Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 27 Jun 2016 (Monday) 13:09
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

light for light painting???

oharing
524 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 27, 2016 13:09 |  #1

What type of light do you recommend for light painting buildings, large objects?
Lot of people recommending the Brinkmann Q-beam spot light. I have looked at it and the internal rechargeable battery fails often.

Do you have any recommendation?

Thank so much!

Miami Wedding Photographers (external link)

sponsored links
fotoi
Goldmember
1,244 posts
Gallery: 526 photos
Best ofs: 10
Joined Sep 2012

Jun 27, 2016 13:38 |  #2

oharing wrote in post #18051444 (external link)
What type of light do you recommend for light painting buildings, large objects?
Lot of people recommending the Brinkmann Q-beam spot light. I have looked at it and the internal rechargeable battery fails often.

Thank so much!

For the image below I used a 5 foot LED light strip from Amazon (Audew 5 foot RGB 5050 SMD 45 Light LED Strip with Battery Box) and mounted it to a 5 foot piece of PVC pipe with two-sided tape. Then mount the camera on a tripod, and use "Bulb" mode to open shutter. Then I walked to the back of the bush on the left and turned on the light strip and slowly walked from left to right holding the PVC pipe vertical. I turned it off after I got to the right side next to the brick column. Then I ran over to the camera and using the remote, closed the shutter so the exposure would end. Total exposure time was 89 seconds.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.
Photo from fotoi's gallery.

oharing
THREAD ­ STARTER
524 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 28, 2016 09:04 as a reply to  @ fotoi's post |  #3

It looks AMAZING!!!! :)
Very creative!

Do you think 2800 lumens is an overkill? I have found one with 2800 Lumens.
https://www.amazon.com …m-Spotlight/dp/B00F1GWZT​C (external link)

fotoi
Goldmember
1,244 posts
Gallery: 526 photos
Best ofs: 10
Joined Sep 2012

Jun 28, 2016 10:00 |  #4

oharing wrote in post #18052204 (external link)
It looks AMAZING!!!! :)
Very creative!

Do you think 2800 lumens is an overkill? I have found one with 2800 Lumens.
https://www.amazon.com …m-Spotlight/dp/B00F1GWZT​C (external link)

No, looks good.

kickmaster
537 posts
Gallery: 22 photos
Joined Nov 2004

Jun 28, 2016 10:49 |  #5

Try http://www.thepixelsti​ck.com/ (external link)

Canon Forever! 5D III, 1DX, L Primes & Zooms, Kino-Flo, Einsteins, Interfit's, Diva Ringlight, Phottix Indra 500 TTL, Interfit S1's..... Full studio....

ptcanon3ti
Cream of the Crop
7,855 posts
Gallery: 346 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Sep 2012

Jun 28, 2016 11:12 |  #6

If you mean to be able to brighten houses, and such, during dark night photography, this should be fine.

https://www.amazon.com …r=1-3&keywords=flashlight (external link)

just keep the light moving over your subject while your shutter is open or you will get hot spots. Also shoot RAW so you can adjust color temp accordingly.

Paul
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/petshots/ (external link)
Body - Nikon D750
Lenses - Nikon 20 f1.8 / Nikon 16-35 f4 / Sigma 105 OS Macro / Sigma 24-105 f4 Art / Tamron 70-200 2.8 Di VC / Sigma 150-600 "S"

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,475 posts
Joined Dec 2002
Post edited over 2 years ago by SkipD.

Jun 28, 2016 14:42 |  #7

oharing wrote in post #18051444 (external link)

Thank so much!

I've seen lots of images that were made in the dark where the photographer made multiple pops with a portable flash source from different positions to light the subject while the camera (in a fixed position) had a locked-open shutter. My point is that one does not need a continuous light source for "light painting" depending on what type of light painting is to be done.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

oharing
THREAD ­ STARTER
524 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 28, 2016 18:43 |  #8

SkipD wrote in post #18052531 (external link)
I've seen lots of images that were made in the dark where the photographer made multiple pops with a portable flash source from different positions to light the subject while the camera (in a fixed position) had a locked-open shutter. My point is that one does not need a continuous light source for "light painting" depending on what type of light painting is to be done.

I totally agree. You have to have powerful flashes though.... and fast recycle time! :)

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,475 posts
Joined Dec 2002
Post edited over 2 years ago by SkipD.

Jun 28, 2016 22:42 |  #9

oharing wrote in post #18052708 (external link)
I totally agree. You have to have powerful flashes though.... and fast recycle time! :)

Not necessarily true. If, for example, your subject is a car in a dark setting you could have a 5-minute exposure set up and make a whole lot of pops in that time. An ordinary on-camera flash (used handheld off-camera, of course) could easily be powerful enough as long as you get enough light where you need it. Obviously, experimentation would go a long way toward achieving perfection.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

-Duck-
my head is usually in the way
1,626 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2016

Jun 28, 2016 22:56 |  #10

I've light painted with everything from small handheld lights to powerful flood lamps. I've even used my cell phone a couple of times. Once I ran around the bushes like an idiot with a portable strobe swatting mosquitos the entire time (not fun). The best light is the one that's right for the job. Obviously for a large structure you're going to want a beam that's rather broad and fairly even to avoid hot spots. Smaller subjects would require smaller or less powerful sources.

There is no rule that says you have to get it all in camera also. If ambient light doesn't allow for a long enough shutter simply layer your images in photoshop and do a composite.

"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Unitas Photography (external link)Blog (external link)Facebook (external link)Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

1,879 views & 0 likes for this thread
light for light painting???
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.