Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 03 Jul 2016 (Sunday) 12:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Birmingham photo stops?

wisv1k
387 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2009

Jul 03, 2016 12:15 |  #1

I'm going to be traveling to Birmingham in two weeks for work. Any advice on things to see or good photo stops? It sure doesn't seem like there a whole lot around the area. I will have some free time on the weekends too. Thanks in advance!

sponsored links
groundloop
983 posts
Joined Jun 2012
Post edited over 3 years ago by groundloop.

Jul 03, 2016 12:53 |  #2

Which Birmingham? (UK, Alabama, ..... )

wisv1k
THREAD ­ STARTER
387 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jul 03, 2016 13:50 as a reply to  @ groundloop's post |  #3

Sorry, Alabama. Lol.

wisv1k
THREAD ­ STARTER
387 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jul 03, 2016 20:50 |  #4

Dang, I realize it's a holiday weekend but Birmingham must suck as bad as I thought...lol.

Tedder
384 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jul 03, 2016 23:34 as a reply to  @ wisv1k's post |  #5

I know nothing about Birmingham, Alabama, but I have seen shots of the Sloss Furnaces National Historic Landmark (external link) and would like to visit. If the colors and textures of ruined machinery and rusted metal sound photographically appealing, that'd make a good destination. Besides, a few pig-iron blast-furnace photos would make a fine addition to any portfolio.

The Wikipedia entry, which includes a few images, is here (external link).

Tedder Stephenson on Flickr (external link)

Nogo
POTN record for # of posts during "Permanent Ban"
8,128 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Dec 2013
Post edited over 3 years ago by Nogo.

Jul 04, 2016 00:12 |  #6

Are you looking to shoot in Birmingham or around Birmingham? There are a couple of climbing areas north of there but still within an hour or two drive that are good places for sports type photographs. The two places where you should be able to find plenty of climbing are Horse Pens 40 (external link) (46 minutes out of Birmingham) and Sand Rock (aka Cherokee Rock Village.) (external link) 1 hr. 28 minutes from Birmingham.

If you like cycling photography, there is a park south of town with both MTB trails and a BMX track. MTB Project (external link) and Oak Mountain BMX Track. (external link) The park is 30 miles south of Birmingham.

I believe all these places now have a minimal charge to enter. There are other places to take landscape shots. The waterfall in Gadsden is really nice especially if you make the hike down below it. To get there, you have to take a trail that is in the RV park on the other side of the waterfall from the park around it. https://www.tripadviso​r.com …ound-Gadsden_Alabama.html (external link) Gadsden is about an hour north of Birmingham.

In the southeast US mass transit pretty much does not exist so we expect to drive most everywhere we go. If you are not going to have an automotive and are actually relying on mass transit to get around in Birmingham, I don't have a clue where to go. :oops:

Philip

wisv1k
THREAD ­ STARTER
387 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jul 04, 2016 04:14 |  #7

Excellent. Thanks to both of you! I will have a car so this is an awesome start. Thanks again.

Nogo
POTN record for # of posts during "Permanent Ban"
8,128 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Jul 05, 2016 00:52 |  #8

If you are still there the first week in August, there is a yard sale that literally goes on for hundreds of miles starting in Gadsden. You are likely to see anything there. All that stop and go traffic drives me crazy but it is worth seeing at least one time in your life. If you like odd items from the 50's and the 60's or earlier there should be plenty of items to capture in photographs. http://www.127yardsale​.com/ (external link)

Philip

wisv1k
THREAD ­ STARTER
387 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jul 05, 2016 06:00 |  #9

Unfortunately I will be. The project will take 5 weeks. The sale seems quite interesting. I have never heard of or seen anything like that. Thanks for the suggestion!

mikeinctown
Goldmember
2,119 posts
Joined May 2012

Jul 06, 2016 15:36 |  #10

Shoot, I'd be driving around taking photos of every BBQ joint I came across. And all the food I ate as well. We don't have a lot of real BBQ joints in my area, so I'd welcome the opportunity to capture "culture".

wisv1k
THREAD ­ STARTER
387 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jul 06, 2016 19:27 |  #11

The food is one thing I am actually looking forward to. We don't have much for real bbq around here either. I was there for a week in October last year but did not have access to a car. This time I'll have a car and some free time.

wisv1k
THREAD ­ STARTER
387 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jul 25, 2016 20:40 as a reply to  @ Tedder's post |  #12

Thanks for the suggestions. I made it to Sloss and plan to get back before I head home. Next time with a tripod.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

wisv1k
THREAD ­ STARTER
387 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jul 25, 2016 20:41 |  #13

Two more

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

wisv1k
THREAD ­ STARTER
387 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jul 25, 2016 20:50 |  #14

Last one

HOSTED PHOTO

ArtHummel
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Joined Apr 2009
Post edited over 3 years ago by ArtHummel with reason 'Added info'.

Jul 26, 2016 06:28 as a reply to  @ wisv1k's post |  #15

Good job at Sloss!

Other suggestions:
Railroad Park at sunset (downtown across from baseball stadium)
Southern Museum of Flight (near airport)
Old train museum near Calera
Vulcan statue, good view of city, no tripods allowed on observation platform
Botanical Gardens (Mountain Brook)
Spillway at Helena
Barber Speedway and museum (I have not gone but it is on my list)
Downtown architecture in general and Morris Avenue
Lit tunnels near Morris Ave and RR Park

sponsored links

4,319 views & 3 likes for this thread
Birmingham photo stops?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.