Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup 
Thread started 25 Jun 2016 (Saturday) 21:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What would I need to share photos instantly with large groups of people?

ready2go
666 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Jun 25, 2016 21:11 |  #1

Example - I'm shooting an important event where guests want photos right away without the post processing. I want to be able to offload all my jpgs from slr to some sort of wifi enabled hdd right away. Then, I want the guests to be able to connect to my wifi device and download whatever photos they want asap. An example of a situation could be a baby announcement where the parents don't want crappy cellphone photos to be posted up first by their guests. Anyone have ideas to make the whole process as simple as 123?

6D, 70D, Pancake lens, Nifty Fifty, Sigma 50 Art, Canon 135LL IS, YN560 III

sponsored links
aphphoto
448 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jun 25, 2016 23:13 |  #2

A shared folder on your favorite cloud service - Dropbox or similar. Having multiple people try to connect to a hotspot (what you're basically running by having them connect to any WiFi device you control) is a non-starter especially if we are talking about a large gathering. Also keep in mind WiFi is very short-range. Cloud is everywhere.

who gives a rat crap how much gear you can list?

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,917 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Jun 25, 2016 23:23 |  #3

are you going to cull them at all, or are you willing to let people see/share the pics where cousin Billy is in the background picking his nose?

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

crbinson
614 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Jun 26, 2016 00:31 |  #4

I use my 70D to transfer pics to iPad via WiFi then to upload to Dropbox at b-day parties and other events. Then share the link so they can retrieve any photos I've made available. It is a little cumbersome but works.

My Flickr (external link) | My Gear List

-Duck-
my head is usually in the way
1,723 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2016
Post edited over 4 years ago by -Duck-.

Jun 26, 2016 00:34 |  #5

You are opening up yourself to big problems by giving people access to unsorted, unedited and uncensored images straight out of your camera.

The key difference between a professional photographer and a snapshooter is quality control. You will be giving that priviledge up with what you are proposing. You are also contradicting yourself by your own admission;

...where the (client) doesn't want crappy cellphone photos to be posted up first by their guests...

Yet you'd rather give them access to all your crappy photos?

Before you take offense -- we are all photographers here. We all know not all our images are worthy of seeing the light of day. Remember that your ability as a photographer will be judged on what the client receives. If they have to sift through muck to get to the gems, how's that going to make you look?

I can just hear the conversation behind your back. "You paid how much for this guy to take pictures? Hell, I could have done this for free with my camera."

By giving immediate access to unculled and unprocessed images you are doing nothing more than what Cousin Suzie would take with her P&S camera and upload it to social media. And, no, what you are planning isn't going to curtail or even beat the speed of Uncle Bob with his smart phone. Don't do it. Don't think about it. Don't waste a penny on the idea. Instead, take that energy and put it into delivering images Uncle Bob and Cousin Suzie could NEVER get with their P&S and smart phones.

After all, that's why clients hire a pro.

"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Unitas Photography (external link)Facebook (external link)

ready2go
THREAD ­ STARTER
666 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Jun 26, 2016 06:55 |  #6

aphphoto wrote in post #18050067 (external link)
A shared folder on your favorite cloud service - Dropbox or similar. Having multiple people try to connect to a hotspot (what you're basically running by having them connect to any WiFi device you control) is a non-starter especially if we are talking about a large gathering. Also keep in mind WiFi is very short-range. Cloud is everywhere.

I do that now but was looking for something even faster. For example, take sd card out of camera and then plug into external HD and share from an established wifi HD.

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18050072 (external link)
are you going to cull them at all, or are you willing to let people see/share the pics where cousin Billy is in the background picking his nose?

I would control which photos to share.

crbinson wrote in post #18050096 (external link)
I use my 70D to transfer pics to iPad via WiFi then to upload to Dropbox at b-day parties and other events. Then share the link so they can retrieve any photos I've made available. It is a little cumbersome but works.

A little too much work. Looking to make it even easier

-Duck- wrote in post #18050100 (external link)
You are opening up yourself to big problems by giving people access to unsorted, unedited and uncensored images straight out of your camera.

The key difference between a professional photographer and a snapshooter is quality control. You will be giving that priviledge up with what you are proposing. You are also contradicting yourself by your own admission;

Yet you'd rather give them access to all your crappy photos?

Before you take offense -- we are all photographers here. We all know not all our images are worthy of seeing the light of day. Remember that your ability as a photographer will be judged on what the client receives. If they have to sift through muck to get to the gems, how's that going to make you look?

I can just hear the conversation behind your back. "You paid how much for this guy to take pictures? Hell, I could have done this for free with my camera."

By giving immediate access to unculled and unprocessed images you are doing nothing more than what Cousin Suzie would take with her P&S camera and upload it to social media. And, no, what you are planning isn't going to curtail or even beat the speed of Uncle Bob with his smart phone. Don't do it. Don't think about it. Don't waste a penny on the idea. Instead, take that energy and put it into delivering images Uncle Bob and Cousin Suzie could NEVER get with their P&S and smart phones.

After all, that's why clients hire a pro.

We live in an age where cameras are everywhere and I'm seeing the good and bad of that. Not looking to really give away all the photos. I guess it's the equivalent of a Dame day edit from a wedding videograpgher. Thanks for your feedback tho

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
9,917 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jun 26, 2016 09:44 |  #7

ready2go wrote in post #18050229 (external link)
I would control which photos to share.

I asked because that step usually takes quite a bit of time, which is why the following:

A little too much work. Looking to make it even easier

might not be as cumbersome as you think.

what i'm saying is that if you have to spend the time culling/sorting each image, then the additional step of uploading them is not really not a huge task.

I use wifi on my iPhone to connect to my 6D while at events. I cull and download selected images to my phone and then post them to social media and/or dropbox via their iPhone app, and I can tell you that the upload takes significantly less of my time than the download/cull/sort.

The images downloaded from the camera are medium sized JPG which i find perfect for free sharing because it allows me to retain control of the full res files.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Scott ­ Spellman
203 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Oct 2015

Jun 26, 2016 12:28 |  #8

The simplest and best solution is to swap memory cards with an assistant with a laptop every 15 or 30 minutes. The assistant sorts, selects, and crops the good photos to 4 by 6 and uploads them to the event page on FB or Dropbox. Members of the event get notified that there are new photos.

There are more advanced systems that use RFID tags of each person in a photo that is swipped when the photo is taken, and then the photos can be sent by email or social media at the event:
http://www.limelightph​otobooth.com/rfid-photo-booth/ (external link)

ready2go
THREAD ­ STARTER
666 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Jun 27, 2016 08:27 |  #9

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18050316 (external link)
I asked because that step usually takes quite a bit of time, which is why the following:

might not be as cumbersome as you think.

what i'm saying is that if you have to spend the time culling/sorting each image, then the additional step of uploading them is not really not a huge task.

I use wifi on my iPhone to connect to my 6D while at events. I cull and download selected images to my phone and then post them to social media and/or dropbox via their iPhone app, and I can tell you that the upload takes significantly less of my time than the download/cull/sort.

The images downloaded from the camera are medium sized JPG which i find perfect for free sharing because it allows me to retain control of the full res files.

I've done it and it definitely works, but just looking for something faster. Also, the Canon Connect app/wifi system needs improvement. I have difficulty connecting most times, and when connected, shooting wirelessly is also buggy, but again, it does "work".

Scott Spellman wrote in post #18050424 (external link)
The simplest and best solution is to swap memory cards with an assistant with a laptop every 15 or 30 minutes. The assistant sorts, selects, and crops the good photos to 4 by 6 and uploads them to the event page on FB or Dropbox. Members of the event get notified that there are new photos.

There are more advanced systems that use RFID tags of each person in a photo that is swipped when the photo is taken, and then the photos can be sent by email or social media at the event:
http://www.limelightph​otobooth.com/rfid-photo-booth/ (external link)

RFID may be overkill. I'm thinking an easier approach would be to shoot in jpg mode and an Eye-Fi card. I used to upload videos to youtube that way.

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
9,917 posts
Joined Jun 2011
Post edited over 4 years ago by Left Handed Brisket.

Jun 27, 2016 10:06 |  #10

i don't shoot wirelessly at events. I shoot, go to an out of the way place so people don't interrupt me, wake up my iPhone, turn on my 6D wifi (it stays off to preserve battery) and use the Canon app to delete and download, turn off the camera wifi, and upload. I have never, ever had any problem connecting, it takes only a second or two for the phone to recognize the camera and the app. I honestly can't envision any faster way to do it.

I will say that when I first set it up I did something not quite right and it was kind of clunky as you say ... slow to connect and frequent disconnects. I deleted the set up from the camera and set it up again following the directions exactly. That was a month or two after getting my camera and it has been three years now that I have not had to change a thing. I realize that different hardware might make for a different experience, but you might try resetting the camera wifi settings and only connecting when you are ready to download.

Considering wifi was a feature I thought was kind of frivolous when I bought the camera, it has really changed the way I work with my clients, and as I say, has been bulletproof.

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
16,583 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jun 27, 2016 11:02 |  #11

post to FB and tag the couple and/or a few related and on a list.

Custom hashtag for IG #couplesnamesweddingYY​YY. keep it simple, offloading jpgs to users is way too technical IMO. Easy simple fast, use tags.

Sony A7siii/A7iii/ZV-1 - FE 24/1.4 - SY 24/2.8 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Tamron 17-28/2.8 - 28-75/2.8 - 28-200 RXD
Panasonic G9 - Laowa 7.5/2 - PL 15/1.7 - P 42.5/1.8 - OM 75/1.8 - PL 10-25/1.7 - P 12-32 - P 14-140

Ninarrr
20 posts
Joined Jun 2016

Jun 30, 2016 08:32 |  #12

I use something called a Samba server for file sharing. It is a network service that was specifically developed for that purpose and it is said to be more secure and faster than other sharing services. After the initial installation it is really easy to use and it has worked a treat for me. This explains (external link)how it works and how to install it in better detail.

I know it may sound a little more complicated than some other methods, but I value security above ease when it comes to sharing my images...

Big_Tyke
85 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jul 06, 2016 16:14 |  #13

If you have a gmail account, you can try google photos, upload and then share, send the link to your friends. Very easy to use.

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,695 posts
Joined May 2004

Jul 11, 2016 08:56 |  #14

I would point out that cell phones these days don't take "crappy" pictures, especially when the results are only going to be viewed on other cell phones.

Whatever "crap" there is, then, is a matter of the selective eye of the photographer, not only in taking the image but also in editing the out-take.

TANSTAAFL--The Only Unbreakable Rule in Photography

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,601 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Jul 11, 2016 09:55 |  #15

Agree with Scott that the best way to do it quickly and maintain editorial control would be to have an assistant do a cull and crop then upload.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

sponsored links

5,408 views & 8 likes for this thread
What would I need to share photos instantly with large groups of people?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.