Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Architecture, Real-Estate & Buildings 
Thread started 15 Jul 2010 (Thursday) 14:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

A thread for real estate, architectural, and interior design photography

LoneRider
Goldmember
2,324 posts
Gallery: 443 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010
Post edited over 3 years ago by LoneRider. (2 edits in all)

Jun 27, 2016 20:19 |  #8236

mltn wrote in post #18051776 (external link)
I'm sure DLSR controller is better, but my point was that he already has the necessary gear to do what he's going for. It seems as though he always wanted a solution that involved buying more gear, so that's what he did. I can't currently justify buying gear that I don't strictly need, and especially if it doesn't contribute significantly to my workflow or overall image quality. Nothing wrong with gear-centric problem solving, just not my style.

Actually I didn't have the necessary gear for the problem. The Canon app would work with one of my bodies (6D) but not the 7D2 (no wifi). 6D doesn't work with the Sigma crop lens, so I have been using the 7D2. The tight spaces that I would benefit from an articulated LCD, preclude the 6D and longer FL of my 16-35mm lens, so 6D and it's wifi wouldn't help. Also don't want to use two bodies at a single job.

Any solution was going to require a gear purchase - New body, App and a new tablet since the App wouldn't work with my current tablet, External monitor.

My first idea was a new body for the obvious articulated LCD. Other's mentioned things I didn't think of, so I re-thought and considered options I had not thought about. Ended up going with either the lowest or next to lowest cost solution ($165 where would have probably spent at least $125-$150 for an Android tablet and possibly more).

For me, it does contribute to the workflow as I expect it will result in time saved on setting up those tight shots and taking them once instead of taking them two or three times making blind adjustments in between shots until the framing is right.

At the end of the day, the additional gear cost is pretty small and equates to less than what I charge for a single job. To me, given it provides a benefit - I think that is reasonable and readily justified.

I didn't mean to start a war pitting folks who do different things differently against each other. Clearly there are a variety of workable options and different people are going to have different preferences. In the end, everyone finds what works for them and if it works than the problem is solved.

While some may disagree with some of Apple's decisions on what features and processes they will make available to third party apps, I think claiming them to be a "joke" is a bit of a stretch. There are a litany of reasons on why I went away from Windows and Android and came to Apple, just as there are reasons folks have gone the other way. I made my choice for my reasons and as long as that choice meets my needs I am good with it. I don't feel the need to tout Apple over the other options or deride Apple's competitors.

Here is the chain of events for me and the solution I decided on:

-I wanted an ability to see the live view framing of a shot when I couldn't fit behind the camera due to close quarters.
-Initially, I assumed I needed a camera with an articulating LCD
-Others mentioned solutions I had not thought of while pointing out the cameras I was considering would have drawbacks over the cameras i already had (unintended consequences)
-I reassessed solution options looking at pros and cons of each

NEW CAMERA BODY -
Pros:New camera body, articulating screen
Cons: Somewhat reduced capabilities compared to current bodies, lower build quality/durability, no electronic level, high cost

Tablet/APP-
Pros:Provides larger screen than articulating LCD, significantly lower cost, remote control of focus and other camera features, remote shutter actuation
Cons:Android only- would need to buy an Android tablet and use another OS, another software to become familiar/proficient with, additional layer of "tech"

External Monitor-
Pros:Provides larger screen than articulating LCD, significantly lower cost - comparable and possibly less than buying a new tablet and app, no additional OS or software to learn, simple cable connection.
Cons:No remote control over camera settings or shutter actuation, another battery/charger to deal with

WANTED:
-External monitor for certain circumstances where it would be a benefit.
-Simple quick set up/take down

UNDESIREABLE:
-No additional OS or software to learn/use
-Excess cost for unnecessary features (remote settings/shutter actuation)

Decision - External monitor
Reason - Satisfies wants/needs at lowest cost, no undesirable (for me) attributes

Lets get back to photos!

IMAGE: https://c8.staticflickr.com/8/7359/27590128015_3b81255705_b.jpg

Wayne...
~I don't suffer from gear ADD, I embrace and enjoy it...~
Canon EOS R, Panasonic G9, GX9, and a bunch of glass...

sponsored links
tytlyf
129 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2015

Jun 27, 2016 20:37 |  #8237

This is one exposure, ambient. No flash.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Canon 6D - 16-35 F/4L IS - 24-105 F/4L IS
www.FLREphotography.co​m
flickr (external link)

rejay14
Goldmember
1,046 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Jun 27, 2016 21:18 |  #8238

As LoneRider said.. no battle-lines drawn, each must choose their own platform. All of my systems are Windows EXCEPT my phone and iPad. They are simply better in my opinion. I have no allegiance to one OS or the other, it's simply which one I chose, purchased software for and now I'm stuck there. In the back of my mind, I think I am sorry that years ago I didn't choose Apple, but then again, they only had a simple OS and no software options (1990's). The CamRanger option kicks a$$ for me, so I went there. Even more stable than the WiFi connection on my laptop! Basically, I'm a software prostitute: whatever works best for me, if I can go there, I will. If there is a Windows or Canon option that is better come time, I will look into it.

For those posters/watchers that are considering which option, I say this: choose carefully, buy it, make some money and enjoy the process!

1DX Mark II, 5D Mark IV, 40D,Rebel XT :lol:, 70-200L 2.8 IS II, 100-400L IS II,24-105 II L, 100mmL 2.8 IS, 16-35L 2.8 II, 24-70 2.8L II, Sigma 50mm 1.4 Art, Sekonic 758DR, Pixma 9500 II, Pixma 9000 II, Think Tank Airport Accelerator v2.0, Canon 600EX-RT x 5, Profoto B1 Kit x2 with too many modifiers http:// …www.PrestigePhotoPro.c​om (external link) Portfolio (external link)
Concert Photography (external link)

cccc
Goldmember
2,017 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 28, 2016 13:01 |  #8239

Had to do some fancy magic tint tricks to the glass in #2. The company logo really wanted to blend into the background.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

mltn
353 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Jun 28, 2016 13:06 |  #8240

LoneRider wrote in post #18051836 (external link)
Actually I didn't have the necessary gear for the problem. The Canon app would work with one of my bodies (6D) but not the 7D2 (no wifi). 6D doesn't work with the Sigma crop lens, so I have been using the 7D2. The tight spaces that I would benefit from an articulated LCD, preclude the 6D and longer FL of my 16-35mm lens, so 6D and it's wifi wouldn't help. Also don't want to use two bodies at a single job.

Decision - External monitor
Reason - Satisfies wants/needs at lowest cost, no undesirable (for me) attributes

I thought you said you had the Rokinon 14mm? My argument is based on this assumption, you mentioned owning it in an earlier post.

Your Sigma @ 8mm on your crop-sensor 7D2 is equivalent to 13mm on your full-frame 6D (12.8mm rounded up). I think that the difference between 13mm & 14mm is pretty negligible, so you would get essentially the same results sticking with the 6D and 14mm (again, assuming you own this lens). Going back to my previous point, you use your iPhone with your 6D for a remote screen, use the 14mm Rokinon, and your results will be very similar to what you can do with your new rig.

From a strictly cost perspective, the Sigma 8-16 + External monitor is an additional $790 expense to get an effective 1.2mm wider than your original set-up.

This approach is purely practically based, not considering any personal preference you might have for your new rig, or other factors that makes this a better solution for you and your workflow. At the end of the day, it is a slightly wider set-up, and I can see how having a zoom lens, instead of a fixed 14mm prime could save some time.

mltn
353 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Sep 2010
Post edited over 3 years ago by mltn.

Jun 28, 2016 13:08 |  #8241

tytlyf wrote in post #18051850 (external link)
This is one exposure, ambient. No flash.
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by tytlyf in
./showthread.php?p=180​51850&i=i100621406
forum: Architecture, Real-Estate & Buildings

Nice shot, you did well to minimize the difference in color balance here. I'm guessing you set the WB closer to tungsten, and desaturated the blue from the window to even things out?

I thought the vanity light was a chandelier at first, because of the reflection, that would've been a first to see for me.

cccc wrote in post #18052448 (external link)
Had to do some fancy magic tint tricks to the glass in #2. The company logo really wanted to blend into the background.
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by cccc in
./showthread.php?p=180​52448&i=i3280108

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by cccc in
./showthread.php?p=180​52448&i=i47716278

Nice shots! Everything looks nice and clean, what kind of magic tinting did that logo require? Did you strobe and blend multiple frames here?

Edit: combining commentary so I don't flood the thread with 3 posts in a row.

cccc
Goldmember
2,017 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 28, 2016 16:30 |  #8242

mltn wrote in post #18052453 (external link)
Nice shots! Everything looks nice and clean, what kind of magic tinting did that logo require? Did you strobe and blend multiple frames here?

All strobed, very little ambient blended in here. I used 1 Rovelight shot into a medium silver umbrella to create the directional light you see. The amount of reflections caused by the reflective surfaces combined with harsh daylight and warm interior lighting made this pretty tough, so I decided to overpower all of it with flash. I think each image is composed of about 10 frames and a couple dozen adjustment layers.

I utilized a darker exposure and masked in only the glass. The glass is actually clear, but the silver letters blended into the background too much.

LoneRider
Goldmember
2,324 posts
Gallery: 443 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 28, 2016 20:00 |  #8243

mltn wrote in post #18052450 (external link)
I thought you said you had the Rokinon 14mm? My argument is based on this assumption, you mentioned owning it in an earlier post.

Your Sigma @ 8mm on your crop-sensor 7D2 is equivalent to 13mm on your full-frame 6D (12.8mm rounded up). I think that the difference between 13mm & 14mm is pretty negligible, so you would get essentially the same results sticking with the 6D and 14mm (again, assuming you own this lens). Going back to my previous point, you use your iPhone with your 6D for a remote screen, use the 14mm Rokinon, and your results will be very similar to what you can do with your new rig.

From a strictly cost perspective, the Sigma 8-16 + External monitor is an additional $790 expense to get an effective 1.2mm wider than your original set-up.

This approach is purely practically based, not considering any personal preference you might have for your new rig, or other factors that makes this a better solution for you and your workflow. At the end of the day, it is a slightly wider set-up, and I can see how having a zoom lens, instead of a fixed 14mm prime could save some time.

Yes, the field of view the difference is minimal. However the Sigma offers additional beneficial differences besides that slight increase in FOV:

-Sigma has far less distortion than the 14mm lens and is sharper edge to edge. While the Rokinon/Samyang is not a fisheye, it is does have some distortion on the straight lines that I inevitably have to deal with in post.
-The convenience not having to swap between lenses by having the range of 13-26mm equivalent in one lens vs having the 14mm and then 16-35mm if using the 6D
-AF instead of MF only. Granted the DOF is pretty big when 14mm at f/8 but there have been a couple times when I have forgotten to adjust focus or bumped it and had less than sharp photos.
-7D2 has a better electronic level, makes getting the shot set up faster. I find that it is rare I can simply level the tripod and then have all shots be good. Houses are rarely totally level across the floor and there are also times when a tripod leg may be on bare floor and the others are on carpet, etc. that I find I usually need to adjust level for almost every shot taken. I only started using the 7D2 for RE recently, but since I have I find I prefer it to the 6D.

I did a couple of quick comparisons for side by side 6D/Rokinon 14mm vs 7D2/8-16mm. Same post adjustments to both in PhotoShop using ACR (AWB, +.5 exposure, -25 Highlights, +25 shadows). Slight differences in view are from different distance from tripod head to sense between the bodies. I made no adjustment to the tripod between shots, only swapped the cameras.

The whole room pic isn't as significant as the second shot in differences, but every shot I took with the 14mm I had to correct for barrel distortion. One less thing to adjust when using the 7D2 and Sigma lens.

On the second shot you can more clearly see the barrel distortion on the china hutch going through frame center and the and loss of quality at the edges of frame on the figurine at the far left of frame.

$625 for the Sigma+$165 for the external monitor=$790, but I can sell the 14mm for $275-$300 so and that brings the outlay to $515.

Was it a requirement? No, but then view things really are. At the end of the day it makes the workflow a little faster/easier and I am happier with the results.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Wayne...
~I don't suffer from gear ADD, I embrace and enjoy it...~
Canon EOS R, Panasonic G9, GX9, and a bunch of glass...

tytlyf
129 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2015

Jun 29, 2016 08:37 |  #8244

mltn wrote in post #18052453 (external link)
Nice shot, you did well to minimize the difference in color balance here. I'm guessing you set the WB closer to tungsten, and desaturated the blue from the window to even things out?

I thought the vanity light was a chandelier at first, because of the reflection, that would've been a first to see for me.

I used the WB selector on the sinks and then either de saturated the other side or used a gradient for it.

Canon 6D - 16-35 F/4L IS - 24-105 F/4L IS
www.FLREphotography.co​m
flickr (external link)

cccc
Goldmember
2,017 posts
Joined Dec 2008
Post edited over 3 years ago by cccc.

Jul 02, 2016 12:36 |  #8245

Check out the wine cellar to the right. I almost walked into the glass, it blended right in!

Would you believe me if I said this was 12 images? I really need to pick up a 17mm TSE... 4 sets of 3 vertically shifted images, aligned semi-autonomously in PS.

HOSTED PHOTO

geo35
518 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Apr 2009

Jul 03, 2016 06:53 |  #8246

Real estate is something I don't normally do... This was five exposures blended as one HDR shot using NIK effects....

HOSTED PHOTO

rgs
Goldmember
2,328 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Jul 03, 2016 07:36 |  #8247

geo35 wrote in post #18056626 (external link)
Real estate is something I don't normally do... This was five exposures blended as one HDR shot using NIK effects....

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by geo35 in
./showthread.php?p=180​56626&i=i9653948

Nice looking shot. Good composition and nice balance with outside and interior lights. One thing - correct the verticals convergence.

Canon 7d MkII, Canon 50D, Pentax 67, Canon 30D, Baker Custom 4x5, Canon EF 24-104mm f4, Canon EF 100mm f2.8 Macro, Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC

The Singular Image (external link)Richard Smith Photography (external link)
Richard Smith Real Estate Photography (external link)500PX (external link)
Fine Art America (external link)

Scott ­ Spellman
203 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Oct 2015

Jul 03, 2016 09:34 |  #8248

geo35 wrote in post #18056626 (external link)

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by geo35 in
./showthread.php?p=180​56626&i=i9653948

This is a good composition and exposure. Yes correcting the vertical lines is essential. Turning all the lights on usually produces a more exciting shot. I would have also cleaned up the scene-moved the loose chairs, TV remote, basket under the table, backsaver cushions, align sofa cushions, wrinkles in the rug.

cccc
Goldmember
2,017 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 03, 2016 13:33 |  #8249

Yes, that is a shower behind the bathtub.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

digirebelva
Goldmember
3,976 posts
Gallery: 367 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Jul 05, 2016 05:12 |  #8250

IMAGE: https://c3.staticflickr.com/8/7375/27991547402_5e4a8d3aa6_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/JDvZ​Qf  (external link) Bottomely Pl-Flyer (external link) by Tim Wilson (external link), on Flickr

EOS 6d, 7dMKII, Tokina 11-16, Tokina 16-28, Sigma 70-200mm F/2.8, Sigma 17-50 F/2.8, Canon 24-70mm F/2.8L, Canon 70-200 F/2.8L, Mixed Speedlites and other stuff.

When it ceases to be fun, it will be time to walk away
Website (external link) | Fine Art America (external link)

sponsored links

2,060,344 views & 1,711 likes for this thread
A thread for real estate, architectural, and interior design photography
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Architecture, Real-Estate & Buildings 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.