Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
Thread started 13 Jun 2016 (Monday) 18:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

POTN G-Series Speed Challenge # 591: Dance

Raven
698 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Jun 27, 2016 16:40 |  #16

Thank you for the second spot, Maureen. Thanks for hosting/judging this week. I hope you get some good rest.
And congrats to OhLook and Sibil.
All nice shots this week. Definitely a little harder subject, at least for me.
I recalled a series of photos I took near the Public Market in Seattle several years ago.
Definitely an interesting scene. One not at all uncommon here. Seattle is a pretty free spirited city. :-)

sponsored links
Sibil
Cream of the Crop
9,511 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jun 27, 2016 16:59 |  #17

Congrats to OhLook and Raven. It was definitely a difficult challenge.
I also thought JimAskew's shot was very clever.

Trumper
958 posts
Joined May 2003

Jun 27, 2016 17:31 |  #18

:lol: Well done as ever to everyone.This topic threw me but also with the fact we won't be around for the next couple of weeks i didn't enter.
Well done ,thanks for hosting and hope you are soon feeling better.

teekay
Goldmember
3,037 posts
Joined Apr 2001

Jun 27, 2016 17:47 |  #19

A tough challenge, so congratulations to the winners for good shots all at least somehow related to dancing.

'Still" shots of dancing are tough. I've tried many times in the past to take photos of a friend's Scottish Country Dancing activities and none have been satisfactory, so I gave up and now only take video any type of dancing.

Maureen ­ Souza
THREAD ­ STARTER
Ms. MODERATOR     Something Spectacular!
33,243 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Jun 27, 2016 17:50 |  #20

I am well, not sick... just going through a bout of insomnia so feel a bit drained. I have grandkids today-Thursday and a newborn coming tomorrow for a photo shoot. The good news is that I am taking the month of July basically off; I have one newborn due July 19 and we are going to make a 5 day run to Niagara Falls, then come back to visitors from the East Coast. Not exactly taking a month off but squeezing in a little time for some R&R.

I will not be here to participate July 4 & 11 but I am taking my Pro1 on our trip to hope to find some shots to use in upcoming challenges.

Life is hard...but I just take it one photograph at a time.

5DMK4
7DMK2
Canon Lenses: 50/1.4, 135/2.0, 100-400mm II, 24-70/2.8 II

JimAskew
Cream of the Crop
7,445 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Jun 27, 2016 18:48 |  #21

Congratulations to OhLook, Raven, and Sibil...excellent entries indeed! I will have to admit that I was stumped on this challenge so I came up with my "Dancing Shadows" photo while watching TV the other night...I glanced up and it hit me...the shadows from the ceiling fan were dancing across the ceiling :-) Thank you to OhLook and Sibil for recognizing my attempt.

As a wedding photographer I have 1000's of dance photos in my library but alas all made with my Pro gear. Here is a photo made with my 30D & 17-55 f/2.8 EF-S IS and my Speed Lite 580EX Flash that is one of my favorites :-) The expression on the Bride's face says it all!

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Jim -- I keep the Leica D-Lux 7 in the Glove Box just in case!
7D, G5X, 10-22MM EF-S, 17-55MM f/2.8 EF-S IS, 24-105MM f/4 EF L, Leica D-Lux 7

rpolitsr
5,977 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jun 2005

Jun 30, 2016 00:37 |  #22

Congratulations to the winners and to Maureen, the Host and Judge (A bit late, I know).
I thought I had the perfect photos for this challenge until I realized all were shot wit a DSLR :(

It was exactly two years ago: 29 June 2014, the Closing Gala of the Ballet Academy of my little granddaughter.
They presented, with the help of the National Ballet, a fully staged 'Sleeping Beauty' by Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky.
The youngest ladies were the Little Red Riding Hoods. Of course, there was a wolf, and the Wicked Fairy Godmother was there as Carabosse, but she looked like Maleficent, after the Disney characters.

The young teens looked and danced almost as professional 'ballerinas'. There were no male kids in the courses, they were chosen among the youngest professionals of the National Ballet.

It is not the Imperial Mariinsky Theatre, but it was a great performance.
I set the highest usable ISO (800) and used the stage lighting that was great.
Enjoy the thumbnails bellow. If you like, click the links for a slightly larger images in my online gallery, or click on each gallery image to see the next photo of the set.

My granddaughter, after the show (external link).

IMAGE: http://rpolitsr.rafaelpolit.com/potngserieschall/591_valencaperusita_IMG_6044_384px.jpg

IMAGE: http://rpolitsr.rafaelpolit.com/potngserieschall/591_seisthumbs.jpg

The good fairies (external link).
the Liliac Fairy, I think (external link).
Carabosse (Maleficent) and her evil group (external link).
about to wake up (external link).
The group of the Little Red Riding Hoods (external link).
Florine? of the Blue Bird group (external link).

rafael
Canon EOS Rebel XT, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 II, EF 50mm f1.8 II, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM, speedlite 430EX, basic filters set.
My photo galleries (external link)
Marketplace: PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED IN POTN

teekay
Goldmember
3,037 posts
Joined Apr 2001

Jun 30, 2016 10:44 |  #23

All beautiful photos, Rafael, and if your camera had been eligible you would have surely walked away with the top spot this week.:-)

rpolitsr
5,977 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jun 2005

Jun 30, 2016 14:36 as a reply to  @ teekay's post |  #24

Thank you, teekay. Not my merit at all. I went there with the idea of shooting a few pictures of my little Red Riding Hood and enjoy. I was surprised by the quality of the presentation, far above the usual level of an academy course closure and decided to take as many pictures as possible. The drawback was that I saw the show mostly through the small viewfinder.

rafael
Canon EOS Rebel XT, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 II, EF 50mm f1.8 II, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM, speedlite 430EX, basic filters set.
My photo galleries (external link)
Marketplace: PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED IN POTN

CarloY
681 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jul 03, 2016 08:00 |  #25

rpolitsr wrote in post #18054406 (external link)
The drawback was that I saw the show mostly through the small viewfinder.

Great captures, and sometimes that is the point... to capture the moments.

Perhaps a sacrifice, to record, rather than enjoy. But it gives your grand-daughter a view, a perspective of herself, and an appreciation. All-in-all, an affirmation no doubt.

All the best,
Carlo

G9's... enthusiast and hobby clicker... toying w/ Canon 2x Tele & Raynox .7x Wide.

sponsored links

8,028 views & 13 likes for this thread
POTN G-Series Speed Challenge # 591: Dance
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.