Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 18 Sep 2015 (Friday) 07:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 7D Mark II Focus Issues - What is going on?

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
15,310 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Feb 25, 2016 20:46 |  #61

johnf3f wrote in post #17913225 (external link)
If it's any help I have used both case 1 and case 5 (servo mode only) on my 7D2 and haven't seen any difference! It is currently set on case 5 because I haven't bothered to try another mode as it just focuses.
I wouldn't get too hung up on the number of posts about the 7D2 AF system (some of them are mine!) as there are very few (though still too many) who have had real issues with the camera. There have certainly been some less than perfect examples (see Pondrader's posts) but the vast majority are excellent - mine and all the local ones certainly are. Persevere a bit before you make any decision as, assuming yours is working properly, you will have to spend a LOT of money to get a better AF system.

As an aside I am hoping to be in Alberta in July (big sister's big birthday) though I will be down south in Calgary. Really enjoyed my last visit in 2006 (Edmonton, Calgary and Jasper) - you have some lovely country there!

Case 1 will handle 80% of most of our shooting needs. 2 - 6 are just tweaks. To test this I went out and shot non erratic BIF. I shot in Cases 1, 2, 5 and 6 and I used single point, expansion and zone AF in all said cases and got great results.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

sponsored links
johnf3f
Goldmember
4,092 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010

Feb 25, 2016 20:54 as a reply to  @ digital paradise's post |  #62

I haven't used Zone AF - but it sounds like your experiences are similar to mine = very good!

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

ldn323
Goldmember
1,166 posts
Gallery: 359 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 08, 2016 15:12 |  #63

ldn323 wrote in post #17911024 (external link)
My 7D2 is on the way to Canon Service Center for this exact problem, i.e. inconsistent, unreliable AI Servo AF focus. My 1Dx + 100-400 II combination works like magic. My 7D2 + same 100-400 II combination always leaves me wondering "Did I get the shot or not?"
One shot AF is fine.
I'll post what Canon might say about my issue.

UPDATE: My 7D2 came back from service center today. Canon agreed with my complaint. This is what they have to say on the service details:

“… AF assembly did not operate properly … AI Servo function did not operate properly … the mirror box assembly has been replaced.”

Part replaced:
1. TAPE, FRONT PROOF (QTY 2)
2. TAPE, FRONT PROOF 2 (QTY 2)
3. COVER ASSEMBLY, TOP (QTY 1)
4. MIRROR BOX ASSEMBLY, WITH AF SENSOR (QTY 1)

I am excited. Can’t wait to check it out.

Linh
1Dx, 7D Mark II, XTi, Fujifilm X-T1, Fujifilm X100s, Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Contemporary, Canon 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS II, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS II, Canon 24-105mm f/4 L IS, Canon 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, Fujifilm XF 35mm f/2 R WR, Fujifilm XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
15,310 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 08, 2016 15:45 |  #64

ldn323 wrote in post #17928397 (external link)
UPDATE: My 7D2 came back from service center today. Canon agreed with my complaint. This is what they have to say on the service details:

“… AF assembly did not operate properly … AI Servo function did not operate properly … the mirror box assembly has been replaced.”

Part replaced:
1. TAPE, FRONT PROOF (QTY 2)
2. TAPE, FRONT PROOF 2 (QTY 2)
3. COVER ASSEMBLY, TOP (QTY 1)
4. MIRROR BOX ASSEMBLY, WITH AF SENSOR (QTY 1)

I am excited. Can’t wait to check it out.

You are not the first to have the mirror box replaced. Another member here had that done in about Jan of 2015. Glad it worked out for you.

Image Editing OK

JHobe6678
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Mar 2016

Mar 18, 2016 13:40 |  #65

digital paradise wrote in post #17928430 (external link)
You are not the first to have the mirror box replaced. Another member here had that done in about Jan of 2015. Glad it worked out for you.

Funny. I've been reading about this for nearly a year now. I got my 7D MII in April of last year. I exchanged it quickly with B&H because it wasn't focusing. I gave it a month or so of trial and error and couldn't get it to focus. I sent it in, got it back saying there were calibrations done.

It's not months later, I'm a little over a month away from the warranty being up and I still don't feel confident. I don't do any BIF photography really. Honestly I wanted the options and a good solid weathered body along with a good crop sensor. I've had several Rebel bodies before this and NONE gave me any issues close to this or at all. I have a hand full of lenses, ranging from Canon, Sigma and Tokina. Even a Tamron, but we won't go there. In fact, the Tamron lens hardly gets used because it's an 18-270 walk around. What I consider to be my lowest quality lens, so I can only imagine how bad the images would be. Otherwise I have a Sigma 50-150 APO 2.8, Sigman 17-55 2.8, Canon 50 1.8, Canon 85 1.8, Sigma 30 1.4, Tokina 11-22 2.8 and a Canon EF-S 18-135 (kit lens). None of these have given me a sharp image at all from this body.

So I wrote them yesterday and immediately they started to tell me my 3rd party lenses weren't compatible. Wait, what? I replied back with a rather angry email (kept it PG-13) and informed them that the Canon lenses were doing the exact same things. At all shutter speeds, apertures, ISO settings (Don't get me started about how dirty it gets above ISO 800). I also was told because I had them in DNG format in Lightroom, they couldn't verify the settings and I'd have to send them CR2 files. Ok so how are you going to compare the shots from my T4i to my 7D MKii? I don't store DNG AND CR2! SO I took some new shots. Blurry as all get out. Took more. Still blurry. I did them inside, outside, even shot at f/8 1/125 (I can keep a steady hand down to 1/60) and shot at 1/1000 shutter speed. Not one thing in the picture is clear. So it's not just focus, but clarity over all is nuts. I was shooting at trees with foliage around them so SOMETHING should have been in focus.

Long story short, I uploaded about 300MB of images to my dropbox, sent about 3 emails pointing to example shots and I'm waiting to hear their reply. As a courtesy though he said he sent me a pre-paid label to ship the body back and assured me I would have it back within a week or so. This is because I have a wedding to shoot towards the end of April.

After reading your post though, I'm wondering if the mirror box is my issue as well. It makes logical sense because the blurry images look like "shake" but at a ridiculously high rate. It's not motion blur, but like something is vibrating while the sensor captures. And I'm sorry but at 1/1000 shutter speed standing still on a calm day, tree bark should NOT seem blurry at all.

So thanks. Sorry for the long winded reply. First post on this forum. I don't really like joining Photo forums because some of us can be snobs lol. I consider myself to be more modest, even though I've got 15+ years and now 5 DSLR bodies under my belt.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,593 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 4 years ago by TeamSpeed.

Mar 18, 2016 14:50 |  #66

That really sounds like a lens issue. You should have had something in focus somewhere. When these 7D2s have issues, it is in certain situations at certain settings, not in every single shot, inside or out. Are you controlling the focus point, like center point? Do you have filters on your lenses?

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

gschlact
1,318 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 20, 2016 23:37 |  #67

TeamSpeed wrote in post #17939819 (external link)
That really sounds like a lens issue. You should have had something in focus somewhere. When these 7D2s have issues, it is in certain situations at certain settings, not in every single shot, inside or out. Are you controlling the focus point, like center point? Do you have filters on your lenses?

If there is motion or vibration in the system as he theorizes, nothing will be sharp within the dof. . I wonder what happens if he focuses on a light bulb against dark background, it would highlight any shake.

Steinn
115 posts
Gallery: 99 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Feb 2015

Mar 30, 2016 08:09 as a reply to  @ JHobe6678's post |  #68

We had the same issue with our 1st 7DII , just blurry birds all over, uses 5DIII and the old 7D with good result so my wife and I knows how it should be.. Awaiting a new one tomorrow so really exited to test it out and hopes this ones good. Everything else is just awsome on this machine.. But it should be able to grab SHARP photos. Uses 300/2.8L IS and 70-300L IS only for birds and should be compatible with this camera! Photo taken with 7DII and 70-300L IS and is not good!

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Stein Ø. Nilsen tromsofoto.net
Tromsø - Norway
Photo - Birdsound - Guide

Steinn
115 posts
Joined Feb 2015
Post edited over 3 years ago by Steinn.

Jun 13, 2016 08:17 as a reply to  @ Steinn's post |  #69

Well, we received a new copy from Adorama and it turned out being a Picture Taking Machine, much faster focus and fps than ever saw before! Birds in flight a piece of cake now! A bit disappointed on the amount of noise compared with 5Diii but of course better than the old 7D. This is a great camera if you get a good sample!!

Tromsø - Norway

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
15,310 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jun 13, 2016 08:22 |  #70

Steinn wrote in post #18037799 (external link)
Well, we received a new copy from Adorama and it turned out being a Picture Taking Machine, much faster focus and fps than ever saw before! Birds in flight a piece of cake now! A bit disappointed on the amount of noise compared with 5Diii but of course better than the old 7D. This is a great camera if you get a good sample!!

You can't compare it to the 5D3. The 7D and 7D2 are both light hungry machines. With good light and exposure you can do very well even with higher ISO's with the 7D2. I did some tests against my 5D3. As and example in heavy overcast conditions and with equal exposures the 5D3 produces much cleaner files. It is the nature of the beast.

Image Editing OK

Steinn
115 posts
Joined Feb 2015

Jun 13, 2016 08:28 as a reply to  @ digital paradise's post |  #71

I agree it's unfair to compare with the 5DIII but when you get used to the clean files you get grumpy when you get "worse" things to work with. But the response on flying birds etc. is fantastic, my wife shoots flying birds from the hip and gets fantastic results!
I have trouble with birds flying at me and she gets clear shots "all the time" with the 7DII ! Lets hope the 5DIV will be equal in performance :)

Tromsø - Norway

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
15,310 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jun 13, 2016 08:50 |  #72

Steinn wrote in post #18037807 (external link)
I agree it's unfair to compare with the 5DIII but when you get used to the clean files you get grumpy when you get "worse" things to work with. But the response on flying birds etc. is fantastic, my wife shoots flying birds from the hip and gets fantastic results!
I have trouble with birds flying at me and she gets clear shots "all the time" with the 7DII ! Lets hope the 5DIV will be equal in performance :)

Yes my 5D3 does very well in that department. Great AF. I just lose the reach. Yes I'm looking forward to the 5D4. I'm praying for 30 megapixels but I suspect 24 as listed at Canon Rumours. At 30 with 7 - 8 FPS may be enough to get me to owning a FF only. Going to one body only is kind of the direction I'm hoping for but you never know.

Image Editing OK

hania
919 posts
Joined Nov 2004
Post edited over 3 years ago by hania.

Jul 06, 2016 11:21 as a reply to  @ post 17910405 |  #73

I have the same problem - this is a warranty replacement ( the original got water under the lcd)- Its currently under repair a for bent hotshot.
I had mentioned that I was happy with the original camera, but not very impressed with the replacement. The repairer has run exhaustive tests, and even when the camera is rock solid, on a static target and being triggered by a laptop, the focus is, in their words "All over the place".

I was beginning to doubt myself - as I had razor sharp images with the 400 5.6 - but mostly unacceptably soft with this one....It was replaced on 11 July 2015.

I think I will let the supplier and repairer talk to each other.....

Gear List

RodS57
940 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Jul 24, 2016 14:33 |  #74

Haven't posted in this thread in a while but my saga with my 7D2 continues.

Using the tamron 150-600 mostly.
About a year ago tests indicated MFA was about +5 on the long end.

About four months ago I did MFA again, first at close range then at about 50FL. Came up with about -6 on the long end. Also always had that persistant focus shuffle where focus wouldn't settle in AI servo.

A couple of days ago I tried a long range MFA test. I ended up just disabling MFA again. At about the same time I switched to center spot focus point from my usual normal center point. For some reason I no longer get the focus shuffle any more. Need to figure out why focus in AI servo now acts as it should (ie it focuses then stops, no more focus motor chatter). I think the manual does warn that MFA may prevent proper focus operation.

Never a dull moment with this camera. :-)

Rod

>>> Pictures? What pictures? <<<<

rjharris
Goldmember
1,010 posts
Gallery: 71 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 08, 2016 10:51 as a reply to  @ RodS57's post |  #75

I've never been happy with my 7DII focus as well, until today. I just on a whim completely disabled the auto focus assist in the menu and my photos are way sharper than they were and much more consistent winners. Not saying it will work for you but you might try it.

sponsored links

25,174 views & 33 likes for this thread
Canon 7D Mark II Focus Issues - What is going on?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.