Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
Thread started 26 Apr 2016 (Tuesday) 22:17
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Nikons new D500 vs the Canon 7DII

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,842 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined May 2011

Jun 16, 2016 17:25 |  #121

I'm just wondering if John got his Nikon D500... and how well it's working.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

sponsored links
flowrider
Goldmember
3,586 posts
Gallery: 124 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Dec 2009

Jun 17, 2016 01:52 as a reply to  @ Phoenixkh's post |  #122

I don't think we'll ever know.

~Steve~
~ My Website-stevelowephoto.com (external link) ~ Facebook (external link)
Feedback Feedback Feedback

aladyforty
Goldmember
4,176 posts
Gallery: 289 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2005

Jun 17, 2016 04:22 |  #123

this is interesting

http://petapixel.com …ccused-false-advertising/ (external link)

5D3 7D2 Canon G1X Fuji X100 Fuji X10 canon glass & the odd other brands https://500px.com/alad​yforty (external link)
My youtube channel https://www.youtube.co​m …wlc4zg?view_as=​subscriber (external link)

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
15,289 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Jun 19, 2016 07:52 |  #124

So basically one cannot deny that Nikon as come out with a nice body. I went to my local camera store yesterday and tried a D500 and the 200-500. Felt very nice but it was tough because I was like a deer in headlights with the controls. I brought my 7D2 & 100-400 II as well.

The camera and lens felt good and well balanced. Files were sharp and clean. Initial AF acquisition did not snap in like my 100-400 II. It was actually pretty slow. It came into focus gradually but I never timed it. So far burst shots look consistent with D500 but I have to do a better inspection. The 3D focus was very good. Nikon's version of zone and maybe iTR. I was on single point and all AF points were active. I focused on something and then moved the camera left and right. I tracked/held AF on the original Af point very well. Better than my 7D2 and I use zone AF a lot.

I wanted to try the 80-400 but they don't stock it. I have posted this on other sites and people have backed the slow AF using the 200-500 and also said the same for the 80-400. The primes telephotos are fast.

I compared the 200-500 to the 100-400 II at imaging resource and the 100-400 edged it out for sharpness. You would have to really pixel peep to see it. The 200-500 produced pleasing sharp files. Not sure I could get used to the slow initial focus and 1 can't afford a prime.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

johnf3f
Goldmember
4,092 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 19, 2016 17:56 as a reply to  @ digital paradise's post |  #125

Interested in your observations DP.
I have never even held a D500, but I am reading great things about it, my concern is AF performance. Whilst the budget Nikons that I have tried seemed pretty/very good in their respective price ranges I have been very disappointed with the AF on their Pro bodies (D4/D4S) with their long (SuperTele) lenses.
Perhaps the D500 will cure this? Let's hope so, not only for all the Nikon users out there but for the Canon users too - it would keep them on their toes!
One of my photography cronies has ordered a D500 so I am hoping he will let me have a play soon!

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

russ49
588 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Nov 2009
Post edited over 3 years ago by russ49.

Jun 24, 2016 17:08 |  #126

DXOmark put out a review on the D500 sensor...seems the D7200 out performs in some areas
http://www.dxomark.com …D-Mark-II___1061_1020_977 (external link)

SX10is, S90, d5100 (35mm1.8, 18-55mm, 55-200mm), d750 (28-300mm, 50mm 1.8, 35-70mm 2.8, 24-120mm f/4, 85mm 1.8G), EOS-M5 (EF-M 15-45mm, 18-150mm, EF 40mm 2.8), RX10mk4

AKA ­ John ­ K
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Jun 2016
Post edited over 3 years ago by AKA John K. (2 edits in all)

Jun 26, 2016 01:46 |  #127
bannedPermanent ban

I think the D500 is so far beyond the 7DII that it can actually be compared to the Nikon D4s as well as the Canon 1Dx:

D500 Advantages over both the Nikon D4s and the Canon 1Dx
Price
Size
Weight
Sensor size
Better Dynamic Range (until ISO 1600, after which it still remains comparable all the way to ISO 6000)
Better Tonal Range (all across the board)
Comparable Color Sensitivity (until ISO 2000)
Better AF System, on every level
Articulating, Touch Screen
4K Video

D4s/1Dx Advantages over D500
Better SNR
Slightly Better Dynamic Range (worse until ISO 1600, after which they enjoy only a minor advantage)
Slightly-Better Color Sensitivity
2 more FPS

Check out the stats (external link).
(Make sure you click Measurements > SNR | Dynamic Range | Tonal Range | Color Sensitivity)

Comparing the D500 to the 7D II or D80 is a rout for the D500 (external link) ... it's on a totally different level.

Even comparing the D500 to the D4/1Dx is a "break even" scoring ... and the D500 is 1/3rd the price of the D4s (and half the price of the 1Dx).

Importantly, not only does the D500 surpass current "true pro" cameras in some image-quality respects, it has a vastly superior AF system to every camera available (except the D5) in every respect.

Forget the measly 7D II, the D500 is actually the only APS-C camera, ever, that surpasses true pro cameras in any way, let alone in more respects than not.

aladyforty
Goldmember
4,176 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jun 26, 2016 07:28 |  #128

Jim Turner wrote in post #18050131 (external link)
I think the D500 is so far beyond the 7DII that it can actually be compared to the Nikon D4s as well as the Canon 1Dx:

D500 Advantages over both the Nikon D4s and the Canon 1Dx
Price
Size
Weight
Sensor size
Better Dynamic Range (until ISO 1600, after which it still remains comparable all the way to ISO 6000)
Better Tonal Range (all across the board)
Comparable Color Sensitivity (until ISO 2000)
Better AF System, on every level
Articulating, Touch Screen
4K Video

D4s/1Dx Advantages over D500
Better SNR
Slightly Better Dynamic Range (worse until ISO 1600, after which they enjoy only a minor advantage)
Slightly-Better Color Sensitivity
2 more FPS

Check out the stats (external link).
(Make sure you click Measurements > SNR | Dynamic Range | Tonal Range | Color Sensitivity)

Comparing the D500 to the 7D II or D80 is a rout for the D500 (external link) ... it's on a totally different level.

Even comparing the D500 to the D4/1Dx is a "break even" scoring ... and the D500 is 1/3rd the price of the D4s (and half the price of the 1Dx).

Importantly, not only does the D500 surpass current "true pro" cameras in some image-quality respects, it has a vastly superior AF system to every camera available (except the D5) in every respect.

Forget the measly 7D II, the D500 is actually the only APS-C camera, ever, that surpasses true pro cameras in any way, let alone in more respects than not.

well if it was not a LOT better than a camera already three years old Id be worried, that said what I've seen so far does not make me feel my 7DII is terribly inferior considering MY end results. My 7DII is fast, bang on focus wise and produces good files and for me a camera is just a tool to get RAW files on to my computer for editing. Pretty sure this new camera probably makes it a lot easier for the photographer to do so but like I said, I've yet to see any images that can not be replicated by the 7DII. There is no way Id pay that price for a crop camera, I even felt the 7DII was too much. That said Im keen to see some great images from the new Nikon APSC flagship

5D3 7D2 Canon G1X Fuji X100 Fuji X10 canon glass & the odd other brands https://500px.com/alad​yforty (external link)
My youtube channel https://www.youtube.co​m …wlc4zg?view_as=​subscriber (external link)

AKA ­ John ­ K
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Jun 2016

Jun 26, 2016 12:33 |  #129
bannedPermanent ban

aladyforty wrote in post #18050246 (external link)
well if it was not a LOT better than a camera already three years old Id be worried, that said what I've seen so far does not make me feel my 7DII is terribly inferior considering MY end results. My 7DII is fast, bang on focus wise and produces good files and for me a camera is just a tool to get RAW files on to my computer for editing. Pretty sure this new camera probably makes it a lot easier for the photographer to do so but like I said, I've yet to see any images that can not be replicated by the 7DII. There is no way Id pay that price for a crop camera, I even felt the 7DII was too much. That said Im keen to see some great images from the new Nikon APSC flagship

The 7D II came out in September of 2014, making it 1.6 years old.

When it came out, it was behind most other APS-Cs in the sensor, and way behind every flagship DRLR made, in every category.

Yet you paid $1799 for that level of performance, didn't you?

Now that the D500 is out, 1.5 years later, it surpasses every other APS-C in the sensor (as well as even flagship DSLRs in some sensor categories), and it surpasses every DSLR made in its AF abilities (except its big brother, the new D5).

But you think $1996 is "too much" for this level of performance?

Sounds a bit ingenuine to me.

D500 vs 7D II vs 1Dx (external link) (check the stats in the Measurements tab)

PNPhotography
803 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jun 26, 2016 14:50 |  #130

Jim Turner wrote in post #18050427 (external link)

When it came out, it was behind most other APS-Cs in the sensor, and way behind every flagship DRLR made, in every category.

Now that the D500 is out, 1.5 years later, it surpasses every other APS-C in the sensor (as well as even flagship DSLRs in some sensor categories), and it surpasses every DSLR made in its AF abilities (except its big brother, the new D5).

Jim Turner=Is that you John koerner?

6D|7D|7DMKII|Nikon D750|Nikon 85 F1.8|Nikon D5500|G15| Gripped|300F4|35F2IS|8​5 F1.8|135L F2|200L F2.8|17-55 F2.8|70-200L F2.8 MKII|430EX|
https://www.facebook.c​om …2755174446/?ref​=bookmarks (external link)

AKA ­ John ­ K
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Jun 2016
Post edited over 3 years ago by AKA John K.

Jun 26, 2016 16:39 |  #131
bannedPermanent ban

PNPhotography wrote in post #18050573 (external link)

Jim Turner=Is that you John koerner?

?

johnf3f
Goldmember
4,092 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 26, 2016 16:50 as a reply to  @ AKA John K's post |  #132

Interesting thoughts Jim.

You state that "Importantly, not only does the D500 surpass current "true pro" cameras in some image-quality respects, it has a vastly superior AF system to every camera available (except the D5) in every respect."

Have you actually used the D5?
Well I have, and on the latest E series lenses, and the AF didn't compare too well to my 7D2. To compare the D5 AF performance to my 1DX is just not fair. The 1DX2 is just insulting.

I was really hoping that the D500 would be a significant improvement on the AF performance of the D4/D4S/D5 (which are somewhat lacking) but you tell me that the AF on the D500 is inferior to the D5. I have yet to try a D500 but as the D5 was rather disappointing, and you tell me that the AF on the D500 is worse, then I can only hope that Nikon improve their AF systems in future cameras.

I had heard that the D500 was very good but now you are telling me that the AF is not up to snuff. It's a shame as I was hoping it would be good.

johnf3f
Goldmember
4,092 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 26, 2016 16:52 as a reply to  @ PNPhotography's post |  #133

It probably is, only JK could think that Nikon pro cameras have good AF.

aladyforty
Goldmember
4,176 posts
Joined Dec 2005
Post edited over 3 years ago by aladyforty.

Jun 26, 2016 20:42 |  #134

Jim Turner wrote in post #18050427 (external link)

well actually the D500 here in Australia is around $2800 just for the body, Id rather buy another 5DIII. The reason I use a 7DII is for reach and speed, it actually has the same speed as the Nikon. I was not expecting it to be as good as its turned out to be anyway. I'm sure the d500 is a way better camera, its newer, has newer technology etc, but in the end does that actually mean that any previous model is suddenly crap? In the end its the photographer who counts as the most important thing. Ive already seen very mediocre images out of the D500, I'm sure i will also see some amazing ones as well, just as Ive seen out of 7DII and many other cameras. Generally people will buy into a system and basically there is no way Id give up using the canon L lenses for whats on offer from other brands plus pay even more money out when I can get images of the same quality out of the cameras I have. Id probably say the same thing if Id originally gone with a different brand as well. In the end I went canon for their prime lenses which I still believe are the better lenses over all.

power ­ shot
61 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Jun 29, 2016 03:46 |  #135

i have seen a few 1DX owners now saying how the D500 out focuses their 1DX and we all know the Nikon sensors outclass anything Canon has yet to put on the market so what Jim did post is not off the mark

Canon users don't like to hear this kind of news but it is what it is, the D500 also does not have one complaint about focus problems like the 7D2 is still plagued with, the D5 not one complaint with it unlike the 1DX2 with its corrupt files, camera freezes, soft images

sponsored links

28,289 views & 66 likes for this thread
Nikons new D500 vs the Canon 7DII
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.