Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Architecture, Real-Estate & Buildings 
Thread started 15 Jul 2010 (Thursday) 14:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

A thread for real estate, architectural, and interior design photography

digirebelva
Goldmember
3,973 posts
Gallery: 367 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Jun 17, 2016 21:17 |  #8206

IMAGE: https://c7.staticflickr.com/8/7284/27638454102_bea1082e4e_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/J7ji​uJ  (external link) Church Hill Bedroom (external link) by Tim Wilson (external link), on Flickr

EOS 6d, 7dMKII, Tokina 11-16, Tokina 16-28, Sigma 70-200mm F/2.8, Sigma 17-50 F/2.8, Canon 24-70mm F/2.8L, Canon 70-200 F/2.8L, Mixed Speedlites and other stuff.

When it ceases to be fun, it will be time to walk away
Website (external link) | Fine Art America (external link)

sponsored links
Hand_of_Cod
325 posts
Joined May 2009

Jun 19, 2016 18:40 |  #8207

Copenhagen Opera House

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/Denmark/i-pHwVzDw/0/X2/DSC_8515-X2.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://photos.smugmug​.com …/DSC_8515-X2.jpg&lb=1&s=A  (external link) on Smugmug

https://andrewferris.s​mugmug.com/ (external link)

tytlyf
129 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2015
Post edited over 3 years ago by tytlyf.

Jun 21, 2016 09:18 |  #8208

1 exposure, flash bouned off ceiling.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Canon 6D - 16-35 F/4L IS - 24-105 F/4L IS
www.FLREphotography.co​m
flickr (external link)

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,081 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Jun 22, 2016 18:20 |  #8209

cccc wrote in post #18042064 (external link)
Would you move in? Shot some spec homes for some builders today.

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by cccc in
./showthread.php?p=180​42064&i=i35560870
forum: Architecture, Real-Estate & Buildings

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by cccc in
./showthread.php?p=180​42064&i=i1647544

Unless the client demanded it, I'm not sure I would have shot that angle. I'm sure you have others as well.
The lighting looks weird on the white cabinets. The scene through the windows looks like pictures pasted on the window panes to me.

Also, lots of glare from the windows on the wood.

The only time I've shot spec houses for the developer, they were models and fully staged.

Empty rooms look like empty rooms. :-)

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

cccc
Goldmember
2,017 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 23, 2016 01:47 as a reply to  @ dmward's post |  #8210

Thanks for your candor, David. I appreciate your insight.

The client wanted a "straight on" shot, and they wanted the windows to show the greenbelt behind the homes, so I was pretty limited in my execution. I agree with your comments, do you think the cabinets would look better without the window reflections?

tytlyf
129 posts
Joined Jan 2015
Post edited over 3 years ago by tytlyf. (2 edits in all)

Jun 23, 2016 19:21 |  #8211

1 exposure, flash boc.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

www.FLREphotography.co​m
flickr (external link)

seaLere
467 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Mar 2013

Jun 23, 2016 19:25 |  #8212

cccc wrote in post #18047566 (external link)
Thanks for your candor, David. I appreciate your insight.

The client wanted a "straight on" shot, and they wanted the windows to show the greenbelt behind the homes, so I was pretty limited in my execution. I agree with your comments, do you think the cabinets would look better without the window reflections?

Did you use your rovelight or was this an exposure blend?

Sony A7RIII with Canon glass
- www.codylere.com (external link) - Architectural and Interiors Photography

cccc
Goldmember
2,017 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 23, 2016 19:34 as a reply to  @ seaLere's post |  #8213

I think it was 2 or 3 rovelight shots blended together.

seaLere
467 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Mar 2013

Jun 23, 2016 19:43 |  #8214

cccc wrote in post #18048352 (external link)
I think it was 2 or 3 rovelight shots blended together.

Where are you pointing them exactly? Love how natural it looks.

Sony A7RIII with Canon glass
- www.codylere.com (external link) - Architectural and Interiors Photography

LoneRider
Goldmember
2,322 posts
Gallery: 442 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010
Post edited over 3 years ago by LoneRider. (3 edits in all)

Jun 25, 2016 19:04 |  #8215

Looking for some input on a body dedicated to Real Estate work...

Background- a little over a year ago I started shooting listings for a friend using my 6D and 16-35mm F4L and Samyang 14mm lenses. Since then, I have started to get more and more business, now working with 7-8 agents pretty regularly and doing about 6-8 shoots a month. Doing so well that I am now "Legit" with a business license and am going to have to claim the income that is being generated. Not a bad situation to be in and running as a Schedule C business allows much more deductibility of expenses and equipment over "hobby income"

Most of the market segment I work with is smaller "middle-class" homes with small to medium size rooms. Looking to get a little wider, I recently picked up the Sigma 8-16mm lens and switched to using my 7D2 body. Getting good results with it, the only complaint I have is that the 6D in camera HDR renders much more realistic shots than the in body 7D2 HDR.

Regardless of which body I use, I pretty regularly long for the articulated screen of the 60D/70D/80D or consumer bodies while setting up in tight corners of bedrooms or small bathrooms. For that reason, along with the much higher shutter wear I have been putting on my other bodies, I am considering a dedicated Realty work body to provide the articulated screen as well as reduce wear and tear on my 6D/7D2 bodies.

I am torn between 70D, 80D, and the T6s. All offer the articulated screen, the 70D/80D have a higher build quality and weather sealing (not really important for interior work) and some better specs over the T6s such as AF system, flash sync, and FPS (also not issues in this application).

T6s is the lowest price option and smallest size. Higher resolution, newer technology and lowest price. Seems like a no brainer to go with the T6s, which also has an edge up from what I understand in the video features which while I am not doing (yet), I have had a couple agents ask about and may look into in the future. Of course if I do go into video, I am thinking an Osmo may be the better route as it is stabilized.

The downsides I am hung on are that a 70D or 80D use the same batteries as the 6D and 7D2 - with a T6s I would need to grab a couple extra batteries and then keep track of yet another charger. Also shutter count - on any given job I am taking 50-60 shutter trips, making about 5000 frames a year. Far more than I shoot recreationally, so maybe the higher build quality of the 70D/80D should be taken into account. Of course even at 6k a year, the T6s should be good for 10 years...

Realistically, I imagine the final choice will be between the 70D and T6s to keep cost down. This absolutely a "want" and not a "need" purchase, so budget plays a bigger part than it might otherwise. 70D and 6Ts are real close price wise and given that I seem to be leaning towards the newer-tech T6s. In fact the relative age of the 70D is why I am even including the 80D in the discussion.

I know some folks will suggest to just stick with what I have if cost is an issue. Cost is not a major concern, the money is there and whatever way I go I have a few hundred in BH rewards and gift cards to soften the blow.

Is anyone using the T6s or both "T" line cameras for their Real Estate work? Any limitation or concerns I should beware of?

I appreciate any input provided.

A few of my recent shots...

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/8/7198/27204140864_276d01ff99_b.jpg

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/8/7112/27204142104_05efc38f1c_b.jpg

IMAGE: https://c3.staticflickr.com/8/7457/27204143034_ccbe5b9b40_b.jpg

IMAGE: https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7401/27127010363_93b9df4aea_b.jpg

IMAGE: https://c8.staticflickr.com/8/7430/27590132735_5863b6f53f_b.jpg

IMAGE: https://c6.staticflickr.com/8/7378/27590139885_1610f5694a_b.jpg

IMAGE: https://c8.staticflickr.com/8/7263/27490971671_7387046448_b.jpg

Wayne...
~I don't suffer from gear ADD, I embrace and enjoy it...~
Canon EOS R, Panasonic G9, GX9, and a bunch of glass...

rgs
Goldmember
2,328 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Joined Jun 2007
Post edited over 3 years ago by rgs.

Jun 25, 2016 20:20 as a reply to  @ LoneRider's post |  #8216

Lone Rider, as to the flippy screen there is a more useful approach - an app called DSLR Controller (external link) that turns you Android phone or tablet into a remote display for your camera. The display is better and bigger than the one on the camera and has touch screen focus. Just mount the phone to your tripod. It's very fast and works really well for RE photography. And it also impresses your clients. Here's a quote with links from another post of mine on this subject and some photos of the setup in action.

rgs wrote in post #17737982 (external link)
You can put the focus point anywhere on the (remote) screen just by touch, hold, and drag. It will probably focus automatically but if you touch the focus box on the screen, it will either focus or confirm focus for you. There really is no need to focus manually and it's more accurate than manual focus with a camera that wasn't really designed for it and doesn't have the kind of focus aids that older manual focus cameras had. And the screen is a lot larger and more detailed than the little flippy screen.

The clip I use is call an iKlip Expand Mini. Here's a link (external link). There is also a larger version for tablets from the same company. I got mine from B&H but had to look in the musical instrument section because it's actually marketed for mic stands instead of tripods. Here's a shot of my setup.
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by rgs in
./showthread.php?p=177​37982&i=i84672132

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by rgs in
./showthread.php?p=177​37982&i=i225296514

Since making that post, Tether Tools has released a similar product to the iKlip.

Canon 7d MkII, Canon 50D, Pentax 67, Canon 30D, Baker Custom 4x5, Canon EF 24-104mm f4, Canon EF 100mm f2.8 Macro, Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC

The Singular Image (external link)Richard Smith Photography (external link)
Richard Smith Real Estate Photography (external link)500PX (external link)
Fine Art America (external link)

LoneRider
Goldmember
2,322 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 25, 2016 20:52 as a reply to  @ rgs's post |  #8217

@rgs

Hmm, I looked at it but I am all Apple products and not willing to Jailbreak anything. Also would rather carry less gear and have less set-up/adjustments etc. instead of more.

I strive to be in and out in 90 minutes or less - as they say, "Time is Money" .

Then of course there is worst drawback about that option - I don 't get a new camera ;-)a

Wayne...

rgs
Goldmember
2,328 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Jun 25, 2016 21:40 |  #8218

LoneRider wrote in post #18049989 (external link)
@rgs

Hmm, I looked at it but I am all Apple products and not willing to Jailbreak anything. Also would rather carry less gear and have less set-up/adjustments etc. instead of more.

I strive to be in and out in 90 minutes or less - as they say, "Time is Money" .

Then of course there is worst drawback about that option - I don 't get a new camera ;-)a

The DSLR setup actually takes fewer adjustments than the camera alone and works very quickly. I'm usually out in about 1 hour and rarely more than 1 1/2 hours. Framing and focus on the remote is very fast and, since it's all attached to the tripod, you move to a new setup very quickly. When I enter a house, I set the camera at about mid-chest height and level it, then I just move through the house and rarely change that set-up. The kitchen frequently requires and adjustment but that's about all. This helps me move fast and also keeps the set looking consistent throughout the house.

I think the framing on the images you posted is quite good. But I also think the in-camera HDR is limiting you. Opinion following - take it for what it's worth to you. I do not think HDR should have that flat HDR look, it should look convincingly like a really good single exposure. It looks to me like your in-camera HDR is delivering HDR looking results. I also don't think HDR is necessary outside. Just expose to the right without blowing out highlights and bring up the darker tones to a realistic level with the "shadows" slider or the adjustment brush.

I shoot a 7 shot, 1 stop bracket of each setup. In post, I select the ones (usually 4 or 5) that I actually want to blend with Lightroom's HDR tool. This gives me much more control over the quality of my HDR plus the option of post HDR conversion editing.

As to the camera, the 6D is VERY good but the 7DII has functionality that I would miss personally. I would find no fault in 6D images, but I would prefer a 5DIII to work with because it works just like my 7DII but with a FF sensor.

Again, take all these comments for what they are worth to you.

Canon 7d MkII, Canon 50D, Pentax 67, Canon 30D, Baker Custom 4x5, Canon EF 24-104mm f4, Canon EF 100mm f2.8 Macro, Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC

The Singular Image (external link)Richard Smith Photography (external link)
Richard Smith Real Estate Photography (external link)500PX (external link)
Fine Art America (external link)

tytlyf
129 posts
Joined Jan 2015

Jun 25, 2016 22:41 |  #8219

LoneRider wrote in post #18049989 (external link)
@rgs

The 6D is one of the best RE bodies out there. I don't understand why you want to go wider than a 16mm. If you truly do, I would keep the 6D body and go to a Tamron 15-30mm. I understand some agents like the exaggerated look on the size of rooms, but ideally you wouldn't want to shoot wider than 16mm.

IMO. The flip out screen is very useful and I like it, but that's a scenario that you shouldn't need too often. Maybe once every couple properties. But I can see the advantages of saving the space behind the camera by placing it as close to the wall with the screen out. Hopefully the 6D2 will have a flip out screen as it is very useful.

www.FLREphotography.co​m
flickr (external link)

LoneRider
Goldmember
2,322 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 26, 2016 00:32 |  #8220

Actually, only the first shot was an HDR (kitchen/dining with the windows), and it was with the 7D2. The others are all single exposure (with flash on the interiors usually around f/8, 1/60 sec iso 400) to try and get a balance of windows and indoor with a single exposure. Some have more tweaking of shadows/highlights in post than others.

I know some of them have been worked past a "natural" look, but the norm in my area and most agents request the brighter almost over exposed look (maybe to overcome the dreary Seattle area weather?).

I do really like the electronic level of the 7D2, immediately noticed that help speed things up over the 6D.

Hmm, maybe I should look into a cheap Android tablet and give it a try.

I appreciate all input and this thread has already helped me immensely in taking on this endeavor, no advice is bad - we learn by trying new things

Wayne...

sponsored links

2,058,460 views & 1,711 likes for this thread
A thread for real estate, architectural, and interior design photography
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Architecture, Real-Estate & Buildings 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.