Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 04 Jul 2016 (Monday) 19:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Looking for a camera...

brianodell
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Nov 2010
Post edited over 3 years ago by brianodell.

Jul 04, 2016 19:04 |  #1

I currently own a Canon 5d Mark iii, a 70d and an SL1. I'm constantly on the go, so I find myself taking a lot of pics with my iPhone 6 Plus, just because it's always on me. I'm looking for a camera that is "pocketable" or at least small enough to grab and go and constantly have on me that will be better quality than an iPhone. An all around easy to "pocket" and carry camera. Of course with more control...

Any suggestions?

sponsored links
farmer1957
901 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Jul 04, 2016 19:57 |  #2

brianodell wrote in post #18058000 (external link)
I currently own a Canon 5d Mark iii, a 70d and an SL1. I'm constantly on the go, so I find myself taking a lot of pics with my iPhone 6 Plus, just because it's always on me. I'm looking for a camera that is "pocketable" or at least small enough to grab and go and constantly have on me that will be better quality than an iPhone. An all around easy to "pocket" and carry camera. Of course with more control...

Any suggestions?

I had a canon G10 that was pretty handy. I think the new canon g15 or g16 sorry I am not up to date on what the newest power shot Canon is now offering .

kf095
Cream of the Crop
6,508 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Jul 04, 2016 20:20 |  #3

If you want it pocketable where are small P&S with zoom which phone doesn't have and it gives different pictures because of it. Some have AV, tv and M.
I'm using old Panasonic P&S with Leica zoom and it is better what phone gives me. Very small camera.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

gremlin75
Goldmember
2,727 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Jul 04, 2016 21:28 |  #4

Fuji x100 series?

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Jul 05, 2016 01:33 |  #5

I really like my extremely portable G15.

brianodell
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jul 06, 2016 11:01 |  #6

Any opinions on the Ricoh GR ii?

I've been looking at the Fuji X70 vs the X100T as well...

golfecho
(I will regret that)
1,887 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Jul 07, 2016 06:51 |  #7

Sony is making some really great (cutting edge) gear lately. Sony 6000?

Facebook (external link) or Website (external link)

chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Jul 07, 2016 08:55 |  #8

I would ask why you take pictures...are you merely filling your HD with inconsequential, spur of the moment images for which the I-Phone works quite well.
Otherwise, use what you have and plan your shoots as a professional would.

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43 (external link)

brianodell
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jul 07, 2016 09:11 |  #9

Exactly ^

The main reason for this other camera choice would mainly be for spur of the moment, street-like photography: something that could replace my smartphone. I don't carry the dslr's everywhere, of course, unless something is pre-planned.

mike_311
Checking squirrels nuts
3,761 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2011

Jul 07, 2016 14:06 |  #10

i just got a Olympus epl7. i love it. very small and still gets really good IQ.

Canon 5d mkii | Canon 17-40/4L | Tamron 24-70/2.8 | Canon 85/1.8 | Canon 135/2L
www.michaelalestraphot​ography.com (external link)
Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | About me

Tynone
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Jun 2016

Jul 08, 2016 03:50 |  #11

G15 i think nice!

brianodell
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jul 09, 2016 14:35 |  #12

Canon G15 vs G16?

And is there going to be a G16 successor this year? (G17?)

NCSA197
Goldmember
1,350 posts
Gallery: 130 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2011

Jul 17, 2016 07:21 |  #13

I would have to echo the G15, or whatever the current version is. When Canon was introducing the G16 I was able to purchase the G15 at a very attractive price. Perhaps you may be able to do the same if you try to catch a sale at transition time. For me, the additional features of the new model were nice, but the savings seemed even better as the updates weren't critical. And I am certain that other companies have a similar camera that will perform well. It seems difficult to buy a bad camera if a little thought and research is used. There are many great choices. From the replies so far, it seems a lot of folks do like the Canon model.

Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

3,248 views & 2 likes for this thread
Looking for a camera...
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.