Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 02 Jul 2016 (Saturday) 16:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Buy a new Ultrabook?

Archibald
You must be quackers!
9,068 posts
Gallery: 414 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008

Jul 02, 2016 16:13 |  #1

Here's the situation.

I have a good ASUS laptop, i7, 8GB, 15.6 inch screen, works fine. It runs Lightroom and is slow, but manageable if I don't have to do too many pics. This laptop is 4 years old. The problem with it is that it is bulky and heavy, and has a bulky and heavy AC adapter. It is a pain to take on a trip.

So I have been looking at maybe replacing it with an Ultrabook. These are much smaller and lighter and very neat looking, but very expensive. One of these would be much easier to take along on trips, and also much better for use while on the plane.

But these expensive Ultrabooks seem to use i5 chips. So my question is whether they would end up being even slower than my existing bulky Asus.

Sony RX10 IV, Canon 7D2, Canon 90D, assorted Canon lenses
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

sponsored links
MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,283 posts
Gallery: 1696 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Jul 02, 2016 16:17 |  #2

Heya,

It will be a little slower. But, latest Lightroom, etc, utilizes GPU I think and multiple core as more options, so maybe you could look into that side of things?

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

Archibald
THREAD ­ STARTER
You must be quackers!
9,068 posts
Joined May 2008
Post edited over 3 years ago by Archibald.

Jul 03, 2016 01:43 |  #3

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the old i7 will be faster than the new i5.

However, the old ASUS has a hard drive, whereas the Ultrabooks I'm looking at have SSDs...

C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

tim
Light Bringer
50,981 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jul 03, 2016 15:54 |  #4

Are you wanting to have a quick look at images or do bulk processing and export? A modern i5 with an SSD will be plenty fast, no problem for light use.

You can't just say i5 vs i7, there's a huge range of performance. Find the exact models and look for real world benchmarks. Things like CPUBenchmark are deceptive, they say my 5 year old i7 is almost as fast as a new one, which the real world benchmarks disprove for things like video encoding.

I have a Toshiba Ultrabook that I like, for work, but they're replacing them all with Microsoft Surface. No idea about cost I don't pay for them.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

Archibald
THREAD ­ STARTER
You must be quackers!
9,068 posts
Joined May 2008

Jul 03, 2016 16:12 |  #5

tim wrote in post #18057057 (external link)
Are you wanting to have a quick look at images or do bulk processing and export? A modern i5 with an SSD will be plenty fast, no problem for light use.

The main use will be to cull and back up. I find LR to be very good for culling when (say) I have several near-identical shots but want to find the one with sharpest focus and delete the rest. I will be doing some editing too, but will leave most of that for after the trip.

In the past I did quite a bit of editing while travelling, even posting finished pics, but have reduced that a lot. It takes too much time, and I get better results at home. Maybe I should just eliminate the editing, and cull using more suitable programs (like Perfect Browse?).

You can't just say i5 vs i7, there's a huge range of performance. Find the exact models and look for real world benchmarks. Things like CPUBenchmark are deceptive, they say my 5 year old i7 is almost as fast as a new one, which the real world benchmarks disprove for things like video encoding.

I have already looked up a comparison between my i7 with the i5 in a new Dell Ultrabook, and the old i7 easily beats the new i5. But the HDD vs SSD may make that comparison moot.

C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

tim
Light Bringer
50,981 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jul 03, 2016 16:27 |  #6

For culling you don't need much. Use Fast Picture Viewer (external link) or Photo Mechanic, the former will run fast on an i3 with 4GB of RAM.

For culling IO is probably as important as processor. I think a modern i5 will be more than powerful enough.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

Scoobert
Goldmember
1,176 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2013
Post edited over 3 years ago by Scoobert.

Jul 04, 2016 11:35 |  #7

Check out the Yoga series. Small, fast, light and an IPS screen. They always offer one with an i7.

Currently running this one after selling the 13" yoga.

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …_14_thinkpad_x1​_yoga.html (external link)

Downside is the 14" screen size is too small for some but it is a 1440 IPS.

mrfixitx
607 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Jul 04, 2016 12:08 |  #8

Look at the Hp spectre x360 or the Dell xps 13. I have the Hp spectre from a year ago and for an ultrabook its fit my needs for a good balance of portability with good battery life and performance. The SSD help alot and I really like that it comes with a good quality IPS screen that is touch enabled by default. Some of the other brands charge extra for touch..

Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made in establishing tonal relationships! - Ansel Adams (external link)
http://www.brandons-photography.com/ (external link)

Archibald
THREAD ­ STARTER
You must be quackers!
9,068 posts
Joined May 2008

Jul 04, 2016 12:42 |  #9

Yoga, Dell XPS, interesting choices.

I was looking at the Asus UX303UB, because it is available in a local brick-and-mortar store, and we have a Postal Service strike looming, so local is looking better than mail order for now. This particular Asus offers an i7 processor, roomy SSD, and the delicious 3200x1800 resolution screen. Downsides are that yellow is not reproduced correctly, and the high res QHD screen gives tiny text and icons on many applications (scaling is not right). Lots of software including Adobe products are affected. There is a fix available for the scaling, but it ruins the graphics rendition. So what's the point then?

There is a normal 1920x1080 res Asus available with an i5. It should be just fine for what I need. And of course it is cheaper as well.

I see the Dell is available locally at Best Buy. The SSD is tiny, but I better have a look.

C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

Archibald
THREAD ­ STARTER
You must be quackers!
9,068 posts
Joined May 2008

Jul 14, 2016 18:34 |  #10

So I settled on a Dell XPS 13 ultrabook. It has an i5, 8 GB RAM and a 256 GB SSD. Took delivery yesterday and it works great. Lightroom is responsive enough. Storage is sufficient for now, but can be augmented with an external drive later if need be.

It is light and compact, has good battery life, and will be just the companion on photo journeys.

C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

sponsored links

2,084 views & 0 likes for this thread
Buy a new Ultrabook?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.