Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 04 Jun 2016 (Saturday) 11:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Anyone Use A Wordpress Plugin To Allow Clients to Review/Buy Photos

ready2go
646 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Jun 04, 2016 11:51 |  #1

My friend is a web designer and recently help me to migrate over to wordpress. I want the ability to provide my clients with access to their photos and then they pick and buy(or order) from that "gallery". Does anyone have recommendations on the best plugins to achieve this? TIA

6D, 70D, Pancake lens, Nifty Fifty, Sigma 50 Art, Canon 135LL IS, YN560 III

sponsored links
Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,171 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.
Post edited over 2 years ago by Dan Marchant.

Jun 06, 2016 03:31 |  #2

I believe that Next Gen Gallery Pro will do what you want. It has a built in ecommerce system.

Possible that the Ecwid ecommerce system might work but note sure if it has the necessary gallery aspect.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

-Pleiades-
Cream of the Crop
6,175 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 04, 2016 22:35 |  #3

Possibly a little bit late but I've just set up a wordpress website and have used Sunshine Photocart. It's basic but seems to be fairly functional.

~Kinnon~

Todd ­ Lambert
I don't like titles
12,625 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2009

Jul 13, 2016 15:13 |  #4

Don't use a plugin... at least for the display portion... just make every photo an individual post in WP. Then use categories and tags, to sort the results of photos.

On each individual photo page, you can easily place a link to any commerce solution you are using or even just use a paypal checkout button as it will take note of the page it came from, so you can tell what the person purchased. Most people don't need full e-commerce for things like photo printing.

You can see what I've outlined here, in use.. on my site ex: http://twilightscapes.​com/tag/light-painting/ (external link) (although I do not sell prints).

Good luck!

the ­ flying ­ moose
Goldmember
1,629 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jul 13, 2016 17:08 |  #5

Dan Marchant wrote in post #18030643 (external link)
I believe that Next Gen Gallery Pro will do what you want. It has a built in ecommerce system.

Possible that the Ecwid ecommerce system might work but note sure if it has the necessary gallery aspect.

I set up Next Gen Gallery to do just that. It gives you options to list what you want to sell. Say you only want to sell 5x7 prints. It gives you the option to only list 5x7 as what the client can purchase.

I did remove it though as I didn't use it nearly enough.

Nethawked
797 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2014

Jul 19, 2016 15:11 |  #6

One big limitation of NextGen Pro, there is no option to allow clients to download images without going through cart, and you cannot set up the cart without a price. This is a pain for me and my business model, but if you're just selling it will probably work for you.

Jethr0
Goldmember
1,049 posts
Gallery: 91 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Jul 21, 2016 18:26 |  #7

Nethawked wrote in post #18071691 (external link)
One big limitation of NextGen Pro, there is no option to allow clients to download images without going through cart, and you cannot set up the cart without a price. This is a pain for me and my business model, but if you're just selling it will probably work for you.

Check out this: http://themegoods.com/​themes/ (external link)

I purchased this theme: http://themes.themegoo​ds2.com/photography/la​nding/ (external link)

Has client proofing, ability for client to download zipped package from password protected page. I've been re-developing my site since i installed it yesterday. So far it's working great.

www.jefflowe.ca (external link)
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/jeff​lowe.ca (external link)

Dan ­ Marchant
5,171 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Jul 22, 2016 00:27 as a reply to  @ Jethr0's post |  #8

That looks like a very interesting theme. I am currently going through all the options in the demo. So far I really like the customization features.

I recently had a look at the replacement for Photocratti (Imagely) and was very disappointed that it had none of the customization options that had made Photocratti so good. While the framework underlying it may have been more compliant with current web technologies the end user experience for me was way worse.

As a photographer (rather than a web developer) I was able to quickly create a variety of customized themes using Photocratti. In Imagely I couldn't even find the bit of code that changes the font for the Title.

Dan Marchant
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

Nethawked
797 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2014
Post edited over 2 years ago by Nethawked.

Jul 22, 2016 09:08 |  #9

Thanks, this does look interesting. I will review the demos over the weekend. I'm not nuts about uplifting everything from my website. Photocrati as it is works for me because my main focus is setting up galleries rather than blogging or creating fancy pages.

With Photocrati + Nextgen Pro I use two additional plugins to help with enabling clients to download digital images:

Smart Passworded Pages
NextGEN Download Gallery

Nextgen Download Gallery uses a template with one of the original NextGen (not Pro) galleries to layout thumbnails and select individual, several or all photos (and I've adjusted the script to control resolution). It's a nice package that zips up all photos selected and provides one file for download. The problem, the latest NextGen Pro update broke its functionality, the download gallery plugin doesn't work anymore. By the way, it's not uncommon for NextGen updates to break other plugins, or even alter its own features. Very frustrating.

I was given a beta version of NextGen Pro which now includes code to offer free downloads, but once again they really didn't think it through - it's either all or nothing. I can't direct a client to a confidential page so that only their images are available. Sigh.

I've been exploring another gallery plugin, Envira (external link), that looks great. In addition to (I think) the functionality important to me, it's got great sharing capabilities and Lightroom integration. As well, apparently there is seamless migration from NextGen to Envira galleries (very important). Themegoods may as well, I haven't looked into it as thoroughly. Another benefit to Envira, WooCommerce (probably the best there is for ecommerce) is fully compatible.

Setting up a website is rewarding but it's a tremendous amount of work. I really don't want to completely redo everything, but I need to find a permanent solution that is easy to manage and update without struggling to maintain every time a theme or plugin changes. Photocrati/NextGen are making this very, very difficult lately.

Dan ­ Marchant
5,171 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Jul 22, 2016 22:32 |  #10

Jethr0 wrote in post #18073877 (external link)
Has client proofing, ability for client to download zipped package from password protected page. I've been re-developing my site since i installed it yesterday. So far it's working great.

So I noticed that the Photography demo has two "Shop" pages. Have you looked at these? Do they link to an ecommerce package in some way?

Also, have you looked at the documentation much? Is it any good? Do you even need it or is the system pretty self-evident. I notice that a link to it is shown in one of the screen shots and it is mentioned in a testimonial but there doesn't appear to be a link to it than non-customers can use to look at it. I'm afraid that hiding stuff like that, from potential customers, never inspires me with confidence.

Dan Marchant

Jethr0
Goldmember
1,049 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Jul 23, 2016 09:00 |  #11

Dan Marchant wrote in post #18074930 (external link)
So I noticed that the Photography demo has two "Shop" pages. Have you looked at these? Do they link to an ecommerce package in some way?

Also, have you looked at the documentation much? Is it any good? Do you even need it or is the system pretty self-evident. I notice that a link to it is shown in one of the screen shots and it is mentioned in a testimonial but there doesn't appear to be a link to it than non-customers can use to look at it. I'm afraid that hiding stuff like that, from potential customers, never inspires me with confidence.

There is an ecommerce solution through the woocommerce plugin. The theme offers templates that work with woocommerce from what I understand. I'm building that part this weekend so can't say how easy or hard it is to do. The documentation is well written and has guided me through things thus far. There's a link in the theme settings to it. The web support is very responsive. I had an issue on the first day and had a response within 2 hrs. They have a public and private ticket system. Have tried both and they work well.

Here's the documentation link: http://themes.themegoo​ds2.com/photography/do​c/ (external link)

Dan ­ Marchant
5,171 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Jul 23, 2016 21:29 as a reply to  @ Jethr0's post |  #12

Thanks for the info - that puts my worries to rest. Have looked at the various theme demos and there are a lot of page/gallery styles that I really like so if it can integrate with an ecommerce system that would be the final positive I need. I thought it might be Woocommerce and so spent last night checking out the WC plugin. Looks very good.

Dan Marchant

Jethr0
Goldmember
1,049 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Jul 23, 2016 21:48 |  #13

Dan Marchant wrote in post #18075725 (external link)
Thanks for the info - that puts my worries to rest. Have looked at the various theme demos and there are a lot of page/gallery styles that I really like so if it can integrate with an ecommerce system that would be the final positive I need. I thought it might be Woocommerce and so spent last night checking out the WC plugin. Looks very good.

One thing about this theme that's not evident in the docs... You need to set the page template in the classic editor then you can proceed with the content builder. You'll understand once you get into it.

Dan ­ Marchant
5,171 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Jul 25, 2016 10:24 as a reply to  @ Jethr0's post |  #14

Dumb question but have you been able to get the theme to display the site Title instead of the theme logo. I assumed that if I just turned off the logo the Title would appear at the top of the page as that is the standard fallback, but no luck and I can't seem to find any setting to enable it.

Dan Marchant

Jethr0
Goldmember
1,049 posts
Joined Aug 2012
Post edited over 2 years ago by Jethr0.

Jul 25, 2016 13:36 |  #15

Dan Marchant wrote in post #18077080 (external link)
Dumb question but have you been able to get the theme to display the site Title instead of the theme logo. I assumed that if I just turned off the logo the Title would appear at the top of the page as that is the standard fallback, but no luck and I can't seem to find any setting to enable it.

I haven't been able to find a way to do that. Am making a transparent logo PNG to replace the stock image that comes with the theme.
I meant to get to that this weekend but relaxing took priority :-)

EDIT: Looking at the documentation - it's not supported. https://themegoods.tic​ksy.com/ticket/654132 (external link)

sponsored links

5,369 views & 3 likes for this thread
Anyone Use A Wordpress Plugin To Allow Clients to Review/Buy Photos
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.