Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
Thread started 22 Jun 2016 (Wednesday) 11:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Hasselblad Medium Format Mirrorless X1D

idkdc
Goldmember
2,838 posts
Joined Oct 2014

Jun 23, 2016 23:17 |  #16

I like the fact that it uses a Nikon TTL hot shoe. No waiting around for 10 years for flash manufacturers to make a compatible flash...not that I've used TTL in awhile...but for 9K, nice to know it's always an option and not another system for the flash manufacturers to spend R&D on.

Nikon Z7 / D850 | Canon C200 / 1DXII | Fujifilm XT2

sponsored links
Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,901 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Jun 24, 2016 09:34 |  #17

markd61 wrote in post #18048369 (external link)
Actually I think it was a very smart move on their part.

Leaf shutter lenses have a lot of advantages, chief among them the ability to sync flash at all speeds.
THAT is enormously important to pros and other users of flash for the ability to utilize the full power of their flashes in bright conditions without resorting to ND filters or HSS or Hypersync.

Another advantage for Hasselblad is the fact that they can control the lens market to a degree that cannot be done with a FP shutter. Hasselblad has announced two lenses that cover a lot of bases for the pro and amateur at prices, though high, are actually very reasonable for the low production world of MF lenses.
Their job is to ensure a good supply of lenses in the future that make the platform valuable.

Remember when Sony introduced the A7 line with a single 55 mm f1.8 lens? It was a superb lens but left the body wanting for more. As a consequence thousands of people view the A7x line as a platform for any lens they want thus depriving Sony of revenue that could be used to expand the line. I know several Canon shooters who have no intention of buying Sony lenses for their A7RIIs and revel in using their adapted Canon lenses with full AF.

The X1D is a new breed of cat for the MF world and it remains to be seen how new users will implement it in their work. For me, with the existing lenses, it would handle about 80% of my work. If they offer some UWA lenses or even a TS lens then it can cover my architectural work also. In all cases the leaf shutter would be a giant help.

i'm not making an argument for support for focal plane shutter.

Lots of old leaf shutter lenses out there that could be used today. SONY introduced the camera with the ability to coexist with other lenses and then continued to fill out their line of glass. Not that the H system is lacking prime lens options.

The first adjective they use to describe the camera is "portability". Carrying around 5 primes at a cost of 20 thousand dollars doesn't seem to fit with the stated portability goals of this camera. Again, not that there aren't people ready and willing to do it.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

idkdc
Goldmember
2,838 posts
Joined Oct 2014

Jun 24, 2016 11:23 |  #18

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18048762 (external link)
i'm not making an argument for support for focal plane shutter.

Lots of old leaf shutter lenses out there that could be used today. SONY introduced the camera with the ability to coexist with other lenses and then continued to fill out their line of glass. Not that the H system is lacking prime lens options.

The first adjective they use to describe the camera is "portability". Carrying around 5 primes at a cost of 20 thousand dollars doesn't seem to fit with the stated portability goals of this camera. Again, not that there aren't people ready and willing to do it.

Portability is relative. Also, you're conflating cost with portability. That said, hopefully Fuji makes something as well to compete in this new segment.

Nikon Z7 / D850 | Canon C200 / 1DXII | Fujifilm XT2

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
43,071 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 4 years ago by Wilt. (3 edits in all)

Jun 25, 2016 11:09 |  #19

MalVeauX wrote in post #18048375 (external link)
This seems really interesting. I'm one of those "wants a medium format" people who can't afford it. I also know that in many ways, some modern full frame offerings are so close now that it's sort of not a big deal now (like Sony's latest). But I just really like the idea of medium format mirrorless body, that is slim and small for the format, you could walk around with this and enjoy it and not feel like you're carrying a 90's video camera with a big cassette tape inside. And I absolutely like the idea of the shutter and how it syncs, that is awesome, as I do a lot of lighting work in the sun with my strobes. Plus I just like the look of the large sensor in terms of how depth of field looks with things like even 70~100mm lenses with apertures around F2.8 or F4 even. Just interesting for portrait and general shooting.

I want.

But I'll wait 10 years when it's maybe $1k and affordable for me... :D

Agreed! When I was single and earning plenty of disposable income, it was easy enough to justify to myself spending 3X film SLR for a medium format camera. In 1992 you could get a medium format SLR with metering prism, back, and a normal lens for $3100...about 2-3x what you would pay for a top 135 format SLR ($1000-1800). But $9000 today gets you a medium format body only with no lens, in the case of the X1D; add another $2300 for a normal lens.

In 1992, the CPI was 140, whereas now it is 240...things should cost 1.7x more today than 25 years ago.

1. The $1500 135 format 1992 film SLR would be $2550 today, and you can get a 5DIII for that.
  2. The $3100 1992 medium format film camera today would be $5300...but $6000 only gets you a digital-capable body (Mamiya 645), but no lens and no digital back, you pay $14000 for a usable kit!
  3. Maintaining the same 2-3x price differential for 135 vs. MF should mean $7500 for a full kit digital medium format, not a body-only expense!

The cost-benefit of digital medium format puts it a long way off from even a typical single techie earning a fat salary from spending 1/3 of a BMW price on a camera.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Echo63
Goldmember
2,868 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Post edited over 4 years ago by Echo63.

Jun 26, 2016 22:40 |  #20

Charlie wrote in post #18047459 (external link)
I'm thinking it has to be priced lower.

Choice based on name alone:

Hasselblad vs Fuji...............

everyone knows hassy for MF, fuji what/who?

Are you talking about the Fuji that made the H1 (GX645 AF) and lenses for Hasselblad ?
And the X Pan (TX1) ?

And their own MF rangefinders and the big GX680 SLR with movements.

Yea, they have no idea about MF.

This new Hassy does look pretty interesting.
If i could justify the cost (and wasnt issued a bunch of gear already) i would probably wind up with one.

Things i like
1. Leaf Shutter - 1/2000 sync using all of the flash pulse.

2. Portability - its tiny and rather light.
Perfect for lugging into the wilderness.
Or reduces the need for stacks of gear for commercial shoots
It also makes a perfect backup for photographers using a big H series SLR

3. The initial lens kit - a ff equivalent of 35+70mm will work for a lot of photographers.

4. Nikon TTL hotshoe.
This is a great idea, no waiting for a ttl solution like fuji/sony etc - leverages all the existing nikon compatible flash - Nikon SB, Phottix, Yongnuo, Godox, Profoto etc...

I cant afford one at the moment, and i cant really justify it, given the issued gear and a personally owned leica, but if i were running my own business and could convince the wife - i would have one in a heartbeat

My Best Imageswww.echo63.deviantart.​com (external link)
Gear listhttps://photography-on-the.net …p?p=2463426&pos​tcount=385

FTb
539 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jun 2014
Post edited over 3 years ago by FTb.

Jun 30, 2016 12:07 |  #21

Anybody know if it can use the older, excellent, Hasselblad focal plane shutter lenses like the 150mm Sonnar? I imagine it's not the same mount but maybe via adapter?

My flickr (external link)
Favorite lenses: Canon 200mm f2, 16-35 f/4, 24-70mm f2.8, 50/1.2L, 85/1.2L II, 135/2L, 70-200L IS II, TS-E 17mm f/4L, RF 24-105, RF 35mm f1.8

Echo63
Goldmember
2,868 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Post edited over 3 years ago by Echo63.

Jun 30, 2016 13:16 |  #22

FTb wrote in post #18054305 (external link)
Anybody know if it can use the older, excellent, Hasselblad focal plane shutter lenses like the 150mm Sonnar? I imagine it's not the same mount but maybe via adapter?

There is an adaptor for the electronically controlled H series lenses.

There hasnt been an adapter announced yet for the older lenses from the "V" series bodies.

Shame there is no FP shutter on the body to allow use with LF lenses on a "technical camera" with tilts, swings and shifts.
That big mount and sensor with a short "mirror box" is just begging to be used on a technical camera.

My Best Imageswww.echo63.deviantart.​com (external link)
Gear listhttps://photography-on-the.net …p?p=2463426&pos​tcount=385

markd61
60 posts
Joined Apr 2011
Post edited over 3 years ago by markd61.

Jun 30, 2016 23:48 |  #23

Echo63 wrote in post #18054353 (external link)
There is an adaptor for the electronically controlled H series lenses.

There hasnt been an adapter announced yet for the older lenses from the "V" series bodies.

Shame there is no FP shutter on the body to allow use with LF lenses on a "technical camera" with tilts, swings and shifts.
That big mount and sensor with a short "mirror box" is just begging to be used on a technical camera.

While Hasselblad claims there is no electronic shutter capability, it seems that as it is video capable there is a possibility it could be added via firmware.
OTOH, Hasselblad has zero incentive to facilitate the use of non-Hasselblad lenses.

I could see a TS lens very easily on this mount as lenses in shutters for 6x9 and 4x5 film are very small and only need the barrel and associated electronics.
Yes, I know its more involved than that but that is the crux of the challenge.

If this body becomes popular adapters offering simple shutters may appear to allow the use of shutter-less lenses. But I would not hold my breath.

potinam
36 posts
Joined Jul 2016

Jul 20, 2016 11:39 |  #24

Yeaaaa I want one maybe two.. but... kindda too expensive.

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
19,918 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 20, 2016 13:11 |  #25

Waiting for Fuji one. Hopefully it is cheaper and comes soon.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

sponsored links

7,330 views & 11 likes for this thread
Hasselblad Medium Format Mirrorless X1D
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.