Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Urban Life & Travel Talk 
Thread started 07 Jul 2016 (Thursday) 15:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Whale-watching in Maine

ekinnyc
784 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jul 07, 2016 15:22 |  #1

hey all

i'll be going whale watching in maine in a couple of weeks, and was hoping to bring along a 70-200. what would be the best way to protect it (and my 6d) from spray/salt - i have a UV filter on the front of element, but how do i protect the rest of the lens/body?

i've seen a bunch of these lens rain hoods, but they all seem to cinch at the front, so not sure how well it protects - i guess itll protect from errant spray, but wanted to ask anyway

thanks!

6D| 35mm f/2 IS
Buying/Selling Feedback

sponsored links
MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,505 posts
Gallery: 1849 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Jul 07, 2016 15:25 |  #2

Heya,

Clear filter to simply collect the spray/salt.
Lens hood in place.
Rain coat over camera & lens and cinched around the lens hood (or even taped around the lens hood).
So that water only hits the hood & filter.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

ekinnyc
THREAD ­ STARTER
784 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jul 07, 2016 15:34 |  #3

something like this?

https://www.amazon.com …&keywords=lens+​rain+cover (external link)

6D| 35mm f/2 IS
Buying/Selling Feedback

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,505 posts
Gallery: 1849 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013
Post edited over 3 years ago by MalVeauX.

Jul 07, 2016 15:49 |  #4

Yup,

Any basic rain coat will keep the splashes off. Cheap and works.

I also have a Vortex Storm Jacket that I keep stuffed in my bag/pocket for when a down pour shows up. I got it in a deal with some other items and didn't realize what it was until I looked it up. It costs more, but it's a material that will last and it can be balled up and stuffed into small spots and it doesn't rip when you pull the cords tight. If you're looking for a long term splash guard, storm jackets are nice. But, if this is just for a trip, a $7 plastic rain coat is totally fine.

Again, I would just cinch and/or tape the coat to the lens hood and you're set, so it won't blow back in the wind or slip when it gets wet after some spray. You don't have to use a clear filter, but it may be necessary for complete water resistance on some lenses depending on what model you're using. Some swear by them just to avoid having to wash off salt after a few hours of use.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

ekinnyc
THREAD ­ STARTER
784 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jul 07, 2016 15:59 as a reply to  @ MalVeauX's post |  #5

thanks for the advice. i think the plain rain coat will work. i never shoot in harsh environments (mostly indoors), so this is my first time exposing my camera and a (borrowed from a friend) lens to the elements.

i have a B&W UV filter that i'll be using.

6D| 35mm f/2 IS
Buying/Selling Feedback

Larry ­ Johnson
Goldmember
1,313 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2011

Jul 07, 2016 16:24 as a reply to  @ ekinnyc's post |  #6

I went out on one of those tours last year. Stay inside the huge cabin for the long long ride out to sea. Get to the upper deck when they stop for a whale. Not before. Can't see much from shallow angle. My loss.

i also wore a large raincoat to put over the camera while en route.

flickr (external link)

Mr_ipsum
321 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Jul 14, 2016 14:34 |  #7

Where in Maine are you going whale watching?

RichardCervellonePhoto​graphy.com (external link) | Follow me on Instagram (external link)

ekinnyc
THREAD ­ STARTER
784 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jul 14, 2016 22:18 as a reply to  @ Mr_ipsum's post |  #8

out of bar harbor i think

6D| 35mm f/2 IS
Buying/Selling Feedback

Mr_ipsum
321 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Jul 15, 2016 13:42 |  #9

I'm planning a potential trip up that way for Acadia National Park and was looking at the whale watching trips in Bar Harbor too. Let us know how it goes.

RichardCervellonePhoto​graphy.com (external link) | Follow me on Instagram (external link)

Larry ­ Johnson
Goldmember
1,313 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2011
Post edited over 3 years ago by Larry Johnson. (2 edits in all)

Jul 15, 2016 14:57 |  #10

Mr_ipsum wrote in post #18067907 (external link)
I'm planning a potential trip up that way for Acadia National Park and was looking at the whale watching trips in Bar Harbor too. Let us know how it goes.

ekinnyc wrote in post #18067292 (external link)
out of bar harbor i think

I went out of Bar Harbor last year. I enjoyed the Puffin tour (offered by another company) better than the whale watching. Stood out on the pulpit of the boat when they arrived at the island and shot away while boat was bouncing up and down. Got a decent Puffin in flight shot. Can be seen on my flickr page.

Also, at Acadia NP, everyone watches the sunrise from the top of Cadillac Mountain. Increadable view.

If you get the chance, drive to Moosehead lake area (Greenville) and take a canoe tour for moose with one of the two companies in town. Got great shots of moose and a few loon.

...and don't forget to buy a whoopie pie!

flickr (external link)

ekinnyc
THREAD ­ STARTER
784 posts
Joined Mar 2011
Post edited over 3 years ago by ekinnyc.

Jul 25, 2016 12:30 |  #11

Mr_ipsum wrote in post #18067907 (external link)

it was great. got lucky with spotting a bunch of seals, a dolphin, and 2 types of whales. no breaching unfortunately but plenty of tail shots.

went with Bar Harbor Whale Watch Co (not sure if they are the only ones that do this). the boat ("Puffin") was pretty big, probably 2-300 people on board. i was overly worried about getting sea spray on my camera/lens, i dont think i got any misting. i suggest staying on the side of the 2nd deck while you go to the watching area (about 50 min trip each way), but make your way to the front once you get there. most of the whale sightiings were on the port (left) side, but YMMV

Larry Johnson wrote in post #18067978 (external link)
I went out of Bar Harbor last year. I enjoyed the Puffin tour (offered by another company) better than the whale watching. Stood out on the pulpit of the boat when they arrived at the island and shot away while boat was bouncing up and down. Got a decent Puffin in flight shot. Can be seen on my flickr page.

Also, at Acadia NP, everyone watches the sunrise from the top of Cadillac Mountain. Increadable view.

If you get the chance, drive to Moosehead lake area (Greenville) and take a canoe tour for moose with one of the two companies in town. Got great shots of moose and a few loon.

...and don't forget to buy a whoopie pie!

def want to do a puffin tour when i go back next year. unfortunately Mooshead lake is 3hrs north of where my gf's family owns a house, so that would be a challenge - maybe an overnight trip is in order.

6D| 35mm f/2 IS
Buying/Selling Feedback

gv0861
213 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Aug 04, 2016 21:47 |  #12

Hi,
I went out last summer and brought the same lens/camera combo. I stayed inside the cabin on the way out and stepped out to the bow of the boat once the whales were spotted. In hindsight, I wish I would have brought my 60D for the 1.6 crop factor which would have made that lens a 112-320 for a little extra reach. Specially when the whales were breaching.
It was a sunny day when we went out, but have used a rain sleeve on trips to the zoo. And they worked fine.

Looking for light in all the right places.

sponsored links

3,363 views & 0 likes for this thread
Whale-watching in Maine
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Urban Life & Travel Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.