Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 15 Jun 2016 (Wednesday) 07:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Emily with sunglasses

this thread is locked
rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
22,242 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2012

Jun 24, 2016 10:45 |  #31

I tried to liven it up a bit, didn't straighten the glasses though.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Mark

sponsored links
Jeff_56
THREAD ­ STARTER
285 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Jan 2013

Jun 24, 2016 12:48 as a reply to  @ rrblint's post |  #32
bannedPermanent ban

The hair looks about right but the lips and the skin are too red. I ran into the same issue which is where I got onto the track of trying to brighten the hair without messing up everything else. It's a tough one to get right. I wish the light had been better when i shot it. Maybe I'll try to get the same pose with good light but as we all know that's sometimes like trying to catch lightning in a bottle. It's hard to do.

PJmak
697 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Jun 24, 2016 13:05 |  #33

Where do you draw the line between pictures\snapshots and creative art of photography is what I always wonder on this forum.

Viewbug (external link)

PineBomb
I have many notable flaws
2,470 posts
Gallery: 92 photos
Joined Apr 2014

Jun 24, 2016 13:13 |  #34

PJmak wrote in post #18048941 (external link)
Where do you draw the line between pictures\snapshots and creative art of photography is what I always wonder on this forum.

There are no rules. It's a wild west where every individual lives and dies by his or her own code.

-Matt
Website (external link) | flickr (external link) | instagram (external link) | street portrait project on instagram (external link)

Jeff_56
THREAD ­ STARTER
285 posts
Joined Jan 2013
Post edited over 3 years ago by Jeff_56. (3 edits in all)

Jun 24, 2016 13:23 as a reply to  @ PJmak's post |  #35
bannedPermanent ban

Where do you draw the line between pictures\snapshots and creative art of photography

I don't see that there's any real standard for such a thing. According to the home page the board is about digital photography. Not art. Art is a very subjective thing anyway. A photo of someone's feet is one man's idea of art. Others are going to think it's just a photo of feet.

My daughter took a photography class at Ohio St.. They wanted nothing but in your face political statements pretending to be art. The more vulgar the better. My daughter, accustomed to making A's in every class, went to an art festival and took shots of all sorts of regional art work. Since it was a PC protected group she was given an A for her effort and she didn't have to resort to photos of people sitting on the john. That's not art. It's garbage IMO. So clearly my idea of "art" was far different than her "professor" (as in professing a particular point of view rather than being a teacher).

Those that find fault with what others post need to find a new hobby IMO. They should post their own work and not be a critic of what others choose to post. The board also says it's a friendly place. Finding fault with "why someone posted something" is hardly being friendly. It's being brash and abrasive. Just my opinion of course.

I only answered because you asked politely. You probably don't want to instigate too many conversations that can easily turn into arguments. That's not why I'm here and I think most people feel the same.

It's a wild west where every individual lives and dies by his or her own code.

Exactly.

flowrider
Goldmember
3,585 posts
Gallery: 124 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Dec 2009
Post edited over 3 years ago by flowrider.

Jun 24, 2016 13:46 |  #36

AD Campbell wrote in post #18048654 (external link)
Would you like me to repeat myself or clarify? I'll assume you'd prefer the latter.

Of your 3000+ posts, you only have 20 images in your gallery and most of your posts (that I've seen) appear to be snarky nitpicking of other peoples photos without demonstrating that you can do any better. I just assumed trolling is your thing.

Funny I don't mind when he nitpicks. Hard criticism is how you get better not by blowing sunshine. I understand this photo was just a snapshot and the OP is trying to make it better. But in reality we look at the photo for what it is and not for the sentimental value or for what experience the post has.

And I hate to post it out ADCampbell but you've been here since 2013 and have no photos in your gallery. I've trolled your Flickr though... Nice stuff! Hardish one light stuff.

~Steve~
~ My Website-stevelowephoto.com (external link) ~ Facebook (external link)
Feedback Feedback Feedback

Jeff_56
THREAD ­ STARTER
285 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Jun 24, 2016 16:05 as a reply to  @ flowrider's post |  #37
bannedPermanent ban

Nitpicking is one thing. Questioning why a photo was posted is another. I guess it didn't occur to him that I was trying to make it better and wanted help doing it. It's not up to him to decide what gets posted. Those are troll words any way you look at it and I can't believe we're still beating this dead horse. I'm about done with this "friendly" board if it's going to be like this. Trust me I could question the validity of a whole bunch of stuff here if I felt like it. Like badly backlit photos of people kissing with lots of noise involved.

This thread should be shut down before the effects of trolling become even worse.

ericvphoto
282 posts
Gallery: 145 photos
Joined May 2015

Jun 26, 2016 11:11 |  #38

What I find the most interesting here is that the OP states he has taken way better photos and "knows how to work the light" yet this photo says completely otherwise. Too be brutally honest this is a complete snap shot and yes it looks like it was taken with a phone and cropped in. Shooting with a DSLR/mirrorless/medium format/or even film, doesn't mean it's going to be a great photo.

I agree if it has sentimental value, cool. However, it seems like you were fishing for compliments and didn't get any.

Call me a troll, I don't care. Telling it like it is.

flickr (external link)
| Sony A7II | Sony/Zeiss 35mm 1.4 ZA | Zeiss Batis 85mm 1.8 |

Jeff_56
THREAD ­ STARTER
285 posts
Joined Jan 2013
Post edited over 3 years ago by Jeff_56. (3 edits in all)

Jun 26, 2016 13:31 |  #39
bannedPermanent ban

Fishing for compliments??? BS. I won't call you a troll. There's another word I'm thinking about. Goodbye. Or maybe I should talk about your Ford "Out Of' Focus before I go. Horrible back lighting. A setting that would make any septic tank proud. A front badge that can't even be read. And you want to criticize my work? You want to slam my photo here. I told you what it was. I still think it's a good shot despite your offensive remarks. Your "Ricky Racer" work is nothing to brag about. Did you bother to look at my gallery like I suggested? Of course not. You just want to make yourself feel superior by knocking down others. BTW the words I was thinking about have the initials AH.

But since we're being critical let's look at your work:

IMAGE: http://www.a-framevideo.com/Ford%20out%20of%20Focus.jpg

And no sense responding because I'm leaving the "most friendly photo forum on the net". The a-holes can have it.

saea501
... spilled over a little on the panties
6,705 posts
Gallery: 43 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 26, 2016 14:20 |  #40

Jeff_56 wrote in post #18050489 (external link)
And you want to criticize my work? You want to slam my photo here. I told you what it was. I still think it's a good shot despite your offensive remarks. Your "Ricky Racer" work is nothing to brag about. Did you bother to look at my gallery like I suggested? Of course not. You just want to make yourself feel superior by knocking down others. BTW the words I was thinking about have the initials AH.

You keep telling people to look at your gallery. I just did.

What is your rationale behind telling people to look at your gallery?

Remember what the DorMouse said.....feed your head.
Bob
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/147975282@N06 (external link)

PineBomb
I have many notable flaws
2,470 posts
Gallery: 92 photos
Joined Apr 2014

Jun 26, 2016 14:24 |  #41

Jeff_56 wrote in post #18050489 (external link)
And no sense responding because I'm leaving the "most friendly photo forum on the net". The a-holes can have it.

Jeff, BTW, it's against forum rules to post other peoples' photos, whether or not your responding childishly.

-Matt
Website (external link) | flickr (external link) | instagram (external link) | street portrait project on instagram (external link)

ericvphoto
282 posts
Gallery: 145 photos
Joined May 2015

Jun 26, 2016 15:01 |  #42

:lol: Oh boy. I was expecting you to be upset, but wow you really got upset. Thanks for posting my photo. More exposure for my work even though you think it's bad and "out of focus" although it's 100% in focus and not cropped in, unlike your photo. The guy I shot that for loves the entire set so that's all that matters to me. Feel free to check out the rest of my work though, both on my gallery photos here, my Flickr AND my personal website.

If you can't take the constructive criticism then I highly recommend you stop being a photographer. Or at least posting on a PHOTOGRAPHY forum looking for advice and getting mad about it. Your photo sucks in a technical way. Like I said, it has sentimental value to you. That's great, we all have those photos. Not all of us post them on a photography forum and proceed to get butt hurt when everyone agrees it's a bad photo.

Also, I have looked at your gallery along with your website. Your gallery here is a bunch of snap shots. Cool, maybe you're just learning. Nothing wrong with that. Your website is literally a "welcome page" with one snap shot cover photo and a clickable link to an email to contact you. Not really sure what you want us to look at.

But back to your original post. A few people offered advice on how to better the photo, which you shot down because apparently you did it correctly the first time. How can you expect to better yourself as a photographer if you can't even take a single piece of advice from anyone?

flickr (external link)
| Sony A7II | Sony/Zeiss 35mm 1.4 ZA | Zeiss Batis 85mm 1.8 |

sponsored links

9,049 views & 5 likes for this thread
Emily with sunglasses
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.