Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 28 Jun 2016 (Tuesday) 16:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New to Pro-100 need an icc?

dansmail26
359 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Jun 28, 2016 16:04 |  #1

Getting lousy looking pictures from my Pro-100 using a lot of paper I had for my HP printer. I am trying to use HP Premium Plus soft gloss paper. I am learning, dioscovered I need an ICC for it but can't find one anywhere, any ideas? LOL, even when I try and get away from HP they still come back and haunt me!!!!

7D mark ii, Canon 24-70 2.8 II, 70-200 f/4L non-is, Canon 10-18 efs, Canon 1.4x, Yongnuo 468 II

sponsored links
Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,897 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Jun 28, 2016 16:09 |  #2

not the help you are looking for, but i would just buy some Canon paper. The only tweak I needed to get excellent color reproductions was in the print driver itself. I think i bumped the Intensity and the Yellow a bit.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

m.good
87 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Jun 28, 2016 17:16 |  #3

I set up a new Pro 100 printer last week and got almost perfect prints out of it right away.

Couple of questions first before you change anything.

1. Is you camera color corrected for your lighting?
2. Do you have something that his perfect color on it like a Gretag Macbeth Color checker color chart? You can not use a Kodak 18% gray card. They are not always gray.
3. Is you monitor color corrected?

If you don't start with good color then you can not get good color out a printer, you will be chasing your tail or color.

Michael - Pro photographer

dansmail26
THREAD ­ STARTER
359 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Jun 28, 2016 20:31 |  #4

- I have a lot of the HP paper I would liketo get rid of, but I am going to get some Canon paper too. My wife did a shoot for a family and has promised them so pictures so she wants it to be perfect.
- I did download a color chart and it looks perfect on the monitor. Haven't tried to print it yet as I figure I need to get the right icc.

Thanks

7D mark ii, Canon 24-70 2.8 II, 70-200 f/4L non-is, Canon 10-18 efs, Canon 1.4x, Yongnuo 468 II

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,015 posts
Gallery: 543 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 29, 2016 03:10 |  #5

If the HP paper is RC and a top quality paper, and you are using OEM inks I would try printing a test print or two simply using the Canon Platinum Pro profile. I have a Pixma 5150 and although I use the Platinum Pro paper for my prints there are times I use other cheap glossy photo papers for various things. I just use the same .icc profile for those cheap papers too. I have never noticed any significant colour shifts when doing so. Since my printer is at the very bottom of the Pixma range it only has a limited tange of paper options in the printer driver. Platinum Pro is the only paper option that allows you to set the print quality to maximum in the printer driver. When I print I do so from LR, with LR managing colour, so I could chose to use any .icc profile I wanted. Unless you are doing highly critical work where correct colour matching is essential, such as product photography, where exactly matching the colour of the product is vital, I think you will generally get away with simply using a profile from the closest matching paper type. Also remember most people would be unable to see any difference between a print that was made using a custom made paper/ink profile, and one made with all colour management turned off! Unless placed side by side in front of them, and even then there are a few folks I know that would struggle to see anything.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,471 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Jun 29, 2016 03:32 |  #6

Prints will look different on different paper because some have optical whiteners, some don't some absorb more ink, some don't and different brands of ink are different. Without an ICC profile your system doesn't know how the ink/paper will combine to produce different colours so they may not match what you get on your calibrated screen.

Unfortunately (unsurprisingly) Canon's list of icc profiles for third party paper (https://www.usa.canon.​com …s/groups/3rd-party-papers (external link)) does not include papers made by other printer companies.

I think the only solution (other than giving away the paper) is to buy a profiling device in order to build a custom profile or use one of the services that will create one for you - https://www.google.com …utf-8&client=firefox-b-ab (external link)

I doubt that either of these options will be cheap.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

dansmail26
THREAD ­ STARTER
359 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Jun 29, 2016 06:42 |  #7

New to this, as I said, but I am surprised each paper doesn't come with it's own icc - such as templates that come with each type of label paper (i.e. Avery).
Thanks

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,898 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2008
Post edited over 3 years ago by kirkt. (2 edits in all)

Jun 29, 2016 09:53 |  #8

Usually, when you print with color management you need to specify two basic things - the media type and the ICC printer-media profile. Are you printing with this type of workflow, or are you letting the printer manage the color?

I do not use the Canon 100 printer, but it probably comes with software that includes ICC profiles for various Canon papers. Take a look at the choices and pick the ICC profile and paper type that most closely matches the HP paper you are using and see what you get. All of this assumes that you are working in a color-managed workflow where your image is being accurately displayed on screen, etc. You can also download printer test images that are "correct" so that even if your display is not accurate, you can trust that the color and tones in the test image are properly balanced, etc., for print output.

Like these:

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk …le_pages/test_i​mages.html (external link)

Also, make sure that you are printing properly, whether you are choosing to let your color management system do the work, or letting the print driver do the work. If you double color manage a print, it will look terrible in many cases - for example, if you do not turn off color management when letting the print driver translate the color.

What application are you printing from?

Good luck,

kirk

Kirk
---

dansmail26
THREAD ­ STARTER
359 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Jun 29, 2016 10:13 as a reply to  @ kirkt's post |  #9

I am printing from LR. I did some research and did turn off letting the printer manage the colors. I also did download a color 'chart' to test with.
I will take your advice and experiment with different profiles and try and find one that works.

In the meantime I am shop;ping for paper, thinking of getting some Red River Ultra Pro Satin. I see Canon has some good deals, but my wife (she the photographer, I'm the 'tech' guy, lol) doesn't like glossy or matte which seems to be most of the Canon deals. We also have a pack of the large paper which we never use.

Thanks

Dan ­ Marchant
5,471 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Jun 29, 2016 17:30 |  #10

dansmail26 wrote in post #18053097 (external link)
New to this, as I said, but I am surprised each paper doesn't come with it's own icc - such as templates that come with each type of label paper (i.e. Avery).
Thanks

Because icc profiles are nothing like templates. There is no one icc for a paper, only for a paper+specific ink+specific printer. Change any of the three and the profile is worthless.

You are talking about a paper company having to buy every printer on the market and every ink on the market and then test each of their different paper types with every combination of printer and ink.

As per my previous post Canon do make profiles for papers from some of the main paper manufacturers. Expecting them to make them for their direct printer competitors paper is, I think, a little unrealistic.

Dan Marchant
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

dansmail26
THREAD ­ STARTER
359 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Jun 29, 2016 20:55 as a reply to  @ Dan Marchant's post |  #11

Gotcha

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
9,897 posts
Joined Jun 2011
Post edited over 3 years ago by Left Handed Brisket.

Jun 29, 2016 21:46 |  #12

as dan has now made clear, it is a lot of work to profile a paper/printer/ink combination.

if your image's colors are coming out okay but either the density of color is off, or it has a slight cast in one direction, it might be a relatively easy fix.

do some testing to find the best canon paper profile that matches up with the HP paper, then start adjusting the "Color Options" in the print dialog box. Well, im on a mac (with a Pro-100), but I would guess canon would make the windows driver about the same. There are sliders to correct all rgb/cmy as well as increase the contrast.

you should be able to get pretty darn close.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
9,897 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jun 29, 2016 21:50 |  #13

btw, the overriding idea here is that the "more coated" the paper is, the more the ink stays on the surface. Super glossy papers keep all the ink on the surface so the printer lays down less ink. Not so coated papers absorb ink down into the paper where it cant be seen, so the printer spits out more ink.

that is one of the main jobs of the ICC profile ... putting out the right amount of ink. So back to step one in my last post, matching up the canon profile to the HP paper is your first step. You should be able to easily tell what's up.

dansmail26
THREAD ­ STARTER
359 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Jul 07, 2016 18:38 |  #14

I bought some Red River paper (then the next day saw the canon sale and also bought some pro luster paper buy 1 get 4 plus 50% off!).
The Red River instructions say to set Manual Color Adjustment Matching: None and Print Quality: Custom / Set Level 2.
Not sure where to do that in LR, is that a photoshop setting? I did set the printer to 'manual' color adjustments and high quality.
Thanks

Dan ­ Marchant
5,471 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Jul 07, 2016 19:32 as a reply to  @ dansmail26's post |  #15

Did you get the icc profiles from the Red River site?
http://www.redrivercat​alog.com …inter-color-profiles.html (external link)

Dan Marchant

sponsored links

3,844 views & 2 likes for this thread
New to Pro-100 need an icc?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.