Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 11 Jul 2016 (Monday) 01:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon XTI to tablet for viewing

firme
293 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jul 11, 2016 01:38 |  #1

Hello everyone,

I have been looking for a method to view pictures I take from a Canon XTI and see them on my tablet. I currently have a Samsung Tab 7 and Ipad Mini. My purpose is to show clients pictures being taken on a "bigger" monitor or for me to view for my use.

I have been searching online and here. Was able to find a link to DSLR Controller and Apple's Camera Connection Kit. I did see that if I use the android version I can expand the size of the sd card. Not sure if the raw files are readable. With the Ipad I read I can view raw files but depending on size of Ipad, space may be limited. Which I only have 5 gb left. These I see are hardwired.

Is there another method for this to be sent to either tablet wireless? I know my camera is old. If a wireless method is possible, will it work with my camera?

Thank you in advanced for your help.

sponsored links
Canon ­ Amateur
275 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Jul 11, 2016 03:06 |  #2

A few ideas pop up in my mind.

Idea 1:
I once tried a CF adapter with an Eye-Fi card.
Use the Eye-Fi software on your Tab and/or iPad.
Within 3 feet it worked sort of.
If you walk around then the performance is very bad.

Idea 2:
Use a CF adapter and use an SD Card.
Setup your camera to shoot Raw and JPG.
With the camera connection kit you can copy the JPG's to the iPad.

Alternative:
Use a MicroSD adapter inside the CF adapter.
View the JPG's directly with the MicroSD in your Samsung tab.

Idea 3:
Hookup your XTi with USB to your laptop.
Use DigicamControl to capture to the laptop.
Hookup a "bigger" monitor as needed.
The captured picture can be shown on the second monitor.
However the XTi (400D) is not mentioned as a supported camera.
http://www.digicamcont​rol.com/cameras (external link)

I used this very succesfully to create my own (low cost) photobooth.

Idea 4:
Buy a portable WiFi router - TP Link MR3040.
Use the alternative firmware and use it with DSLRController on your Samsung Tab.
http://dslrcontroller.​com/guide-wifi_mr3040.php (external link)

I tried this once with a Canon 50D, and it worked pretty good.
The USB connection of the 50D itself was a little wornout so I lost connection at random times.
A carefully placed rubberband fixed it.

Canon EOS 1D Mark IV / Canon EOS M3 / Lytro illum

firme
THREAD ­ STARTER
293 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jul 11, 2016 14:47 |  #3

Thank you for your reply.

Idea 1: I had read about the Eye-Fi card also. Just wasn't sure if it really worked or not. I checked on amazon reviews where some said it did not work and others saying it work great. Does this allow to show to tablet every time I take a picture or is it more uploading like idea 2?

Idea 2: I wouldn't mind using this method, but the time to upload will depend on how many raw or jpg pictures I am trying to upload right?

Idea 3: You are correct, my camera is not in the list.

I guess I have to see which one works best for my needs. Really appreciate your help.

Canon ­ Amateur
275 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jul 12, 2016 08:42 |  #4

The main reason why performance is so low is because the Eye-Fi card is burried inside the body of the DSLR.
The WiFi radio signals do not have much room to 'escape'.
Within a few feet the signals are strong enough to reach the tablet/iPad/laptop to maintain a stable connection.
When you move further away the signal weakens very quick.

When you take a picture, the Eye-Fi card wants to transmit this picture over WiFi.
If your device is too far away then a stable connection cannot be made and your device cannot receive this picture.

If you do not make a picture, the Eye-Fi card eventually stops transmitting.

In my case the Eye-Fi card was not the problem but the magnesium body blocking the WiFi signals.
Also the CF adapter blocked a little bit.
This resulted in a narrow escape slot for the WiFi signals.
Pointing the camera in the other direction or moving away too far resulted in a "No-Go".

I have a mobi Pro version which is capable of creating an AP.

So idea 1: the upload to your iPad starts when the Eye-Fi card begins transmitting the picture.
(the Eye-Fi starts transmitting if it detects a new picture)

Idea 2: Setup your camera to record in Raw and JPG. If you only select the JPG's it will be a bit faster.

Idea 3: But that doesn't prevent you from trying. :lol:

firme
THREAD ­ STARTER
293 posts
Joined Mar 2012
Post edited over 3 years ago by firme.

Jul 12, 2016 21:06 as a reply to  @ Canon Amateur's post |  #5

Thank you for clarifying that. Does seem as it is a big headache to deal with idea 1. Although it seems that I am still leaning towards that option. Maybe I am just being stubborn. Also, before your last reply I emailed Eye Fi Card asking about using their mobi card with a CF card adapter and they told me that it will not work with my Xti. They did not guaranteed me it will work but that I can try it at my own rish. They also said that their CF card adapter had issues and was discontinued. I found this one in amazon:
https://www.amazon.com …&keywords=cf+ca​rd+adapter (external link)

For idea 3, if I wanted to connect to my tab would I need to get something like this?
https://www.amazon.com …eywords=Micro-B+to+Mini-B (external link)

Is there an adapter you recommend that I can use with my existing usb cable?

Thanks again.

Scooby_Doo
157 posts
Joined Nov 2010
Post edited over 3 years ago by Scooby_Doo. (2 edits in all)

Jul 12, 2016 22:51 as a reply to  @ firme's post |  #6

You can also grab a a RavPower Filehub (https://www.amazon.com …er-External/dp/B00AQUMZRA (external link)). My tablet doesn't have USBHost ability so I couldn't just hook-up the camera to it. The RavPower is basically a power-recharger, card reader and a wifi router host. Just insert the card into it, have your tablet connect to the device and download from there.

Ehh this is kinda like idea #4

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
9,345 posts
Joined May 2003

Jul 18, 2016 19:10 |  #7

RawDroid works well for viewing Canon RAW. Go to https://play.google.co​m …honymandra.rawd​roid&hl=en (external link) and see the app but note the comment on what you should download if you run Android 5+.

Canon ­ Amateur
275 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jul 22, 2016 12:48 |  #8

Scooby_Doo wrote in post #18065552 (external link)
You can also grab a a RavPower Filehub (https://www.amazon.com …er-External/dp/B00AQUMZRA (external link)). My tablet doesn't have USBHost ability so I couldn't just hook-up the camera to it. The RavPower is basically a power-recharger, card reader and a wifi router host. Just insert the card into it, have your tablet connect to the device and download from there.

Ehh this is kinda like idea #4

I liked the idea of the RavPower FileHub so I bought one.
http://www.ravpower.co​m …able-wireless-router.html (external link)

IMAGE: http://www.ravpower.com/media/pic/small/81-65001-001/RP-WD03-1.jpg

So now I can experiment with a CF-adapter with an SD card in my 7D, or with an SD-Card in my 1D3 (JPG only).
Thanks for the tip Scooby!

sponsored links

2,493 views & 4 likes for this thread
Canon XTI to tablet for viewing
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.