I've ordered myself this (external link), I'm not ready to invest any serious cash into this as I very rarely use my lighting

www.actionimages.net.n​z
Gear List

sponsored links

2,514 views & 0 likes for this thread
Bowens Gemini 500r questions
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.