Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 19 Jun 2016 (Sunday) 14:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

old school film

Ltdave
Goldmember
2,629 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Jun 19, 2016 14:38 |  #1

every now and again i get thinking ill pull out the Canon F-1n and FD lenses or my YashicaMat 124G and play around. the whole "physical" results i can hold, and the nostalgia aspect of it...

ill peruse fleabay for film and today i just noticed NEW Kodak roll film with expiration dates of this year through 2020...

i thought Kodak was fully out of the business. are they still making film or did it get outsourced to someone?

sponsored links
MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
12,789 posts
Gallery: 1179 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Feb 2013

Jun 19, 2016 15:12 |  #2

Heya,

Kodak still produces film and ink and stuff. They died in the camera sector and stuff, but, they still exist.

I find FD glass is still too costly, with the mirrorless crowd making those old prices go up due to being able to adapt.

I like old Pentax stuff and M42 mount lenses. Universally adaptable to your current system or with it's original system. I have an old full frame Pentax. You just load film and have it developed (or do that yourself if you're into it).

Film is still alive. There's still a lot of people, young and old to the game, that use film. It's not just nostalgia, it's still a living medium.

It's very popular for photographers to shoot medium format film for example.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

Ltdave
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,629 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jun 19, 2016 16:24 as a reply to  @ MalVeauX's post |  #3

one thing that i think most 'togs dont discuss is the gigantic amount of mass, digital possesses...

my 5d3 and 70-200 f2.8 weighs as much as my F-1n, AE-1, 24 f2, 35 f2, 50 f1.8, 85 f1.8 and 200 f2.8. thats not nostalgia but more of a healthy back concern!

i used to do all my own processing. i had access to 2 fully set up darkrooms and our lab in the Air Force and kind of miss all of that. not that i have time for it anymore even if i DID have a darkroom...

glad Kodak is still in the game at least partially...

Luckless
Goldmember
3,061 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jun 19, 2016 16:27 |  #4

Yes, Kodak went through bankruptcy a few years ago, chopped a bunch of stuff up to sell off, and made a complete exit from a few markets. However they are still producing film and related products, and dealing with commercial services.

If you want to work with black and white film then dealing with chemistry is easy enough at home. A changing bag, paterson daylight tank, and a simply setup for chemistry is all you need to shoot and develop for yourself. You can work with colour film, but it is a little more tricky and needs tighter quality control to look decent.

Also if you do want to shoot film these days, then I would suggest considering medium format or larger. The added cost in film isn't that much in medium format, especially if you're shooting a 6x4.5.

I've been shooting a bit of film after getting an old TLR camera a few months ago, and have been enjoying working with it and what it produces. Settling for scanning for the time being, but I'm storing the negatives and will have a body for material to work with when I can get a small darkroom setup going.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

Ltdave
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,629 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jun 19, 2016 17:53 |  #5

Luckless wrote in post #18044228 (external link)
...If you want to work with black and white film then dealing with chemistry is easy enough at home. A changing bag, paterson daylight tank, and a simply setup for chemistry is all you need to shoot and develop for yourself. You can work with colour film, but it is a little more tricky and needs tighter quality control to look decent...

yeah, i worked for a newspaper, was my college newspaper editor, worked in a custom lab and did photography in the Air Force for better part of 8 years. the chemistry is a piece of cake. setting up a proper darkroom (with plumbing) is a bit harder...

Luckless
Goldmember
3,061 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jun 19, 2016 18:10 |  #6

Well I just meant that as a reminder that you don't really need a complete and dedicated darkroom to enjoy working with film. Plenty of people do lovely work in their bathrooms, and rig up semi-portable setups for their enlarger and such, or they just skip wet prints and darkroom entirely for changing bags, daylight tanks, and scanned negatives.

Archive your negatives while you shoot, and set aside your very best to print manually once you can get into a space, even if only on a temporary basis every now and then.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

jay125
back in 7th grade
10,525 posts
Gallery: 98 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 24, 2016 17:12 |  #7

I shot film years ago, using an A1. Had my own b&w darkroom, developed, printed. It was fun. Life got in the way and 30 years later, I just picked up Mamiya RB67 medium format. Film is very available, as is processing. I am thinking about putting together a b&w darkroom again. It really takes me back to the basics, and I have to pay attention to every part of the process. In the end, it's extremely rewarding. I love it!

feedback

sjones
Goldmember
2,208 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jun 24, 2016 20:55 |  #8

Yep, all I currently use is Kodak Tri-X, and there a still a few other brands out there as well. I picked up a Nikon 35mm scanner about a year before their discontinuation, and fortunately, it's still kicking. Sometimes I develop the negatives on my own, sometimes send them out. I have never made darkroom prints (switched from digital to film), but that will be my next venture.

I love shooting film, all aspects of the process, and I'll keep doing so as long as the materials are still available.

Summer 2017 (external link)
Eggleston's photography is superb. Deal with it!
It's the Photographer (external link) | God Loves Photoshop (external link)

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,763 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 25, 2016 00:24 |  #9

sjones wrote in post #18049224 (external link)
Yep, all I currently use is Kodak Tri-X, and there a still a few other brands out there as well. I picked up a Nikon 35mm scanner about a year before their discontinuation, and fortunately, it's still kicking. Sometimes I develop the negatives on my own, sometimes send them out. I have never made darkroom prints (switched from digital to film), but that will be my next venture.

I love shooting film, all aspects of the process, and I'll keep doing so as long as the materials are still available.

You know you really should try Ilford HP5+ if you are using Tri-X. Although the Kodak film is the one more people seem to know about, personally I always liked the Ilford emulsions better. Saying that, I was shooting with them back in the 70's and 80's, and both films have been reformulated since then. Still I would suggest trying the HP5, and also the ISO125 FP4+, which I think was the nicest general use black and white film you could buy. It's a shame Kodak dropped Plus-X, having two great general use films avilable usually meant you could find one or the other if necessary.

I guess I might have been a little biased, growing up I lived less than 10 miles from Ilford, so they were a local company. I also loved their Cibachrome colour print from transparancy paper, printing from Kodachrome 25 and 64 slides. Those were the days, although I really would not want to go back to them for the bulk of my photographic work.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

Obey
327 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 25, 2016 01:48 |  #10

Delta 3200 is the best b&w out there, IMO

Canon 6D & 80D | 135 f2 L | 24-105 f4 L | 70-200 f4 L | Sigma 35 1.4 ART | Canon 85 1.8
Canon EOS 3 + Mamiya RZ67 film
BradBphoto (external link)| Instagram (external link)

thc1979
519 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Jun 25, 2016 05:47 |  #11

Ltdave wrote in post #18044150 (external link)
every now and again i get thinking ill pull out the Canon F-1n and FD lenses or my YashicaMat 124G and play around. the whole "physical" results i can hold, and the nostalgia aspect of it...

ill peruse fleabay for film and today i just noticed NEW Kodak roll film with expiration dates of this year through 2020...

i thought Kodak was fully out of the business. are they still making film or did it get outsourced to someone?

Plenty of new film available and plenty of people still using it, in all formats. I just bought a 100ft roll of Delta 100 this week!

sjones
Goldmember
2,208 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jun 25, 2016 12:42 |  #12

BigAl007 wrote in post #18049326 (external link)
You know you really should try Ilford HP5+ if you are using Tri-X. Although the Kodak film is the one more people seem to know about, personally I always liked the Ilford emulsions better. Saying that, I was shooting with them back in the 70's and 80's, and both films have been reformulated since then. Still I would suggest trying the HP5, and also the ISO125 FP4+, which I think was the nicest general use black and white film you could buy. It's a shame Kodak dropped Plus-X, having two great general use films avilable usually meant you could find one or the other if necessary.

I guess I might have been a little biased, growing up I lived less than 10 miles from Ilford, so they were a local company. I also loved their Cibachrome colour print from transparancy paper, printing from Kodachrome 25 and 64 slides. Those were the days, although I really would not want to go back to them for the bulk of my photographic work.

Alan

When I switched to film in 2008, I lived a 20-minute walk from the Yodobashi camera ‘complex’ in Tokyo’s Shinjuku district. One of their five stores was dedicated to film, so I had the good fortune to try out a variety, including the Ilford HP and Delta films.

The HP5 had a more fluid quality than Tri-X, but ultimately, there was just a little more crude warmth to the Tri-X that I preferred. It’s all pretty subtle, and certainly, if Tri-X goes under, I’ll look back at Ilford.

Although it’s been a few years, I’ll still use Delta 3200 for night shots.

Summer 2017 (external link)
Eggleston's photography is superb. Deal with it!
It's the Photographer (external link) | God Loves Photoshop (external link)

thc1979
519 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Jun 25, 2016 14:05 |  #13

sjones wrote in post #18049634 (external link)
When I switched to film in 2008, I lived a 20-minute walk from the Yodobashi camera ‘complex’ in Tokyo’s Shinjuku district. One of their five stores was dedicated to film, so I had the good fortune to try out a variety, including the Ilford HP and Delta films.

The HP5 had a more fluid quality than Tri-X, but ultimately, there was just a little more crude warmth to the Tri-X that I preferred. It’s all pretty subtle, and certainly, if Tri-X goes under, I’ll look back at Ilford.

Although it’s been a few years, I’ll still use Delta 3200 for night shots.

Ive pushed Tri-X to 3200 with good results

Canonuser123
590 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Joined Dec 2014

Jun 25, 2016 17:29 |  #14

If I ever decided to shoot film it would be with 6x7 or 4x5 and slide film, I used to develop both negative C41 and slide film E6 and I don't really miss playing with the chemicals., Printing large quantities of photos got to be a pain even though I had a Jobo colorstar for quickly dialing in the enlarger and used drums for printing, my biggest problem was constantly washing and drying the drums.

Scottboarding
515 posts
Gallery: 110 photos
Joined May 2016

Jul 02, 2016 10:00 |  #15

I'm 18, got my first camera at 15 (T3i) but I really enjoy shooting film. I started off with my grandfather's Rebel 2000 and Fuji Superia 400 and had a pretty good time, though it really didn't change much for my photography. A few months ago I bought a Pentax Spotmatic, a couple M42 lenses and started shooting Ektar 100; that's when I really fell in love. I took a small break because Walgreens (the only place I had access to) kept screwing up my film. One roll looked great, but the next two rolls looked terrible. I got a car about a month ago so now I've been driving down to an actual lab and the photos look so good. I shot my first two rolls of B&W (HP5+) and now I'm not even shooting digital much at all. There's something so special about black and white film that I just can't get from my 7D.

Gear: https://photography-on-the.net …showthread.php?​p=18556308
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com​/photos/130385961@N05/ (external link)

sponsored links

3,276 views & 3 likes for this thread
old school film
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.