Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 24 Jun 2016 (Friday) 12:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Photoshop CC 2015.5

groundloop
981 posts
Joined Jun 2012
Post edited over 3 years ago by groundloop.

Jun 24, 2016 12:22 |  #1

I just upgraded my Photoshop CC to 2015.5 and I'm liking the enhancements a lot. Face Aware Liquify is fantastic, but IMO even more useful than that is the Select And Mask workspace. I've always had trouble masking hair, with this enhancement I'm able to get some pretty darned good results fairly easily.

I'd like to learn more about the subtleties of Select And Mask, so far I haven't been able to find any good tutorials online - probably just too soon for them. If anyone has found a good one can you post a link?

sponsored links
AZGeorge
Goldmember
2,636 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 25, 2016 18:33 |  #2

I agree on the new Select and Mask, Even if it turns oout there's nothing new under the hood the user interface is really nice.

Julieanne Kost has a good albeit not terribly detailed tutorial.

http://www.jkost.com/p​hotoshop.html (external link)

George
Democracy Dies in Darkness

shumicse
160 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Jun 30, 2016 03:51 |  #3

I found the following tutorial on this, hope it will give you some idea on select and mask. Here it is - http://photoshopcafe.c​om …in-photoshop-cc-tutorial/ (external link)

groundloop
THREAD ­ STARTER
981 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jun 30, 2016 08:26 as a reply to  @ shumicse's post |  #4

I guess what I'm looking for is some detailed instruction on the use of the refine edge tool.

In general I can get pretty good results separating hair from background on most photos. However, when there's not good contrast between hair and background the results are less than spectacular.

chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Jun 30, 2016 09:30 |  #5

Let me preface this by saying that I'm a PS nutcase and have watched both tutorials, but have not tried them.
Any selection process done in PS relies on differences of some kind between the subject and the background...
the more stark the differences, the better the selection. There's a reason "green screens" are popular in Hollywood.
Additionally, superior IQ is very important, you will not get good selections if that hair is not pixel sharp.

Those tutorials look good, but, don't expect them to be perfect in all scenarios.

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43 (external link)

Tedder
378 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jul 01, 2016 20:27 |  #6

groundloop wrote in post #18054096 (external link)
...When there's not good contrast between hair and background the results are less than spectacular.

I've found that it helps to add a curves layer and increase the contrast before making the initial selection. Then refine the mask. Afterward, delete the curves layer.

Tedder Stephenson's Flickr (external link)
Various Items (external link) Mineral Matters (external link) The Bench (external link) Tracks (external link) Cars and Stripes (external link) Behind the Wheel (external link) Shadows of Turning (external link) Circles of Confusion (external link) Waterous Disturbulations (external link)

groundloop
THREAD ­ STARTER
981 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jul 02, 2016 17:12 |  #7

Tedder wrote in post #18055505 (external link)
I've found that it helps to add a curves layer and increase the contrast before making the initial selection. Then refine the mask. Afterward, delete the curves layer.

Excellent suggestion, I'll give it a try.

twists ­ n ­ turns
180 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Apr 2016
Post edited over 3 years ago by twists n turns.

Jul 30, 2016 04:48 |  #8

Im reverting back to the previous version as Nik collection keeps crashing now. Yes, I will admit ive become somewhat reliant on it for my workflow. Just some of the presets in CEfex i like to use mostly. Just works so easy and the control points are great.

Il have to shake it off eventually but i have some pics of a little job needing done over the next couple of days. But for now i think id rather have access to Nik collection over face distortion technology. ...I've did enough of that for my characters in computer games over the years!  :p Yes the select & mask is cool too. and i do like the interface too.

A real shame :(

twists ­ n ­ turns
180 posts
Joined Apr 2016

Jul 30, 2016 05:15 |  #9

Well. Its still crashing even after reverting back to 2015 and uninstalling and reinstalling Nik.
Still getting ''Photoshop has stopped working'' crash when i open CE4 :(

Anyone any ideas please? -?

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,482 posts
Joined Apr 2005
Post edited over 3 years ago by tzalman.

Jul 30, 2016 09:05 as a reply to  @ twists n turns's post |  #10

I know it is small comfort, but I am having no problem invoking any of the Nik filters from 2015.5, other than that they are rather slow in opening and also in processing the new layer - but essentially, no problem.

Windows 10. PSCC updated last week to 2015.5

Elie / אלי

twists ­ n ­ turns
180 posts
Joined Apr 2016

Jul 30, 2016 09:18 as a reply to  @ tzalman's post |  #11

lol, no worries thanks. Hmm good to know.

After i had uninstalled .5, and onto 2015. I seen a tip online to try resetting your preferences when you open PS> and re open. Hasn't crashed yet thankfully.
I wonder if that's all i needed to do to get it running smoothly on .5 too? ..But then you didn't have to do this im guessing.

il give it a go during the week i think. Im happy just editing away atm.

lukasgunar
302 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2007

Aug 02, 2016 08:18 as a reply to  @ twists n turns's post |  #12

Hi mate,
this might get pretty complex as I was struggling with Nik for a long time but general starting point would be to try to uninstall Nik and reinstall it.
If you save your presets (if you have any) you have nothing to lose and it will take no more than 5 minutes to do so.
Good luck!

Canon EOS 5D MkIV, Canon EOS 30D

Canon 16-35 f/4L IS, Canon 17-40 f/4L, Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, Canon EF 50mm f/1.4, Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, Canon Speedlite 580EXII

sponsored links

3,423 views & 2 likes for this thread
Photoshop CC 2015.5
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.