Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 28 Apr 2016 (Thursday) 03:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Unwelcome news - digital version of EOS magazine on my iPad

alan_potter
wireless groping system
2,327 posts
Gallery: 164 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2005

May 19, 2016 07:40 |  #16

Utterly despicable. I would expect that when you buy digital versions of content, it's yours for life - and companies like Audible to have that business model.

I would be making it very clear that there is no way I would buy anything more from a company screwing you as EOS magazine has done.

Falkirk, Scotland.
Project 365 Blog (external link) | flickr (external link)

sponsored links
Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,154 posts
Gallery: 140 photos
Joined Dec 2008

May 19, 2016 11:40 |  #17

alan_potter wrote in post #18011918 (external link)
Utterly despicable. I would expect that when you buy digital versions of content, it's yours for life - and companies like Audible to have that business model.

But they would contend that you are not buying digital content, but that rather, you are buying termed access to digital content. Do people think that when you subscribe to Netflix that you should be entitled to download all of the movies there and keep them on your hard drive forever? What is the difference?

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

eosmag
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined May 2016

May 19, 2016 11:48 |  #18

Hi Dennis,

Just thought I'd say hello and add some comments as the publisher of EOS magazine.

Our iOS app gives you unlimited access to all content therein for the duration of your subscription. Tom Reichner is spot-on with his comparison to Netflix. Whilst this might seem as money-grabbing, there's much more at play than a simple 'give us your money or we'll take your mags away'.

The EOS magazine apps (iOS, Android and Kindle) contain issues from 2008 onwards, giving you 30 issues for a fairly nominal annual subscription. Accessing the full content in this way has its benefits – you get access to the powerful search tool, you can find relevant information in older issues and get to read new issues as they're published. It is pretty good value as you're getting rather a lot of information for less than £20/$30 a year. A print subscription is £21.95 a year (UK) for four issues.

When the app was built for us, we bought an off-the-shelf version, which is maintained by our supplier (meaning your response from the Support Desk wasn't from the magazine team itself). We're a small independent publisher – customisation wasn't an option. That's why, by having the extra content in there, we felt that the trade-off was acceptable.

Our app has just been upgraded to allow for single issue purchases – at £5.99 a time. With this method once you purchase an issue, it remains yours forever.

Here at EOS magazine we're still passionate about print. In fact our preferred – and most popular – subscription type is the print+digital bundle. With the arrival of the new app, this also now includes full app access, meaning you can enjoy the magazine in its printed glory every quarter, delve into the digital library on your computer (and download PDFs for offline reading) and also access the app on-the-go.

Replicating the old-style publishing subscription model in this digital era is not an easy task – I hope the explanation above goes some way towards acknowledging this. Our ultimate goal is to bring EOS magazine to more Canon EOS photographers and helping them learn and grow, using the tools made available to us.

Perhaps the shackles are in fact more on the publisher than the reader after all...

I hope that your experience hasn't put you off EOS magazine and we look forward to welcoming you back as a subscriber, whether it's print, digital or app.:-)

Kind regards,

Claire

Claire Barrett
EOS magazine

nardes
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,102 posts
Gallery: 153 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Jun 2009

May 19, 2016 15:44 |  #19

eosmag wrote in post #18012137 (external link)
Hi Dennis,

Just thought I'd say hello and add some comments as the publisher of EOS magazine.

Our iOS app gives you unlimited access to all content therein for the duration of your subscription. Tom Reichner is spot-on with his comparison to Netflix. Whilst this might seem as money-grabbing, there's much more at play than a simple 'give us your money or we'll take your mags away'.

The EOS magazine apps (iOS, Android and Kindle) contain issues from 2008 onwards, giving you 30 issues for a fairly nominal annual subscription. Accessing the full content in this way has its benefits – you get access to the powerful search tool, you can find relevant information in older issues and get to read new issues as they're published. It is pretty good value as you're getting rather a lot of information for less than £20/$30 a year. A print subscription is £21.95 a year (UK) for four issues.

When the app was built for us, we bought an off-the-shelf version, which is maintained by our supplier (meaning your response from the Support Desk wasn't from the magazine team itself). We're a small independent publisher – customisation wasn't an option. That's why, by having the extra content in there, we felt that the trade-off was acceptable.

Our app has just been upgraded to allow for single issue purchases – at £5.99 a time. With this method once you purchase an issue, it remains yours forever.

Here at EOS magazine we're still passionate about print. In fact our preferred – and most popular – subscription type is the print+digital bundle. With the arrival of the new app, this also now includes full app access, meaning you can enjoy the magazine in its printed glory every quarter, delve into the digital library on your computer (and download PDFs for offline reading) and also access the app on-the-go.

Replicating the old-style publishing subscription model in this digital era is not an easy task – I hope the explanation above goes some way towards acknowledging this. Our ultimate goal is to bring EOS magazine to more Canon EOS photographers and helping them learn and grow, using the tools made available to us.

Perhaps the shackles are in fact more on the publisher than the reader after all...

I hope that your experience hasn't put you off EOS magazine and we look forward to welcoming you back as a subscriber, whether it's print, digital or app.:-)

Kind regards,

Claire

Hello, Claire

Thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately, the experience has put me off and when the subscription period runs its course, I will not be renewing.

From the user perspective, I had several years’ editions of the magazine on my iPad and enjoyed the content as a recreational photographer using the previous iOS App. When docking my iPad with iTunes a new version of the iOS App was installed and suddenly, I could no longer access these versions and it looks like I will have to download the entire set all over again. Clearly I won’t be doing this as I do not want to be in a relationship with any service provider that puts me it this position as part of their business model.

Regards

Dennis

alan_potter
wireless groping system
2,327 posts
Gallery: 164 photos
Joined May 2005

May 19, 2016 17:42 as a reply to  @ Tom Reichner's post |  #20

Tom,

You make a fair point; what I think is different is the specificity (if that's a word - the specific-ness) of the purchase. So, since netflix doesn't offer this comparison, let's think of Amazon video.

If I use Amazon Instant Video, I am renting access to a library of videos. I expect that when I stop paying for access, I lose access.

But if I purchase digital rights-to-view, I expect that to be for life. As I believe it is with Amazon - though I might now go and check.

Claire,

Thank you for braving this lion's den. Your points about the difficulties facing a small publishing house are well made. But I fear your company has made the wrong choice. I can only speak for how I consume magazines, but I do like reading paper magazines. But my house gets terribly cluttered, and I have to throw them out. I want the digital copy to last me forever - or at least for as long as it conceivably relevant - whether or not I continue to subscribe.

I hope this is useful market research feedback

/alan

Falkirk, Scotland.
Project 365 Blog (external link) | flickr (external link)

eosmag
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined May 2016

May 20, 2016 08:45 as a reply to  @ alan_potter's post |  #21

Alan,

Thanks for your feedback (and for not clawing me to death as I step into the den).

Your preference for print with a digital back-up is mirrored by over a third of our subscribers. We offer exactly this – print magazine with digital library access via a browser, with issues downloadable as PDFs (and therefore permanently retained).

A second option we offer is print only or digital only (browser-based). A third alternative is the app-only subscription.

The recent app upgrade now gives two choices: buy a single issue outright and keep each issue forever, or subscribe to access all available content and retain access whilst the subscription endures. Compare if you like to Apple: buy a single song or album and it's yours to keep; subscribe to Apple Music and listen to all available music content whilst you continue your subscription. Why should magazine content be any different?

Because a lot of our magazine content does not date – we write articles that are relevant to the entire Canon EOS system and not just for the latest cameras – there is value and relevance still in older issues. Therefore we actively made the choice to bring this extra content to app subscribers, for a nominal fee.

Right or wrong choice? I guess that's dependent on personal opinion. And that's exactly why we offer the alternatives. Though perhaps having the choice isn't always best, after all!

Claire

Claire Barrett
EOS magazine

eosmag
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined May 2016
Post edited over 2 years ago by eosmag.

May 20, 2016 08:51 as a reply to  @ nardes's post |  #22

Dennis – I'd really like the chance to redeem the magazine's virtue, albeit that the app situation may not be resolvable. I'll PM you with my email address and you can come back to me if you choose, else I've leave you alone.

Edit: except that I can't because I'm a noob, so perhaps you could PM me and I'll reply :)

Claire

Claire Barrett
EOS magazine

nardes
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,102 posts
Gallery: 153 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Jun 2009
Post edited over 2 years ago by nardes.

May 20, 2016 17:18 |  #23

eosmag wrote in post #18013021 (external link)
Dennis – I'd really like the chance to redeem the magazine's virtue, albeit that the app situation may not be resolvable. I'll PM you with my email address and you can come back to me if you choose, else I've leave you alone.

Edit: except that I can't because I'm a noob, so perhaps you could PM me and I'll reply :)

Claire

Hello, Claire

Thank you for your kind offer but I will not be pursuing this any further. This business model, with its practices and limitations, does not meet my requirements for entering into a mutually rewarding relationship with a service provider for my discretionary, recreational needs.

Wishing you and your publication all the best.:-)

Dennis

CanonCameraFan
Goldmember
1,639 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jul 08, 2016 21:38 |  #24

I may be late to the circus here. I've read EOS Magazine a few times, and found it quite good. I wish it was a monthly vs quarterly. I suppose the challenge in this thread is that the "App" version of a subscription does not allow a PDF download as a "Browser" version does. If this is accurate, it may behoove EOS Magazine to simply summarize these differences on their website so it is more obvious. THAT seems to be the foundation of the misunderstanding of subscription models. Excellent discussions throughout. :)

EOS 7D w/BG-E7 (3), 550EX (3), 430EX II, Vivitar 285HV, Opteka 6.5mm/3.5, Canon EF-S 10-18/4.5-5.6 IS STM, Canon EF-S 24/2.8 STM, Canon EF 40/2.8 STM, Canon EF 100mm/2.0 USM, Canon EF 70-300mm/4-5.6 L IS USM, Canon 77mm 500D Macro, Tamrac 614 Bag & 787 Backpack, Crumpler 8 MDH, 7 MDH, 6 MDH
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/johnebersole/se​ts/ (external link)

greyswan
Goldmember
1,077 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Dec 2007
Post edited over 2 years ago by greyswan.

Jul 09, 2016 09:42 |  #25

It seems the magazine is doing exactly what photographers do when licensing images, so I find it hard to find fault with their business methods. We don't grant lifetime rights to photos unless ample financial compensation is provided either. Kind of like the pot calling the kettle black IMHO.

As an aside, it takes brave souls to commit to publishing s magazine in today's climate of free everything, I also wish Eos the best.

Chris
A clean house is a sign that my computer's broken...
gallery:https://ephemerastudio​.smugmug.com/ (external link)
Gear: 50D, 300 f4L, 70-200 f4L, 100 1.28 Macro, nifty fifty.

sponsored links

5,199 views & 10 likes for this thread
Unwelcome news - digital version of EOS magazine on my iPad
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.